The whale's tooth scimitar is a Water Tribe weapon made by attaching the tooth of a whale to the end of a long, wooden stick. Although it may appear primitive, the scimitar can actually be deadly. Its small, mobile size is practical for close-range combat. The whale's tooth scimitar was used by warriors from both the Southern and Northern Water Tribes during the Hundred Year War.
When Zuko invaded the Southern Water Tribe village in search of the Avatar, Sokka bravely charged the young firebender with one of these weapons. However, Zuko quickly rendered the weapon useless by breaking the sharp top off with a few strong sweeps of his forearms. He ended up destroying the weapon completely by breaking it in little pieces. On Team Avatar's journey in the Earth Kingdom in the vicinity of an abbey, Aang found a blackened top of a whale's tooth scimitar which Sokka quickly identified to be a Water Tribe weapon. Hakoda and the Water Tribe forces also used them during the Invasion of the Fire Nation; Hakoda showed himself to be proficient with them as he defeated waves of Fire Nation soldiers.
- ↑ Avatar. Nickelodeon. Retrieved on January 1, 2013. Archived from the original on December 29, 2007.
- ↑ Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & MacMullan, Lauren (director). (December 2, 2005). "The Siege of the North, Part 1". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 19. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Filoni, Dave (director). (February 21, 2005). "The Avatar Returns". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 2. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Wilcox, Ian (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (October 7, 2005). "Bato of the Water Tribe". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 15. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (November 30, 2007). "The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 10. Nickelodeon.