Is it possible that there's more to Nickelodeon's favorite uncle than a few lengthy anecdotes and the ability to Firebend? I think so! In fact, I recently noticed some odd traits that the Dragon of the West shares with famous U.S. Congressman and three-time Presidential candidate, Representative Ron Paul of Texas. This might sound a bit far-fetched, but hear me out…
- Both men are old
- Both men served in their nation's military.
- Both are staunchly against war and favor peace.
- Iroh was cheated out of power by Ozai. Many people claim that Ron Paul was cheated out of the Presidency by the establishment as well.
- Iroh retired, leaving his legacy to us nephew, Zuko. Ron Paul is retiring, leaving his legacy to his son, Rand, who was elected Senator from Kentucky in 2010 and vows to carry on his father's message.
- Ron Paul is credited by many to be the "father" of the Tea Party movement, and we all know how Iroh feels about tea!
- The color of Iroh's nation is red; the color of Ron Paul's party, the Republican Party, is also red.
- Both men are incredibly modest.
- Both have built there own business. (tea shop, health clinic).
Updates (New Similarities)
- We never find out who Iroh's wife was. Similarly, Ron Paul's wife really kept herself hidden during his career. She was easily the least-known spouse of the 2012 campaign.
- Iroh: "There's nothing wrong with PEACE and PROSPERITY." Ron Paul wrote a book entitled Gold, Peace, and Prosperity and "Peace and Prosperity" is a major theme of his.
- Iroh lives in a world where a hard currency is used. Ron Paul believes America should return to the gold standard.
So, are you guys seeing what I'm seeing? I know I'm not the only one...