here a couple days late O_o So I got really into writing the next chapter for my fanon and totally blanked on the review.
Today, I have the pleasure of reviewing what may very well be my favorite fanon on this wiki:by . Aside from my major crush on Argho, there are a lot of things I think Mage does right in his fanon.
- Mistakes/Grammar: 9.5 Generally, the grammar of the fanon was awesome. There were a few hiccups here and there, but for the most part I didn't seem them unless I was looking for them (which I always am, hurhur).
- General Writing: 9.0 My biggest problem with Mage's writing in his other works was fixed here. All the sentences were varied and make my heart soar with happiness. You might be asking why I didn't give IAE a full ten out of ten, and the answer makes me sad. Every now and again, I found myself making conclusions that I don't feel like I should have to make. It's incredibly picky, but when I mistake a character's gender until I see a picture of him (even if I sometimes skim), I generally see that as a bit of a problem. Other than that, I really enjoyed everything about the writing of this work and could most often tell what was going on.
Writing Score: 9.3... A-
- Story: 9.4 While it is a continuation of other Mage's other works, the story of IAE works quite well on its own. Overall, I very much appreciate the depth of the work, and modern day Avatar makes me giddy. It was a bit predictable on occasion, but there were enough twists that I never found myself bored~
- Characters/Character Development: 8.4 For the most part, I thought the characters were excellently developed and thought out. Cookie-cutter protagonists and antagonists were a bit of a turn-off at a first glance, and continued to make me a bit uneasy throughout, however Mage's character development (as I commented on one chapter) is just wonderful. But I just can't get past the fact that for the most part, the characters all seemed like characters I would see in any random Shounen that I pick off the shelf of Japanese store I feel awkward going in because I'm white. It never really feels like any character remarkably stands out of stereotypes, and it's a bit of a disappointment to me.
- Genre (Adventure): 10.0 My biggest issue with Mage's labeling of genre in S&D was that I never really got the adventure vibe from his fanon, however I absolutely adored the adventure-y travelling parallel story-lines of IAE. If any fanon I've ever read is an adventure, it's this one. It clearly follows the lives of adventures and never seems to fall into a lull of keeping the pace of an adventure.
Content Score: 9.3... A-
Content Quality Categories
- Creativity: 9.3 Stories about new Avatars are fairly ubiquitous in the writing community, however Mage's incorporation of semi-modern elements really add zest to the creativity of the fanon. I mentioned a large amount of my issues with the creativity of the characters above, and some of the general predictability of some events pull down the score a bit.
- Believability: 8.8 As Mage incorporated more character development, there were some characters who seemed less and less believable. Their character developments just became a bit... much and as a result the story seemed less sincere, if that makes any sense.
Content Quality Score: 9.1... A-
Overall Score: 9.2... A-
My advice for Mageddon725: I felt like the character development and story in general was just a bit rushed. All of your ideas are excellent, but the character development in particular seems to kind of stumble forward. I'm pointing this out in particular because I sincerely think that your character development ideas are one of the strongest elements of this fanon. If you sit back a bit and take your time more I think that the characters will iron themselves out and not seem like spur-of-the-moment development, which is the vibe that occasionally would come across with some of the bigger development chapters. Other than that, just keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing what happens next, per usual.
What sort of person would enjoy It All Ends? Any person looking for a good adventure following a new Avatar, especially someone who read and even remotely enjoyed Mage's previous fanons ^^