- What were your thoughts on the Last Airbender movie?
- Actually I didn’t see that movie yet, which is no slight to the movie or M. Night. It’s just I lived with the animated series for five years and it became a phenomenon and I love the series. I just didn’t get around to watching it when it came out. There were all these reasons, I blogged about it and then I ended up having lunch with the creators Mike and Bryan. They’re like, “Don’t watch the film. You don’t even want to.” I’m sure I’ll catch it sooner or later. I’m a big M. Night fan anyway. I love Dev Patel as an actor so I’m sure I’ll see it. I just haven’t seen it yet.
- That’s the thing. When they were in pre-production and you heard M. Night Shyamalan was making a movie of your show, didn’t that seem like a good idea?
- Oh God, oh God, it seemed like a great idea. I’ve heard inner things from people about how things happened and what things happened. You know, he’s an artist and he tried to put his stamp on it and it’s one of those things, it’s hard to put your stamp on something that’s already its own powerful entity. Who knows? Some people loved it. A lot of people didn’t like it. Who’d want to do Star Wars if it was a famous comic book first? It would be so hard to accomplish that.
- Well, look, John Carter just tried to do that.
- I know, John Carter, it’s almost impossible. Maybe if it wasn’t as famous a director to do it who’d really follow the comic to the T, it might’ve been more successful. But when you’ve got a powerful director, of course they want to put their stamp on it.
- When James Cameron’s Avatar came out were you like, “Hey, that’s our name?”
- Yeah, that was a little bit of a weird time again, like how did this happen? It’s just weird how a lot of things happen simultaneously, names but again great film. It kind of established the film as The Last Airbender. So now the cartoon’s “Avatar,” the movie’s Avatar and the movie Airbender, so it’s distinguishing all the different Avatars.
- What’s going on with “The Legend of Korra?”
- We just started the new season, I think third or fourth episode. I have a role in it and I’m always proud to be a part of the “Avatar” family. Everything is hush-hush with it always. I’d get yelled at for even talking about it but I’m excited. I love the new show. I think they did a great job and I can’t wait to see how the fans take to it.
FYI, I first heard about Bryke advising Dante "not to watch the film" from Ted from LastAirbenderFans, who was informed of it off-the-record while he did an interview of Dante with Jordan from A:TLA-online last summer. This is the first time Dante actually goes on record of what Bryke advised him.
- ↑ Fred Topel (2012-05-21). Dante 'Rufio' Basco on the Asian Pacific Film Fest and the Hook Prequel. craveonline. Retrieved on May 22, 2012.
- ↑ Dante Basco (2010-07-01). The Last Airbender: To Boycott or Not?. wordpress. Retrieved on May 23, 2012.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqaqxnGKaRA
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQuGWtvsnec
Please stay civil. You should not harass other users or their views.