Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Now we know the outcome of AVATAR versus THE LAST AIRBENDER — it's a double knock-out! On March 14th 2012, Nickelodeon announced that the series be renamed from The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra (TLA:LoK) to just The Legend of Korra (TLoK), which is also the working title of the series when it was first announced.
The day before, Viacom, the parent company of Nickelodeon, applied "THE LEGEND OF KORRA" trademarks with USPTO for the same three class of products as TLA:LoK,
|IC 025 (Clothing), Filed 2012-03-13:|
|Clothing, namely, bathing suits, belts, halloween costumes, coats, socks, clothing belts, footwear, bandannas, dresses, gloves, gym shorts, ear muffs, neck wear, jackets, pajamas, pants, shirts, shorts, ski wear, slacks, sun visors,suspenders, sweaters, turtlenecks, underclothes, vests, warm-up suits, headwear, bathrobes, beachwear|
|IC 028 (Toys and sporting goods), Filed 2012-03-13:|
|Games and playthings, namely, card games, playing cards, darts, dolls; action figures and accessories thereof; stand alone video game machines utilizing cd rom's, stand alone video game machines, stand alone audio output game machines, and board games; sporting articles, namely, golf clubs, baseballs, footballs, paddle balls, baseball bats; decorations for christmas trees|
|IC 041 (Education and entertainment), Filed 2012-03-13:|
|Entertainment services in the nature of continuing program series, featuring live action, comedy and drama provided through cable television, broadcast television, internet, video-on-demand, and through other distribution platforms; providing online information in the field of entertainment concerning television programs|
Since these trademarks are very similar with the allowed trademarks TLA:LoK, there may be a good chance these will be approved by USPTO. Note that "Nickelodeon" is not prefixed with them, as done with trademarks for Avatar: The Last Airbender (A:TLA) and Avatar: Legend of Korra (A:LoK). If approved, TLoK episodes and products can be marked without "Nickelodeon" appearing anywhere.
What's interesting is that, on March 14th 2011, the same day the name change was announced, Viacom also requested for a 6-month extension to use the trademarks for "THE LAST AIRBENDER" (TLA), of which its allowance was expiring end of March. As far as I can tell, TLA was the original name intended for the follow-up series to A:TLA before Bryke convinced the studio executives to change it to A:LoK, which later failed due trademarking conflicts with James Cameron's Avatar and Uni Hosiery's undergarments.
I can think of a possible few reasons why Viacom requested for an extension:
- Viacom still need a franchise name for The Legend of Korra to fall under, so the words "The Last Airbender" may appear in the opening title sequence but not at the same time as "The Legend of Korra".
- Paramount is planning to release direct-to-video or television movies follow-up to M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender, like what happened to The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- Live-action mini-series reboot on HBO. Ok, that's kinda a stretch.
- Viacom trademark attorneys were instructed to automatically renew any allowed trademarks that are expiring, "just in case".
From your friendly neighborhood conspiracy nut, Hasdi Bravo. Enjoy the double knock-out video!
- ↑ Korra Nation (2012-03-14). What you’ve all been waiting for!. Tumblr. Retrieved on March 14, 2012.
- ↑ Nickelodeon greenlights new series from the creators of the animated television hit Avatar: The Last Airbender. Nickelodeon Communications (July 21, 2010). Retrieved on January 28, 2012.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Trademarks for Viacom International Inc. (VIACOM)
- THE LEGEND OF KORRA
- THE LAST AIRBENDER: LEGEND OF KORRA
- NICKELODEON AVATAR: LEGEND OF KORRA
- THE LAST AIRBENDER
- AVATAR HIGH (IC 041): Registered on 2004-11-09, Cancelled 2011-06-10
- NICKELODEON AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER (IC 041): Registered on 2005-09-27
- AVATAR: AUTUMN TWILIGHT (IC 041): Registered on 2006-05-02
- Trademarks for Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation (FOX)
- Trademarks for Uni Hosiery Inc., Co
- AVATAR (IC 025): Registered on 2007-07-17
- International trademark classes
- Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)
- Avatar High, a teennick online game, not related to Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Avatar: Autumn Twilight, a single player 3D RPG that was playable on Nick.com, based on Avatar: The Last Airbender.