This blog was conducted by the Fanon Review Squad.
Hello, this is BlackMonkey, signing in to review Next Generations by .
This fanon tells the tale of Team Avatar and their children, who have to save the world once again when former Admiral Zhao escapes prison. The villain and his cronies' reign gets bigger and bigger as he tries to regain his honor, and the only person who can save the world is Aang, who has to take care of his children. What will he do? Will he leave all the children raising on Katara?
So, with six chapters published, I read Next Generations, and was impressed. I will admit, there are much better stories out there, but this was a lot nicer than I was expecting. I was never a big fan of "After The War" fanons, but Next Generations is different from most, and actually a fairly enjoyable read. For a fanon by a beginning author, Next Generations is great.
- Story - 9.1: Something I liked about this fanon. Generally speaking, everything happens at a good pace.
- Action - 7.4: Team Avatar hasn't done much but build and learn, but the Zhao and Old Glory Gang scenes are action-packed, and keep you reading.
- Writing - 6.9: Again, for a beginning author, it is well-written. But some small things happen too quickly, and there isn't much description in some scenes. Many a time I found myself lost, trying to figure out what is happening.
- Creativity - 8.6: Most "After the War" fanons are just Azula and Ozai escaping jail, civilians in the Fire Nation wanting to overthrow down Zuko, and Earth Kingdom men trying to take revenge on the Fire Nation. This not like the others, and that's one of the reasons I like it a lot. At the same time, the names, such as Mai and Zuko's child named Maiko, are a bit dull.
- Believability - 7.8: Much of the dialect and jokes are unreal, and seem strange for the characters to say. But the basic "cause and effect" of the story fits very well, and I don't think I have ever said to myself anything like, "What? That wouldn't happen." while reading. The things that happen would happen.
Average Score: 8.0
Note: All scores are out of ten
Advice for Bahjy1: Keep doing what you're doing! Just work on your writing a bit, and make sure that your character's speech seems believable. Also, make sure that there's some action in every seen. Just a little makes all the difference. Other than that, keep on writing. Next Generations has got some potential!
What kind of users should read Next Generations? Any one who wants a creative "After the War" fanon that isn't like many others should read this. And if you want to see more old villains, it will also be a good choice. Kataang, Sukka, and Maiko fans will be sure to like it.