Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hello fellow Avatards! It'shere with yet another interview for the Fanon Fact Finders! This time, I interviewed the one and only about his fanon ! It's a crossover between the characters from LOK and the most hardcore original character, John Rider from our world. What do you get when those two worlds collide? Chaos, casualities, and even a little romance! Lets see what Jacob13Kyle had to say about this interesting story...
1. How are you?
I'm good. Been pretty busy and things have been hectic but I'm hanging in there
2. Who or what is the inspiration for John Rider? Is there even an inspiration?
More of an assembly of a character. When I first began writing the story, I pictured what kind of character I wanted. After that I went back to the original series and looked for a character to base that off of. I didn't find one. So I began building an entirely new character from scratch. Looks were inspired partly by Iroh II. But other then that he's totally original.
3. Why did you choose for the world where Rider is from (our world) to have bending abilities?
The idea of having John make the crossing without bending abilities and then developing them later wasn't appealing to me. Making bending exist in our world not only explained how he knew firebending, but it gave me an excuse to explain why a guy his age was so talented at fighting. Saying that benders were hunted not only added to that need to fight, but also provided him with insight into what the world might look like if Amon seceded.
4. What made you decide to write a fanon of two different worlds crossing?
I've always been a fan of travel between alternate worlds and the idea of parallel universes. The story originated from a conversation I was having with a friend of mine. The basis was what would happen if you sent someone from our world to that world. From there the story grew into what it is now.
5. Why did you choose for this to be set in Korra (and sorta Aang's) era?
Don't get me wrong, I loved the time frame and the story in ATLA, (if you don't believe me, check out the prologue) but I love the events and the technology of korra's time. Battleships, radios, telephones, cars, biplanes, the list of stuff that I'm writing about goes on and on.
6. Was is hard to add John into the original story and make him the most central character?
There were times, yes. In some scenes I could just slip him right in, and in others I had to seriously spend time brainstorming about how to make it work.
7. I thought it was an interesting twist of events to make John the love interest for Korra. Why'd you write for it to be this way?
When I first came up with the idea I hesitated to even write it down because I was strong supporter of canon relationships. But as time went on and the more I thought about it, I began to favor it. I reviewed Korra's and Mako's relationship and noticed that one thing Mako lacked was patience. Then I looked over John's personality and realized that he and Korra would be a good match as he actually had the patience to deal with Korra's random spurts of childish behavior. After that, it evolved from there.
8. With that being said, what ship do you prefer: Makorra or Johnorra?
Johnorra? Jorra? Wow I've never actually thought about what to call that ship. Maybe Kohn? I'll have to look into that. I was a fan of Makorra, and I say was because this past season really left me disappointed in Mako. Going back to Asami one week after breaking it off with Korra? I didn't care for that at all. So yeah, I guess I prefer her with John over mako any day
9. Any reason you chose for Eve to die?
When I originally began writing her character, Eve was intended to be John's primary love interest. But as time went on, I found that her usefulness as a character was becoming less and less. Eventually I reached an impasse: Korra and John's relationship was beginning and Eve's usefulness after book 1 and early book 2 had run its course. So rather then have John and Eve break up, I made her a casualty of war. In the end I think the story was better off, as her death opened the doorway to the darker side of John's personality.
10. I like the idea of matterbending. How'd you come up with it?
Matterbending is an idea that actually predates the story itself and even legend of korra. A hardcore avatar fan and myself got together one day and discussed a bending art that could be a possible sixth element. Overtime the idea was refined and studied to the point that it became what it is today.
11. In the original show, we learned that airbenders were all about peace. Why is Leon so involved with war if he's an airbender?
Leon and his family come from an airbending group in Ireland. While the original airbenders were all about peace and harmony, leon's group understood the need to fight in order to survive. In a sense, they are still airbenders, but just more prone to violence.
12. Why did you decide to include yourself into the story? That was a very different, but cool thing that I've never seen happen in a fanon
When I sat down to begin mapping out book 3, I decided to have a chapter or two where korra visits our world. Adding myself in not only threw the audience a curve ball, but it added a since of realism into the story. Did I actually meet these two and was inspired to write this story because of that encounter? Probably not. But there will always be a small part of you that will wonder
13. Is there anything that differs from the Jacob in this fanon to the Jacob in real life?
A lot of what is shown in the fanon is true in real life. However there are a few differences: the real Jacob doesn't suffer from the migraines to the level like that in the fanon. He no longer works on the family farm, he didn't encounter a crack in time when he was 7, and if John had tackled him like that in real life he would have shot first and asked questions later.
14. If you could rewrite any part of this fanon, what part would it be?
I'd have to say the earlier chapters, not so much for the plot but more to update and fix the grammar.
15. What can we expect to see happen in The Gunfighter's future?
Expect to see everything from aerial dogfights, to mecha tank combat, to an airship attack as the climax draws close. And, just maybe, a happy ending.
Aaaaand now....time for.....*drum roll* bonus questions for the interviewer!!!
16. Having read the story, and followed him through all his ups and downs, what do you expect to see happen to John in the end?
Well, I expect for him to have some little external problems to deal with in the world and of course some internal problems that all characters have, but in the end, I hope for him to have a happy ending with Korra.
17. In the most recent chapter, Jacob warned of a betrayal by someone close to John, who do you think the traitor is?
Who else other than Ethan Alexander? I hope it's not someone like Leon..
18. In "The South", John has a nightmare in which he sees four children and what they grow up to become. In your opinion, who do you think this children are?
His and Korra's. It seems a little out of character for Korra to have so many, but then again, it was just a dream.
19. Having completed the story so far, what is your honest opinion of the story? What did you like or not like?
I really like how it is in Korra's era, but it focuses on this other character from a completely different world. And the way you add John into the story is very creative and well done. For future reference, I suggest adding maybe a little extra detail into the chapters and double check spelling and grammar. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed reading your fanon and look forward to what the future chapters involve! :)
20. What do you think? Johnorra? Jorra? Kohn? Which one sounds best?
Well, I thought up Johnorra since the kiss in Book 1, but I guess Jorra could also work. As for Kohn, eh, not really a fan of that one. I think maybe Jorra would probably be the best fit.
That's all, folks! Thank you to Jacob13Kyle for giving me the opportunity to read his epic fanon! If you haven't read it yet, I'd definitely recommend it! :D