FANDOM


  • Hi.I'm a master of debating,and a Zutarian,so I decided to start a thread of why Kataang makes sense.Katara clearly would be happier with Zuko,so why did Bryke change her original love interest?Let's find out!

      Loading editor
    • Zuko was never her original love interest. The most "shippy" they got was when Katara gave Zuko a hug in The Southern Raiders, but that was when she finally forgave him for the things he'd done against them in the past. They never had a "spark" or anything like that to begin with.

        Loading editor
    • yeah,but why would Zuko risk his life for Katara?!And Katara's body language when Aang randomly grabs her and kisses her is saying "dont touch me".And Katara clearly has abandonment issues,as shown in season 3 when she's mad at Hakoda for leaving to fight the fire nation.Aang is always just taking his glider and flying off somewhere.Zuko wouldn't do that;he takes responsibility for his actions.Aang doesn't support Katara as much as Zuko:Aang didn't help Katara avenge her mother.Oh and Yon Rha pretty much deserved to die.


      Now prove why Kataang is so worthy of being a ship.

        Loading editor
    • I'd do that, but I have a lot more fun nitpicking why arguments are invalid. :P

      1. They were close friends at the time of Sozin's Comet. Anyone else in Team Avatar would've done the same for each other.

      2. When did this happen?

      3. "Abandonment" regarding family and a father figure is far different from being adandoned by a boyfriend.

      4. On the contrary, both were very supportive of each other.

      5. Aang discouraged revenge because he wasn't brought up that way. He also couldn't help because Zuko was the only one who knew anything about the Fire Nation or, more specifically, the Southern Raiders.

      6. Whether or not you think Yon Rha deserved to die is irrelevant. Also, it's really not a "ship" if it was canon; they married, started a family, and lived a long, happy life together.

        Loading editor
    • SorcererSupreme21 wrote:
      I'd do that, but I have a lot more fun nitpicking why arguments are invalid. :P

      1. They were close friends at the time of Sozin's Comet. Anyone else in Team Avatar would've done the same for each other.

      2. When did this happen?

      3. "Abandonment" regarding family and a father figure is far different from being adandoned by a boyfriend.

      4. On the contrary, both were very supportive of each other.

      5. Aang discouraged revenge because he wasn't brought up that way. He also couldn't help because Zuko was the only one who knew anything about the Fire Nation or, more specifically, the Southern Raiders.

      6. Whether or not you think Yon Rha deserved to die is irrelevant. Also, it's really not a "ship" if it was canon; they married, started a family, and lived a long, happy life together.

      No.3 is kind of undermining yourself,because Aang got brother zoned by Katara.

      No.1 If Zuko could reach Katara before the lightning hit her,she could have dodged it.

      No.2 All the time. Katara always looked so tense and surprised.

      No.4 Katara was supportive of Aang.Aang didn't return the favor.

      No.5 If Aang can't even kill a guy who ordered the murder of thousands of people,including his own people,himself and his son,he has mental problems.Zuko can dish out justice where needed.

        Loading editor
    • There are still Zutarians in 2016? Even the creators laughted at you on episode 57

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes wrote: yeah,but why would Zuko risk his life for Katara?!And Katara's body language when Aang randomly grabs her and kisses her is saying "dont touch me".And Katara clearly has abandonment issues,as shown in season 3 when she's mad at Hakoda for leaving to fight the fire nation.Aang is always just taking his glider and flying off somewhere.Zuko wouldn't do that;he takes responsibility for his actions.Aang doesn't support Katara as much as Zuko:Aang didn't help Katara avenge her mother.Oh and Yon Rha pretty much deserved to die.


      Now prove why Kataang is so worthy of being a ship.

      What a lack of understanding the series. No offense, but when I see Zutaraians on the internet, it makes me wonder if there is 2 versions of Avatar. Ok so first of all, thats how the team work. Everyone for each other. And Katara risked herself to Aang and Aang for herx it's not saying anything.

      2. You talking about episode 57? And what about The Day of the black sun? And when she get jealous when he's around with other girls? And Aang was the first boy she kissed (cheek counts too).


      3. Aang leaving was one of my favourite things in the series. He left for her sake, when he felt he's risking her, and he maybe even thought that they would never be together. But Katara closed the circle from Book 1- preferring Aang over her family, instead of family above Aang. The time he was almost died make her realize how she feels about him, even though her feelings aren'nt always 100% clear.

      4. Zuko helped her for himself (he just wanted her not to hate him). What Aang did, that's a real help. And after sometime, she realized who really helped her- the one who wants her to recover and grow, or the one who just want revenge.

      Aang and Katara have so many things in common. I really don't know what change from episode 57 to 61, but very inside she wanted him.

      About Zuko- "give me one reason to think you might hurt Aang, and you won't have to worry about your destiny anymore. Because I'll make sure your destiny ends ... right then and there. Permanently."

      Yea, I think it's obvious. Here you go

        Loading editor
    • "Katara was supportive of Aang.Aang didn't return the favor."

      That's what I thought on the first time. When you watch the series again, you understand that he helped her his own way. And she knows that. Only thing he cared about was her, so he risked his life a lot of times for her. About her mother, it's seem some ungrateful, but he helped her his way and instead of talking about past issues he rather build the future, like with his nation.

      I know Katara and Aang had a lot of bad moments, but each one of them understand the other completley, and they realized it in the end, even without words. Plus they had one year to talk about what happend in the war, and it's look like they realky talked about it (how she know what happend between Aang and Pathic then).


      He and Katara may be good friene after all he did for her. Plus, Zuko likes Mai. Not to mention 'opposite attractive' is not a real thingm Something else, Im sure Zuko was glad for them when he saw them kissing in the end.

        Loading editor
    • Thing is,Katara treats aang like a brother. Not a boyfriend. You need to say why Kataang is so good and not just disprove my argument

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes wrote: Thing is,Katara treats aang like a brother. Not a boyfriend. You need to say why Kataang is so good and not just disprove my argument

      Actually, I can write a book about why they are amazing together. not to mention that Kataang automatically wins since the reasons for Zutara moves from 'Zuko is hot and Katara is cute so they need to be together' to reasons with a serious miss understanding the series.

      So for our both sake (that I won't write a book here) you want me to explain the change through the series or to explain why they are good as couple?

        Loading editor
    • To be blunt: while I disagree that Kataang came off one-sided, it did come off like overly-auspicious puppy-love (and I think it gets far more of a free pass from the fandom than certain other pairings I could name but won't).

      Now, with that out of the way: Zutara was never deliberately 'shipteased in the show proper.  Nickelodeon, however, manufactured a supposed 'shiptease between them to troll the fans (part of which was the claim that they were originally supposed to be endgame).

        Loading editor
    • I'm Kataang, all the way! Why? Because I love Aang and Katara!

        Loading editor
    • Zutara shipper here. From what I've seen, there wasn't much romantic stuff going on with Katara with anyone (except Jet). Even Kataang (which I don't hate, just dislike) only had 1 or 2 moments. I can only really remember the dance scene, which was kinda unimportant, and the kiss in "The Cave of Two Lovers", which was sort of forced by the plot. Some Kataang shippers out there like to cite the times Aang kissed Katara without her wanting him to as "romantic", but it's just rude and one sided tbh. And while it's true that they supported each other (as good friends should), I'm pretty sure Katara gave more than she recieved, as a mother/older sister sometimes does. Regardless, their relationship probably should've waited a little: Aang's still like 12 and Katara went immediately from confused (yet she wasn't confused about Jet) to girlfriend (and little else, if you consider the comics canon).

        Loading editor
    • Oh yeah, and Maiko wasn't very healthy and also possibly symbolizes Zuko's old life that he was trying to get away from. Like, Mai had a crush on kid Zuko, a completely different person, and the two weren't shown catching up on lost time by talking about it or anything ("I just asked if you were cold, I didn't ask for your whole life story"). They just got straight into the physical/conflict-prone relationship. Mai liked him when he hated the world, AKA not the real Zuko. He was morally driven, she was apathetic to even her own family. They may have cared about each other, but they were completely different people. If you're going to criticize the "opposites attract" thing, start here. At least Zuko and Katara don't have conflicting beliefs, and they are only symbolic opposites.

        Loading editor
    • About Zutara itself, I'll try and keep it short ;))). It's not really about the whole pirates thing, or "opposites attract", or "good girl and bad boy" shit. At first, I had no reason to ship it because Zuko was an antagonist. As the series went on, I saw the connection they had in the crystal catacombs, and how they really weren't so different at heart, despite their backgrounds. When Zuko helped Katara find Yon Ra, he wasn't encouraging her to go on a murderous rampage (he tried to help Zhao after all he had done, for one).( I think it's weird how people say that Katara's decision was somehow because of Aang. She neither killed nor forgave the man, and it was her own choice, nothing less. ) By the end, she forgave him because she wanted to. Like come on, does she look like she still hates him for what he did in Books 1+2, as she gives him an enthusiastic hug? They gave each other support and listened to each other, yet Katara didn't seem to "mother" him. They saved each other's lives several times (especially when Zuko did a slo-mo leap to save her while dramatically screaming "NOOOOO", or Katara was in tears after she healed him). Clearly they were at least very close friends. I know none of this is really romantic (see their embarrassed reactions in "The Ember Island Players" and "Sozin's Comet" when this is teased), but it still would make a great relationship given time. (also, it might've helped relations between the southern water tribe and the fire nation).

        Loading editor
    • I'll let someone who cares more than I do handle the minutiae of the subject, but I will say this:

      Kataang is canon, extensively foreshadowed, & if you read the comics, clearly not a turbulent relationship. It's dull & cliche, but that's beside the point.

      Zutara, on the other hand, is just an utter crackship. There's absolutely no hint of it in the series & the "Katara views Aang like a brother" argument is openly mocked by Ember Island Players.

      Maiko is irrelevant, the thread is "Zutara vs. Kataang."

      Thus far, I'm not impressed by the quality of the arguments in this thread that purport to prove otherwise. They tend to be either unsupported generalized assertions ("Katara never enjoyed it when they kissed"), irrelevancies ("Aang didn't help kill Yon Rha"), or just plain inaccuracies ("They changed the love interest.")

      Then there's the whole "you have to support your side, you can't just point out problems in ours" thing. Firstly, I think you should deliver on your own hype before making demands of anyone else. If there's such a strong case for Zutara...please explain this shit. Secondly, I can see Doratchi has already given a number of arguments in support of his side anyway.

        Loading editor
    • Really? It's been how many years since ATLA ended and people are still doing this Zutaran thing? Even after LOK showed they stayed together, married and had kids and grandkids, we're still having this discussion? Alright, fine, let's rehash this old thing. The argument to me is simple; Kataang is canon, was planned out and favored by the authors from day 1; Zutara is nothing more than a pipe dream some fangirls came up with, something that even the creators themselves criticized. These arguments for Zutara/against Kataang i'm seeing here are the same arguments Zutarans have been citing for years, most of which are rather faulty in my eyes. I don't even have a problem with Zutara in and of itself; it's just that i find it strange that people are so persistent/devoted to this one particular fanon ship out of the myriad of ships that came out of ATLA.

        Loading editor
    • It wasn't "fangirls." It was deliberately manufactured by Nickelodeon to troll the fans, irrespective of Bryke's intent (as evidenced by Avatar Extras).

        Loading editor
    • Rexcollis45 wrote: About Zutara itself, I'll try and keep it short ;))). It's not really about the whole pirates thing, or "opposites attract", or "good girl and bad boy" shit. At first, I had no reason to ship it because Zuko was an antagonist. As the series went on, I saw the connection they had in the crystal catacombs, and how they really weren't so different at heart, despite their backgrounds. When Zuko helped Katara find Yon Ra, he wasn't encouraging her to go on a murderous rampage (he tried to help Zhao after all he had done, for one).( I think it's weird how people say that Katara's decision was somehow because of Aang. She neither killed nor forgave the man, and it was her own choice, nothing less. ) By the end, she forgave him because she wanted to. Like come on, does she look like she still hates him for what he did in Books 1+2, as she gives him an enthusiastic hug? They gave each other support and listened to each other, yet Katara didn't seem to "mother" him. They saved each other's lives several times (especially when Zuko did a slo-mo leap to save her while dramatically screaming "NOOOOO", or Katara was in tears after she healed him). Clearly they were at least very close friends. I know none of this is really romantic (see their embarrassed reactions in "The Ember Island Players" and "Sozin's Comet" when this is teased), but it still would make a great relationship given time. (also, it might've helped relations between the southern water tribe and the fire nation).

      1. If you counting tears as something, than what about Aang? She cried harder on him dozens of time.

      2. Zuko saving her doesn't count too, since Aang did it a lot of times.

      3. Katara kissed Aang on cheek 3 times *not as a mother*, and even when Aang kissed her at first she leaned in and kissed back. I can give you something like 20 explainations when she *kind of* took it back on the Ember Island show.

      4. Her desicion was because of herself but also because of Aang, he helped her figure it out. Look what I wrote few commets before about this episode.

      5. Katara and Aang have so much in common and they have amazing chemistry, Zutara not. She liked him since the very beginning, and it just grew stronger and purer as the series goes by. Aang gave her a lot too (maybe not in conversations, but with other things) and all the Zutarians saying she treats him like a brother- you need to watch the show again. And they have many more moments than just The Cave of 2 lovers and the dance.

      And what was that thing with the comics non canon? Sure they are

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote: I'll let someone who cares more than I do handle the minutiae of the subject, but I will say this:

      Kataang is canon, extensively foreshadowed, & if you read the comics, clearly not a turbulent relationship. It's dull & cliche, but that's beside the point.

      Zutara, on the other hand, is just an utter crackship. There's absolutely no hint of it in the series & the "Katara views Aang like a brother" argument is openly mocked by Ember Island Players.

      Maiko is irrelevant, the thread is "Zutara vs. Kataang."

      Thus far, I'm not impressed by the quality of the arguments in this thread that purport to prove otherwise. They tend to be either unsupported generalized assertions ("Katara never enjoyed it when they kissed"), irrelevancies ("Aang didn't help kill Yon Rha"), or just plain inaccuracies ("They changed the love interest.")

      Then there's the whole "you have to support your side, you can't just point out problems in ours" thing. Firstly, I think you should deliver on your own hype before making demands of anyone else. If there's such a strong case for Zutara...please explain this shit. Secondly, I can see Doratchi has already given a number of arguments in support of his side anyway.

      That's some words!

      But personal words- I think that a lot of people (and me) really liked them just because they have healthy and quite reletionship. My english isn't great so read what Gene said about it:

      https://www.google.co.il/amp/www.cbr.com/exclusive-yang-guides-avatar-the-last-airbender-through-smoke-and-shadow/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

        Loading editor
    • I'm not one of those people who thinks that a healthy relationship can't be interesting. I think Bones became more interesting after they stopped beating around the bush & had the central pair finally get together like they were obviously going to. It didn't kill the show like producers predicted it would.

      However, there are still a lot of ups & downs in that relationship which make it interesting. They deal with addiction, issues with their kids, issues with their jobs, & so forth. With Kataang, the dynamic hasn't really changed much from the original series, except occasionally they drop a "sweetie" or something to remind us that they're dating.

      As a side note, I've never noticed any glaring problems with your English.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote: I'm not one of those people who thinks that a healthy relationship can't be interesting. I think Bones became more interesting after they stopped beating around the bush & had the central pair finally get together like they were obviously going to. It didn't kill the show like producers predicted it would.

      However, there are still a lot of ups & downs in that relationship which make it interesting. They deal with addiction, issues with their kids, issues with their jobs, & so forth. With Kataang, the dynamic hasn't really changed much from the original series, except occasionally they drop a "sweetie" or something to remind us that they're dating.

      As a side note, I've never noticed any glaring problems with your English.

      First, thank you. Secondly, Im really agree with you about that. Actually you are not 100% right since they have some nice moments (End of The Promise, whole of the search, part 3 of The rift). Also, they had some hard times together, but I guess as times goes by looks it's made them better as a couple. My main expectation of N&S is to show more of them as couple, and you don't always need too much pages to do that (some conversations about their future together like where they going to live and how, and about her dealing with the same issue he dealt before, putting picture of them together in the house they live like Zuko and Mai would be really nice)

        Loading editor
    • I read a commet of someone one S&S that Gene 'want to add some drama between Aang and Katara in the next series'

      Is anyone heard of that? I didn't found any source in the internet

        Loading editor
    • Well, no relationship is perfect. I am kinda looking forward to some realism in their relationship.

        Loading editor
    • SorcererSupreme21 wrote: Well, no relationship is perfect. I am kinda looking forward to some realism in their relationship.

      Like Part 2 of The Promise?

        Loading editor
    • http://themelonlordapproves.tumblr.com

      Wow this tumblr is exactly what I think

      Im happy someone finnaly write things down...some people should really read this tumblr, espacially Zutarians

        Loading editor
    • [...]people should really read[...]tumblr

      Calm down, Satan.

      Actually, though not really related to the topic, that really puts Pathik's instructions into a new perspective. I think I might save this to whip out in future discussions about chakras.

      Edit: Though I have now read about half of the posts on that page, & I'm not really all that impressed*. The "Fandom Psychology" one I think is Freudian nonsense & I have my doubts if its basic premise is even true. I've certainly seen people hate Zuko. The supposition on Katara & Azula I'm 50/50 on. A lot of times I think it misses the point, or at least attacks weaker versions of the point while ignoring stronger ones. For example, Aang the character may not voice the opinion that he's entitled to Katara, but it's hard to argue that the narrative does not treat it as a "save the world, get the girl" situation. Even Bryan says this bothered him.

      There's also a couple of things it makes excuses for that annoy me. If it were anyone else but Aang, I don't think the Ember Island Players kiss would be as easily forgiven. Both Bolin & Korra were pretty harshly judged for doing basically the same thing. And again with the friggin' Lion Turtle Deus Ex Machina denialism. Look, it's by definition a Deus Ex Machina. True, Lion Turtles were foreshadowed (barely), but there was never any indication they had magic powers like energybending or the ability to find the Avatar through...telepathy or something, I guess. And the whole reason the Lion Turtle exists is to solve the seemingly unsolvable problem of how to beat Ozai without killing him. Comes out of nowhere to solve a seemingly unsolvable problem, those are the 2 conditions for a Deus Ex Machina. What does NOT make something a Deus Ex Machina: Whether or not people think it's a good plot device, whether or not it was fitting the character development or themes, or whether or not something like that could hypothetically exist in the world.

      On this note, it also criticizes people for not bashing Katara for sparing Azula, but this is another case where I think the author is missing the point. Katara does not just have a magic solution fall in her lap because she wishes hard enough upon a star. Convenient topography, sure, but waterbending runs on that in general. No, Katara finds a solution herself & does not risk the safety of the world on a fight she could easily end another way but chooses not to because Honor Before Reason.

      The reason we should have a problem with the way that plot device is resolved is that it's a non-solution. What if this magic solution did not fall into Aang's lap as, you know, that would never happen realistically? We don't actually know if he would kill Ozai, we just know that he says he has no choice, without any real conviction. What we also know is that the fate of the whole world is riding on what Aang does here, & he chooses to risk possible defeat on the gamble that he can beat Ozai without killing him. Note that Aang gets pushed into a corner in that fight due to his hesitance to use lethal force, & it's only convenient topography that saves the day. Which is kind of the problem with this in general, the reason people like soldiers & police don't tend to use nonlethal force when the "bad guy" is already using lethal force against them is because, barring magic, nonlethal force tends to be less effective & when it's a life or death situation, every move, every second counts. Now, the blog argues the political ramifications of killing Ozai, but even assuming this is worth the risk to avoid, it's not really a factor in Aang's decision. At no point does he ever say that the reason he can't kill Ozai is because of the long term consequences it will have for the war. So that's really a moot point.

      Now, I've never bought into the argument that cartoons need to "teach lessons" & that kids derive their sense of ethics based on what they see on the screen, & this is a good example why. If we really believe kids are just sponges that absorb whatever the TV tells them, sure you can argue this teaches them good things like not to cave into peer pressure & not to kill, but it also teaches them that they should stubbornly cling to their opinions even in the face of overwhelming evidence that their side is wrong & that just wishing will make a solution to their problems just fall into their laps.

      • =Though, in the interests of fairness, the opposition to it is generally worse.
        Loading editor
    • what the hell have i created

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes wrote: what the hell have i created

      That's what every zutarian should ask himself

      Really, how the hell can someone create that ship and still call himself fan (no problem with other shippings, everyone and what he is like, but when you starting to act like that's what shown in the series, and attack Aang without using common sense, then so the quiestion is what the hell you are created)

      And I never saw a Zutarian answering back to the facts. It's a shipping which built on hate (for kataang and the creators) and imaginations, without using any common sense.

      I think that everyone should really ignore that part of the fandom.

        Loading editor
    • So I just sorta skimmed the first couple comments on here (was too lazy to read to whole thing :\), so Imma just start fresh on this comment.

      Okay, so I know some common pro-Zutarian arguements, and will explain why I think they're bogus.

      "They had so much chemistry!"

      Um, not really. They were just friends with each other, like they were with everybody else on Team Avatar.

      "Zuko saved Katara!"

      Um, yeah, they're friends. It's not like he'd just let her die simply because he's not in love with her. Ridiculous argument in favor of Zutara.

      "Aang is too young for her!"

      He's two years younger than her; that's not a huge age gap.

      "Aang is so childish!"

      Aang was goofy, yes, but he knew when it was time to be serious and mature.

      "Mai is too drab and gloomy!"

      I'm not a big Maiko shipper, but saying Mai is too drabby as an argument in favor of Zutara is stupid. It does nothing in favor of Zutara, but rather in favor of an anti-Maiko stance.

      "Fire and ice, so perfect!"

      This is ludicrous. They are not their elements. Simple as that. If that were the case, Zuko would melt Katara, or Katara would put out Zuko (most likely the latter, as she bends water more than ice).

      "Katara hugged him!"

      She hugged lots of people, does that mean she's in love with them, too?

      "Katara touched his scar!"

      To closely examine it so that she could try to heal it. It means nothing.

      "Katara didn't love Aang until the end, very random!"

      Wrong. I believe she started liking him somewhere along in their journey, but she was afraid to accept her feelings; she didn't want to lose someone else that she loved to the Fire Nation. Solution? Don't let yourself love him. Once Ozai was defeated, she felt it was safe to accept her feelings.

      "They have so much in common!"

      Too much, I'd say. It's about whose personality complements yours, not matches yours.

      While Zuko is quicker to anger, Katara has quite a temper, too. They'd clash on that.

      Aang is more calm, slower to anger, more patient. He'd complement Katara in that aspect.

      Zuko and Katara aren't quick to trust (understandably so). Again, not good.

      Aang, however, is pretty trusting. There, he and Katara would complement each other.

      Zuko and Katara are both pretty serious for the most part.

      Aang, however, has a very goofy side. He'd lighten up Katara, and Katara would keep him in check. Again, they complement each other.

      Zuko and Katara just aren't good for each other; the relationship would be a disaster (k, slight overexaggeration). Katara and Aang complement each other almost perfectly. Zuko and Katara are too similar. Just because they may look good together doesn't mean they're good for each other. As friends, fine. Lovers? Mmmmmmmmnnnnoooooo...

      In the end, the more healthy relationship is Kataang.

        Loading editor
    • ^Agreed.

        Loading editor
    • The word you're looking for is "complement."

      It was pretty obvious Katara had a thing for Aang, I always felt "I'm confused" at Ember Island was a contrivance to make it so they wouldn't get together until the very last scene.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      The word you're looking for is "complement."

      Right... Similar words, my bad :P

        Loading editor
    • Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:
      Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

      Lel, Hillanald

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote: Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

      This is not a sentence that I expected to read today.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Doratchi wrote: Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

      This is not a sentence that I expected to read today.

      I didn't expect people to ship Zutara neither

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:

      Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Doratchi wrote: Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

      This is not a sentence that I expected to read today.

      I didn't expect people to ship Zutara neither

      JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HAVE I CREATED

        Loading editor
    • To be honest I tried to talk with some Zutarians on tumblr but these people...smh

      I tried everything but they won't listen

      Im out of shipping arguments

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:
      To be honest I tried to talk with some Zutarians on tumblr but these people...smh

      I tried everything but they won't listen

      Im out of shipping arguments

      That saying, "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" comes to mind when dealing with them

        Loading editor
    • EmeraldLion wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:
      To be honest I tried to talk with some Zutarians on tumblr but these people...smh

      I tried everything but they won't listen

      Im out of shipping arguments

      That saying, "Denial is not just a river in Egypt" comes to mind when dealing with them

      Im doing big meta on Kataang just to silent all those people on tumblr

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:

      Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Doratchi wrote: Are Zutarians going to ship Hillary and Trump now? They are opposites and they forgave each other so...

      This is not a sentence that I expected to read today.

      I didn't expect people to ship Zutara neither

      I legitimately just LOL'ed at a packed airport... I hope you are proud of yourselves.

      On a side note, some relationships get to a place where two people are so comfortable with each other it can come off as boring to outsiders. Kataang basically got to the "old married couples" stage pretty early on. It's a good thing IRL (speaking from experience), just not good for drama if that's what you're into.

        Loading editor
    • I'm going to say something that must be heresy for a lot of people:

      Kataang isn't boring because they're too comfortable with each other. Kataang is boring because Aang & Katara are boring.

        Loading editor
    • Eh. Most people are boring.

        Loading editor
    • Actually, I can write a book about why they are amazing together.

      Yeah, but Bryke already did that.

        Loading editor
    • Kataang Maiko yesssssssss!!!

        Loading editor
    • Why Kataang? Katara and Aang r cannon. Katara and Aang complement each other Kataang was not one sided, watch two lovers cave,(their kiss there did not just go along with the plotline)

      Why Zutara It is not canon so it is obviously more exciting They had a lot of chemistry Zuko said he cared what Katara thought of him


      Guess which one I ship

        Loading editor
    • Kataang!!!!! I see where zutarians r coming from and I disagree. I also want to state that I am surprised there r still zutarians in 2017. Oh well I guess there will always be crazed fan girls. But seriously, this is like shipping Sokka and Toph. Do u people even realize Suki exists. Seriously! SUKI!

        Loading editor
    • Were you really in so much of a hurry that you didn't have time to type "are"?

        Loading editor
    • Yep, No actually I just find it easier to type r

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote: To be honest I tried to talk with some Zutarians on tumblr but these people...smh

      I tried everything but they won't listen

      Im out of shipping arguments I agree

        Loading editor
    • Just out of really weird curiosity, has anyone ever considered Zuko and Ty Lee. Because trying to ship that would be almost as stupid as trying to ship Zutara.

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes wrote:
      Hi.I'm a master of debating,and a Zutarian,so I decided to start a thread of why Kataang makes sense.Katara clearly would be happier with Zuko,so why did Bryke change her original love interest?Let's find out!


      What O-O . In the first Episode we had seen Katara safe Aang , and almost the rest of the flim at anytime Katara always by Aang's side . I think it is a destiny about ship of Kataang :P.                  P/S : It is my Standpoint and it doesn't mean anything :> .

      [Image deleted based on the Avatar Wiki:Images policy.]

        Loading editor
    • Sutras is almost as bad as Kylo/Rey

        Loading editor
    • I have always wanted to give my opinion on this topic because since I'm a teenager, I feel like I can give a very truthful and realistic opinion on teenage shipping. First off I want to state that I am a Kataang fan, I am 15 years old and I am a high schooler going to be a junior. But since I am more lax, and easygoing, I identify with aang a lot easier. After realizing this I have a theory in why people want kataang or zutara more than the other. First off, I want to state that I think older viewers identify with Zuko since they have made more mistakes than ypinger viewers so they can relate to him. But since you get viewers feel more upbeat and happy, they identify with aang more since they can relate to him. But then these play into which you choose (zutara or kataang) because which one you relate to is the one you want to date the most attractive (in my opinion) female character in the show so that in a way you “get the girl” in the form of your character you feel resembles you. Now onto why I think kataang makes more sense. First off, AANG AND KATARA HAVE THE SAME AGE GAP AS ZUKO AND KATARA. But who comes first makes the difference. Later in life, it would make sense for the guy to be older than the girl. A way to look at the three of them is zuko is a senior in high school, katara is a sophomore and aang is a freshman, but is really smart and mature so he skipped a grade or started right before the cutoff date. In my experience, senior guys don't date sophomore girls. It's wierd and they are WAY to young. But when a younger guy dates an older girl, it is fine because the guy is like a “player” or a “girl magnet”. This is not the case with aang but the point is it is socially excepted. But if a senior goes out with a sophomore it looks weird to everyone and that guy is given a hard time so he just doesn't try it. So because of this, it makes more sense to me that “freshman” aang would date “sophomore” katara more likely than “senior” zuko would date “sophomore And then to those of you who think opposites attract, it is easy to discount this. When two people who are opposite get married do you know what happens? They argue over everything and the house is filled will strife enough so that they get divorced. That is what happens when opposites get together, THEY GET FRICKEN DIVORCED (im trying not to sweat). Also I think that since aang and katara are normally very upbeat and happy it makes sense they that would fall in love with each other, but just like zuko is never happy, and neither is may, so they are perfect for eachother. Lastly (you may not agree with me but), in my opinion zuko would actually be the leader of the group to geat katara and aang to go on their first date. In a way, since he is such good friends with both of them, he would be the couples biggest fan.

        Loading editor
    • Most of you here say that Zuko saved Katara because they were friends and anyone in Team Avatar would do that. Well, that's wrong. He didn't just save her, he gave up his life for hers. He knew he will die, I mean, it took Aang weeks and holy water to recover from ligtning in the back and Zuko got hit by ligting on the chest. Which is more dangerous. So, everyone can say he was sure he will die. was there anyone who survied lighting except Avatar and he needed holy water? NO!

      And when we are at Aang got hit by the lightning; to enter The Avatar State, he left Katara alone to deal with Azula, Zuko and Dai Lee. So he was ready to sacrifice her life to save the world, which is reasonable and responsible and I understand it and I would do the same thing. That way he corrected mistake he made at the East Air Temple. I can't say he was sure bad guys will kill her, but there was a huge possiblity. She lived only because of Iroh.

      Both Aang and Zuko are very important to the world, and Aang chose to save the world over Katara (which he should) at the Ba Sing Se. And Zuko sacrificed good-wealth of his nation and  way easier peace in the world for Katara. Even when Zuko is lying on the floor and seriosly bleeding, waitng for death to take him, he reaches out his hand for Katara as she was fighting Azula.

      So Aang chose his duties over Katara and Zuko did the opposite. I think what Aang did was right and what Zuko did was wrong. If he let Azula's lighting hit Katara (also, Katara could have moved, I mean, she was just staring at it going to to hit her) he could defeat her and be Fire Lord and help Aang bring peace to the world. But if Katara hadn't got to him he would die in the couple of minutes. So who would be Fire Lord? Fire Nation would have dropped into civil war. 

      So Aang chose to save the world and Zuko chose to save Katara.

      When Aang kissed Katara at the day of Black Sun her bodylanguage literally told him 'move away' and didn't excatly return it. When he kissed her at the play she really moved away and got angry with him.

      And Zuko is the only one who supported Katara to find her mother's killer. And please don't tell me 'Aang didn't do it because he was raised up against revenge'. This isn't about Zuko and Aang's personalities. This is about understanding Katara and helping her to do soemthing big and important. And Zuko is the only one supported her. I don't say he unnderstood her (but he probablly did) he knew it was good for her to face Jon Rha.

      It was said that Aang and Katara didn't have 'so happy nad shiney' marraige since Aang needed to get airbender son. We see that when his other children Bumi and Kya who are non-bender and water-bender tell their borther Tenzin, airbender, that Aang neglected them and spent all  his time with him. Also, Zuko didn't marry.

      Aang and Katara are together just because it should be that way in cartoons - main hero saves the world and gets the girl he loves no matter her personality. She kissed her freely only at the end of the last episode so series can have happy ending. She was like a brother for all reamining episodes.

        Loading editor
    • Most of you here say that Zuko saved Katara because they were friends and anyone in Team Avatar would do that. Well, that's wrong.

      No it's not. Several times 1 character risked their life for another. And don't tell me a risk is different from "giving it up," as Zuko clearly planned to redirect the lightning & save them both, he just messed it up.

      And when we are at Aang got hit by the lightning; to enter The Avatar State, he left Katara alone to deal with Azula, Zuko and Dai Lee.

      He "left her alone" because going into the Avatar State was the only way they were going to win, & if they lose, Katara dies too. Nobody knew Iroh was going to show up & save their asses. Come on, use some basic common sense here.

      So Aang chose to save the world and Zuko chose to save Katara.

      Oh my god, we get the point, you don't have to repeat it 20 times. Saying it more often doesn't make it less wrong.

      When Aang kissed Katara at the day of Black Sun her bodylanguage literally told him 'move away' and didn't excatly return it.

      Horseshit. There's not really anything else to say to this, you're just imagining things.

      And Zuko is the only one who supported Katara to find her mother's killer.

      Disregard that I already covered that Zuko himself admits he was wrong about Katara needing revenge, & that allowing Katara to take Appa & figure things out for herself is clearly a form of support.

      It was said that Aang and Katara didn't have 'so happy nad shiney' marraige since Aang needed to get airbender son. We see that when his other children Bumi and Kya who are non-bender and water-bender tell their borther Tenzin, airbender, that Aang neglected them and spent all his time with him.

      You're blatantly cherry picking. The resolution of that episode is the 3 children admitting they had a happy family. I don't know whom you're supposedly quoting, but if that quote exists, they clearly meant that it wasn't some perfect fairy tale romance, not saying the marriage was a mistake.

      Aang and Katara are together just because it should be that way in cartoons - main hero saves the world and gets the girl he loves no matter her personality.

      You literally base your whole premise on the notion that Zuko should get Katara because he saved her life & helped her go after Yon Rha. You haven't said Word 1 about Katara actually wanting it or having a compatible personality.

      She kissed her freely only at the end of the last episode so series can have happy ending. She was like a brother for all reamining episodes.

      You don't romantically kiss your brother in a cave dedicated to lovers & contemplate marrying him after a fortune teller says you'll marry a powerful bender. Where are you people coming from all of a sudden, & why do you lack basic observation skills?

        Loading editor
    • I dislike Zutara because it basically consumes the fandom. Debates like this one are everywhere, it's in every fan-fic, and it is responsible at least in part for Makorra, my least favorite ship. I can respect if not agree with those who shjip it, but it's exhausting how overplayed it is. IThat's all I have to say.

        Loading editor
    • Its surprising how much hate Zutara got here. I dont really see why Aang and Katara fit better than Katara and Zuko? you are really defending Kataang here. If she doesnt fit to Zuko, then she doesnt fit to Aang either. I really never had the feeling Katara was in love with Aang till the very end. And yes, Katara hugged many people, but you forget that she never hugged someone in the way she hugged Zuko. (I dont count Kataras family), and also if you are saying Zutarians are stupid, this is really rude, cause everyone can have its opinion, and if you say its childish : Dante Basco and Mae are Zutarians too |:

        Loading editor
    • [citation needed]

        Loading editor
    • Here's how I know they fit better: The end up together on the show. It's canon. There is no argument against that.

        Loading editor
    • PLEASE I'M SORRY, JUST STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes wrote:
      PLEASE I'M SORRY, JUST STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

      you're the one who made the post and literally challenged everyone to argue with you. wise up.

        Loading editor
    • Haha. "I'll kick the ass of everyone in here! ... why is everyone attacking me?"

        Loading editor
    • I lowkey ship Zutara :3 Probably because their elements are the opposites of each other..

        Loading editor
    • So then you also ship Sokka/Mai? Aang/Jet? Iroh/Hama? They're also elemental opposites with an equal amount of romantic attachment.

        Loading editor
    • Personally, I have always been a secret shipper of Quarsh Panaka and the Melon Lord.

        Loading editor
    • Well have fun arguing y'all lemme eat my popcorn and watch

        Loading editor
    • Why did aang fall in love with katara in the first place?

        Loading editor
    • Hormones.

        Loading editor
    • What kind of answer is that?

        Loading editor
    • An accurate one.

        Loading editor
    • so true

        Loading editor
    • Oh you mean he had feelings for her in his hormones and heart and he loved her passionism and care and love 

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      Most of you here say that Zuko saved Katara because they were friends and anyone in Team Avatar would do that. Well, that's wrong.

      No it's not. Several times 1 character risked their life for another. And don't tell me a risk is different from "giving it up," as Zuko clearly planned to redirect the lightning & save them both, he just messed it up.


      And when we are at Aang got hit by the lightning; to enter The Avatar State, he left Katara alone to deal with Azula, Zuko and Dai Lee.

      He "left her alone" because going into the Avatar State was the only way they were going to win, & if they lose, Katara dies too. Nobody knew Iroh was going to show up & save their asses. Come on, use some basic common sense here.


      So Aang chose to save the world and Zuko chose to save Katara.

      Oh my god, we get the point, you don't have to repeat it 20 times. Saying it more often doesn't make it less wrong.


      When Aang kissed Katara at the day of Black Sun her bodylanguage literally told him 'move away' and didn't excatly return it.

      Horseshit. There's not really anything else to say to this, you're just imagining things.


      And Zuko is the only one who supported Katara to find her mother's killer.

      Disregard that I already covered that Zuko himself admits he was wrong about Katara needing revenge, & that allowing Katara to take Appa & figure things out for herself is clearly a form of support.


      It was said that Aang and Katara didn't have 'so happy nad shiney' marraige since Aang needed to get airbender son. We see that when his other children Bumi and Kya who are non-bender and water-bender tell their borther Tenzin, airbender, that Aang neglected them and spent all his time with him.

      You're blatantly cherry picking. The resolution of that episode is the 3 children admitting they had a happy family. I don't know whom you're supposedly quoting, but if that quote exists, they clearly meant that it wasn't some perfect fairy tale romance, not saying the marriage was a mistake.


      Aang and Katara are together just because it should be that way in cartoons - main hero saves the world and gets the girl he loves no matter her personality.

      You literally base your whole premise on the notion that Zuko should get Katara because he saved her life & helped her go after Yon Rha. You haven't said Word 1 about Katara actually wanting it or having a compatible personality.


      She kissed her freely only at the end of the last episode so series can have happy ending. She was like a brother for all reamining episodes.

      You don't romantically kiss your brother in a cave dedicated to lovers & contemplate marrying him after a fortune teller says you'll marry a powerful bender. Where are you people coming from all of a sudden, & why do you lack basic observation skills?


      THANK YOU

        Loading editor
    • Ahsan1444 wrote:
      Why did aang fall in love with katara in the first place?


      why would zuko fall in love with katara, or vice versa?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe they just didn't want to make the stereotypical 'Girls love bad boys' idea? I know that Zuko changed in the future but anyways, and by the way she was never really attracted to him or got to know him good. 

        Loading editor
    • Ok now I understand each and everything btw zuko is already the lover Mai who he lost

        Loading editor
    • Well, Aang is dead now. And also probably so is Zuko’s wife. If Gran Gran can remarry, why can’t Katara? To quote Giancarlo Volpe’s tweet: #OldPeopleShipping 

        Loading editor
    • Who is zuko's wife?

        Loading editor
    • I dont think Zuko actually got married. he just had a relationship that spawned a daughter (Izumi) who later became firelord while he joined the white lotus

        Loading editor
    • Steamveni wrote:
      Well, Aang is dead now. And also probably so is Zuko’s wife. If Gran Gran can remarry, why can’t Katara? To quote Giancarlo Volpe’s tweet: #OldPeopleShipping 



      theyre not gonna say " hey Katara! Now that Aangs dropped dead you can go be Zuko's firelady!!

      it would ruin the perfectly ended story line of TLA

        Loading editor
    • guys i made this in 2016 HOW are you even here 

        Loading editor
    • New users have a tendency to click on threads in the "related" sidebar & necropost them for reasons unknown.

        Loading editor
    • we just ..... exist :-)

        Loading editor
    • Pitbullterriercupcakes, it’s bc Zutara lives. The fandom itself really did separate from “canon” a long time ago (the series even lost viewers after that fallout), and even though most of us are hibernating, some of us pop up from to time to remind everyone we’re still here... even though it’s been almost a decade since the show ended ;)

        Loading editor
    • I'm glad to know it lives on, then.

        Loading editor
    • Kataang makes a lot more sense than Zutara. I mean, really? She didn't even forgive Zuko for everything he did until Episode 56. There really wasn't much time after that. In the entire series, after they met, Katara is rarely seen without Aang. The only time I can think of is in The Blue Spirit episode, if you can even count that one. All the other "separations" were extremely brief. They don't count. And I'm not counting the comics, either.

        Loading editor
    • But something something chemistry something like a brother!

        Loading editor
    • Damn. I'm not even in this fandom anymore.

        Loading editor
    • Lady Lostris
      Lady Lostris removed this reply because:
      Unconstructive
      11:32, July 10, 2018
      This reply has been removed
    • Avatar: The Last Airbender has the best story. Legend of Korra story isn't that good at all!

        Loading editor
    • Faithm3214, don’t be too pressed about a fandom that doesn’t concern you. It’ll raise your blood pressure. Zutara forever.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message