FANDOM


  • If all the characters are at the south tribe by the end of part 3 could that be a signal of the end of the comics?

    We know Zuko is going to show up in part 3 and Toph looks like she has a coat on to keep herself warm. Aang seems like the only one not going to arrive but the cover of part 3 makes it look like he's there so it's still possible he'll show up but why.

    I'm reffering to the trope that is called "Book Ends" becaue the show began at the South Tribe and now can possibly end at it.

    Thoughts? Would that be a nice way to end the comics?

      Loading editor
    • They need to explain what happened to Azula, who Kanto is, who IZumi's mother is, who Suyin's dad is.

        Loading editor
    • They probably won't explain most of that. Azula is the one they will explain if North and South isn't the final comic. It probably isn't the final comic but it's just seems like a possibility to me. I'm 99% most likely wrong but we'll see when part 3 is released.

        Loading editor
    • My theory is that it's not the last comic. The three first had a title starting with the word "the", and these two are both titeled "something AND something", so I guess they're planning to make at least one more "and" comic.

      Although Kanto, Izumi's mother, Suyin's father and several other stuff like that sounds interesting, I think the most important things for a next comic will be Azula.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe, one of the things I would like to see (doesn't need to happen though) would be, given Aang and Katara are already 14-15 and 16-17 years old respectively, maybe Aang could propose Katara.

      Or if it IS the final comic (in which I share Yuki's opinion) they could do in the end of Part 3 an epilogue that happens many years later, like twenty or something, showing a grown Team Avatar playing with their families, like in Castle.

      I think that would be nice :).

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, if ​North and South is the final comic it's going to end with Aang proposing to Katara, she accepts, the scen skips several years later with a brief glismp Aang and Katara with their children and then that's it. Avatar comics over...(so curious for part 3 just to see if that happens, I will be pretty shocked but not disappointed if that's the end)

      I have forgot though, what's the youngest age you can be to get married in the Avatar universe? Aang's 15 so is he old enough?

      It's still at this point unlikely but it could happen.

      If North and South turns out to the last Avatar comics besides the upcoming Korra comics what would be your reaction? Bad descion to leave Azula's fate and actions in Smoke and Shadow up to interpretation?

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:

      Bad descion to leave Azula's fate and actions in Smoke and Shadow up to interpretation?

      Yes, totally. I'm curious to know what actually happend to Azula in the end.

      But as said, I'm 99 % sure that North and South is NOT the last ATLA comic.

        Loading editor
    • I would be personally satisfied with it be up to fans to make their own judgements on Azula if Smoke and Shadow turns out to have been her final appearance.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:

      I have forgot though, what's the youngest age you can be to get married in the Avatar universe? Aang's 15 so is he old enough?

      The age is 16, so he can propose to Katara who's 17, and Aang is really 115 XP

        Loading editor
    • Of course I also wish to see Azula back, or at least be found.

        Loading editor
    • Thinking about the fact that Azula's last line in Smoke and Shadow was "how touching", and she did do nothing but leave after that, maybe that actually means that it was her last appearance? It's hard to say ^^

        Loading editor
    • It is really unclear what the writers were telling us about Azula but that's what I love it. If Smoke and Shadow was indeed her final appearance then we all can just interpretate her actions. Was she trying to make Zuko just like her or was she secretly being a stealth mentor to him? Fans who want some kind of redemption for Azula and those who don't can potentially find some common ground.

        Loading editor
    • MetalbenderParker wrote:

      The age is 16, so he can propose to Katara who's 17, and Aang is really 115 XP

      Technically 115 but Aang is the Avatar so no one's going stop him if wants to marry someone.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      Yeah, if ​North and South is the final comic it's going to end with Aang proposing to Katara, she accepts, the scen skips several years later with a brief glismp Aang and Katara with their children and then that's it. Avatar comics over...(so curious for part 3 just to see if that happens, I will be pretty shocked but not disappointed if that's the end)

      I have forgot though, what's the youngest age you can be to get married in the Avatar universe? Aang's 15 so is he old enough?

      Let's remember that this is a kid's show and the time period of ATLA isn't really what would be considered medieval (the Northern Water Tribe being the lovely exception). Guessing from how old Bumi must be and how old Katara is in LoK, I bet that Aang and her started their family around their early twenties. I also gathered that Toph had hers in her thirties and Zuko in his forties.

        Loading editor
    • I know I wrote my theories on this down in another discussion with somebody, but I just can't seem to find them. Anyways, I think the next comic is going have something to do with Suki and Ty Lee (and ultimately the Kyoshi Warriors). That's just what I gathered from the free comic books Shells and Sisters. I also assume that those Fire Nation girls that Suki recruited are also going to be doing something with Azula and her "sisters". Kyoshi Warriors Vs Fire Warriors, perhaps? 

        Loading editor
    • If the comics continue after North and South then you're probably right DarkNet1.

      Even though I personally want Azula's actions to remain unclear most likely she'll return eventually. I would be actually shocked myself if North and South does indeed turn out to be the last one but even if it does turn out to be the final trilogy for Aang and the gang they could still make free short comics.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote: It is really unclear what the writers were telling us about Azula but that's what I love it. If Smoke and Shadow was indeed her final appearance then we all can just interpretate her actions. Was she trying to make Zuko just like her or was she secretly being a stealth mentor to him? Fans who want some kind of redemption for Azula and those who don't can potentially find some common ground.

      Yeah, that's not how it works. Leaving Azula's fate & motives "ambiguous" is NOT a neutral action, because those WERE resolved prior to bringing her back into the story, so that is inherently a change to her character arc. Also, "open endings" are inherently antithetical to anyone who expects a resolution.

      I don't care about Kanto & Suyin's father. I've said since the beginning, their fathers are probably just "some guys Toph was with once," & her description of Kanto seems to support that.

        Loading editor
    • Her motives were resolved in Smoke and Shadow? I'm sure they were meant to be up to interpretation, for now at least.

      Open endings are indeed not what fans expect for an ending but they could still work. Fans may like it if the "open ending" is done right but the complete opposite can still happen.

      Could Satoru be Suyin's father but I agree it doesn't need to be revealed.

        Loading editor
    • DarkNet1 wrote: I think the next comic is going have something to do with Suki and Ty Lee.

      I hope so, you see I can't get enough of Ty Lee :p Ty Lee KW

        Loading editor
    • Her motives were resolved in Smoke and Shadow? I'm sure they were meant to be up to interpretation, for now at least.

      Not even close to what I said.

      Open endings are indeed not what fans expect for an ending but they could still work. Fans may like it if the "open ending" is done right but the complete opposite can still happen.

      Leaving aside the facts that you like the Shyamalan movie so you're not a very good witness to "what fans like" anyway & that "what people like" isn't the same as good writing to begin with...this isn't even the point.

      What you suggest is equivalent to telling a Star Wars nerd that "everyone can decide for themselves if Han shot first." It fundamentally misunderstands the issue people have, which is an aversion to changing the original intent of the script. Even suggesting that it's in doubt is already a change.

        Loading editor
    • Oh you meant when they reintroduced her in the comics they were already resolved because you said "they were resolved prior to bringing her back into the story".

      Yes, the film is not a good adaption, it has bad acting, the characters are different, etc. and I consider it a guitly pleasure. So what? I know why fans hate it and why the fans love the show.

      And boy you love to question everything I say don't you?

        Loading editor
    • Oh you meant when they reintroduced her in the comics because you said "they were resolved prior to bringing her back into the story".

      More or less. I don't think anyone really had any problems with her in The Search, but I'll hedge my bets.

      Yes, the film is not a good adaption, it has bad acting, the characters are different, etc. and I consider it a guitly pleasure. So what? I know why fans hate it and why the fans love the show.

      That's not really what you said, you said it "wasn't bad," but whatever.

        Loading editor
    • It  would feel weird if they suddenly dropped a bombshell like "Daughter of major character from the original series suddenly has a half sister & neither knew their dads" and never made any effort to explain it.

        Loading editor
    • I just looked back and I only said, "I enjoyed it" which is true but that doesn't mean I thought it was a well done adaption but yes, whatever indeed.

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote: It  would feel weird if they suddenly dropped a bombshell like "Daughter of major character from the original series suddenly has a half sister & neither knew their dads" and never made any effort to explain it.

      It's called a one night stand.

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:
      It  would feel weird if they suddenly dropped a bombshell like "Daughter of major character from the original series suddenly has a half sister & neither knew their dads" and never made any effort to explain it.

      Yup, that would be wei-... why does that sound so familiar?!

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi
      Doratchi removed this reply because:
      M
      06:26, May 25, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Doratchi wrote:
      They say on the back cover: 'After 3 long years'. So Katara is 17 and Aang 15. Perfect timing for Kataang wedding, we must see it happening

      I really want the last comics to close everything to Korra...plus Aang and Katara are really good together on the comics


      Yue was not deemed fo amrriageable age until she turned 16. Why would Aang be, a year early?

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      Fomxcloud wrote:
      It  would feel weird if they suddenly dropped a bombshell like "Daughter of major character from the original series suddenly has a half sister & neither knew their dads" and never made any effort to explain it.
      Yup, that would be wei-... why does that sound so familiar?!


      You mean you've seen it somewhere other than Legend of Korra?

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:
      They say on the back cover: 'After 3 long years'. So Katara is 17 and Aang 15. Perfect timing for Kataang wedding, we must see it happening

      I really want the last comics to close everything to Korra...plus Aang and Katara are really good together on the comics


      Yue was not deemed fo amrriageable age until she turned 16. Why would Aang be, a year early?

      First of all, he is a foreign, so the *northen* water tribe rules are not getting to him. Plus, he is 116, not to mention he is the Avatar. And after all, much as we see in part 1, the south is through a lot of changes, and the world is getting different.

      But Im not sure that Gene have wedding on his mind. If not, I hope we would get at least propusal...or just conversations or something. That's the place it all started and it would be beautiful to make it offical in the south pole

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:
      Teen Titans Forever! wrote: Yup, that would be wei-... why does that sound so familiar?!
      You mean you've seen it somewhere other than Legend of Korra?

      No, I was just pretending that I didn't know what you were talking about for comedic effect. I didn't actually think it was weird.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:

      Fomxcloud wrote:
      Teen Titans Forever! wrote: Yup, that would be wei-... why does that sound so familiar?!
      You mean you've seen it somewhere other than Legend of Korra?

      No, I was just pretending that I didn't know what you were talking about for comedic effect. I didn't actually think it was weird.

      I just realized that the end of North and South is reference to the beginning of The Promise (Katara with knocking)

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:

      Fomxcloud wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:
      They say on the back cover: 'After 3 long years'. So Katara is 17 and Aang 15. Perfect timing for Kataang wedding, we must see it happening

      I really want the last comics to close everything to Korra...plus Aang and Katara are really good together on the comics


      Yue was not deemed fo amrriageable age until she turned 16. Why would Aang be, a year early?

      First of all, he is a foreign, so the *northen* water tribe rules are not getting to him. Plus, he is 116, not to mention he is the Avatar.

      And after all, much as we see in part 1, the south is through a lot of changes, and the world is getting different.

      But Im not sure that Gene have wedding on his mind. If not, I hope we would get at least propusal...or just conversations or something. That's the place it all started and it would be beautiful to make it offical in the south pole


      The fact that Aang was not meant to know he was the avatar until he was 16 suggests this is considered the age of majority world-wide.

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:

      Fomxcloud wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:
      They say on the back cover: 'After 3 long years'. So Katara is 17 and Aang 15. Perfect timing for Kataang wedding, we must see it happening

      I really want the last comics to close everything to Korra...plus Aang and Katara are really good together on the comics


      Yue was not deemed fo amrriageable age until she turned 16. Why would Aang be, a year early?

      First of all, he is a foreign, so the *northen* water tribe rules are not getting to him. Plus, he is 116, not to mention he is the Avatar.

      And after all, much as we see in part 1, the south is through a lot of changes, and the world is getting different.

      But Im not sure that Gene have wedding on his mind. If not, I hope we would get at least propusal...or just conversations or something. That's the place it all started and it would be beautiful to make it offical in the south pole


      The fact that Aang was not meant to know he was the avatar until he was 16 suggests this is considered the age of majority world-wide.

      But Roku knew when he was 19 but nice idea

        Loading editor
    • there are too many plotholes left open; Azula, Zuko and Mai's relationship, how the hundred year colonies eventually become the URN. If they ended it now, there'd be too many questions.

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote: there are too many plotholes left open; Azula, Zuko and Mai's relationship, how the hundred year colonies eventually become the URN. If they ended it now, there'd be too many questions.

      True, plus Suki and Sokka. And the dragons and fly bisons. I guess that we would know new details about what's goin on the firs nation from Aang telling to Sokka and Katara or from Zuko on part 3

        Loading editor
    • well, the dragons could be explained by those ones that Zuko found in that episode, but everything else yeah

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      there are too many plotholes left open; Azula, Zuko and Mai's relationship, how the hundred year colonies eventually become the URN. If they ended it now, there'd be too many questions.

      Maybe they want them to be open to interpretation. Zuko and Mai most likely will get back together (Zuko's daughter looks a lot like Mai). Do we need to see the beginning of the URN? Sure it would be cool but not 100% necessary. Azula is defiantly the biggest one that fans would like to see but for me personally, I would like for her goals to remain ambiguous.

      Most other things probably won't be explored and/or explain like Zuko's dragon.

      The show itself didn't answer everything so most likely they will do the same with the comics.

        Loading editor
    • He is right. We don't need to know every little detail. Avatar isn't that type of series. And we know how the idea of republic city came from. I guess it's better we stop speculate and wait until the end of North and South (Why do we have to wait so long between each part)

        Loading editor
    • I agree, but any way they did confirm the dragon thing, it was the egg Zuko and Aang saw in the Sun Warriors island.

        Loading editor
    • MetalbenderParker wrote: I agree, but any way they did confirm the dragon thing, it was the egg Zuko and Aang saw in the Sun Warriors island.

      You sure? The creators said that?

      Maybe one of the dragons is female

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • MetalbenderParker wrote:
      I agree, but any way they did confirm the dragon thing, it was the egg Zuko and Aang saw in the Sun Warriors island.

      I think Bryke confirmed it at some Q&A that the dragon egg Zuko and Aang found wasn't Zuko's future dragon Druk. I'm having a hard time finding a link, though.

        Loading editor
    • DarkNet1 wrote:

      MetalbenderParker wrote:
      I agree, but any way they did confirm the dragon thing, it was the egg Zuko and Aang saw in the Sun Warriors island.

      I think Bryke confirmed it at some Q&A that the dragon egg Zuko and Aang found wasn't Zuko's future dragon Druk. I'm having a hard time finding a link, though.

      Of course, I read it in the live Q&A Bryke did two years ago.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think the Avatar comics are going to end with North and South. The reason? Money mainly. It is still profitable and it still sells very well so there's no reason to just stop it. The main advantage with comics is that they are cheaper to make and therefore you can continue forever with them or at least until there's not much to say. Even Bryke said at the end of Korra that it fits better for them to continue in comic form because it's cheaper and faster and they can tell a lot small stories in between the big ones and they can have less plot-heavy comics with weaker stakes than: end of the world situation.

      Plus we need to know what happens to Azula, if anything because she was a very important character in Atla and it would just be a waste to not tell her story till the end. Plus we kind of need to know how the world ended up like it is in LOK. It is important from a political point of view. Besides, if we were to be fair, it would be stupid to just establish Katara and Aang's future marriage and family, although we already know from LOK, that it is gonna happen, but not establish what happens with the other members of the team. Like yeah Toph we kinda know but it wouldn't hurt to have a comic about her as a mom of two and how she tries to balance both being a mom and being a chief of police even though we do know she let them do whatever they wanted so there might not be much to it.

      We'd also benefit from a comic going more into detail about how the Fire Nation developed post war and in Korra's time. Bryke said that they hope to explore that with the new Korra comics.

      Also a comic about Sokka. Sure we had one with him and Suki but Id kind of like one with them in a different situation. It seems like they don't interact at all and we don't see Sokka miss her, not even a thought bubble nothing.

      So yeah I think they ll keep it up with the comics for the time being.

        Loading editor
    • AStudyInSarcasm wrote: I don't think the Avatar comics are going to end with North and South. The reason? Money mainly. It is still profitable and it still sells very well so there's no reason to just stop it. The main advantage with comics is that they are cheaper to make and therefore you can continue forever with them or at least until there's not much to say. Even Bryke said at the end of Korra that it fits better for them to continue in comic form because it's cheaper and faster and they can tell a lot small stories in between the big ones and they can have less plot-heavy comics with weaker stakes than: end of the world situation.

      Plus we need to know what happens to Azula, if anything because she was a very important character in Atla and it would just be a waste to not tell her story till the end. Plus we kind of need to know how the world ended up like it is in LOK. It is important from a political point of view. Besides, if we were to be fair, it would be stupid to just establish Katara and Aang's future marriage and family, although we already know from LOK, that it is gonna happen, but not establish what happens with the other members of the team. Like yeah Toph we kinda know but it wouldn't hurt to have a comic about her as a mom of two and how she tries to balance both being a mom and being a chief of police even though we do know she let them do whatever they wanted so there might not be much to it.

      We'd also benefit from a comic going more into detail about how the Fire Nation developed post war and in Korra's time. Bryke said that they hope to explore that with the new Korra comics.

      Also a comic about Sokka. Sure we had one with him and Suki but Id kind of like one with them in a different situation. It seems like they don't interact at all and we don't see Sokka miss her, not even a thought bubble nothing.

      So yeah I think they ll keep it up with the comics for the time being.

      We can know what happend to Azula by Aang telling Katara and Sokka what happend (maybe what happend in smoke and shadow 3 wasn't the very end of this staff). Or some more fire nation at the same time, or Zuko's conversation with Aang on part 3 of N&S. If they really want it to be the last one but also the final bridge to Korra they can do it. I mean, we already have the idea of republic city and rebuilding the south, we got answers for most of the question (but we also need to know how Aang got new sky bisons, and weddings).

      But you are probaly right about the money. I hope they would start thinking more about the series legacy and less of the money and feeding the fans

        Loading editor
    • Doratchi wrote:

      We can know what happend to Azula by Aang telling Katara and Sokka what happend (maybe what happend in smoke and shadow 3 wasn't the very end of this staff). Or some more fire nation at the same time, or Zuko's conversation with Aang on part 3 of N&S. If they really want it to be the last one but also the final bridge to Korra they can do it. I mean, we already have the idea of republic city and rebuilding the south, we got answers for most of the question (but we also need to know how Aang got new sky bisons, and weddings).

      But you are probaly right about the money. I hope they would start thinking more about the series legacy and less of the money and feeding the fans

      Having Azula being defeated offscreen and mention by Aang to the others would be so annoying. So if anything if she is mention it'll probably go like this: "We tried to find her but no luck".

      I don't know if we'll see any fire nation in this book but maybe. Azula could be talked about by Aang and Zuko at the end setting up a future comic.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:

      Doratchi wrote:

      We can know what happend to Azula by Aang telling Katara and Sokka what happend (maybe what happend in smoke and shadow 3 wasn't the very end of this staff). Or some more fire nation at the same time, or Zuko's conversation with Aang on part 3 of N&S. If they really want it to be the last one but also the final bridge to Korra they can do it. I mean, we already have the idea of republic city and rebuilding the south, we got answers for most of the question (but we also need to know how Aang got new sky bisons, and weddings).

      But you are probaly right about the money. I hope they would start thinking more about the series legacy and less of the money and feeding the fans

      Having Azula being defeated offscreen and mention by Aang to the others would be so annoying. So if anything if she is mention it'll probably go like this: "We tried to find her but no luck".

      I don't know if we'll see any fire nation in this book but maybe. Azula could be talked about by Aang and Zuko at the end setting up a future comic.

      Yea you're right But there are too many options we better wait for part 2 just to start thinking what's next (or maybe for some new on NYCC)

        Loading editor
    • Didn't have time to read all the comments, so I'm sorry if I repeat anything someone else said...

      Now, I feel like Azula isn't finished yet. I mean, what was her point in S&S? Yes, she showed Zuko he could be as ruthless as the rest of the family (tbh, I didn't think he was that bad), but then what? She told him so, which only made him more reflective of his actions. What did she gain from that? I feel like she still has something(s) up her sleeve to get another reaction out of him. She did say, after all, that she would control him, making her the Fire Lord in a sense. 

      So, I really don't think N&S is the last ATLA comic. There's no way they can resolve all this stuff in just the last two N&S comics.

        Loading editor
    • @EmeraldLion My theory is Azula was secretly being a stealth mentor to Zuko.

      If N&S turns out to be the final Avatar comic (besides the upcoming Korra comics) maybe Gene Yang doesn't want to resolve Azula's story so that her character's actions in TS and S&S remain up to interpretation.

      I could be completely wrong about this but for now I like to think of it that way.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      @EmeraldLion My theory is Azula was secretly being a stealth mentor to Zuko.

      If N&S turns out to be the final Avatar comic (besides the upcoming Korra comics) maybe Gene Yang doesn't want to resolve Azula's story so that her character's actions in TS and S&S remain up to interpretation.

      I could be completely wrong about this but for now I like to think of it that way.

      Maybe, but I'd hate for it to be up to interpretation. That's not one of those things you leave up to interpretation... I mean, her plan is to manipulate Zuko into being the Fire Lord she would've been. That's a pretty big deal, and there should be some sort of closure in that story.

        Loading editor
    • Dark Horse Comics twitter: "We may do more Avatar in the future, but I think we're going to mostly focus on building up Korra for a while."

      It looks like "North and South" will most likely not be the final Avatar comic but maybe we should expect a short break due to the Korra comics.

        Loading editor
    • No, I hope there's a lot more. There's a lot of material to cover, like Zuko's wife, the fate of Sokka, Lin and Suyin's dad, how Katara made bloodbending illegal and much more. After North and South, I hope they do a time skip to a few years later where they cover more of those things when the characters are older.

        Loading editor
    • PercyJacksonfan12 wrote:
      No, I hope there's a lot more. There's a lot of material to cover, like Zuko's wife, the fate of Sokka, Lin and Suyin's dad, how Katara made bloodbending illegal and much more. After North and South, I hope they do a time skip to a few years later where they cover more of those things when the characters are older.

      To me the tweet means, "There will be more Avatar comics but you're going to have to wait for a while."

        Loading editor
    • I suggest you not get your hopes up, because things don't last forever. 15 comics, not including free comics or unofficial spinoffs that came before is an unusually impressive run as-is. And there certainly won't be comics for every step of the characters' histories, that's impractical.

      "Maybe in the future" is a safe, non-committal answer, it's not a promise that it will happen.

        Loading editor
    • So thery are enver going to explain what happened to Azula or all those other unresolved plot point. Pathetic.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      I suggest you not get your hopes up, because things don't last forever. 15 comics, not including free comics or unofficial spinoffs that came before is an unusually impressive run as-is. And there certainly won't be comics for every step of the characters' histories, that's impractical.

      "Maybe in the future" is a safe, non-committal answer, it's not a promise that it will happen.


      But things like "What happened to Azula" and "Howcome you said who Lin's dad is but not Suyin's" are'nt exactly minor.

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:

      But things like "What happened to Azula" and "Howcome you said who Lin's dad is but not Suyin's" are'nt exactly minor.

      Maybe they want those to be left ambiguous? But don't worry just yet as we do not know for sure what the tweet meant.

        Loading editor
    • Writers wanting things to be left ambiguous always means that they weren't creative enough to come up with an answer, no exceptions.

        Loading editor
    • NervousShipper wrote:
      Writers wanting things to be left ambiguous always means that they weren't creative enough to come up with an answer, no exceptions.

         *cough* Lost *cough*.

        Loading editor
    • Exactly

        Loading editor
    • Fomxcloud wrote:

      Neo Bahamut wrote:
      I suggest you not get your hopes up, because things don't last forever. 15 comics, not including free comics or unofficial spinoffs that came before is an unusually impressive run as-is. And there certainly won't be comics for every step of the characters' histories, that's impractical.

      "Maybe in the future" is a safe, non-committal answer, it's not a promise that it will happen.


      But things like "What happened to Azula" and "Howcome you said who Lin's dad is but not Suyin's" are'nt exactly minor.

      The 2nd thing you said is the perfect example of a minor thing that fans are disproportionately obsessed with.

        Loading editor
    • A bookend to Azula and the very beginnings of RC would be welcome ending to the ATLA comic. You could easily do that in one last trilogy after North and South. Most of the other issues can simply be answered in the Korra comic as a throw away line. I guess even Azula's future could also be used that way as an link to the fire shaman of LoK book 2.

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote: A bookend to Azula and the very beginnings of RC would be welcome ending to the ATLA comic. You could easily do that in one last trilogy after North and South. Most of the other issues can simply be answered in the Korra comic as a throw away line.

      Maybe they can make an ending for Azula in an final trilogy after NaS but the beginnings of Republic City would be to much to cram into a book that would be about Azula's ending.

        Loading editor
    • They could do that. I'm sure people would definitely buy that.

        Loading editor
    • In one of Azula's hallucinations, Ursa alluded to Azula's destiny lying elsewhere. That "elsewhere" needs to be addressed. Besides, the formation of the Red Lotus is something I'm very interested at. Look at it, the formation of the United Republic, Ursa's fate, the questionable cohabitation of humans and spirits, and the unsung precursor to the Water Tribe Civil War, were all given light in the comics, and the comics were said to bridge Aang's time and Korra's. So far, that bridge is not even halfway from being finished. We might get a trilogy or two before that gap is closed. 

        Loading editor
    • ... well, it *was* a hallucination.

        Loading editor
    • You're a hallucination.

        Loading editor
    • I heard we are getting a time skip after North and South; perhaps to late 106 or 107 AG. On the topics; Hope we see more of Sokka and Suki. Hope we see Mai getting back with Zuko. Aang and Katara's wedding in this time skip would be perfect. Possibly on Azula-I just don't want her to join Team Avatar.Honestly, I think Smoke and Shadow may have finished her arc, and pretty well too. A secret glimpse at the early Red Lotus would be amazing.

        Loading editor
    • A time-skip might be a good idea; it would give everything more time to develop and i would like to see the Gaang as adults, if the time skip goes that far.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, by 'in the time skip', I do mean after the time skip, in the 6th trilogy. I could personally see them doing 2 or 3 more: one largely from Sokka or Suki's point of view, with the beginning of the United Republic. One set around all of the nations, with the early Red Lotus involved, and I don't know for the 3rd one. Mai and Zuko can be covered in one of the shorter ones, like Rebound.

      It would be kind of nice to end them on the 10th anniversary of Ozai's defeat, maybe with Katara and Mai pregnant with Bumi and Izumi respectively.

      Finally, I hope Kuruk and Kyoshi play advisory roles in the coming ones. Kyoshi obviously in the Suki one, and Kuruk in North and South or the Red Lotus one.

        Loading editor
    • Just for the record - and this might or might not be a spoiler for some people - North and South Part 3 ends with a little box that reads "The End". Fairly sure none of the others ended that way.

      Either there's going to be a hiatus in the Avatar stories while the Korra comics are released (starting in July), or they're done making Avatar stories altogether, and I can't see the latter happening through at least the end of a sixth trilogy.

        Loading editor
    • The Promise ended with "The End" but The Search - Smoke and Shadow did not.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote: The Promise ended with "The End" but The Search - Smoke and Shadow did not.

      Well, there you go. I say we could likely have the 1st part of the next comic this time next year.

      And once more, no Azula redemption! Smoke and Shadow would be a good end for her.

        Loading editor
    • Wouldn't that suggest that, at the time, The Promise was planned to be the end?

        Loading editor
    • Doubt it since it would've ended with a massive cliffhanger. Everyone would be like "YES! We're finally going to find out what happen to Zuko's mom! Wait what? That's it?! OMFG!!!"

        Loading editor
    • Welp, it's pretty much confirmed now. Part 3 of North and South has just been released and there's still no information on the next ATLA comic trilogy. I think it's safe to assume North and South is the last ATLA trilogy. 

        Loading editor
    • DarkNet1 wrote:
      Welp, it's pretty much confirmed now. Part 3 of North and South has just been released and there's still no information on the next ATLA comic trilogy. I think it's safe to assume North and South is the last ATLA trilogy. 

      I wouldn't say so. While Dark Horse has indeed stated that they want to focus on Turf Wars for now, it isn't clear if that means that the A:TLA comics come to a halt. For all we know, there was no mention of continuing the A:TLA comics nor stopping them.

      Personally, I doubt that this means the end for the comics just yet but it wouldn't surprise me if they would go on a break with so many issues in now and everyone busy with other projects and the hype that Turf Wars has. It's also not clear how they want to schedule the comics from now on since there was no word on that so far.

      I do wonder why they wouldn't want to publish the A:TLA and Korra comics at the same time but I guess that it would just mean more work and maybe time issues. Bryke are involved in all the comics, Michael even writing the Korra comics himself. I can imagine that working on them plus on their own projects would be difficult or maybe it's just Dark Horse's scheduling or whatsoever.

      We also have San Diego- and New York Comic Con and we may look out for other conventions as well to get some information about the comics. We must not forget that there was more than a year of radio silence about the Korra comics until we finally got a little inside scoop on those. Who knows, perhaps we now need to be patient with the A:TLA comics.

      One way or another, they need to resolve Azula's arc because I can't see them leaving it just in its current state since they've built it up throughout the comics with an interesting plot. If they want to stop with the A:TLA comics permanently, then they would need to resolve the Azula-arc before doing so and maybe, if there should be the opportunity, answer some questions. This doesn't mean, however, that it would need to be done immediately. Maybe they really aim for a break somehow for now and will continue making the comics sometime in the future - and with 'comics' here I mean the A:TLA comics, dunno about their plans for the Korra comics but that's another question for later.

      Anyway, I wouldn't count out more A:TLA comics just yet. We'll just have to wait and see, but until then we'll have the first part of the Korra comic, the Korra coloring book as well as the library edition of North and South.

        Loading editor
    • For what its worth Dark Horse's twitter replied to a tweet that said:

      "Are the Korra comics replacing the The Last Airbender comics?"

      with: "Not exactly. ATLA with likely be back, but we are going to focus on Korra for a while."

      (note the use of "not exactly" and "likely").

      I think this, combined with the lack of news, and the speculation that Irene Koh may not return for a second Korra trilogy (meaning they would at least have to take the time to find a new artist), means that the next ATLA comic will launch a few months after Turf Wars Part 3 (rather than Part 1 of the new ATLA comic releasing in between TW parts 1 and 2 or Parts 2 and 3).

      I do think that this gap could also allow Gene Yang some time to plan out somewhat of a basic outline for the next few comics moving forward.

      In regards to what I think the next ATLA series will be about, I'm pretty confident it will be a Fire Nation focused story that finally concludes Azula's arc, as well as perphaps finally getting Mai and Zuko back together/show they got back together offscreeen inbetween Smoke and Shadow and now, and show their relationship getting deeper (keep in mind we really arent that many years away from when Zuko and Mai must marry and then concieve Izumi).

      After that idk maybe either make the big timeskip here, or do one final pre-timeskip comic shortly after the Azula story that regards futher pushing Yu Dao and the colonies towards the United Republic and then do a timeskip.

        Loading editor
    • You know, for all of the concern surrounding these comics, there sure is a dearth of discussion on them. Good for avoiding spoilers, not so much for finding a place to post when I finally do read the things.

      I feel like that whole conflict got Equalized, they took down the Big Bad & for some reason it's over, even though it was a pervasive problem throughout the whole South. I guess it's probably the point that it wasn't resolved, since the North & South still have problems in Korra's time, but I didn't get a sense for how these 2 events related.

      Oh yeah, & no explanation for how that asshole knew Chi Blocking. Or if Hakoda & Malina finally shagged. This trilogy really had a weak start, a strong middle, & a so-so ending.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, it is good how we have avoided spoilers.

      A time skip sounds good. I don't think we are that close to Izumi being born-if she had Iroh II at 24, she was born 110 AG, so 7 years after Smoke and Shadow.

      @Neo; ouch. what do you think of ranking the comics now?

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      You know, for all of the concern surrounding these comics, there sure is a dearth of discussion on them. Good for avoiding spoilers, not so much for finding a place to post when I finally do read the things.

      Well I guess that can be attributed partially to people reading them at different times. Some read it when it hits comic stores, some read it later when it hits mass market, and some dont even start reading the trilogy until the library edition releases months later. Beyond that well with NS part 3 there's not a ton that interesting to disucss honestly. I could direct you to some places for spoiler discussion if interested.

        Loading editor
    • I think there's quite a lot of interesting points, hence why I find it kind of hypocritical that there are people who want to shelve Legend of Korra stuff for endless expansion on Aang's timeline, but these people don't seem to be all that interested in the material there actually is.

      @Neo; ouch. what do you think of ranking the comics now?

      The Promise<North & South<The Rift<Smoke & Shadow<The Search.

        Loading editor
    • @Neo; ouch. what do you think of ranking the comics now?

      The Promise<North & South<The Rift<Smoke & Shadow<The Search.

      My Top two are the same, but I'd move the promise to third or fourth.

        Loading editor
    • The Promise is probably always going to be dead lost because it's the only one I actually think is really bad. Mostly the 2nd part, but even outside of that, the characters are really off-model & act like crazy people. The point is horribly conveyed & almost nothing happens with the Yu Dao plotline until after the trilogy that was supposedly about it.

      It took me a while to get into North & South, but I really liked it when I did. There are a lot of badass & legitimately shocking moments, plus good world building for the Southern Tribe. However, it was brought down by how annoying Katara kept being, & because other than the villain being defeated, it doesn't feel like a lot was accomplished by the end. While there was a legitimately interesting theme about cultural trade vs. imperialism, it was ridiculously heavy-handed. The art was a little off, but nowhere near as bad as The Promise.

      The Rift kind of gets the middle of the road treatment because, while I recall some cool stuff like Old Iron & Toph reuniting with her parents, much of it is a blur to me. Apparently, it wasn't that memorable. As far as I can recall, the art was pretty good.

      Smoke & Shadow had a really great setup. Advancement on the development of canon characters, seeing Zuko in action as Fire Lord, the return of the Kyoshi Warriors, spirit shenanigans, world building for the Fire Nation, & so on. But I felt it was brought down by the weak ending involving Scooby Doo shenanigans, a barely coherent plan from Azula, & Zuko not really accomplishing anything personally.

      The Search is at the top because it managed to continually surprise & entertain me, advance the plot/world building, & not disappoint me. Plus, it's hard to top finally learning what happened to Ursa. Dumb paternity scare nonsense be damned. I think the 2 Fire Nation trilogies also had the best artwork.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      The Promise is probably always going to be dead lost because it's the only one I actually think is really bad. Mostly the 2nd part, but even outside of that, the characters are really off-model & act like crazy people. The point is horribly conveyed & almost nothing happens with the Yu Dao plotline until after the trilogy that was supposedly about it.

      Why do you think the characters were acting like crazy people?

        Loading editor
    • If Zuko so much as sneezed Aang was all "WHELP I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO KILL YOU!" Despite Aang taking that promise way too seriously, Zuko still had him make it, but thinks it's a grand idea to double cross the Earth King, blockade the town, & inform absolutely nobody of his motives for doing so. Also, he is needlessly secretive over the whole "I'm gonna go talk to my dad because he's my dad & also the only other Fire Lord I know" thing. But to his credit, he is the only one who doesn't obstinately refuse to see that breaking up a multi-ethnic city that doesn't want to be broken up is a bad idea, until Katara & Aang realize this would make their relationship impossible, something it took them entirely too long to figure out. These are a few of the more egregious bits of insanity. Only Kuei has an excuse for acting like an idiot because, well, he is.

        Loading editor
    • Haha, well done on explaining the Promise.

      The Rift was actually the most memorable to me, but we all have our opinions.

        Loading editor
    • Well I cant say I ever had those issues with the promise, but to be fair I havent read it in a while.

        Loading editor
    • I actually really enjoyed The Promise and The Rift. Smoke and Shadow & North and South (although it had some good moments) are on the lower half of my list. The Search would be #2.

        Loading editor
    • So Dark Horse is "focusing on Korra for a while"... whatever that means. I guess if the Korra comics manage to sell better than the most recent ATLA ones, they'll stick with Korra for 2-3 years and not work on new GAang stories (except for FCBD shorts).

      Maybe Yang won't even be back for more. He's still working for DC on the chinese superhero line, so it's not as if he's bored to death and will have nothing to do. Gurihuri might indeed jump over to doing art for a second Korra trilogy instead of Koh.

        Loading editor
    • Nico T wrote:
      So Dark Horse is "focusing on Korra for a while"... whatever that means. I guess if the Korra comics manage to sell better than the most recent ATLA ones, they'll stick with Korra for 2-3 years and not work on new GAang stories (except for FCBD shorts).

      I wouldnt go that far, the ATLA comics have sold well enough to keep making them tusfar, and the Azula plotline is still unresolved. More likely I just think the first part of the next ATLA trilogy will launch a few months after Turf Wars Part 3, and the ATLA and LoK series may alternate.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      Well now what?


      https://twitter.com/Gurihiru/status/873036172699680768

      Now we have to wait and see.

        Loading editor
    • I'd like to say that they will just get a new artist and at least do a story to finsish azula's arc, but with Dark Horse idk.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Page Admins wrote:
      I'd like to say that they will just get a new artist and at least do a story to finsish azula's arc, but with Dark Horse idk.

      I don't think there was a plan to have a ending for her arc in the first place. 

      If North and South is the final ATLA comic then it would seem that they always wanted Azula's ending to be up for the readers to decide. 

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      Avatar Page Admins wrote:
      I'd like to say that they will just get a new artist and at least do a story to finsish azula's arc, but with Dark Horse idk.
      I don't think there was a plan to have a ending for her arc in the first place. 

      If North and South is the final ATLA comic then it would seem that they always wanted Azula's ending to be up for the readers to decide. 

      lol then that makes me frustrated with Smoke and Shadow. I would have just not have seen azula after the search.

        Loading editor
    • so what now? we aren't going to get a new comic. I mean I am looking forward to the Legend Of Korra comic series that is starting next month but I want this to continue!

        Loading editor
    • Belalxat wrote:
      so what now? we aren't going to get a new comic. I mean I am looking forward to the Legend Of Korra comic series that is starting next month but I want this to continue!

      someone tell me what is going to happen now that one artist decided to end his work? 

        Loading editor
    • More likely than not, they were dropped because someone higher on the chain has decided to stop making Avatar (or at least Aang) related comics for the foreseeable future.

        Loading editor
    • Belalxat wrote:
      Belalxat wrote:
      so what now? we aren't going to get a new comic. I mean I am looking forward to the Legend Of Korra comic series that is starting next month but I want this to continue!
      someone tell me what is going to happen now that one artist decided to end his work? 

      We don't know. If we do get more it won't be for awhile since a new artist has to be hired but maybe there was never a endgame plan for the comics.

      All we can do is wait for answers.

        Loading editor
    • The artist of Turf Wars has stated to be working only on this trilogy, so we'll also have to wait for a new artist for the Korra comics.

        Loading editor
    • There will most likely be a sixth A:TLA Trilogy. If there is, the main focus should be towards Azula and Aang and Katara. Azula has to have a final arc and there has to be a wedding between Aang and Katara. If not, a proposal at the least. I will no be satisfied until these are either explained or put into a trilogy.

        Loading editor
    • We shall see. If we're lucky, we'll get some info on that in three days' time at SDCC.

        Loading editor
    • I did check the Dark Horse lineup for Comic-Con. Nothing about ATL:A but again, we shall see.

        Loading editor
    • AnonymousAvatarFan wrote:
      I did check the Dark Horse lineup for Comic-Con. Nothing about ATL:A but again, we shall see.

      For what its worth they could techincally announce something ATLA related at the LoK panel sunday.

        Loading editor
    • Possibly. If we do get some A:TLA-related news, it will most likely be that a sixth trilogy is in the works.

        Loading editor
    • AnonymousAvatarFan wrote:
      Possibly. If we do get some A:TLA-related news, it will most likely be that a sixth trilogy is in the works.

      Or not.

        Loading editor
    • This year's SDCC had no news for ATLA comics. Maybe NYCC will be different.

        Loading editor
    • Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      This year's SDCC had no news for ATLA comics. Maybe NYCC will be different.

      Same goes for the Korra comics, except the fact that the second issue of Turf Wars has been delayed by two weeks to January 31.

        Loading editor
    • Korra2000 wrote:

      Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      This year's SDCC had no news for ATLA comics. Maybe NYCC will be different.

      Same goes for the Korra comics, except the fact that the second issue of Turf Wars has been delayed by two weeks to January 31.

      I believe that was also the way it went last year, that SDCC was kind of disappointing when it came to Avatar news, but then at NYCC there was a lot more and it was more fun, which is always good.

        Loading editor
    • Well, until NYCC, there is nothing else to do expect to be patient.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarAang7 wrote:

      Korra2000 wrote:

      Teen Titans Forever! wrote:
      This year's SDCC had no news for ATLA comics. Maybe NYCC will be different.
      Same goes for the Korra comics, except the fact that the second issue of Turf Wars has been delayed by two weeks to January 31.
      I believe that was also the way it went last year, that SDCC was kind of disappointing when it came to Avatar news, but then at NYCC there was a lot more and it was more fun, which is always good.

      Personally, I didn't really expect to get news on the A:TLA comics because, despite the panel's name being "The Comic Book Elements of Avatar and Korra", it was (at least for me) obvious that this was supposed to be a panel about TLoK only because with Turf Wars only a few days away and because all the hype about it, it only makes sense, you know?

      It's not like they didn't talk about A:TLA or didn't mention the comics at all, but that was just it - they mentioned it, and then moved on to the Korra related things. Sure, they could have at least said a sentence about it or whatsoever, but maybe it wasn't their place to do so. (Here's a link to the panel for anyone that's interested about what they talked.)

      I was disappointed, however, by the lack of news in overall and I think I'm not the only one. It's kinda a shame that they didn't do the usual Q&A because that might have delivered us some answers but that was due to the fact they had started 10 min late with the panel and went out of time towards the end, I guess. (They did the trivia game in the remaining 10 min of the panel, though, which, in my opinion, they could have used for a quick Q&A.)

      I at least expected something related to the Korra comics, like the cover of the third part or a product description or preview pages, since the script for that has been finished a long time ago and Irene is next to done with illustrating it. Instead, they showed the preview pages of the first part that have been out since February, but I guess that was to tell people who didn't know about it "Hey, look. Here are some preview pages that you might have not known about."

      What's more, I think the panel was just to reminish about the show and to advertise Turf Wars, rather than giving us any news. I do hope that we will get news, however, in the near future. It would be nice if there was another Avatar or Korra panel (or both) at NYCC that's hopefully more gladdening.

      Fingers crossed.

        Loading editor
    • Yes. Hopefully, there will be more news on the A:TLA and LoK comics.

        Loading editor
    • Oh we'll defiantly get more news eventually but whether they will be good or bad is yet to be seen.

        Loading editor
    • Turf Wars Part One was just released today. That is the only new thing in the avatar universe for now.

        Loading editor
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-JJIamQcY

      ​New ATLA comics confirmed! Why do you think Team Gurihiru decided to stop being involved with making them?

        Loading editor
    •   Loading editor
    • AnonymousAvatarFan
      AnonymousAvatarFan removed this reply because:
      Incorrect spelling
      04:55, July 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • So there is a possibility that more than one A:TLA comic on the way? If there is, I am actually pretty surprised.

        Loading editor
    • I was... prepared for either outcome, actually. I think we don't know if Dark Horse confirmed several additional trilogies or just one. It was kinda vague on that matter, but we shall see "in a few months", according to DH.

        Loading editor
    • NYCC Comic-Con is in a few months. I think we'll get major news for both A:TLA and LoK

        Loading editor
    • North and South seems like a strange note to end on, as far as ATLA comics are concerned. Not to say it wasn't a riveting narrative arc, but it seems too, I don't know, modest to qualify as the denouement to all of the Gaang's postwar reconstruction. In comparison to other comics, not much came of the events in North and South- just some admissions among the likes of Katara.

        Loading editor
    • True. North and South would have been a strange note to end on. If the next A:TLA comic is going to be the final Avatar Aang comic, I hope it has a very satisfying ending and it could also have four parts instead of three, but I doubt that.

        Loading editor
    • what is the last comic going to be called then?

        Loading editor
    • Gracekim12 wrote:
      what is the last comic going to be called then?

      We don't know anything about the upcoming A:TLA trilogy/trilogies. Here's hoping we'll get news about it at NYCC which is from October 3rd - 8th, IIRC.

        Loading editor
    • Oh ok.

        Loading editor
    • There's no confirmation that this will be the final ATLA comic. We only know that there will be another comic.

        Loading editor
    • Ok I understand

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message