FANDOM


  • I just remembered that we didn't see any of Sokka's potential children in some way. I guess that his relationship with Suki might take a twist in the comics or something as we did not see her in LOK. I'm just curious if anyone has any information about this? If not, i just wish they would have explained what happened to the original Team Avatar more deeply in Korra but i assume that we will have to wait for the comics...

      Loading editor
    • Sadly, we do not know.

        Loading editor
    • TBH I don't think so because Sokka did not seem like the kind of person to have kids.

        Loading editor
    • We don't know and we don't need to know.  It's 100% irrelevant to the story that was told.  Deal with it.

        Loading editor
    • McJediProbie wrote:
      We don't know and we don't need to know.  It's 100% irrelevant to the story that was told.  Deal with it.

      That's untrue. Sokka's family shoud have had a role either (or even both) in the Second and Fourth season. The 2nd because Sokka was the son of a chief (or even the chief) of the Southern Water Tribe. Knowing how or why his family (if he had own, which seems logical when you see what kind of person he was in AtLA) lost the title of chief could have been quite important (with them backing Varric, for instance, or possibly opposing him to wage their own Coup d'Etat). And for the fourth season, seeing what happened at Kyoshi island (a part of the Earth Kingdom) were Sokka and Suki could have lived if they left the Southern Water tribe.

      Now, i would like the writers to explore less Zuko and Aang's story after the end of the first series to develop characters who sorely need it (Sokka, Hakoda, Haku and many others).

        Loading editor
    • Urthan wrote:
      McJediProbie wrote:
      We don't know and we don't need to know.  It's 100% irrelevant to the story that was told.  Deal with it.
      That's untrue. Sokka's family shoud have had a role either (or even both) in the Second and Fourth season. The 2nd because Sokka was the son of a chief (or even the chief) of the Southern Water Tribe. Knowing how or why his family (if he had own, which seems logical when you see what kind of person he was in AtLA) lost the title of chief could have been quite important (with them backing Varric, for instance, or possibly opposing him to wage their own Coup d'Etat). And for the fourth season, seeing what happened at Kyoshi island (a part of the Earth Kingdom) were Sokka and Suki could have lived if they left the Southern Water tribe.

      Now, i would like the writers to explore less Zuko and Aang's story after the end of the first series to develop characters who sorely need it (Sokka, Hakoda, Haku and many others).

      What I said is 100% true.  Sokka's descendants (if they even exist) had absolutely nothing to do with the story that was actually told in seasons 2-4.  The writers certainly could have included them...but they chose not to.  Whether they should have (as you think they seem to think they should have) is entirely another issue.    

        Loading editor
    • McJediProbie wrote:
      We don't know and we don't need to know.  It's 100% irrelevant to the story that was told.  Deal with it.

      It may be irrelevant to the story in LOK but it is still interesting to see how the characters developed which was my main intention with the question. 

        Loading editor
    • That's you're opinion, which is fine and perfectly reasonable.  My opinion is the opposite, but just as reasonable: I don't think it's interesting at all. It's all a matter of personal preference.

        Loading editor
    • McJediProbie wrote:
      That's you're opinion, which is fine and perfectly reasonable.  My opinion is the opposite, but just as reasonable: I don't think it's interesting at all. It's all a matter of personal preference.

      But you clicked on this thread - which indicates a matter of interest. Unless you came in here just to poop all over the idea.

      I think he did have kids. AND...since it's an ongoing saga of epic wonderfulness, I'm sure we'll meet them! The comics are amazing.

        Loading editor
    • I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  

        Loading editor
    • Flying Fury wrote:
      I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  

      Why? What roles would his kids have if he had them? Besides, we got to know that he became Chief of the southern water tribe, a United Republic representitive, that he, Zuko and Tonraq protected Korra from the Red Lotus during her childhood and that Katara misses him. I think that's enough.

        Loading editor
    • Mrnewwanderer wrote:
      Flying Fury wrote:
      I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  
      Why? What roles would his kids have if he had them? Besides, we got to know that he became Chief of the southern water tribe, a United Republic representitive, that he, Zuko and Tonraq protected Korra from the Red Lotus during her childhood and that Katara misses him. I think that's enough.

      Meh.

        Loading editor
    • Mrnewwanderer wrote:
      Flying Fury wrote:
      I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  
      Why? What roles would his kids have if he had them? Besides, we got to know that he became Chief of the southern water tribe, a United Republic representitive, that he, Zuko and Tonraq protected Korra from the Red Lotus during her childhood and that Katara misses him. I think that's enough.

      Sokka's kids could be waterbenders, possible childhood playmates of Korra. Sokka was also fairly "mech-savvy", if you will. It would be interesting to see how much he tinkered around when he got older and what he would teach his possible kids.

        Loading editor
    • Slaphappyjoy wrote:
      Mrnewwanderer wrote:
      Flying Fury wrote:
      I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  
      Why? What roles would his kids have if he had them? Besides, we got to know that he became Chief of the southern water tribe, a United Republic representitive, that he, Zuko and Tonraq protected Korra from the Red Lotus during her childhood and that Katara misses him. I think that's enough.
      Sokka's kids could be waterbenders, possible childhood playmates of Korra. Sokka was also fairly "mech-savvy", if you will. It would be interesting to see how much he tinkered around when he got older and what he would teach his possible kids.

      Sokka's children only being playmates for Korra doesn't seem very important to the story at all other than the possible cuteness of it.

        Loading editor
    • Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

        Loading editor
    • Maybe he just didn't want kids.

        Loading editor
    • Urthan wrote:
      Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

      Maybe. But I don't think the creators would have had the time to put that in the story. They were already in a very tight schedule during Book 2 because Nickelodeon requested more seasons on a very short notice.

      And besides. The story isn't about the original Team Avatar's children. ALoK is about the Avatar and modern societies (in the Avatar world that is). They put Tenzin, Kya, Bumi, Lin, Suyin, Iroh II and Izumi with them so there would be more connection to the original series.

        Loading editor
    • Urthan wrote:
      Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

      The SWT doesn't have a hereditary system to their chieftainship; from what I can tell, their leaders are chosen, so Sokka's chidlren, if they existed, wouldn't have a claim to the position

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      Urthan wrote:
      Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

      The SWT doesn't have a hereditary system to their chieftainship; from what I can tell, their leaders are chosen, so Sokka's chidlren, if they existed, wouldn't have a claim to the position

      But I thought Sokka inherited his position from Hakoda? I think it only became an elective chiefdom after the Water Tribe Civil War.

        Loading editor
    • Mrnewwanderer wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Urthan wrote:
      Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

      The SWT doesn't have a hereditary system to their chieftainship; from what I can tell, their leaders are chosen, so Sokka's chidlren, if they existed, wouldn't have a claim to the position
      But I thought Sokka inherited his position from Hakoda? I think it only became an elective chiefdom after the Water Tribe Civil War.

      According to Bryke, the tribes have always had just one official chief, the one in the North; it's just that the tribes drifted apart over the years and the northern chief became a figurehead. The SWT, before the civil war and the official breaking of the Tribes, was ruled by a council of elders. Hakoda and Sokka were both chiefs, but  the current idea is the SWT chief is some kind of informal position. Moreover, ATLA itself seems to suggest Hakoda's family isn't royalty or anything like Arnook's family is. Of course, for all we know that could retconned given the synospis of North and South, but for now, that's what sees to be going on.

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      Mrnewwanderer wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Urthan wrote:
      Sokka's children would have a claim to the title of Chief of the Southern Water Tribe. Seeing them could have explained why they didn't press for their birthright : they are living on Kyoshi Island, they have been banished for a fault, or perhaps the coming of many Northern Water Tribe members after the war led to tensions, with the Northener pushing for union with the North Pole and Sokka's and his children leaving the tribe because, depsite their reluctance to submit to another leader far way from their home, they didn't want to ignite a civil war between the Tribes and inside the Southern Water Tribe itself. Hell, it could have explained why Sokka was chairmain of the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City and why there was two sieges for the Tribes : it was basically an honorable way out for a war hero, a way for the new Chief of the two Water Tribes to prove his respect for Sokka while insuring that the friend of Aang wouldn't have a say in internal Tribes matters.

      There was a wealth of potential for Sokka's children, far greater than even Toph's if tou ask me, and not even having a mention or them (and Sokka barely making a blimp in the first season, and just a little more in the second, when he was supposed to have played a very important role at one point in time in Republic City history) was really a flaw in the serie, because I felt it was mostly because Sokka was the only normal guy in the core Team Avatar, and that the writers wanted to fully concentrate upon benders in LoK, with the non-benders either being manipulated racists (equalists) despite prefectly understandable reasons or just absent altogether. Even Zaheer was as deadly as he was because he became a bender. I really hope that one day we'll have a serie of comics centered only (or almost only) on Sokka...

      The SWT doesn't have a hereditary system to their chieftainship; from what I can tell, their leaders are chosen, so Sokka's chidlren, if they existed, wouldn't have a claim to the position
      But I thought Sokka inherited his position from Hakoda? I think it only became an elective chiefdom after the Water Tribe Civil War.
      According to Bryke, the tribes have always had just one official chief, the one in the North; it's just that the tribes drifted apart over the years and the northern chief became a figurehead. The SWT, before the civil war and the official breaking of the Tribes, was ruled by a council of elders. Hakoda and Sokka were both chiefs, but  the current idea is the SWT chief is some kind of informal position. Moreover, ATLA itself seems to suggest Hakoda's family isn't royalty or anything like Arnook's family is. Maybe we'll get a better understanding of the system when North and South comes out, but for now that's what seems to be going on.

      Yeah, I know the SWT isn't royalty (otherwise Katara, Sokka and Korra would have been a prince and princesses) but I always assumed it was a sovereign state with their own figurehead whose power is given by the people. Either by election or popularity. And that the NWT chief was only the chief of both tribes because the Fire Nation had crippled the south and they wanted to help them rebuilt.

      But you have convinced me. I guess it's basically like having a president whose role is mainly ceremonial.

        Loading editor
    • WHat if Tanroq was related to sokka like a great nephew or something

        Loading editor
    • MikaylaJade wrote:
      WHat if Tanroq was related to sokka like a great nephew or something

      He couldn't be Sokka's great-nephew because that would make him Katara's grandson and we know that's not true.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think he had any children. If he did they would have least been mention in the show.

        Loading editor
    • Never know, we might see his grandkids do something with Korra in the upcoming novels.

        Loading editor
    • Wow, old thread :3

      I hope we get to see some Sokka and Suki development so that they are the ones to have kids if they decide to. 

        Loading editor
    • Still havent gotten over no sokka at all. Jusr a waste of potential.

        Loading editor
    • McJediProbie wrote:
      We don't know and we don't need to know.  It's 100% irrelevant to the story that was told.  Deal with it.


      Yes this is completely irrelevant as McJediProbie has said and so does this all which is shown is irrelevant in LOK

      (Season 1)Sokka was chair man of counsel of republic city how did tarrlok become chairman and who was representative of southern water tribe in the counsel. Of course in LOK there were five counselors. Representatives from the Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, Air Nation, and both the Northern and Southern Water Tribes. And if there was a representatives at the counsel and there should be a chief too.

      (Season 2)And how tunlaq can be the chief or unalaq our their father because chief Arnook had only a daughter, which give up her life for ‘tui’ . And if their successor is not the descendent then why his daughter was called princess and why unalaq become chief after his father

      You wanna know whats irrelevant is why kya and bumi are shown because you need other comedians? And why is katara still alive ?

      (Season 3)You wanna know what role he or his children can play. He was one of the greatest non-benders known. Piandao also said about his ability. Who possibly defeated zaheer. Sokka can  be the next leader of white lotus as you white lotus is now run by an unknown man. White lotus was also strong because of its leader. And about his children if he marries suki, his children would be a league of elite warriors of the time. And possibly they could all run white lotus themselves. And they would be much for red lotus.

        Loading editor
    • We don't see them ever introduced in the Republic City or the Southern Water Tribe, so I kind of doubt they exist. Plus, I think Katara would've mention them? I mean, they are her family, no? Family is everything to her (especially in LoK). 

        Loading editor
    • When Suki is their mother, they are most likely in the firenation, which sadly was not featured in LoK

        Loading editor
    • Flying Fury wrote:
      I was disappoint that sokka never appeared in LOK. He was one of my favorite characterrs. I couldnt believe how they rarely talked about him. There was so much they couldve done with him. Like show who he married and what his kids were like.  At least show he had kids. They wouldnt have to do much. Just appearing wouldve good enough.  

      welll he was in that flashback as an adult.....

        Loading editor
    • I think suyin Beifong is his daughter

        Loading editor
    • Or varrick

        Loading editor
    • To love this wrote:
      I think suyin Beifong is his daughter

      hmmm that's a possiblity. I remember when Toph had a crush on Sokka but then he fell for Suki...

        Loading editor
    • Ya I don't know why it just a feeling that toph and sokka had something and suyin was the result

        Loading editor
    • To love this wrote:
      Ya I don't know why it just a feeling that toph and sokka had something and suyin was the result

      It is a good theory

        Loading editor
    • Just wish there were some fanfiction about it

        Loading editor
    • hmmm... I can try that in the future. I remember planning a fanfic for Azula but I didn't get very far with it

        Loading editor
    • Great but also didn't varrick remind u a lot of sokka

        Loading editor
    • yeah

        Loading editor
    • I mean if these theory are true either suki varrick mother or sokka was banging every girl in the series

        Loading editor
    • XD well you know Sokka, his humor must realluy bring in the ladies XD

        Loading editor
    • True and while were own it is mai zuko daughter mother

        Loading editor
    • Sadly Sokka passed away sometime after Aang took away Yakone's bending (because we see him on the council) and before LOK. Many believe that he passed away in a battle when trying to restore some peace between non-benders and benders.

      There have been many theories and hints that Sokka and Suki broke up on bad terms. The theory is: Suki become an equalist developing into more extreme measures and mentality; Leading to Sokka's disliking her going about it fighting equality and ending the relationship. Suki learned the technique from Ty Lee (as seen in the final episode when she's officially part of the Kyoshi Warriors). I feel like this is something Suki would do; she's always had a sense of equalism, passionate, and determined to see things through even. She's never abandoned hope or being the first to help people like in the ATLA THe Serpent's Pass. I don't think she's ever disliked bending but has been through discrimination because she's not a bender.

      In my opinion, I think Sokka probably passed away without children or a partner. We never hear about Suki in LOK and since she played a big role in Sokka's storyline; I feel like if they were together when Sokka passed away, she would've been shown or at least mentioned by Katara or someone close.

        Loading editor
    • Many believe that he passed away in a battle when trying to restore some peace between non-benders and benders.

      Yes, this has come up every now & again, but there's never been any actual evidence for it.

      There have been many [...] hints that Sokka and Suki broke up on bad terms.

      Doesn't list any.

      The theory is: Suki become an equalist developing into more extreme measures and mentality

      Before the Equalists even existed? Whose theory? Sounds like a "careful not to cut yourself on all that edge" moment, really.

      I don't think she's ever disliked bending but has been through discrimination because she's not a bender.

      When?

      I feel like if they were together when Sokka passed away, she would've been shown or at least mentioned by Katara or someone close.

      But she is mentioned by outside sources. Mike & Bryan describe them as "moving to the suburbs," & she comes up in the Legacy book, which is written from an in-universe perspective.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message