FANDOM


  • I had an idea for the next avatar (if they even make one) and i'd like some comments on it.

    The avatar would be an earth kingdom orphan around the age of 16. He has been travelling round not really doing anything when the order of the white lotus find him and tell him he is the avatar. But there are 2 problems. He doesn't want to be the avatar and he can't bend (as far as he is concerned). Then the books could be set about learning how to bend, overcoming the idea of having responsibilities (having had none before) and generally trying to figure out why he was choosen in the first place. 

    I think it would make a great next chapter in the avatar series and any feedback is helpful.

      Loading editor
    • avatat who dont want to face his destiny ? just like aang's story right?

        Loading editor
    • Set up a decoy protagonist, in my opinion. Introduce a character who's an earthbending prodigy; set this other earthbender kid—a friend, or even a sibling—up as rather lackluster by comparison. Then, twenty minutes into the pilot, have that second kid firebend.

        Loading editor
    • I believe every avatar is born with talent in bending, as we see Korra bending three elements at a young age and except from earth Aang could do basic water and firebending on the first try, so it would be hard to believe an avatar who thinks he's a non-bender, unless he never tried or maybe he doesn't have the mindset of an earthbender and doesn't have any reason to believe he can bend other element.

      I think it would be good if he (the avatar) ran off and the story consisted of the people looking for him and the avatar doesn't appear at all in the beginning as it is mostly they searching for him. There would also be something happening so they have to find him quickly and begin his training ASAP.

        Loading editor
    • Roku was 16 and the firesages walked up to him and said "hey, broski, you're the Avatar, come with us." He was dumbfounded.

      Aang found out much earlier, at like 12, from someone else.

      So, it happens both ways, where Avatars don't have any idea they're the Avatar and others know it as kids.

        Loading editor
    • But they didn't try, if they did they would dicoer they were the avatar as we can see Aang could waterbend on the first try even better than Katara and could make fire with little instruction from Jeong Jeong.

      And in this case he think he's a non-bender, meaning he didn't try to bend even earth wich i find hard to believe.

        Loading editor
    • You don't know that they didn't try. But they also don't really know much about other bending styles as they live in rather isolated cultures, so they aren't being taught forms or really seeing any other types of benders.

      I certainly think it reasonable to assume that some Avatars learned multiple bending styles very early, like Korra, and I also find it plausible that some of them didn't, or even never learned that they were the Avatar.

      I think if we have another Avatar discovering they are the Avatar and having to learn the other bending styles, might be a little redundant as that was a major part of what Aang's story was about. But I guess if there was an interesting plot going on meanwhile, it could work again.

        Loading editor
    • You would need a reason why the white Lotus didn't find him, and why he can't bend, maybe something spiritual in nature

        Loading editor
    • The White Lotus hadn't found all or even most of the Avatars and was shrouded in secrecy until recently. Especially if it's in the Earth Nation, it's the biggest nation with the highest population, it could be difficult to discover amongst them, unless the new Avatar showed some blatant feats.

      The new Avatar just may have never been taught or tried.

        Loading editor
    • The next avatar is something special

      they are born as twins one boy and one girl

      but because of a war, they are split up and dont know of each other.

      the ligth of ravha is split between them so neither of them 

      can bend they 4 elements, the boy can bend earth and fire

      while the girl air and water.



      They are both brougth up in different situation, 

      Him being a wanderer using his firebending to get in trouble, a tipical rufian.



      She being adopted and brogth up and become a nurse using her waterbeding

      to help and heal people



      The white lotus has never thougth about looking for them cause the dark avatar

      cycle has begun and now that it is, the avatar cicle is by it the next avatar is not born

      inmiadtly

      The white lotus fin him before and they find him and mistake him for the real one.

        Loading editor
    • Thats just stupid.

        Loading editor
    • I'm just assuming they didn't try because Aang could bend water better than Katara in his first try as he bended fire without proper instruction, and Korra bended 3 elements without any instruction when she was a kid so i assumed if he tried bending other elements he would succeed. (Aang and Korra have problems with earth and air respectively because of their personality) So i assume every avatar is born with innate bending talent for every element and it all depends of his personality. All just assumptions but they make sense to me.

      Even if they narrow the search to just the kids born in the day of the death of the last avatar it's easy to believe they would miss some avatars and they would have to discover they were the avatars by themselves.

      I find it hard to believe he would think he was a non-bender since he would have to try bending to know he can't bend. The only way i see it working is if he doesn't have a personality fitting of earthbending and his family is all made of earthbenders so he wouldn't have any reason to try any other bending. But i think that if he have a earthbender mother and a firebender father and tried firebending first an tought he was a firebender and so couldn't be tha avatar would be nice too.

        Loading editor
    • If someone were born to nonbending parents (which is most common in the Earth Nation) they might not ever even think about it.

      But interesting thought about the mixed parents and going, "oh hey, I'm a firebender, no point trying earth." On that, I also wonder what all will happen with mixed parents and offspring in general, if it comes around to air again...there are no (known anyways) pure ethnic air nation people left. When it starts going into hybrids...does the cycle really follow that, does it go geographically? Biologically? I wonder who it goes to?

        Loading editor
    • I used to think bending was a more spiritual thing then biological but that doesn't make much sense as two firebenders can't have a airbender it's probably genetic. But triyng to see it's genetics is really hard.

      For example:

      Aang is an Airbender (Aa) and Katara is a Waterbender with non-bender genes (Wn). So their kids are:

      Tenzin (Aw or An) Airbender

      Kya (Wa or Wn) Waterbender

      Bumi (Na) non-bender who can have airbender kids (i assume the genes can be either dominant or recessive and it's decide by spirituality wich gene is what.)

      That's why i believe all air nomads were benders, they were all spiritually evolved.

        Loading editor
    • Frread wrote:
      The next avatar is something special

      they are born as twins one boy and one girl

      but because of a war, they are split up and dont know of each other.

      the ligth of ravha is split between them so neither of them 

      can bend they 4 elements, the boy can bend earth and fire

      while the girl air and water.



      They are both brougth up in different situation, 

      Him being a wanderer using his firebending to get in trouble, a tipical rufian.



      She being adopted and brogth up and become a nurse using her waterbeding

      to help and heal people



      The white lotus has never thougth about looking for them cause the dark avatar

      cycle has begun and now that it is, the avatar cicle is by it the next avatar is not born

      inmiadtly

      The white lotus fin him before and they find him and mistake him for the real one.

      The Dark avatar can never been cycled .  Unalaq's,die in the avatar state together with vatu. the dark avatar cycle will be broken if he is in avatar state just like the Avatar case. that's why zaheer did in book 3 "balance" episode 11 is to kill korra in avatar state because he knows about that. in that case, after 10,000 years' Vaatu will be born again inside ravaa . i think your idea is not applicable in avatar journey. reguarding your idea about the twin avatars? it is never been happend unlease the avatars have two light spirit, and we know that their is only one light spirit which is ravaa. nice idea but it is just _____ >< ?

        Loading editor
    • Depending on how this season of Korra ends, we could see an Earth Kingdom/Empire that is VERY opposed to the Avatar, so the next Avatar might have to hide his/her (hope it's a him just because we'll have just finished with Korra) identity just to survive. Could set up a cool dynamic where the White Lotus has been looking for him for his whole life, but he's kept a low enough profile that they can't find him. Book 1 could be the authorities find out and it's a race between the government and the White Lotus to find him first. Or they could go the boring route and have him born in Republic City.

      However, seeing as Nick seems intent on killing the franchise as soon as possible, which will be in the next two or three weeks, we'll likely never get another Avatar.

        Loading editor
    • I think a lot of people here have very good ideas of who the Avatar might be, so I'll talk about the possible villain for the next Earth Avatar. So by his or her time, the Avatarverse will have entered around post-World War II technology right? I theorize that after Kuvira's war, scientific technology rises in the world thanks to the efforts of Varrick and Asami and many people are beginning to learn about technology. But one organization rises and uses scientific technology for the worse, and over the years, they start developing a drug that can grant somebody any bending powers. So any nonbender can become a bender, and any person already a bender of one element can become a bender of two elements--or maybe four. This is a very mysterious international organization that is devoted to not only this bending drug effort, but also various assassinations, robberies, and other attempts to gather funds for various projects. 

      As to what kind of evil intent they're going to use this drug for, I don't know. However I find that it would be nice to see the next villain be not an individual bender but a large and mysterious organization related to science and technology.

        Loading editor
    • I think it would be more likely to have the bad guys be anti-technology.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe the next Avatar series could be somewhat set in a steampunk era like Final Fantasy VI with a Avatar that is the descendant of Toph. Just a opinionated suggestion.

        Loading editor
    • It would be quite weird if they started a whole new series over again, continuing with korra is more likely, they left her life open at the end so they could easily return 5-6 years later. The fire nation is yet to be properly looked into then tenzins kids are now more mature and maybe protect more of the air nomad sites? 

        Loading editor
    • Do not look a new Avatar, this makes no sense, it gnawed bone to a selected one need to look again, and when to build the whole story, but rather would start in the franchise in a different direction, Lin and the Beifong family spin-off TV series please from Mike and Bryan!

        Loading editor
    • I have an idea for the next avatar. And I don't even have to say what it is.

        Loading editor
    • I like the idea of a misguided avatar

      The series starts with Korra relieving the White Lotus of their duties to protect the new avatar. When Korra dies her spirit is reincarnated into a small boy in the earth kingdom city of Gaoling. Unable to financially support her son, the avatar's mother abandons him on the streets. A man (let's just call him Zhao for now) sees the infant on the street and decides to raise him as his own. Zhao is a high ranking member of a traditionalist radical group that seeks to revert the Earth Kingdom back to a monarchy. He also has his own sights of a balanced world under one ruler. After finding out that he is raising the avatar, Zhao decides to train him himself. Under his wing Zhao teaches the avatar about his ideology and convinces him that the only way to make balance in the world is to unite the 4 nations under one leader, using Republic City as an example. The avatar follows along with his father's wishes and, with help from the radical group, seizes control of the earth kingdom. The group gains more followers as they soon invade the fire nation. The story advances when the avatar connects with Korra and the spirit world. Recognizing his actions as a huge mistake and the hiddeous truth behind Zhao's actions, the avatar must find a way to handle the growing monarchal movement that he started and decipher what is right and what is wrong. Ultimately he must figure out how to face his father, the one who took care of him and the one he owes his life to.

        Loading editor
    • So. The next avatar is going to be born in the earth kingdom. There is no doubt about that, but everyone is questioning the parameters under which he or she will be born. Will they be rich, poor, orphaned?

      One thing I've noticed as a commonality between the birthplace of the avatars is that they are connected in one way or another to that avatar's predecessor. For example, Roku's successor would come from the Air Nomads and he learned Airbending with Gyatso. Then, Aang was born at the same temple Gyatso occupied. Aang's successor would come from the Water Tribe and he met his Waterbending teacher and wife at the Southern Water Tribe. Then, Korra was born at the Southern Water Tribe. Korra's successor will come from the Earth Kingdom. 

      What aspect of the Earth Kingdom or what Earthbender really meant something to Korra? I can think of a whole family of Earthbenders who was not only important to Korra but Aang as well. That would be the Bei Fong family.

      After all, friendships really do last a lifetime.

      But how do we make this avatar different from the others?

      Aang was calm, innocent, spiritual, hesitant to be the avatar, but none the less and eager learner.

      Korra was rash, loud, physical, lived to be the avatar, but rage quit quite a lot.

      So hear me out:

      The Bei Fong family welcomes a new set of twin girls. One is strong and healthy, but the other is deformed and weak. The father is prideful and gives away the weaker sibling, telling everyone that it had died.

      The stronger one grows up with no knowledge of the other twin, is raised to be modest despite her fortune. She welcomes two other siblings into her life and her father trains her in Earthbending. She always knew she would carry on the legacy of her ancestor Toph Bei Fong, but never imagined she would carry the role of the avatar. That is until one day, she froze her mother's cup of tea.

      Her parents summon the White Lotus, and for a test, they bring forth a few items that belonged to the former avatar. One of the members is none other than Asami Sato. She asks the girl to select an item to give her as a gift, and she selects a crystal flower that Korra gave to Asami long ago. Asami sees her soulmate in the youngster and is assured that this is the avatar. 

      Being the prideful man he is, her father rushes the avatar through all of her bending training except for earthbending which she has already mastered. It looks good for him to have "a fully realized avatar in the family" but is really just bad for her. The rushed training would definitely be incomplete, which is especially bad for a new world threat on the rise. The next avatar series will also clearly be set in a modern-day world. Bending is incredibly similar to martial arts in our world, so it should evolve as such. It will probably transition from the main source of offense/defense back in the day to a practiced sport that is still used for self-defense. Bending still has applications in the modern world. Waterbenders can become very adept healers and doctors, earth benders can still be used in architecture. Benders can often manipulate items far more accurately and powerfully than any machine. However, they are arrested for crimes of violence far more often.


      I've always noticed (and this was very clever on the writer's part) that the events in the Avatar universe seem to correlate with some kind of event that happened in our own world. Mostly taking the timeline of LoK for example, we have an era of a lot of invention, industry, and the emergence of gangsters (ex. Triple Threat-Triad). We have a leader of a new movement seeking to make everything as equal as possible. There is even a leader who rose up from a powerful country, was well respected, but ended up having nothing but fascist motives.

      The timeline of LoK has so many ties to the events of our world's 1920s-1940s. The invention of the Sato mobiles and the invention of cars, the rise of industry and the rise of Wallstreet, the equalist movement and the rise of communism, and Kuvira's campaign and the rise of Hitler.

      The avatar villains have always been so complex and amazingly written, and their motives are often ones that we see in our own history. It is obvious that the next avatar will hail from the earth nation and will also exist in a modern day timeline. What kind of motives or serious villainy do we see going on in our modern day? And the avatar's lost twin must come back at some point. I was thinking they are the head of whatever the big threat is. They're probably a non-bender, angry and jealous of her sister's abilities and life.

      The only one really coming to my mind that is serious but also palatable is terrorism and several small yet vicious wars.

      But how would terrorism be played out in this universe? What kind of terrorism would they try to evoke? Is the twin really really the head or just a member who joined to get retribution? And how will the world be with a jack of all trades, master of none avatar? I want you guys to help me out on this.

        Loading editor
    • For starters, why not make the weaker sibling the Avatar, instead of contributing to the old "the less fortunate are bitter & evil" trope? Secondly, if you're going for terrorists, either religiously-motivated extremists or black ops mercenaries that destabilize rival states for the benefit of those hiring them.

        Loading editor
    • JustAnAverageFan wrote:
      I had an idea for the next avatar (if they even make one) and i'd like some comments on it.

      The avatar would be an earth kingdom orphan around the age of 16. He has been travelling round not really doing anything when the order of the white lotus find him and tell him he is the avatar. But there are 2 problems. He doesn't want to be the avatar and he can't bend (as far as he is concerned). Then the books could be set about learning how to bend, overcoming the idea of having responsibilities (having had none before) and generally trying to figure out why he was choosen in the first place.I think it would make a great next chapter in the avatar series and any feedback is helpful.

      i like it i kinda thought of a similar thing but i do think aangs is too similar i wanna brainstom more ideas 

        Loading editor
    • As much as I would like the Avatar series to continue, it's kind of difficult to imagine the future of the Avatar world without it becoming too much like our own. And I believe the dated-era of the world is what brings the series it's charm. And given the Avatar world took a huge leap in progress from Aang's early 19th century based world to Korra's mid 20th century like world in a matter of a century, it be likely Korra's next incarnation will perhaps end up a modern millenial. That kind of premise wouldn't appeal to me very much.

      If Nickelodeon calls for a new Avatar series, I imagine it going like this:

      A past Avatar

      If there will be another Avatar series, it will likely be about the youth of Master Kyoshi given all we know about her is the origin of Kyoshi Island and that she had big shoes. Plus while Kyoshi was not the Avatar after Korra, the element of Earth follows Water which fits the order of the show of Air, Water and Earth.

      I can imagine the story centering on her younger years, her friends, her struggles learning the elements all the way up to her conflict with Chin the Great and the founding of Kyoshi Island.

      The next Avatar

      However, if we're doing the Avatar after Korra then I imagine humanity will need a crutch on it's progress as a race in order to retain it's "old world charm". My guess it would be that humans have become too reliant on their co-existance with spirits as well as domestic use of spirit energy over fuel and electricity. This will probably take a few pages from Final Fantasy VII but perhaps humanity over-use of spirit energy causes a form of pollution in the Spirit World that will have negative impact on the Mortal World in the long run and they must inforce some sort of regulation and encourage more eco-awareness. An Avatar who carries an environmental awareness message would fit the fact they are an "Earthbender", one who understands the earth more than others.

      The Dark Avatar

      I would also like to see the Dark Avatar return. Way I see how Light in the Dark goes, Vaatu was not recovered after the death of UnaVatuu, in fact UnaVatuu gave off golden lights that does not mean the death of a spirit, Dark Spirits that have been calmed dissapate in such lights and Avatar Wan's last breath gave off the same spiritual light. Raava said that when one destroys the other, the other is respawned from within the victor and the conflict continues which makes Raava and Vaatu semi-immortal, eternal and cannot exist without the other. So even if murdering the Avatar in the Avatar State is a sure-fire way to end the Avatar Cycle, it's not confirmed if it will permanantly destroy Raava. (In fact, now that I think about it, how can anyone be sure if killing the Avatar during the Avatar state will end the Avatar Cycle if no one has killed any past Avatar to find out? It could be complete myth for all we know.)

      So it's possible that the Avatars after Korra will all have Dark Avatars to deal with.

        Loading editor
    • I see the next avatar born in zaofu

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      As much as I would like the Avatar series to continue, it's kind of difficult to imagine the future of the Avatar world without it becoming too much like our own. And I believe the dated-era of the world is what brings the series it's charm. And given the Avatar world took a huge leap in progress from Aang's early 19th century based world to Korra's mid 20th century like world in a matter of a century, it be likely Korra's next incarnation will perhaps end up a modern millenial. That kind of premise wouldn't appeal to me very much.

      If Nickelodeon calls for a new Avatar series, I imagine it going like this:

      A past Avatar

      If there will be another Avatar series, it will likely be about the youth of Master Kyoshi given all we know about her is the origin of Kyoshi Island and that she had big shoes. Plus while Kyoshi was not the Avatar after Korra, the element of Earth follows Water which fits the order of the show of Air, Water and Earth.

      I can imagine the story centering on her younger years, her friends, her struggles learning the elements all the way up to her conflict with Chin the Great and the founding of Kyoshi Island.

      The next Avatar

      However, if we're doing the Avatar after Korra then I imagine humanity will need a crutch on it's progress as a race in order to retain it's "old world charm". My guess it would be that humans have become too reliant on their co-existance with spirits as well as domestic use of spirit energy over fuel and electricity. This will probably take a few pages from Final Fantasy VII but perhaps humanity over-use of spirit energy causes a form of pollution in the Spirit World that will have negative impact on the Mortal World in the long run and they must inforce some sort of regulation and encourage more eco-awareness. An Avatar who carries an environmental awareness message would fit the fact they are an "Earthbender", one who understands the earth more than others.

      The Dark Avatar

      I would also like to see the Dark Avatar return. Way I see how Light in the Dark goes, Vaatu was not recovered after the death of UnaVatuu, in fact UnaVatuu gave off golden lights that does not mean the death of a spirit, Dark Spirits that have been calmed dissapate in such lights and Avatar Wan's last breath gave off the same spiritual light. Raava said that when one destroys the other, the other is respawned from within the victor and the conflict continues which makes Raava and Vaatu semi-immortal, eternal and cannot exist without the other. So even if murdering the Avatar in the Avatar State is a sure-fire way to end the Avatar Cycle, it's not confirmed if it will permanantly destroy Raava. (In fact, now that I think about it, how can anyone be sure if killing the Avatar during the Avatar state will end the Avatar Cycle if no one has killed any past Avatar to find out? It could be complete myth for all we know.)

      So it's possible that the Avatars after Korra will all have Dark Avatars to deal with.

      If they do the next Earth Avatar after Korra it's either going to be inspired in the late XX century, or early XXI.

      Maybe if fans are more demanding, a fourth Fire Avatar series could happen, and be inspired in the XXII (future).

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote:

      If they do the next Earth Avatar after Korra it's either going to be inspired in the late XX century, or early XXI.

      Maybe if fans are more demanding, a fourth Fire Avatar series could happen, and be inspired in the XXII (future).

      I don't really like the idea of the world of Avatar with modern themes. I imagine the next Avatar after Korra living in the swinging 60s or something and honestly I like the ancient and traditional themes established in Aangs period. Korra and the time period she lives in is honestly suprising given how rapidly progressive the people of the world are. One day they're sending messages by Messenger Hawk, the next Radio is invented. I guess it's because when the four nations come together and put their skills and gifts together they can progress much faster than our world of non-elemental benders.

      But still if we are going to have another installment to the Avatar series I much rather enjoy the old world than the world established in Korra.

      For example, why can't one of the past Avatars get their own TV series? Unlike Avatar Roku and Avatar Wan who each had episodes that explain their full live stories, we only know so much about Avatar Kyoshi from Kyoshi Island and the Dai Li. What about her own TV series be about her preteen years like Aang and her later books can be her teen years like Koora up to when she finally defeats Chin the Conquerer.

      Or how about the older, more obscure Avatars, like Kuruk, Yanchen or this guy? I bet that guy was first to discover lavabending! I bet his story would be interesting.

      The only idea I have for post-Korra Avatar would be lightning-bending power plants are obsolete in favour for spirit-vine power plants and thus Republic City is powered by Spirit Energy. However the new Avatar becomes aware that some form of pollution is happening in Spirit World and realises that the use of Spirit Energy is causing this pollution.

      Thats all I got for an idea. An Earthbender that listens to the Earth. I'm aware how rather FF7 it sounds but it's all I can think of.

        Loading editor
    • It wasn't one day, it was within a period of 70 years. People just don't really get how explosively technology has developed. We went from the Wright Brothers to the moon landing in just shy of 66 years. In fact, considering that, the Avatar world is actually noticeably behind us in that case, seeing as they have no space program to speak of even though they invented flying machines 70 years prior.

        Loading editor
    • I think the reason they don't have a space program is because progression is just whatever is conveniant for the story of the world. as much as I appreciated a sequal to Avatar: TLoA, you gotta admit the established world of TLoK was a mess.

      If they want a form of entertainment or news to listen to? The radio is invented.

      If they want a means of communication, the phone is invented.

      Need a weapon to make the Earth Empire feared? GIANT LASER-SHOOTING ROBOT!

      Yeah, makes total sense. And it's likely the humans on the world of Avatar will likely explore the depths of the Spirit World before turning their attention to the stars.

      Granted Fire Nation technology during Aang's era was also advance but was mosly reliant on firebending and simple machinery to function. Such as the tanks or the Fire Nation drill. But even this technology is reasonable compared to what they will have less than a century later.

      If Sato Industries can make non-bending powered mecha suits for both military and domestic use and the Earth Empire can make one giant robot during Avatar Worlds verison of 1920, then I imagine giant mecha's will be more common by a few short decades. Less than 70 years.

      All the more reason why I imagine after Korra's death and reincarnation as the next Avatar, the world will probably look like something from a modern Final Fantasy game. Or very least 60s steampunk/dieselpunk in theme.

        Loading editor
    • you gotta admit the established world of TLoK was a mess.

      No I don't. Progression generally either conforms to real world norms, like with cars, or in a way that makes sense given previous things in the series, as with most of the fantasy technology.

      If they want a form of entertainment or news to listen to? The radio is invented. If they want a means of communication, the phone is invented.

      These both existed around the 1920's & are more-or-less period accurate.

      Need a weapon to make the Earth Empire feared? GIANT LASER-SHOOTING ROBOT!

      The robot part is stupid, but yeah, the Spirit Cannon DOES make sense, given what was established about spirit energy. It's not really different from the incredibly implausible armored airships of the first series; while the show is history-inspired, it isn't historic, fundamentally it's still fantasy.

      Yeah, makes total sense. And it's likely the humans on the world of Avatar will likely explore the depths of the Spirit World before turning their attention to the stars.

      See, now you're getting how technology might progress differently in another world. I've been wondering this a lot myself.

      Granted Fire Nation technology during Aang's era was also advance but was mosly reliant on firebending and simple machinery to function. Such as the tanks or the Fire Nation drill. But even this technology is reasonable compared to what they will have less than a century later.

      Yeah, there's nothing simple about either of those machines.

      If Sato Industries can make non-bending powered mecha suits for both military and domestic use and the Earth Empire can make one giant robot during Avatar Worlds verison of 1920

      The originally Mecha Tanks aren't fundamentally unobtainable for 1920's technology, they're just a really dumb idea. They'd be clumsy, top heavy, basically all the flaws we saw in the show.

      then I imagine giant mecha's will be more common by a few short decades. Less than 70 years.

      You realize that technological progression doesn't make more resources to use, right?

      All the more reason why I imagine after Korra's death and reincarnation as the next Avatar, the world will probably look like something from a modern Final Fantasy game. Or very least 60s steampunk/dieselpunk in theme.

      Sounds pretty kickass.

        Loading editor
    • I am starting to like the idea of a diesel/steampunk themed Avatar-era.

      Whenever the sequal comics are regarded as canon or not (probably are) when Korra left this world no new Avatar took her place. However with the progression of the world such as race cars and what looks like Magitek Armour replacing tanks and mechas, the world seemed at peace and feel no real need for a new Avatar whos reputation is falling to myth.

      Story in mind can start off in Omashu which after it's surrender during the Fire Nation war and Metal Clan introducing new concepts of bending to the Earth Kingdom, Omashu is now a more revolutionised place. It still primarily a home for Earth Kingdom residents but a small population of residents are other-benders.

      An Earthbender who is around Korra's age and his friend, a waterbender who is practicing to be a doctor. The Earthbender is into some form of sport, such as racing satmobile, four-way Pro-Bending or some new form of sport that compliments his Earthbending style. He gets into an accident which severely hurts his friend, however discovers he is able to heal his friend with the same waterbending techniques he observed from his friend.

      After the incident, someone shows up at his place. Either a member of the White Lotus or one of Aang or Korra's decendants. They tell him they believe he is the Avatar but he doesn't believe it. This guy ends up as a mentor of sorts.

      Then his doctor friend gets kidnapped by the "bad guys" and given Firebenders (Fire Nation), Non-benders (Equalists), Waterbenders (Unalaq and SWT) Earthbenders (Earth Empire) Spirits (Unalaq and Dark Spirits) and Lotus (Red Lotus Clan) had their turn being baddies I guess that means it's the Airbenders turn to play baddies, though this could be caused by a pollution in the Spirit World which is caused by humans excessive use of Spirit Eenrgy.

      His waterbending friend could die early in the first book or very least severely injured which triggers our Earthbending hero his first Avatar State which his mentor snaps him out of.

      As for how the adventure unfolds, I dunno. I like the idea of this Avatar becoming aware of pollution in the spirit world and tried to encourage all of humanity to stop excessively using spirit energy. A sort of eco-message that reflects how we as people take for granted the resources around us and must be more aware of the pollution we leave behind etc.

        Loading editor
    • Also, despite the fact he was killed in his Avatar state, I do like the idea of Unalaq being reincarnated as a Dark Avatar (I imagine the reincarnation cycle is reversed from the Avatars reincarnation cycle. Water → Air  → Fire  → Earth) Thus being reborn into Air Normad society, he could be the one to encourage his group of Air Normads to take more aggressive means to make changes to the world.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      Also, despite the fact he was killed in his Avatar state, I do like the idea of Unalaq being reincarnated as a Dark Avatar (I imagine the reincarnation cycle is reversed from the Avatars reincarnation cycle. Water → Air  → Fire  → Earth) Thus being reborn into Air Normad society, he could be the one to encourage his group of Air Normads to take more aggressive means to make changes to the world.

      Except the reversed cycle, I agree.

        Loading editor
    • In response to the OP I had an idea: Earthbender is very spiritual and easygoing (having all the characteristics opposite of an earthbender). He/she is beleived to be a nonbender for the majority of his life until one day he airbends. 

        Loading editor
    • AirMasterParker wrote:
      Mystic Monkey wrote:
      Also, despite the fact he was killed in his Avatar state, I do like the idea of Unalaq being reincarnated as a Dark Avatar (I imagine the reincarnation cycle is reversed from the Avatars reincarnation cycle. Water → Air  → Fire  → Earth) Thus being reborn into Air Normad society, he could be the one to encourage his group of Air Normads to take more aggressive means to make changes to the world.
      Except the reversed cycle, I agree.

      Why not? The Dark Avatar is suppose to be the polar opposite to the regular Avatar so it make sense that the Dark Avatar cycle is reverse. Plus if Air Normads will take a turn being bad guys, being lead by the Dark Avatar would give it much more sense in why the most praceful and spiritual people in the world would take such actions if the Dark Avatar was born to Air Nomad culture.

      And if the Dark Avatar dies doesn't neccisarilly mean Team Avatar will plan to kill a new born a few days later. Though I imagine if Unalaq was reincarnated after his fight with Korra, that would make him middle-aged by the time the next Avatar is a teen. Unless Avatars can only be born onto the world roughly the same time. As in if one Avatar dies they won't reincarnate until the other dies, but that would mean the only time they share an origin would be Water Tribe which wouldn't be that fun.

        Loading editor
    • Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.

        Loading editor
    • Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.

      It's one of my concerns if it is ever decided if a sequal is made. I believe the Avatar series will be so different by then it be almost unrecognisable.

      All the more reason why I would like a prequal instead of a sequal. Or the very least technology and society is curbed so that it still be somewhat a recognisable series.

      The Legend of Zelda series for example do have a continuity, with each game taking place hundreds of years apart from one another (Like the Avatar, Link and Zelda reincarnate as hero and princess) but other than the ocassional magic-powered technology Hyrule is still kept primitive and sparce. Breath of the Wild has magic iPads, teleportation, shrines with advance mechanisms and motobikes (if thats canon) but guns were never invented despite bombs so everyone still uses swords.

      I think the logic behind this could be worlds that have magic will have slow progression in technology, which is perhaps a reoccuring trope in most shows with magic involved.

        Loading editor
    • Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.

      The reason why people didn't care about Korra is because they lived in a relatively peaceful era and therefore saw no use for her. I'm sure the same happened for Kuruk. In the hypothetical future of Avatar I would assume that the government would create laws on who is permitted to create those robot suits and who is not. 

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.
      It's one of my concerns if it is ever decided if a sequal is made. I believe the Avatar series will be so different by then it be almost unrecognisable.

      All the more reason why I would like a prequal instead of a sequal. Or the very least technology and society is curbed so that it still be somewhat a recognisable series.

      The Legend of Zelda series for example do have a continuity, with each game taking place hundreds of years apart from one another (Like the Avatar, Link and Zelda reincarnate as hero and princess) but other than the ocassional magic-powered technology Hyrule is still kept primitive and sparce. Breath of the Wild has magic iPads, teleportation, shrines with advance mechanisms and motobikes (if thats canon) but guns were never invented despite bombs so everyone still uses swords.

      I think the logic behind this could be worlds that have magic will have slow progression in technology, which is perhaps a reoccuring trope in most shows with magic involved.

      You hit another concern the technology leap. The technology in Korra alone was evolving to a point Korra and master benders could barely handle. The technology was still in an infantile stage. So I don't see how an avatar can handle another significant leap in time. If tech hits modern day level bending won't be enough. The series would definitely turn into something else.

      An avatar wouldn't logically be respected by the population at that point. Not unless he is some outgunned rebel leader against a fascist government regime.

        Loading editor
    • Kimathite wrote:
      Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.
      The reason why people didn't care about Korra is because they lived in a relatively peaceful era and therefore saw no use for her. I'm sure the same happened for Kuruk. In the hypothetical future of Avatar I would assume that the government would create laws on who is permitted to create those robot suits and who is not. 

      If the world evolves the way it has been going technology those suits will become trash and replaced by something stronger. The avatar that would be able to deal with the power struggles with weapons capable of instantly destroying cities and contintents would have to be a super saiyan lol.

        Loading editor
    • Ironbender wrote:
      Kimathite wrote:
      Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.
      The reason why people didn't care about Korra is because they lived in a relatively peaceful era and therefore saw no use for her. I'm sure the same happened for Kuruk. In the hypothetical future of Avatar I would assume that the government would create laws on who is permitted to create those robot suits and who is not. 
      If the world evolves the way it has been going technology those suits will become trash and replaced by something stronger. The avatar that would be able to deal with the power struggles with weapons capable of instantly destroying cities and contintents would have to be a super saiyan lol.

      Yeah but still at that point it be something different from what you began with.

      Ask yourself, would you say the idea of Aang fighting a giant robot seem like something you'd expect from Avatar?

      The Legend of Korra was still popular with Avatar fans but it also brought up critisms from them who found the show too different for their liking or how Korra was portrait (Korra was by far more of an Avatar prodigy than Aang himself was as well as the sort who threw tantrums whenever she never got her way)

      That said the era of Korra was a turning point during the world of the Avatar series. This is why fans like me may not be supportive of the idea of a continuing series because of how different it would be from what made it all appealing to begin with. I can imagine my idea for post-Korra Avatar "could" work, but I'm imaging a fairly modern Omashu and other familiar and nostalgic places to carry the series.

      Stil a fairly modern world where people can shoot elements from their hands, super-powered fights, magical technology and mecha ranging from domestic to giant robots, well you might as well be watching some other anime that already has all of that.

        Loading editor
    • But there aren't a lot of stories that do things like that. Most fantasy stories are still stuck in largely feudal, pre-industrial societies like, well, The Last Airbender. So I find it incredibly hard to swallow the notion that forever swimming in nostalgia is the way forward for the franchise or the genre.

      It's especially odd when people talk about more advanced settings as if they're somehow more limited than that kind of time stasis. I happen to think the idea you pitched was interesting, but it's also far from the only way it can turn out.

      The same goes for the worries people express, just because a lot of writers choose to go the "technology & magic are inversely related" route doesn't mean it has to work that way. Perhaps the escalating technology triggers some kind of new spiritualism movement, leading to the discovery of new bending subtypes, & a greater reliance on the Avatar being able to protect people & keep the peace in a world that now has its own Doomsday Clock.

      Though I do have to underline the point that I don't think these developments should be uncritical. Maintaining the Avatar as a savior figure shouldn't really be an end in & of itself, it should be saying something about the society depicted in the series.

        Loading editor
    • <divclass="quote">Mystic Monkey wrote:<divclass="quote">Ironbender wrote:<divclass="quote">Kimathite wrote:<divclass="quote">Ironbender wrote:
      Going past Korra and looking at the evolution of the avatar world Avatars will be practically vigilantes. No one is going to want to listen to them. The system of countries caring about avatars is slowly going extinct in Korra.So I can see the next avatar would be an entity completely against the system.</div>The reason why people didn't care about Korra is because they lived in a relatively peaceful era and therefore saw no use for her. I'm sure the same happened for Kuruk. In the hypothetical future of Avatar I would assume that the government would create laws on who is permitted to create those robot suits and who is not. </div>If the world evolves the way it has been going technology those suits will become trash and replaced by something stronger. The avatar that would be able to deal with the power struggles with weapons capable of instantly destroying cities and contintents would have to be a super saiyan lol.</div>Yeah but still at that point it be something different from what you began with.

      Ask yourself, would you say the idea of Aang fighting a giant robot seem like something you'd expect from Avatar?

      The Legend of Korra was still popular with Avatar fans but it also brought up critisms from them who found the show too different for their liking or how Korra was portrait (Korra was by far more of an Avatar prodigy than Aang himself was as well as the sort who threw tantrums whenever she never got her way)

      That said the era of Korra was a turning point during the world of the Avatar series. This is why fans like me may not be supportive of the idea of a continuing series because of how different it would be from what made it all appealing to begin with. I can imagine my idea for post-Korra Avatar "could" work, but I'm imaging a fairly modern Omashu and other familiar and nostalgic places to carry the series.

      Stil a fairly modern world where people can shoot elements from their hands, super-powered fights, magical technology and mecha ranging from domestic to giant robots, well you might as well be watching some other anime that already has all of that. </div> Avatar main attraction to me was the martial arts bending. When the story starts to use giant spirit monsters and giant robots it seems so out of place. It is once again why book 3 of korra is my favorite. It brings the story back to its roots and makes the bad guys extremely skilled benders. I don't mind tech like Asami gloves but when magical scifi canons get introduced it seems way too much. In order for the story to continue bending would need an upgrade. But like you say it will be just like an anime. Most shows who take it too far get a crazy amount of criticisms should also be noted lol. I mean its possible to continue into the future. Star wars does exist.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      But there aren't a lot of stories that do things like that. Most fantasy stories are still stuck in largely feudal, pre-industrial societies like, well, The Last Airbender. So I find it incredibly hard to swallow the notion that forever swimming in nostalgia is the way forward for the franchise or the genre.

      It's especially odd when people talk about more advanced settings as if they're somehow more limited than that kind of time stasis. I happen to think the idea you pitched was interesting, but it's also far from the only way it can turn out.

      The same goes for the worries people express, just because a lot of writers choose to go the "technology & magic are inversely related" route doesn't mean it has to work that way. Perhaps the escalating technology triggers some kind of new spiritualism movement, leading to the discovery of new bending subtypes, & a greater reliance on the Avatar being able to protect people & keep the peace in a world that now has its own Doomsday Clock.

      Though I do have to underline the point that I don't think these developments should be uncritical. Maintaining the Avatar as a savior figure shouldn't really be an end in & of itself, it should be saying something about the society depicted in the series.

      The more the series progresses the more rediculous they often times the show becomes. Power escalation ruins the quality of a lot of anime for instance. Prequels can reset the power requirements without any fuss. The avatar would have to be fighting in the avatar mode constantly like a super saiyan to realistically handle anything stronger than Kuvira mecha suits. 

        Loading editor
    • Ironbender wrote:
      Neo Bahamut wrote:
      But there aren't a lot of stories that do things like that. Most fantasy stories are still stuck in largely feudal, pre-industrial societies like, well, The Last Airbender. So I find it incredibly hard to swallow the notion that forever swimming in nostalgia is the way forward for the franchise or the genre.

      It's especially odd when people talk about more advanced settings as if they're somehow more limited than that kind of time stasis. I happen to think the idea you pitched was interesting, but it's also far from the only way it can turn out.

      The same goes for the worries people express, just because a lot of writers choose to go the "technology & magic are inversely related" route doesn't mean it has to work that way. Perhaps the escalating technology triggers some kind of new spiritualism movement, leading to the discovery of new bending subtypes, & a greater reliance on the Avatar being able to protect people & keep the peace in a world that now has its own Doomsday Clock.

      Though I do have to underline the point that I don't think these developments should be uncritical. Maintaining the Avatar as a savior figure shouldn't really be an end in & of itself, it should be saying something about the society depicted in the series.

      The more the series progresses the more rediculous they often times the show becomes. Power escalation ruins the quality of a lot of anime for instance. Prequels can reset the power requirements without any fuss. The avatar would have to be fighting in the avatar mode constantly like a super saiyan to realistically handle anything stronger than Kuvira mecha suits. 

       

      Watch this YouTube video by Gigguk. It's twelve minutes long, but it's pretty accurate. [1] One interesting point here is how LoK stablished the power cieling with Book Two and how Books Three and Four, instead of using more powerful villains than Amon or UnaVaatu, they use different types of villains, not just with less power, but with a different approach of abilities that Korra didn't face before.

        Loading editor
    • I have issues with that video, but it's sort of irrelevant because firstly power ups have nothing to do with the point I was making, & secondly technological progression isn't an anime power. It's not like 20 years in the future there's going to be an army of Super Colossus 2's stomping around, that isn't how it works. Technological advancement was only part of what made the Colossus possible, it was also because the largest nation in the world had its resources put to that one project, including a huge & convenient source of mined platinum for the outer shell.

      Future villains won't just make weapons generically stronger than the Colossus, they'll have completely different plans, depending on their context. But it is worth noting, per one of Gigguk's points, that the Colossus wasn't actually beaten by being overpowered, but through tactics & targeting its weak points.

        Loading editor
    • Anyways. just wanted to leave this video in case there was some misunderstanding.

      (Btw, I'm subscribed to Gigguk, he's actually funny, gives constructive criticism, and considers Avatar an anime, which I agree)

        Loading editor
    • My issues aren't so much with him or his overall points. Well, with the exception that I don't like how he implies the "end goal" is required. The truth is, while this plot device is near-ubiquitous in shonen manga, it's much more understated outside of it.

        Loading editor
    • What is there were to be a break in the cycle, like a fire bender avatar first, and then all of the sudden, a water bender avatar?

        Loading editor
      • if
        Loading editor
    • Dunno if it works like that Silver.

      Avatar: The Last Airbender established some rules and lore and The Legend of Korra changed them around a bit. (I thought two fishes were the yin of yang of things, but I guess I was wrong.)

      But I think the order of where the Avatar is reincarnated is strict and that it represents the seasons.

      It does make me wonder what would happen if the HArmonic Convergence never happened by the time of the next airbending Avatar, I guess they would either be a direct decendant of Aang or one of the Air Acolytes would be born the Avatar.

      To this day I always thought it was kind of a raw deal most of the Air acolytes never got to become airbenders. Oh yeah, just the one, Otaku.

      I would of had Korra energybend or a lion turtle go around promoting Air Acolytes into Airbenders.

        Loading editor
    • They mention in the artbook that they used Otaku to show that there were some Air Acolytes who got airbending, implying there are more than just him.

        Loading editor
    • It's nice to know other acolytes became airbenders but still the acolytes continued the traditions of the air normads. While the acolytes were not in it for the perks or for any reward it be nice if the acolytes got the bulk of the harmonic deal.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      It's nice to know other acolytes became airbenders but still the acolytes continued the traditions of the air normads. While the acolytes were not in it for the perks or for any reward it be nice if the acolytes got the bulk of the harmonic deal.

      Maybe in the future, more airbenders will pop up from acolytes themselves, and there would be a point where the Air Nation is fully restored.

        Loading editor
    • That would be nice.

      On a side now, what would the Avatar fandom think of a villain who is an airbender? And I know we technically we already had one but I mean someone who was born an airbender, especially into Acolyte society and decided to make changes that the world may not agree with?

      The Earth Kingdom had Chu the Conquerer, The Fire Natio had Ozai, Water Tribe had Noatak and Unalaq and due to lack f airbenders, skipped to Kuvira.

      This is why I like the idea of the "Dark Avatar" returning as well as having a reversed reincarnation cycle. Unalaq was a waterbender and in the Avatar Cycle air is before the water. So I can imagine the Dark Avatar, with his own tattoos, convincing fellow Airbenders that the impurities of the world must be blown away or something. And that given the next Avatar was born in the Earth Nation may struggle to understand and symphasize with the Dark Avatar the same way Aang had difficulty learning Earthbending to begin with.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:
      That would be nice.

      On a side now, what would the Avatar fandom think of a villain who is an airbender? And I know we technically we already had one but I mean someone who was born an airbender, especially into Acolyte society and decided to make changes that the world may not agree with?

      Like this?

        Loading editor
    • I was thinking more of a grown up, evil version of Aang. Not a mirror version, just a version an Airbender who embraced being the Avatar, prefered to work alone, not afraid to kill etc.

        Loading editor
    • Mystic Monkey wrote:

      It's one of my concerns if it is ever decided if a sequal is made. I believe the Avatar series will be so different by then it be almost unrecognisable.

      All the more reason why I would like a prequal instead of a sequal. Or the very least technology and society is curbed so that it still be somewhat a recognisable series.

      So true. The gripe I had with Legend of Korra itself was that the technological jump was so far out from the original ATLA world. Imagine what it would be like for Korra's successor. 

        Loading editor
    • Maria Lily wrote:
      Mystic Monkey wrote:

      It's one of my concerns if it is ever decided if a sequal is made. I believe the Avatar series will be so different by then it be almost unrecognisable.

      All the more reason why I would like a prequal instead of a sequal. Or the very least technology and society is curbed so that it still be somewhat a recognisable series.

      So true. The gripe I had with Legend of Korra itself was that the technological jump was so far out from the original ATLA world. Imagine what it would be like for Korra's successor. 

      I've been trying to do so myself. I imagine it a lot like Final Fantasy VII. Both in cyberpunk mixed with steampunk elements and a story about the consequences of too-good-to-be-true industrial power.

      While Varrick refused to weaponise spirit energy, after the Earth Empire War he was quick to monopolise on Spirit Energy by forming a partnership with Future Industries to capatalise on "Spirit Power", a new, supposidly clean and conveniant source of energy provided from Reactors that quickly replace lightning Power Plants to the point of powering all of UPN and neighbouring Earth Kingdom places. And with the forests in the poles, Foggy Swamp in the Earth Kingdom and other highly spiritual places that started growing spirit vines, additional Reactors were built across the four nations to provide Spirit Power to all.

      I can imagine the next Avatar being born in Omashu and after his first ever visit to Republic City starts to become more aware that the excessive use of Spirit Power is causing some form of pollution in the Spirit World.

      Of couse this is becoming more fanficcy and ripping off of Final Fantasy VII than original, but I can imasgine it like that. WHo better to teach an evironmental awareness message to take better care of the planet than an Avatar who was born Earth Kingdom?

        Loading editor
    • I've been picturing a bit of FF7 myself. Mostly with the increasing technology combined with largely medieval military & social structures &, like you said, spirit technology posing environmental issues. Not so much with the global conglomerate, though.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      I've been picturing a bit of FF7 myself. Mostly with the increasing technology combined with largely medieval military & social structures &, like you said, spirit technology posing environmental issues. Not so much with the global conglomerate, though.

      It's possible that Varrik+Future may provide reactors to subsidiaries across the world but given Avatar World consist of four continents (our world has seven) it's probably possible for a conglomerate to happen for a some what smaller scale planet. Especially given Varrick Global Industries in an international corporation.

      What I like about the idea is Asami Sato (Future Industries) and and Varrick (Varrick Global Industries) have been such good friends to Korra that by her next life the very industries will be a main antagonist to his or her life.

      The "Sephiroth" of the story could be that after Unalaq's death the Dark Avatar cycle was not broken and instead allowed Unalaq to be reborn as a decendant of Tenzin (I can't remember how long it takes for the Avatar to be reborn so this maybe unlikely, but preferably a pre-age Airbender than post-Harmony one). The new Dark Avatar perhaps aware of the spirit pollution and believe the answer is for Air Nomads to cleanse the world through conquering... OK sounds kinda OOC for Air Nomads, they're just too cinnamon rolls for it but the Dark Avatar being an Air Normad would counter the fact the new Avatar being from Earth Nation.

        Loading editor
    • how about an avatar that is earth kingdom and water tribe who had proficiency with earth bending but poop at water bending but was unknown to be an avatar until he fire bended

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message