FANDOM


  • My thoughts this episode

    1. Korra is back! But, will she be ready for what's coming?

    2. Meelo is so cute and funny

    3. Hmmm, the leftover metal wasn't that much

    4. So, Kuvira's already established posts all over the kingdom? What's with the cutdown trees?

    5. Kuvira is on her way to Zaofu......

    So, what were your thoughts?

      Loading editor
    • Cutdown trees, possibly to make it as people would need to cross open space, so people in the post can't be taken by suprise. Otherwise Im not sure. Also I loved the episode as a whole.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, the leftover metal wasn't much, but she wasn't THAT weak, right?

        Loading editor
    • Meelo had a few too many lines, but we got to see Ikki do something! I do wonder why Jinora just didn't try and talk with the spirits herself or why Ikki just didn't actually ask a few.

      Underwhelming is the best way I can sum up the episode. Not that it's bad, but it isn't nearly as well crafted or entertaining as the previous episodes. Plus, did we need a vomit scene with the Lemur eating it's own retch?

      1. 3: I'm more surprised they resolved that problem so quickly. All Korra needed was a blunt speech to overcome the problems of the past? I didn't really get the sense that the character resolved that problem. Maybe she still hasn't gotten rid of all of her inner fears though?
      1. 4: Didn't the soldier say Kuvira took all of other soldiers with her? Does Kuvira expect that no one will even attempt to enter the EN or would they be pinned down by indecision? The two poor dudes also seemed to be stationed in some remote area too.
        Loading editor
    • Yeah, underwhelming is the word. I kind of like the fact that the episode was centered on the siblings and was a nice callback to TLA, but as mentioned, Meelo was funny and all but had a few too many lines, it was a nice way to develop the two "less important" siblings but I would have prefered more Jinora. It still makes sense that she couldn't sense Korra, her Raava energy being cut off at that time. Overall Jinora has been noticably absent from these first episodes, often being present with the rest of her family but never ushering a word, whereas Ikki and Meelo had lines almost every time they appeared, and that's kind of bugging me after 3 seasons of her growing as a major character. I certainly hope this changes with the rest of the season.

      Aside from that, I would still be fine with the episode if it didn't make Toph overall useless. It was important that Korra be the one to remove the metal, but that reduced Toph's impact to almost zero. All this arc would probably have had more impact if Korra eventually found a way to detect the metal by herself too as that would've meant she actually became more powerful. Now that all the metal's gone, I wasn't left with the feeling that Korra became stronger from this ordeal, since she simply had someone telling her what her problem was and nothing more. I sure am hoping that this isn't the last of Toph, or I would almost regret her being in there in the first place.

      On the note that there wasn't much metal left in Korra, well I SURE HOPE SO. Undermining Lin and Suyin was kind of a low blow from Toph, but at least Su isn't THAT bad.

        Loading editor
    • When Toph was talking about Korra's past enemies and their goals, it kinda reminded me of "freedom, equality, brotherhood"...

        Loading editor
    • No fight scenes in this episode? so bad...

        Loading editor
    • I loved the flashback scenes and Toph's explanations of Korra's previous enemies. Makes me hope that when Korra defeats Kuvira who is implied to be out of balance (prison camps, etc), she'll still try to further Kuvira's moral goals of technology/innovation/stability over royalty. 

        Loading editor
    • The kids, mainly Ikki, were enjoyable but Meelo had too many lines imo. 

      I find it hard to believe that removing the poison would have such an instant effect on Korra's Avatar-block. But whatever. 

        Loading editor
    • Avatarlocochon wrote: No fight scenes in this episode? so bad...

      Well, the closest thing that we got to a fight scene was Jinora and Meelo knocking out those Earth Empire soldiers, but otherwise, yeah.

        Loading editor
    • FATE HAS INTERVENED wrote: The kids, mainly Ikki, were enjoyable but Meelo had too many lines imo. 

      I find it hard to believe that removing the poison would have such an instant effect on Korra's Avatar-block. But whatever. 

      Well, we don't really know if Korra has completely gotten over her bending impairments and her PTSD, and I doubt it, considering what we see of Korra in the trailer and the fact that it takes Korra a whole season to defeat Kuvira (there will undoubtedly be other factors, but still). Overcoming her fear in order to remove the mercury residue and unlock the Avatar State was the first step, but I'm pretty sure that she still has a long way to go.

        Loading editor
    • Am I the only one who finds Meelo really annoying? He's not funny anymore...

      Although I liked that scene with the girl.

        Loading editor
    • You'd think she'd try out some bending before heading out. Being so early in the book, I don't expect Korra to win her first bout. I do wonder how much pain Kuvira will inflict.

      People, we don't need fight scenes in every episode! I'd rather have meaningful development and resolution than just fight scenes to mask those deficiencies.

        Loading editor
    • The best thing about this episode is Korra managing to recover.

      I hope she'll be up to snuff the minute she comes face to face with Kuvira.

      As for Toph, it would've been real funny if she had come and met Zuko and Katara for the first time since the first Avatar series. I can imagine the banters between her and Katara.

      Hope the upcoming episodes are as good as this one.

        Loading editor
    • I was kind of hoping Toph would join the gang on the trip to zafu.  Suyin in a mecha tank and along comes a little old blind lady ripping the tanks apart to get her daughter back.

      Though I think I did just put another piece together.  Kuvira is also Red Lotus.  or at least she strongly identifies with their principals.  So far we have Freedom, Equality, and Spirital connections.  Kuvira is uniting the Earth kingdom (so far) without a king or queen.  The real question is will she create a new throne(ala phoniex king) or will she create a new government of the people?

        Loading editor
    • Omashu has fallen!

        Loading editor
    • FATE HAS INTERVENED wrote:
      The kids, mainly Ikki, were enjoyable but Meelo had too many lines imo. 

      I find it hard to believe that removing the poison would have such an instant effect on Korra's Avatar-block. But whatever. 

      Only 12 episodes.

        Loading editor
    • I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Toph!

        Loading editor
    • This episode felt disappointing and a bit rushed. I mean I like Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo, but they got way more screentime than Korra and Toph did. Also, I didn't quite understand what the big deal was with the Banyan Grove Tree. Yes, I know it helped her reconnect with the kids, but it felt like some cheap throwaway prop.

      Anyway, I'm glad to see Korra back in action– though I'm not positive she's recovered emotionally– and I can't wait to see her showdown with her evil twin, Kuvira, next episode.

      Personally, I think it would be cool if Kuvira still senses mercury inside Korra's body and tries to rip it out.

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles wrote:
      I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Toph!

      I hope not. I think they would have made it a bigger deal if it was. Also, I thought that Korra was going to visit Zaheer in prison to help with her recovery, and after this episode where Toph told that in order to face her new enemies, she has to get over her old ones and confront her fears, my belief is even stronger. I can't wait until they get to Zaofu! It will be epic. And yes, Meelo did have too many lines. Overall, the episode was kind of boring and a dissapointment. The entire seaosn so far has been really slow. I undertsand that their trying to go deeper into the characters, but I'd like to see some action soon. I hope it's as good as last season...

        Loading editor
    • Im so proud of Korra :) so is she a pro at metalbending now? Same level as Su/Lin? 

        Loading editor
    • I know what Korra's whole problem was: she was too used to winning, but she never learns anything from winning.  Korra's resulting fight from Zaheer was hard, and she had to choose between letting that loss define her forever, or learning from it. Over three years, Korra just kept beating herself up over it, and what Korra needed to do was forgive herself. Korra doesn't realize beating herself up is just doing Kuvira a favor and everyone else she goes up against.

      Personally though, I think it would've been more interesting if she began to speak with a projection of her past self from three years ago while iin the process of trying to remove the poison, then this exchange would occur:

      Past Korra: Did you learn from this loss?

      Korra: Yeah, that losing bites.  

      Past Korra: Oh.

      Korra: Look, I don't think there was any big takeaway from our big failures back then

      Past Korra; Guess you're still mad at me, huh?

      Korra: No, I'm mad at...You know what?  Maybe I do need to forgive you--myself.  

      Past Korra: You do?

      Korra: Yeah, we're not failures.  Beating ourselves up is just doing a favor for Kuvira and everyone else we go up against.  So from now on, let's save the beatdown for the bad guys.  Deal?  (Korra holds hands with her past self, and then the avatar state activates in both of them.  The scene cuts to the present, where all the mercury is removed.)

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles wrote:
      I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll see of Toph!

      Based on the live chat that took place with Mike and Bryan on yesterday,  we should finally know who Suyin's and Lin's father(s) are. So no, we aren't done with Toph yet.

        Loading editor
    • Torresp wrote:
      I know what Korra's whole problem was: she was too used to winning, but she never learns anything from winning.  Korra's resulting fight from Zaheer was hard, and she had to choose between letting that loss define her forever, or learning from it. Over three years, Korra just kept beating herself up over it, and what Korra needed to do was forgive herself. Korra doesn't realize beating herself up is just doing Kuvira a favor and everyone else she goes up against.

      Personally though, I think it would've been more interesting if she began to speak with a projection of her past self from three years ago while iin the process of trying to remove the poison, then this exchange would occur:

      Past Korra: Did you learn from this loss?

      Korra: Yeah, that losing bites.  

      Past Korra: Oh.

      Korra: Look, I don't think there was any big takeaway from our big failures back then

      Past Korra; Guess you're still mad at me, huh?

      Korra: No, I'm mad at...You know what?  Maybe I do need to forgive you--myself.  

      Past Korra: You do?

      Korra: Yeah, we're not failures.  Beating ourselves up is just doing a favor for Kuvira and everyone else we go up against.  So from now on, let's save the beatdown for the bad guys.  Deal?  (Korra holds hands with her past self, and then the avatar state activates in both of them.  The scene cuts to the present, where all the mercury is removed.)

      I like your take on this; I really do. Sadly, I don't think we are going to see the apparition of Avatar Korra again.

        Loading editor
    • It was a pretty good episode, though I felt a little dissappointed after watching it. I had thought the whole Toph and Korra encounter would have resulted in both of them helping each other; Toph helping Korra remove the metal and Korra questioning why Toph ran away in the first place, and perhaps convinving her to stop living in the swamp away from everyone else. I also find it a little odd that Toph didn't ask Korra or the airbender kids to keep her location a secret, given that she wanted to remain undisturbed. 

      I also found Ikki's character development really rushed, and kinda unneccessary. We've already seen her feeling left out in book two when she ran away at the air temple. What I would have loved to see is perhaps Meelo and Jinora get captured, and then Ikki having to step up and save them. She would get the same amount of screentime, though we would get to see her airbending skills. 

      Yeah, so overall not a bad episode, though I'm hoping next week's will be better (and given that we now know Kuvira is going to Zaofu and in the trailer Korra is fighting her in EK clothes, I think all those fight scenes from the trailer are happening next week:D )

        Loading editor
    • KorraFanatic wrote:
      Torresp wrote:
      I know what Korra's whole problem was: she was too used to winning, but she never learns anything from winning.  Korra's resulting fight from Zaheer was hard, and she had to choose between letting that loss define her forever, or learning from it. Over three years, Korra just kept beating herself up over it, and what Korra needed to do was forgive herself. Korra doesn't realize beating herself up is just doing Kuvira a favor and everyone else she goes up against.

      Personally though, I think it would've been more interesting if she began to speak with a projection of her past self from three years ago while iin the process of trying to remove the poison, then this exchange would occur:

      Past Korra: Did you learn from this loss?

      Korra: Yeah, that losing bites.  

      Past Korra: Oh.

      Korra: Look, I don't think there was any big takeaway from our big failures back then

      Past Korra; Guess you're still mad at me, huh?

      Korra: No, I'm mad at...You know what?  Maybe I do need to forgive you--myself.  

      Past Korra: You do?

      Korra: Yeah, we're not failures.  Beating ourselves up is just doing a favor for Kuvira and everyone else we go up against.  So from now on, let's save the beatdown for the bad guys.  Deal?  (Korra holds hands with her past self, and then the avatar state activates in both of them.  The scene cuts to the present, where all the mercury is removed.)

      I like your take on this; I really do. Sadly, I don't think we are going to see the apparition of Avatar Korra again.

      Yeah, but would you agree with me that what Korra really needed to do was forgive herself?

        Loading editor
    • I do, but I also think it's more complex than that. Forgiving herself for not always winning and not being strong helps to alleviate the shame and guilt of not living up to her own standards of being the Avatar. But I also think that Korra also suffers PTSD because of all the traumatic experiences she's been through. Her depression and flashbacks are proof enough of that.

      At the beginning of the series she was proud and haughty at being the Avatar, which gradually faded after she repeatedly found herself the target of a madman's revolution scheme. Constantly risking your life (and the lives of others) is no fun. And I imagine that she began to fear her responsibilities because she didn't want to be pushed to the brink of death again.

        Loading editor
    • Bah, I liked the episode. Aside from Meelo being annoying, Ikki's chat with the outpost troops was adorable & hilarious & this episode also answered something that I was wondering about:

      Unalaq also came really close to killing Korra, so why didn't THAT give her PTSD?

      And now I see that the mercury-induced hallucinations were the catalyst. Though there was actually MORE than I had expected, since I don't think it takes a lot to mess you up.

        Loading editor
    • Bomochu wrote: I also find it a little odd that Toph didn't ask Korra or the airbender kids to keep her location a secret, given that she wanted to remain undisturbed. 

      How do you know that she didn't do so off-screen? I also found it odd that Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo didn't comment on that goofy picture of their Grandpa Aang while they were at that fishmonger's store, but then I figured that they might have done so off-screen.

        Loading editor
    • Ikki was cunning with those Imperial Earth soldiers, at first she seemed helpless, yet she turned the tables on them (Lima syndrome anyone?) and basically finished the siblings' quest even if Meelo lost "the love of [his] life". Anyways not the best, but very good.

        Loading editor
    • Well, Korra does have the benefit of being a cartoon character which helps to shield her from real world consequences. As you mentioned, it doesn't take much to mess people up.

        Loading editor
    • That amount of liquid metal ((a metal which is liquid at ambient temperature) she removed on this episode) is more than enough to kill a human being. By removing it, anyone would be and feel very better, instantly.

        Loading editor
    • Cari1994 wrote:
      How do you know that she didn't do so off-screen? I also found it odd that Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo didn't comment on that goofy picture of their Grandpa Aang while they were at that fishmonger's store, but then I figured that they might have done so off-screen.

      Well, as viewers we kinda want it to be on-screen. I mean, what if they did that with a major plot point? like perhaps we see Kuvira laying on the ground somewhere in the final episode and we just have to 'figure' that Korra defeated her? Over-exaggerated example, I know, but can you see where I'm coming from? We shouldn't have to guess what characters do off-screen, especially when their actions on-screen contradict with previous statements (i.e., Toph not telling the others to keep her location a secret when she wanted to stay hidden). 

      Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Korra and where this series is heading. Just when there are plot holes in any kind of story, major or not, it can sometimes cause the audience to be pulled back to reality rather than be lost in the world the writers have created. 

        Loading editor
    • Also, who else is really happy that Ikki has a pet now? Wasn't that suger glider/flying squirrel whatever it is so cool :D

        Loading editor
    • For those of you who are "underwhelemed" by the lack of fight scenes in this season are completely oblivious to the amazing amount of character development and meaningful scenes in these episodes. They want to focus a lot on character development and personally, I think character development is MUCH more important than fight scenes. If you want a show that has action but no meaning whatsoever, go watch Naruto. 

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:

      3. Hmmm, the leftover metal wasn't that much

      Okay then, why don't you try injecting a few beads of liquid mercury into your body and prove yourself still fully up and running?

      I never expected the leftover mercury still inside of Korra to be that much because:

      1.) She may have been rendered unable to walk for half a year and her fighting skills severly reduced but she was still alive. I was actually surprised that even a trace of liquid mercury left inside your system wouldn't kill you but if not, then it is obviously a very small and minuscle amount.

      2.) Su, an exceptionally skilled metalbending master and teacher, was not able to sense the amount of mercury that she neglected to remove. I'm pretty sure that the residue that Su couldn't trace would not be at a large amount.

        Loading editor
    • I found Meelo fairly grating, to be quite honest.  Then again, I've never been all that fond of him; and the level in jerk that he seems to have taken just exacerbates it.

      And I really hope that getting the last of the mercury out and getting snapped at isn't the be-all and end-all of Korra's recovery.  That would be just...facepalmingly condescending.

        Loading editor
    • That writer, Michelle K?, just really seemed to like Meelo? He does do abit too much in that episode and a number of people really feel the same way. Maybe if they took about half his lines and spilt them between Ikki and Jinora (she really needed to do more than just that little bit at the end).

      Why do people think it's just plain mercury? A pure metal even in liquid form would still be extremely difficult, if not pratically impossible, for a metalbender to bend. It's most likely some diluded metal poison so metal benders could actually get into Korra the way they did.

        Loading editor
    • Thing is, poisonous mercury compounds are still pretty poisonous. Or even MORE poisonous in the case of mercuric arsenic. But I get that they exaggerated the amount so that we could actually see what's going on, & I'm fine with this being the possible end of Korra's recovery. It's not like we didn't see her recovery over a period of 3 years, which is more than like 99.9% of shows would, well, show.

        Loading editor
    • KorraFanatic wrote:
      I do, but I also think it's more complex than that. Forgiving herself for not always winning and not being strong helps to alleviate the shame and guilt of not living up to her own standards of being the Avatar. But I also think that Korra also suffers PTSD because of all the traumatic experiences she's been through. Her depression and flashbacks are proof enough of that.

      At the beginning of the series she was proud and haughty at being the Avatar, which gradually faded after she repeatedly found herself the target of a madman's revolution scheme. Constantly risking your life (and the lives of others) is no fun. And I imagine that she began to fear her responsibilities because she didn't want to be pushed to the brink of death again.

      Like I said though, she was so used to winning, but she doesn't learn anything from winning.  When she loses, she does not want to talk about it, but does not forgive herself for her big fails.  She could either let her big loss define her for the rest of her life, or she can learn from it. 

      If you watch Ben 10: Omniverse, Ben essentially went through the same thing after he lost Feedback and became traumatized by the loss.  After this, he never wanted to talk about it again, and when he went home.  Once Malware came back to his life, Ben wanted to finish him once and for all because of what Malware put him through.  Then later on, Ben talked with his 11 year old self and realized that he needed to learn to forgive himself and stop beating himself up.  I believe these two scenes from Ben 10: Omniverse parallel what Korra went through from three years ago, from being traumatized by Zaheer, up to learning to this episode:

      http://youtu.be/bRi25I3C4wY?t=2m5s

      http://youtu.be/guOdN0sjTzY

      That's essentially what Korra did--all she did was beat herself up.  And by learning to forgive herself, she could remove the poison and regain the Avatar State. I'd like to hear thoughts on whether these two scenes parallel what Korra went through over the past few years.   Korra getting the Avatar State back is like Feedback returning, because they both symbolize that the main character has forgiven themselves.    

        Loading editor
    • I actually found the episode extremely deep and it had a lot of mature themes in it. Especially the part where she finds the kids I was almost crying and of course the ending was great it had a lot to do with overcoming fear for the sake of survival. Which connected with the first chakra. Ironically aangs final chakra was the one he struggled with while Korras first chakra gave her the most trouble to open. Toph had a great line about losing connections with those you love and instead connected with your enemies. The only thing I may have done differently was switch the kids with Tenzin, I think it would be even more emotional if korra reunited with Tenzin first being that the two have really bonded over the show.

        Loading editor
    • I think it could have been deeper if Korra finished Toph's little speech. Why? Well, it would mean Korra is actually starting to think to herself (i.e. learning) about these events of her life rather than constantly being told.

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote:
      I think it could have been deeper if Korra finished Toph's little speech. Why? Well, it would mean Korra is actually starting to think to herself (i.e. learning) about these events of her life rather than constantly being told.

      Or, I think it would've been deeper if we saw what went on in Korra's mind where she talks to her past self, and realizes that she needs to learn to forgive herself for her failures as well as learn from it.  I picture such a scene like this one:

      http://youtu.be/guOdN0sjTzY

      apparently, Ben went through the same thing as korra--both were traumatized by a loss, and learned to forgive themselves.

        Loading editor
    • She doesn't really need to talk to herself, as there's that Avatar-state version of herself to use. Just the simple idea that she's actively learning through her own dialogue, rather than being told, it the most important part. We'll see what happens in the next episode to see if she's fully recovered or if there's another step she needs to take.

        Loading editor
    • Is it just me or does korra look a lot like wan with the shorter hair arm tape, sash and scarf

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote: She doesn't really need to talk to herself, as there's that Avatar-state version of herself to use. Just the simple idea that she's actively learning through her own dialogue, rather than being told, it the most important part. We'll see what happens in the next episode to see if she's fully recovered or if there's another step she needs to take.

      So, would you agree that it would be a lot more meaningful if she talked with her past self? Her past self is the one who was guilt-ridden and in the end, present Korra would agree to forgive her present and past self.

        Loading editor
    • Or something similar to the Shadows in Persona 4: the idea of confront hidden or secluded feelings. Fear, in this case, would be the biggest problem. Adding in the idea that she finally understood the last three bosses and you've got something. The idea of her talking to that Avatar state-self can also be shown as Korra also talking to the audience. 

        Loading editor
    • I miss that version of Korra.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message