FANDOM


  • For Me, it has to be Ming-Hua by a land slide. She was suspended over an ACTIVE volcano with scorching hot temperatures, and for 13 YEARS. That is hell. Though, I got to admit, P'Li's prison was pretty horrible too.

      Loading editor
    • I think huge a mounts of heat from Min-Hua prison and she had to be fed and taken care since she has no arms nor water to bend.

        Loading editor
    • IMO it's P'Li. Unbearably cold, probably a living hell (badum ts) for a firebender.

        Loading editor
    • Even for a normal person, P'Li's prison would either make me insane in less than a month or die of hypothermia.

        Loading editor
    • Ima go with Aiwei

      Everyone else could day dream, Aiwei can only "Day Nightmare" in the Fog of Lost Souls

        Loading editor
    • Unless one counts Aiwei's eventual fate?  Ming-Hua, followed closely by P'Li.  (Keep in mind that Ming-Hua was probably kept right at the edge of life-threatening dehydration; and P'Li probably would have died if she hadn't been a firebender.)

        Loading editor
    • 1. P'li

      2. Ming-Hua

      3. Zaheer

      4. Ghazan

        Loading editor
    • Maby Ghazan had the wors Prison, Remamber how he decided he'd rather die then go back.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but that's becuase it was really boring.

        Loading editor
    • I think Zaheer had the best prison. Then Ghazan second best. Then P'li. Lastly Ming-Hua. Zaheer's was the best because it probably had a cool breeze going. Then again it had to have been incredibly boring. For Ghazan, being trapped in a wooden box had to be terrible. I mean think about it. Splinters every other second. The heat that he wood kept insulated. P'li's prison was freezing, and she had been chained like a crazy person because of her third eye. I couldn't bear Ming-Hua's. I mean give her a break. She's armless. Just chain her so she can't do enough good bending movement. But get her out of the volcano.

        Loading editor
    • Ming Hua had the worst. Even worse than Hama in the Fire Nation concentration camp.

      Of course at the time Hama didn't deserve imprisonment. . .

        Loading editor
    • Ghazan I say definitely had the easiest out of them. While extremely boring, at least he always can observe the guards and look out at the sea and sky.

      Zaheer takes second easiest due to his prison being shut off and most likely being pitch black or at least relatively dark for extensive periods of time. Unlike Ghazan's he does not get any sort of view besides when the guards open the metal door.

      Ming-Hua for second worst, the volcanic conditions are quite dreadful. Most likely was given water in smaller portions overtime. Keeping this from being the worst, she at least gets complete visual of her surroundings and is surveyed by numerous guards in a more open air environment to at least let her imagination wonder.

      P'li I say is the worst since the conditions are quite harsh. Is in a closed off area and her area of vision is restricted to only forward compared to Ghazan and Ming-Hua's. Unlike the other 3 due to her combustion nature she's also chained up as the others were at least free to rome their cells.

        Loading editor
    • pli is the worst by far

        Loading editor
    • Ming-Hua definitely.

        Loading editor
    • Neilandio wrote:
      Ming-Hua definitely.

      I'd say P'Li was a very close second, if not tied. 

      Sure, the woman was 6'8" of walking artillery; the White Lotus wouldn't want to take any chances.  Still, they had her in underground, in chains, and in conditions that I'm guessing would have rather quickly killed outright anyone who wasn't a firebender.  (A day in one of the Boiling Rock "coolers" messed up firebending for a week.  P'Li recovered rather quickly once she was aboveground, despite her cell probably being worse than that and having been in for thirteen years.  Therefore, I suspect that the intense cold kept her from firebending because she was blowing her chi just keeping her core temperature out of the danger zone.)

        Loading editor
    • I think Ming-Hua's prison was the worst because she's already armless so it's not like she can wipe the sweat off her brow and then move on. Would you rather be where P'li was or Ming-Hua. i'd have to say I like P'li's better.

        Loading editor
    • Waterbend.3.19 wrote:
      I think Ming-Hua's prison was the worst because she's already armless so it's not like she can wipe the sweat off her brow and then move on. Would you rather be where P'li was or Ming-Hua. i'd have to say I like P'li's better.

      P'Li's cell would probably literally kill me.  I have primary Raynaud's syndrome and am not a firebender.

      Don't get me wrong; Ming-Hua's situation was probably worse.  It's just that P'Li's was a close second.

        Loading editor
    • People on this thread have been saying that P'Li and Ming-Hua had the worst persions but they did't say "I'm never going Back to Prison. If I'm going down today, Your comeing with me" Ghazan said that and then killed himself so he would not have to go back so maby he had the worst prison.

        Loading editor
    • Ghazan clearly had the strongest reaction but if you think about it, Team Avatar never really gave the other three a chance to voice their opinions regarding being sent back to prison.

      -P'li had her head blown to smithereens...hard to be all like "I'm never going back to prison" when the contents of your skull are all over the place.

      -Ming-Hua was electrocuted...again hard to speak when you've had your mind and body fried...I mean did you hear that absolutely fiendish shriek?

      -Zaheer had a sock shoved in his mouth...

      So with that in mind, I'd say being in a volcano is pretty bad...now imagine if you had no arms as well.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah...Ghazan was the only one who got cornered while still in any position to off himself, rather than either getting killed outright or immediately incapacitated.  It doesn't mean his situation was necessarily the worst in any quantifiable way; it means he's the only one who had the opportunity to die like a trapped coyote.

        Loading editor
    • I think Zaheer's beliefs, and ascetic attitudes, would however prevented him to prefer to die.

      He still would have preferred to survive, to have a chance, however small, to try again.

        Loading editor
    • Definately agree with Ming-Hua because yeah P'li may have been cold but its easy to warm up.. plus she's a fire bender. Its so harder to cool down without water or a fan or whatever.... I hate heat

        Loading editor
    • P'Li was also chained, and had a narrower field of vision from her cell.

      But she wasn't kept at the verge of life-threatening dehydration.  When they spring her out, she admittedly looks like an unmade bed, but also looks relatively sleek and healthy.  Ming-Hua, by contrast, is gaunt and hollow-eyed, and her voice sounds raspy.

      So yeah; Ming-Hua's cell was at least marginally worse.  And I say this as someone who can't handle cold worth a damn.

        Loading editor
    • I tihnk Ghazan had the worst prison.  Being forced to look at a boring stretch of ocean everyday for 13 years can get to you.

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles wrote:
      I tihnk Ghazan had the worst prison.  Being forced to look at a boring stretch of ocean everyday for 13 years can get to you.

      possibly why he killed himself to not go back

        Loading editor
    • The other three, one way or another, had their fates taken out of their hands—P'Li and Ming-Hua died in combat, Zaheer got stunned and immediately incapacitated.  And even if they hadn't, there's no guarantee that any of them would have been inclined to (as I put it earlier) die like trapped coyotes.

        Loading editor
    • I would say it goes like this from worst to best prisons:

      1) Ghazan

      2) Ming-Hua and P'Li

      3) Zaheer

        Loading editor
    • Derpyrebound wrote:
      I would say it goes like this from worst to best prisons:

      1) Ghazan

      2) Mig-Hua and P'Li

      3) Zaheer

      Can you give reasons why you belive that please.

        Loading editor
    • Sure. First off Ghazan had a desire to not return. While most would think that boredom was the cause for that reason, I think it goes deeper than that. He could be implying that he was TORTURED there. I am not sure if it was physical or psychological torture though. It does sound like the creators cause look at what the Red Lotus did to Korra, they tortured her with poison, so it kinda does fall into place.

      As for Ming-Hua and P'Li, I say they are tied. Obviously because they are both just terrible in different yet in the same way. Both extremes in temperature is bad for human beings, and both of them are in the extreme temperatures of their opposite element.

      Zaheer is the only one we saw with a decent space for moving around and we actually saw him getting food. So yeah, Zaheer is the only one with leg room and shown that he was the one best off, despite being the leader.

        Loading editor
    • So...Ghazan's prison was the worst...based on your own personal headcanon about the White Lotus sinking to the same depths as the Red?  That's quite the stretch. 

      And no, his choosing to die like a trapped coyote proves nothing except that he'd rather die like a trapped coyote and had that opportunity.

        Loading editor
    • Would you want to go back to a prison that you were tortured in, Deist? I would not and I am not sure what kind of person would anyways.

        Loading editor
    • I feel like we can all agree that all of the prisons were quite horrible, although Zaheer's less so. I guess he got off best because he was a nonbender, and did not require special conditions to negate his specific abilities.

        Loading editor
    • As you can see in his new prison, it has been designed specifically to prevent him from flying.

        Loading editor
    • Derpyrebound wrote:
      Would you want to go back to a prison that you were tortured in, Deist? I would not and I am not sure what kind of person would anyways.

      So...do you have any actual canon proof that he was being tortured?  Because all you've offered, so far, to support your argument is the fact that the Red Lotus tried to kill Korra in a painful manner.

      The Halter of Wind wrote:
      As you can see in his new prison, it has been designed specifically to prevent him from flying.

      It sure looked to me like the bastard can still levitate.

        Loading editor
    • Well, they can't stop him from levitating without removing his bending, but he can't fly outside a certain area, as exemplified when he lunged at Korra but was stopped by his chains before he could reach her.

        Loading editor
    • The Halter of Wind wrote:
      Well, they can't stop him from levitating without removing his bending, but he can't fly outside a certain area, as exemplified when he lunged at Korra but was stopped by his chains before he could reach her.

      The fact that they didn't depower him suggests to me that it wasn't an option.  (Then again, bloodbending is illegal; and, even if Korra's capable of depowering as well as undoing it, it's unlikely that they could have gotten her anywhere near him.)

      They could probably have used heavier chains.  Even so.

        Loading editor
    • This made me think of something: 

      Ming-Hua was put into volcano to prevent her bending water. 

      P-Li was put in an ice cave to prevent her bending fire. 

      Ghazan was put in a wooden box on a ship to prevent her bend lava. 

      Zaheer was put in an iron cage on top of a rock pillar to prevent him....? What, I wonder? Couldn't have they just put him in a normal prison? Or did he have a special power before he discovered airbending? Ironically, his discovery of airbending worked well for him in his prison. 

        Loading editor
    • Here's a speculation I've run across:  Designing a cell to contain a badass-normal effectively isn't all that difficult.  So the White Lotus thought that if there was a jailbreak, it'd more likely be one of the other three.

      And so, they put Zaheer in a cell that wasn't so much designed to keep him in as to keep the other three out.  No one counted on the badass-normal becoming an empowered badass-normal.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:

      And so, they put Zaheer in a cell that wasn't so much designed to keep him in as to keep the other three out.  No one counted on the badass-normal becoming an empowered badass-normal.

      Makes sense. 

        Loading editor
    • The only proof I have is the fact he didn't want to go back to his prison, so he allegedly killed himself. Sounds like he had gone through some torturing if you look at those particular points. It could be psychological torture, which means no physical scars, but plenty of hints in the way he acts, especially when he was being pressured by Bolin and Mako. Like I said, would you kill yourself so you didn't have to go back to a prison that you were tortured in? I am not asking a rhetorical question, and I am looking at it from a logical stand point.

        Loading editor
    • Dragonboy6491 wrote: Ghazan clearly had the strongest reaction but if you think about it, Team Avatar never really gave the other three a chance to voice their opinions regarding being sent back to prison.

      -P'li had her head blown to smithereens...hard to be all like "I'm never going back to prison" when the contents of your skull are all over the place.

      -Ming-Hua was electrocuted...again hard to speak when you've had your mind and body fried...I mean did you hear that absolutely fiendish shriek?

      -Zaheer had a sock shoved in his mouth...

      So with that in mind, I'd say being in a volcano is pretty bad...now imagine if you had no arms as well.

      Just going to leave this here.

        Loading editor
    • P'li by far

        Loading editor
    • Derpyrebound wrote:
      The only proof I have is the fact he didn't want to go back to his prison, so he allegedly killed himself. Sounds like he had gone through some torturing if you look at those particular points. It could be psychological torture, which means no physical scars, but plenty of hints in the way he acts, especially when he was being pressured by Bolin and Mako. Like I said, would you kill yourself so you didn't have to go back to a prison that you were tortured in? I am not asking a rhetorical question, and I am looking at it from a logical stand point.

      That's not proof, by a long shot. Dude was an anarchist who was all about freedom; he gave no more "hints" of having been tortured in any way than any of the other three. (And that includes P'Li, who was canonically a child soldier.) It'd be just as "logical" to claim that he knew Ming-Hua must be dead if Mako wasn't, and couldn't bring himself to live without her.

      Speaking of Ming-Hua: if anything, I'd be more likely to believe that the White Lotus would try to put the squeeze on her. She was visibly disabled, looked younger than the other three, and was absolutely tiny—all of which, together, add up to "easily misconstrued as vulnerable." (And this is all presuming that the White Lotus would sink to such depths as deliberate torture to begin with.)

      In short: you have no proof.  What you have is personal headcanon.

      Matayo41 wrote: P'li by far

      As I've said above?  Her cell would probably literally kill me; I have an autoimmune condition that causes vulnerabilty to cold, and am not a firebender.  Hell, it probably would have killed her if she hadn't been a firebender (and thus, able to blow her chi—as per Zuko in "The Boiling Rock, Part 1"—to ward off hypothermia). 

      However, I'd still argue that Ming-Hua's was marginally worse.  Look at how frail and sick she looked when Zaheer and Ghazan sprung her; she'd being kept at the verge of life-threatening dehydration for the past thirteen years.

        Loading editor
    • I stand by my reasonings. Besides, you haven't answered my question, which (sorry if rude sounding) I want answered. Ming-hua only looks the way she does is because she lacks arms. It makes her look skinnier. Everyone has pointed that out in the past. And besides, have you forgotten that the White Lotus are humans? Humans by nature are prone to doing evil or a twisted version of 'good'. It might just be a slight few who do torture because they think they are doing justice behind everyone's backs.

      Besides, isn't ALL of our theories on this page a personal head-cannon? There is no one true answer. This is a personal opinion page where we share them and collateral to make sense of what could be the worst one. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. Each one is a snowflake.

        Loading editor
    • I think P'Li had the worst prison. Her prison had freezing temperatures. Zaheer's prison was on the mountains, and I am sure he can handle long periods of darkness. Ming-Hua was on a volcano, but at least she was kept hot and warm. Ghazan's prison was only in a wooden box in a warm area on the ocean. I agree with the statement below.

      Matayo41 wrote: P'li by far

        Loading editor
    • Derpyrebound wrote:
      Sure. First off Ghazan had a desire to not return. While most would think that boredom was the cause for that reason, I think it goes deeper than that. He could be implying that he was TORTURED there. I am not sure if it was physical or psychological torture though. It does sound like the creators cause look at what the Red Lotus did to Korra, they tortured her with poison, so it kinda does fall into place.

      As for Ming-Hua and P'Li, I say they are tied. Obviously because they are both just terrible in different yet in the same way. Both extremes in temperature is bad for human beings, and both of them are in the extreme temperatures of their opposite element.

      Zaheer is the only one we saw with a decent space for moving around and we actually saw him getting food. So yeah, Zaheer is the only one with leg room and shown that he was the one best off, despite being the leader.

      But unlike the others, Ghazan was free to move around in his prison.

        Loading editor
    • naga please. Aiwei. stuck in a spirit world prison, the longer his soul is in there his body will get weaker by the day until he dies and it'll happen sooner than you think.

        Loading editor
    • Living in those specific prisons was it's own special form of torture. Any nomral human would have died or had a mental breakdown. That said there is nothing to suggest any of them were specifically tortured.

        Loading editor
    • I personally think that P'li had the worst prison, as she had endure temperatures probably below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for thirteen freaking years, while living deep underground in the frozen tundra, well within the Avatar world's arctic circle.

        Loading editor
    • The Halter of Wind wrote:
      I personally think that P'li had the worst prison, as she had endure temperatures probably below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for thirteen freaking years, while living deep underground in the frozen tundra, well within the Avatar world's arctic circle.

      Personally I would agree. But I hate the cold so I'm biased.

        Loading editor
    • Derpyrebound wrote:
      I stand by my reasonings. Besides, you haven't answered my question, which (sorry if rude sounding) I want answered. Ming-hua only looks the way she does is because she lacks arms. It makes her look skinnier. Everyone has pointed that out in the past. And besides, have you forgotten that the White Lotus are humans? Humans by nature are prone to doing evil or a twisted version of 'good'. It might just be a slight few who do torture because they think they are doing justice behind everyone's backs.

      Besides, isn't ALL of our theories on this page a personal head-cannon? There is no one true answer. This is a personal opinion page where we share them and collateral to make sense of what could be the worst one. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. Each one is a snowflake.

      Y'know...you could at least stop elevating pure guesswork to the status of "logic" and "reasoning."

      I am not talking about Ming-Hua's diamelia or her overall light build; I'm talking about the fact that she looked sickly when the guys sprung her.  She had deep hollows under her cheekbones and sunken eyes, despite looking overall younger than the other three. (Zaheer was already as salt-and-pepper as of his jailbreak as he was in his most recent appearance; while neither P'Li nor Ghazan were graying at all, both had visible squint lines.  Ming-Hua's hair was midnight black, and she had no age lines whatsoever.)

      As people have noted above: all of their cells could be considered "torture" by definition.  However, the ladies were deliberately subjected to extremes of temperature.

      The conditions in which Ming-Hua and P'Li were being kept are not headcanon.  We explicitly saw that on the show.  Ditto Ming-Hua's visible symptoms of dehydration.  The same can't be said of your speculation that Ghazan was being subjected to some sort of additional torture.  (Or, for that matter, about my speculation that the White Lotus were deliberately putting the squeeze on Ming-Hua.  The difference is that I'm not suggesting that it should be treated as canon.)

      And your question is irrelevant—and a transparent appeal to pity—unless you can offer some concrete evidence that Ghazan was canonically subjected to any sort of additional torture (as opposed to dying like a trapped coyote because he had the opportunity and viewed it as less unbearable than being jailed again at all).

      Lunacyde wrote:
      The Halter of Wind wrote:
      I personally think that P'li had the worst prison, as she had endure temperatures probably below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for thirteen freaking years, while living deep underground in the frozen tundra, well within the Avatar world's arctic circle.
      Personally I would agree. But I hate the cold so I'm biased.

      See my previous post on the subject.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:
      Derpyrebound wrote:
      I stand by my reasonings. Besides, you haven't answered my question, which (sorry if rude sounding) I want answered. Ming-hua only looks the way she does is because she lacks arms. It makes her look skinnier. Everyone has pointed that out in the past. And besides, have you forgotten that the White Lotus are humans? Humans by nature are prone to doing evil or a twisted version of 'good'. It might just be a slight few who do torture because they think they are doing justice behind everyone's backs.

      Besides, isn't ALL of our theories on this page a personal head-cannon? There is no one true answer. This is a personal opinion page where we share them and collateral to make sense of what could be the worst one. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion. Each one is a snowflake.

      Y'know...you could at least stop elevating pure guesswork to the status of "logic" and "reasoning."

      I am not talking about Ming-Hua's diamelia or her overall light build; I'm talking about the fact that she looked sickly when the guys sprung her.  She had deep hollows under her cheekbones and sunken eyes, despite looking overall younger than the other three. (Zaheer was already as salt-and-pepper as of his jailbreak as he was in his most recent appearance; while neither P'Li nor Ghazan were graying at all, both had visible squint lines.  Ming-Hua's hair was midnight black, and she had no age lines whatsoever.)

      As people have noted above: all of their cells could be considered "torture" by definition.  However, the ladies were deliberately subjected to extremes of temperature.

      The conditions in which Ming-Hua and P'Li were being kept are not headcanon.  We explicitly saw that on the show.  Ditto Ming-Hua's visible symptoms of dehydration.  The same can't be said of your speculation that Ghazan was being subjected to some sort of additional torture.  (Or, for that matter, about my speculation that the White Lotus were deliberately putting the squeeze on Ming-Hua.  The difference is that I'm not suggesting that it should be treated as canon.)

      And your question is irrelevant—and a transparent appeal to pity—unless you can offer some concrete evidence that Ghazan was canonically subjected to any sort of additional torture (as opposed to dying like a trapped coyote because he had the opportunity and viewed it as less unbearable than being jailed again at all).


      Lunacyde wrote:
      The Halter of Wind wrote:
      I personally think that P'li had the worst prison, as she had endure temperatures probably below 0 degrees Fahrenheit for thirteen freaking years, while living deep underground in the frozen tundra, well within the Avatar world's arctic circle.
      Personally I would agree. But I hate the cold so I'm biased.
      See my previous post on the subject.

      We all have our own definition, aka a connotation. You can have your own ideas, I can have my own ideas. I only originally wanted to share my idea and let others see what I thought. I didn't say my ideas were canon. Only Mike and Bryan know for sure what the worst cells were, we can only guess. And you to say my questions are a pity kinda offends me. I only asked to get a deeper relevance of what you thought and so I could put your ideas into my head and try to see from your perspective. Obviously you don't want me to see your ideas in a way I can understand and down right try to offend me. I don't want to start a non-sense fight over what I know could be different to everyone else's perspectives.

      I am aware Ming-Hua looked kinda off, but I myself have hollows in my cheeks, yet I am fine and healthy. So that part could be just to emphasis high cheek bones, and some cartoons love exaggerating certain features.

      And like I have been trying to say yet you don't seem to accept, in MY opinion mental torture is worse than physical torture. And my reasons go deep, not because I was tortured, but for a reason that many will think is irrelevant to the topic at hand. I respect your ideas, but please respect mine. We are both beating a dead horse by bantering like this.

      I am sorry if I used any idioms out of place. I am still trying to get complex figurative language without going into literal mode, which even to this day is difficult.

        Loading editor
    • There's the thing, though: this isn't about your ideas versus mine.  The conditions in which Ming-Hua and P'Li were being kept aren't my ideas; they're what was objectively the case on the show.

      Ghazan being treated the worst by the sentries, by contrast?  No one's stopping you from headcanoning that.  However, it remains that there's nothing to actually support it in canon.  (Ming-Hua and P'Li both died in combat.  We'll never know whether or not either of them would have chosen suicide over ending up back in their cells.  Ghazan, by contrast, got cornered while he still had the opportunity to drop a cavern on himself.)

      And if it genuinely offends you to hear that headcanons don't really count for purposes of discussions like this, I really don't know what to tell you.

        Loading editor
    • I get seasick so the worst prison is the floating one.

        Loading editor
    • Lygarx wrote:
      I get seasick so the worst prison is the floating one.

      That makes about as much sense as me hypothetically playing the Raynaud's syndrome card to argue that P'Li's prison was the worst. 

      But nonetheless, it makes slightly more sense than bringing headcanons into the argument.

        Loading editor
    • I'm cold right now, so I think P'li had the worst.

        Loading editor
    • Zaheer had two prisons. The day he could first airbend must have been like a total release from weakness in his normal, limited human abilities.

        Loading editor
    • Probably Ming-hua's prison, though I must admit the thought of being imprisoned in any of them gives me the shivers (literally, in P'Li's case).

        Loading editor
    • JediMasterSam wrote:
      Probably Ming-hua's prison, though I must admit the thought of being imprisoned in any of them gives me the shivers (literally, in P'Li's case).

      I agree with the fanon that Zaheer's initial cell was intended less to keep him confined (not a difficult thing to do with the badass-normal he was at the time) than to keep the other three out.  (Hell, I don't like Zaheer outside of a P'heer context, but...how much daylight was the poor bastard even allowed?)

      Ghazan would have probably mainly been bored and disoriented, but never underestimate the power of boredom and disorientation to drive one out of one's skull.  Plus, there's the popular fanon (spurred by "The Day of Black Sun") concerning earthbenders almost invariably getting seasick.  And then, there's the possibility of splinters.

      As I stated above: P'Li's cell would probably literally kill me, as I'm sensitive to cold and am not a firebender.  However, the fact that she looks sleek and healthy (if scruffy and none too clean) when Ming-Hua breaks her out puts it at a close second rather than at the absolute worst.

      You see, Ming-Hua's cell was a thing.  As in: volcano crater (although further perusal of the scene shows that it was at least dormant).  She looks frail and hollow-eyed when they spring her, showing visible symptoms of dehydration; this suggests that she was given the absolute bare minimum amount of water necessary to keep her alive.  (On the one hand, she's a waterbender; on the other, that's horrific.) 

      Won't go into my overall issues with the cells, and those last two in particular.  They tie into my overall issues with Book 3—for all that I consider it the all-time high point of the show—and the series as a whole.  And I'm not going to say anything about the oubliette that they stuck Zaheer in after the fact, because the dispassionate ruthless bastard unequivocally had it coming at that point.

        Loading editor
    • I just want to know how they go to the bathroom.

        Loading editor
    • Two words: chamber pot.  Although how the hell they managed one for either Ghazan (no metal in case he figures out how to bend it) or Ming-Hua (keep away from liquids), and whether or not either Ming-Hua or P'Li didn't end up with—respectively—burns or frostbite on their glutei, is probably another story.

        Loading editor
    • You have to unlock the cage to get the chamber pot in or out & it just makes more sense at that point to have a toilet or at least a hole.

      Also, in answer to your queries, more wood & cat litter, respectively.

        Loading editor
    • In my opinion, being too warm and being too cold are both terrible and cannot be compared, so I say that Ming-Hua and P'Li do both had the worst prisons. Zaheer and Ghazan didn't have extreme tempratures.

        Loading editor
    • The reason I consider Ming-Hua's the worst (by a narrow margin) isn't just temperature.  It's the fact that she looked visibly dehydrated when the guys broke her out; P'Li just looked sort of greasy and unkempt.

        Loading editor
    • That's a good point, but appearances can be deceiving. Short of frostbite, the effects of hypothermia are mostly not things you can see. It affects the brain, the immune system, & the peripheral nervous system. I'm not sure what the effects of long term mild hypothermia are, I can't find documentation of any such thing. I assume that, in the real world, people just don't last that long in such cold temperatures. If so, this would mean that P'Li withstood a situation that should have killed her years ago, which is sure to have many degenerative effects, even if they're unseen.

        Loading editor
    • Ehhh...according to a med student of my acquaintance, the long-term effects of hyperthermia can not only cause some of the same symptoms, but also fuck up one's circulatory system.  Add dehydration to that, and...yeah.

      I agree, however, that P'Li probably only survived that cell because she was a firebender (and thus able to somewhat regulate her temperature...although even Bryke pointed out in the commentary that she'd have been burning a metric fuckton of calories that way and would probably be eating like a sand shark as a result, as if that's not already everyone's fanon regarding combustionbenders as it is).  Hell, I've stated as much previously. 

        Loading editor
    • What I looked up just now makes it sound as if dehydration isn't a necessary result, as long as you drink more than you whizz out.

        Loading editor
    • I meant that Ming-Hua actually looks dehydrated when she escapes, what with her eyes sunken like that.

        Loading editor
    • I know, I'm saying that perhaps the reason why P'Li isn't dehydrated is that they gave her enough to drink. Unlike with Ming-Hua, they have no real reason not to, & if she dies, they don't get the information they want.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly, worst prison has to be between Ming-Hua and P'Li. All of the main Red Lotus characters were isolated to some extent, but as mentioned, only Ming-Hua and P'Li were subjected to temperature extremes. Ming-Hua has worst of all, IMO, because a key life necessity has to be limited to her to successfully keep her contained.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      I know, I'm saying that perhaps the reason why P'Li isn't dehydrated is that they gave her enough to drink. Unlike with Ming-Hua, they have no real reason not to, & if she dies, they don't get the information they want.

      Well, yeah; but withholding water from a firebender in an ice cell would be both pointless and futile.  (Icicles would form within her reach, and she would melt them down.)

      And I'm not sure where the idea that they were withholding water from P'Li came from to begin with.  I was counting them keeping Ming-Hua on the verge of life-threatening dehydration (and the fact that she'd have less ability to compensate for being in a volcano than P'Li would for being in an ice crevasse) as part of what made the conditions of her incarceration so horrific.

        Loading editor
    • You said hypothermia causes dehydration, I said the reason she doesn't have it is probably because she got enough water to drink, though I'd say that'd be quite a bit more than could likely be obtained by melting things in her cell, especially since her firebending was so weakened.

        Loading editor
    • Now I'm confused, because I don't recall ever having said that hypothermia causes dehydration. 

      I did say that Ming-Hua would be suffering from the effects of both long-term hyperthermia and dehydration (and would have less control of her situation than P'Li would of hers, and thus have to weather more of the damage).  But that's...significantly different.

        Loading editor
    • I guess hyperthermia & hypothermia look really similar when you're reading through a thread.

        Loading editor
    • I'd say Ming-Hua; at any moment, the prison could break and send her plunging into a slow, boiling death

        Loading editor
    • Oh, not at all, it would actually be quite quick, & she'd be dead before she even hit the lava. It's actually kind of a wonder that burning, poisonous gas hasn't already killed her by obliterating the inside of her lungs.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, really? That might be even worse

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, volcanoes are OP. You also don't actually sink into the lava, since its density is greater than that of the human body. You just kinda float there & burn. But you're already dead, so it's fine. To say nothing of lava bombs.

        Loading editor
    • The volcano actually looked dormant; there were a few glowing fissures, but it was mostly solidified stone.  Even so: if the heat or the fumes didn't get her before she hit bottom, the landing would probably finish the job.

        Loading editor
    • I would suggest it's more likely to be a lava lake where just the top layer is frozen. It looks much like that of Mt. Erebus, which is extremely hazardous despite its relative stability.

        Loading editor
    • Based on the art book, the fissures look narrower and more widely spaced than Erebus.  Still, certainly not somewhere you'd want to go strolling around.

        Loading editor
    • I'mma lick it.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message