FANDOM


  • Okay this topic may already been discuss but I just want to know is why is Kya wearing a Betrothal necklace if she's not married? I mean it's not been confirmed if Kya is married or not, but why would Mike and Bryan give Kya a betrothal necklace? Did they just did that for character appearance or something? Or maybe she was married and maybe she got a divorce or something, or maybe her husband died or something? Or maybe I'm just over thinking this and maybe it's not a betrothal necklace but just regular necklace. I really hope when Book 2 Spirits comes out on DVD, Mike and Bryan would explain why they give her a necklace.

      Loading editor
    • well, katara wore a necklace before she married... maybe it's the same one, passed down from mother to daughter.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      well, katara wore a necklace before she married... maybe it's the same one, passed down from mother to daughter.

      It can't be. I could swear in the scenes we've seen Katara in LoK she was wearing that necklace still. On the subject, however, I can't imagine why she'd be wearing a betrothal necklace... perhaps its lost the traditional meaning as seen in ATLA and now is both used for betrothal as well as just for fashion.

        Loading editor
    • There are several options

      1. Katara gave it to her as an Heirloom and the one she wears now is one Aang gave her.

      2. Kya was married and/or engaged once and her husband/fiance either died or left her.

        Loading editor
    • Tailfox wrote:
      Intelligence4 wrote:
      well, katara wore a necklace before she married... maybe it's the same one, passed down from mother to daughter.
      It can't be. I could swear in the scenes we've seen Katara in LoK she was wearing that necklace still. On the subject, however, I can't imagine why she'd be wearing a betrothal necklace... perhaps its lost the traditional meaning as seen in ATLA and now is both used for betrothal as well as just for fashion.

      Remember how Kanna was given an betrothal necklace by Pakku but she didnt like him for his ways and ran away to the Southern tribe?

      Kanna kept the Betrothal necklace Pakku gave her without marrying, then passed it on to Kya (Kataras Mom) then Katara

      What if a man proposed marriage to Kya while living with Katara (after Aang's death) giving Kya an betrothal necklace but she rejected like Kanna did

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote:
      There are several options

      1. Katara gave it to her as an Heirloom and the one she wears now is one Aang gave her.

      2. Kya was married and/or engaged once and her husband/fiance either died or left her.


      Impossible because Katara is still wearing her betrothal necklace.  Also it looks different from Kya's necklace. 

        Loading editor
    • None of the shots of Kya show any detail to the necklace and Katara still wears her original necklace. It's merely plain or featureless. We don't have the backstory of her travels so it could be that way for a reason.

        Loading editor
    • or it's not a betrothal necklace at all, and it's just a... necklace.

        Loading editor
    • It's Katara's necklace. She gave it to her like Katara's mother did to Katara. It doesn't mean that she is married. And still we don't know if she is married or not. She may be...

        Loading editor
    • Antonismage wrote: It's Katara's necklace. She gave it to her like Katara's mother did to Katara. It doesn't mean that she is married. And still we don't know if she is married or not. She may be...

      No it's not Katara's necklace. Katara's necklace and Kya's necklace have different designs, re watch Legend of Korra and you'll see that Katara is still wearing her necklace. Kya got her own necklace.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarJinzo wrote:

      No it's not Katara's necklace. Katara's necklace and Kya's necklace have different designs, re watch Legend of Korra and you'll see that Katara is still wearing her necklace. Kya got her own necklace.

      So, I guess that she's married and it's not officially announced yet?

        Loading editor
    • Antonismage wrote:
      AvatarJinzo wrote:

      No it's not Katara's necklace. Katara's necklace and Kya's necklace have different designs, re watch Legend of Korra and you'll see that Katara is still wearing her necklace. Kya got her own necklace.

      So, I guess that she's married and it's not officially announced yet?

      No it hasn't been confirmed that if she is married or was married. Is possible that she's not married at all like Bumi. I'm was just curious because I finished watching book 2 spirits, and from looking at Kya's necklace I was wondering if that's a betrothal necklace or not. It looks like it but I think I'm over thinking this, it could be just a regular necklace. Hopefully Mike and Bryan will explian it in book 2 spirits dvd commentary. 

        Loading editor
    • I'm thinking the art book will go over the necklace thing. Most likely used as a throw back to Katara's design (or her mother's).

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote: I'm thinking the art book will go over the necklace thing. Most likely used as a throw back to Katara's design (or her mother's).

      Oh yeah I forgot about that. Maybe the art book will cover it, just like it cover Mako and Bolin's parents, we learn that their father is a earth bender and their mother is a fire bender.

        Loading editor
    • If it's a betrothal necklace, my guess is that she's widowed.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:
      If it's a betrothal necklace, my guess is that she's widowed.

      Yes...that would explain some things...

        Loading editor
    • maybe her husband died and we didn't see her children yet

        Loading editor
    • My thoughts:

      She could have been married at one point in her life, and her husband might have left her or passed away. Unless they didn't have any children together, this isn't very likely as Kya hasn't mentioned a husband or children throughout all of Book 2. This could also be passed down from Katara, who wears an entirely different necklace.

        Loading editor
    • Lumoshi wrote:
      My thoughts:

      She could have been married at one point in her life, and her husband might have left her or passed away. Unless they didn't have any children together, this isn't very likely as Kya hasn't mentioned a husband or children throughout all of Book 2. This could also be passed down from Katara, who wears an entirely different necklace.

      Who knows? Her husband may even left her for reasons unknown and maybe that's why she said to Tenzin that she left her whole life to live with Katara when Aang died...

        Loading editor
    • Maybe Book 3 or Book 4 will say something about the matter.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah...maybe. So many plot holes though. XD

        Loading editor
    • Lumoshi wrote:
      My thoughts:

      She could have been married at one point in her life, and her husband might have left her or passed away. Unless they didn't have any children together, this isn't very likely as Kya hasn't mentioned a husband or children throughout all of Book 2. This could also be passed down from Katara, who wears an entirely different necklace.

      No Katara still wearing her same necklace, kya is wearing a different necklace. 

        Loading editor
    • I wound love to know more about kya tenzin and bumi and lin's past. I want to know about their childhood and teenhood. lol

        Loading editor
    • The words being thrown around in this thread. Just because she has a necklace, it doesn't mean it's a betrothal necklace. Kya was said to never have settled down until Aang died, after which time she moved to the Southern Water Tribe to be with her mother. Why people are throwing around "plot hole" is beyond me. Katara still wears her mother's necklace, as it's been pointed out already. There is no indication Kya is or has ever been married, something that could be considered "settling down", something Kya didn't do for many years, until she moved to be near to her mother. And the artbook didn't say Bolin and Mako's parents were benders, just their ethnicities.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarJinzo wrote:

      Lumoshi wrote:
      My thoughts:

      She could have been married at one point in her life, and her husband might have left her or passed away. Unless they didn't have any children together, this isn't very likely as Kya hasn't mentioned a husband or children throughout all of Book 2. This could also be passed down from Katara, who wears an entirely different necklace.

      No Katara still wearing her same necklace, kya is wearing a different necklace. 

      Oh. I didn't look very closely.

        Loading editor
    • Teddybearlover wrote: I wound love to know more about kya tenzin and bumi and lin's past. I want to know about their childhood and teenhood. lol

      Yeah, I definitely want to see that. I don't think we even know how old Kya and Bumi are, that's how much we know about their past.

        Loading editor
    • Lumoshi wrote:

      Teddybearlover wrote: I wound love to know more about kya tenzin and bumi and lin's past. I want to know about their childhood and teenhood. lol

      Yeah, I definitely want to see that. I don't think we even know how old Kya and Bumi are, that's how much we know about their past.

      they never mention Kya and Bumi age. they didn't mention it at all in book 2 or at SDCC. I hope we find out in book 3 or 4.

        Loading editor
    • Based on this photo, Bumi looks around 9-11, Kya looks from 5-7, and Tenzin 1-2. As Tenzin is 51 by 170 AG, we can assume Kya is around 55-57 and Bumi 59-61.

        Loading editor
    • So we can assume that she CAN be a widow if she is 56 years old...

        Loading editor
    • Lumoshi wrote: Based on this photo, Bumi looks around 9-11, Kya looks from 5-7, and Tenzin 1-2. As Tenzin is 51 by 170 AG, we can assume Kya is around 55-57 and Bumi 59-61.

      Aang and katara were in there 30's when they had Tenzin and I don't know how old there were when they had Kya and Bumi.

        Loading editor
    • They were in their early thirties when Tenzin was born, and probably their twenties when Kya and Bumi were born.

        Loading editor
    • I think Aang and katara were 18-19 when they had Bumi and probably their twenties when Kya was born.

        Loading editor
    • @teddy

      You do realize this is a franchise aimed at kids right?

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote: @teddy

      You do realize this is a franchise aimed at kids right?

      yeah. I know. it was just a theory I thought of.

        Loading editor
    • If they were 18-19, Bumi would be about 65. He doesn't look that old. I think he's about 60.

        Loading editor
    • maybe they had Bumi when Aang was 121 , kya 124 and tenzin 131

      Kya might be 56  now 

        Loading editor
    • Mkamind wrote:
      maybe they had Bumi when Aang was 121 , kya 124 and tenzin 131

      Kya might be 56  now 

      Wat

      Aang died MUCH earlier, around in his 60s, because being in the Avatar state for 100 years in an iceberg drained his life force. This is why Katara and Zuko are still alive despite being older than Aang, but Aang past away. And considering Korra is about 18 now, Aangs death would be 18 years ago.

      Unless you meant the time spent in the iceberg counting for Aangs age, but biologically he died early

        Loading editor
    • Considering Kya's fear of being chained down and forced to live in one place for a time, I'd say it was either:

      A: A fashion choice and that the whole betrothal thing had lost all meaning in the south (which is likely as katara had no idea what the necklace meant in ATLA).

      B: Someone made it for her in anticipation for marriage (unlikely though as the same laws didn't seem to apply in the south and if she had rejected anyone, I doubt she'd keep that reminder)

        Loading editor
    • Thinklogic wrote:
      Mkamind wrote:
      maybe they had Bumi when Aang was 121 , kya 124 and tenzin 131

      Kya might be 56  now 

      Wat

      Aang died MUCH earlier, around in his 60s, because being in the Avatar state for 100 years in an iceberg drained his life force. This is why Katara and Zuko are still alive despite being older than Aang, but Aang past away. And considering Korra is about 18 now, Aangs death would be 18 years ago.

      Unless you meant the time spent in the iceberg counting for Aangs age, but biologically he died early

      I don't mean biologically, I mean( his time in the iceberge + his time out of the Ice berge)

      (112) biologically 12

      (121)biologically 21

      (131)biologically 31

        Loading editor
    • Theories So Far:

      1) She was married/betrothed at one point, but her husband/fiance died or left her.

      2) It's just a necklace, not a betrothal necklace.

      3) It is a betrothal necklace, but it's now used for fashion as well as betrothal.

      4) She is actually married, but her husband has not made an appearance. (Unlikely, a husband would have most likely been at least mentioned at some point.)

        Loading editor
    • 2 seems the most likely, although 1 and 3 are somewhat likely as well.

        Loading editor
    • Scotteh22 wrote:
      Theories So Far:

      1) She was married/betrothed at one point, but her husband/fiance died or left her.

      2) It's just a necklace, not a betrothal necklace.

      3) It is a betrothal necklace, but it's now used for fashion as well as betrothal.

      4) She is actually married, but her husband has not made an appearance. (Unlikely, a husband would have most likely been at least mentioned at some point.)

      yes, one of those theories must be right.

        Loading editor
    • 2 - 3 most likely. 1 and 4 can be discounted, because Kya's fear is that a husband or familial ties would tie her down and prevent her from travelling or doing what she likes. Can't forget S2 in the spirit fog.

        Loading editor
    • I think the travels have more to do with her family life and experiences than marriage or external relationships. She does come home only after the father dies.

        Loading editor
    • That was noted by Tenzin as the only point in time where she settled down, and even then she despised it, which again, discounts both 1 and 4.

        Loading editor
    • It might a gift from a relative or a friend. or she is wearing it for fashion ,like the girls who put rings only for fashion and appearance.

        Loading editor
    • I am willing to bet that the necklace Katara sports now is the one her mother gave her. Hence, the necklace Kya has is probably the betrothal necklace Aang gave Katara, assuming he stuck to that custom

        Loading editor
    • Zuko0sHon0r wrote:
      I am willing to bet that the necklace Katara sports now is the one her mother gave her. Hence, the necklace Kya has is probably the betrothal necklace Aang gave Katara, assuming he stuck to that custom

      That's what I was thinking and it would be a nice touch to have that as what it means. I'd like to think that Aang kept to the custom and it's a lovely necklace too! I'd also like to think that Kya has a family but I think we would have seen them by now if she did, I don't know why but I can imagine Kya having a hipster waterbending son :3

        Loading editor
    • Until it serves the story to reveal it will be kept vague as to what it is.

        Loading editor
    • Or Kya just wears it for decoration.

        Loading editor
    • ACTUALLY - I was rewatching the final episode of book one, and I noticed something. Katara's necklace was different. [ http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7yiuajbSl1rb4bowo1_500.jpg ] You see it has the Air Nomad & Southern Water Tribe insignia on it. Her original necklace isn't on her. My guess is she gave it to Kya, but Kya doesn't wear it. To clear confusion, Kya's necklace isn't a betrothal necklace. It's just a piece of jewlery. [ http://38.media.tumblr.com/c4d67500d4d8c8f3abea8f28dca289f4/tumblr_mu8t5gEdPc1rss05ao2_500.png ]

        Loading editor
    • Carry The Light wrote:
      ACTUALLY - I was rewatching the final episode of book one, and I noticed something. Katara's necklace was different. [ http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7yiuajbSl1rb4bowo1_500.jpg ] You see it has the Air Nomad & Southern Water Tribe insignia on it. Her original necklace isn't on her. My guess is she gave it to Kya, but Kya doesn't wear it. To clear confusion, Kya's necklace isn't a betrothal necklace. It's just a piece of jewlery. [ http://38.media.tumblr.com/c4d67500d4d8c8f3abea8f28dca289f4/tumblr_mu8t5gEdPc1rss05ao2_500.png ]

      Actually Katara is still wearing her mother's necklace. She was wearing it in the first episode of book 1 Air.

        Loading editor

    • There are plenty of good shots of Kya's necklace (watch Civil Wars, parts 1 and 2 or The Guide in season 2 for examples) and it's not the one Katara wore in ATLA. Kya's necklace is in the shape of a crescent moon while Katara's necklace is circular. Going by season 4’s Korra Alone, Katara still wears her mother’s necklace or one that looks really similar to it. Aren't betrothal necklaces more of a Northern Water Tribe tradition anyway? Maybe Kya just wears it because it looks pretty.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think that's a betrothal necklace. It's a collar moreso. Kya's collar has a crescent-shaped gem and two stones in it, while the betrothal necklaces have stone tags with insignias.

        Loading editor
    • Kaiko Mikkusu wrote:
      I don't think that's a betrothal necklace. It's a collar moreso. Kya's collar has a crescent-shaped gem and two stones in it, while the betrothal necklaces have stone tags with insignias.


      Maybe, but is there any rule that says betrothal neckalce have to be circular instead of whatever the shape the person making decides on?

        Loading editor
    • Well maybe not but traditionally at least they're suppose to have a circular stone. 

      Kya's collar looks like it's part of her outfit.

        Loading editor
    • Well, considering that Kya has recently been confirmed as an LGBTQIA+ character, her neckalce might very well have been carved for Kya by her wife, whom we simply didn't get to meet...

        Loading editor
    • Remember, Pakku ended up carving a second necklace for Kanna while Katara kept the first. It could be that the second one was also passed down after Kanna passed away. We don't know what the second necklace looks like.

        Loading editor
    • 8th Hero of Olympus wrote:
      Well, considering that Kya has recently been confirmed as an LGBTQIA+ character, her neckalce mighy very well have been carved for Kya by her wife, whom we simply didn't get to meet...

      Exactly. Maybe that's why her necklace is like a new moon instead of a full circle. She's like... semi-betrothed)

      Or maybe it's just her "hippie" necklace. I honestly think it lacks spikes x)

        Loading editor
    • So since Kya has been confirmed to be either a Lesbian or Bisexual maybe the reason why Kya wasn't in Book 4 was because she was spending time with her wife or Girlfriend?

        Loading editor
    • Wasn't it the lgbtia+ community in the post? If that's the case, couldn't she be asexual or one of the others?

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote:
      Wasn't it the lgbtia+ community in the post? If that's the case, couldn't she be asexual or one of the others?

      Is possible.

        Loading editor
    • Asexual is closer to the "vibe" I get off of her.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah. Maybe she's not lesbian she is, Asexual.

        Loading editor
    • We're just gonna have to wait for an official confirmation! :P However, I, for one, got a really "lesbian" vibe off of her... The rough games that she used to play with Tenzin (when they were still kids) could imply that she's a tomboy, which could further imply that she's a lesbian... 

        Loading editor
    • Well consider the fact we still don't know nothing about Kya's younger years, except she travel the world to find herself, but yeah she could be either lesbian, bisexual, or asexual, I can actually see Kya as a bisexual woman. Plus I'm still waiting on the Avatar comics to explore the lives of Tenzin, Bumi, Kya, Lin, Suyin, and Izumi. We still don't know if Sokka ever had children. 

        Loading editor
    • 8th Hero of Olympus wrote:
      Well, considering that Kya has recently been confirmed as an LGBTQIA+ character, her neckalce mighy very well have been carved for Kya by her wife, whom we simply didn't get to meet...

      My guess is that either she's aro-ace (and—considering that she's generally a warm and loving person, if slightly abrasive—that take would thumb its nose at stereotypes and therefore be awesome), or the crescent moon is the Water Tribe equivalent of violets.

        Loading editor
    • She's supposed to be loving and caring but that seems to be generally towards Jinora in the show and largely downplayed. I could see her as any of the three (the many times of asexual, bisexual, or homosexual) pending how they'd want to play it.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe a timeclone of Jinora ends up into the past due to spiritworldly shenanigans.

      Maybe past timeclone Jinora is thus same biological age as Kya, meets her, and they fall in love.

      And when Jinora Prime is born, timeclone Jinora dies.

      So Kya is lesbian for a timeclone of her niece essentially, she did not know that was her niece though.

        Loading editor
    • Kya's necklace looks nothing like Katara's so maybe Kya passed the necklace on to a daughter she had with a man although Kya probably had a female partner.

        Loading editor
    • No offense but why would you assume that? It's possible but what indication is there? 

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles
      Boomubbles removed this reply because:
      Unable to reply
      21:59, June 18, 2015
      This reply has been removed
    • Sokka did have children. Have you noticed that Su is darker than Lin and Toph? Obviously Sokka is Su's father

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles wrote:
      Sokka did have children. Have you noticed that Su is darker than Lin and Toph? Obviously Sokka is Su's father

      Piandao has dark skin just like Sokka and Katara and he's from the fire nation. I highly doubt that Sokka is Suyin's father.

        Loading editor
    • I wonder if lesbians give betrothal necklaces

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      I wonder if lesbians give betrothal necklaces

      I see no reason for them not to :P

        Loading editor
    • RosenDrache wrote:
      Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      I wonder if lesbians give betrothal necklaces
      I see no reason for them not to :P

      Could work but I can only really see it happening under two different circumstances. First, the one who gave it was another water tribe member or the person had enough knowledge of the water tribe to present it to Kya. Because of the idea that Kya was traveling around in her youth, I'm more tempted to look at the latter.

      I do wonder if they will go into Kya with that new LoK series. It would be extremely easy to tie her backstory in with Korra/Asami's.

        Loading editor
    • the way she freaked out in S2E13 made is seem like she has commitment issues as she said "I HAVED NO FAMILY!!! YOU CAN'T TIE ME DOWN!!!!" so it may not be bethrothal 

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      the way she freaked out in S2E13 made is seem like she has commitment issues as she said "I HAVED NO FAMILY!!! YOU CAN'T TIE ME DOWN!!!!" so it may not be bethrothal 

      That's most likely it. To be honest, her necklace seems to strike me more as fashion wear than a genuine betrothal necklace.

        Loading editor
    • so in other words, a fake

        Loading editor
    • It makes me a little sad that people use Kya being a free spirit and not wanted to be tied down as evidence for her not having a Lover/Spouse. Being in love shouldn't mean you loose your freedom. Maybe she had a travelling companion who she fell in love with. Maybe she decided she couldn't tie the other person down by making them come to the southern water tribe with her to settle down and care for her Katara so she left on her own. Maybe the other person still thinks about her and wonders what she is doing...

      I made myself sad.

        Loading editor
    • great job, now i'm going to develop feelings and humanity because of you Megumibex

        Loading editor
    • She had a real fear of being tied down if we look at book 2. Maybe her partner wanted to go deeper with their relationship and Kya just couldn't handle or accept it? That's if she had a partner.

        Loading editor
    • then why accept the necklace?

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      then why accept the necklace?

      Maybe that she learned about the demise or death of that partner and decided to wear it for rememberance? 

      There are also other possible answers to why she's wearing the necklace. Number one is that it isn't a bridal necklace. The earlier, rougher concepts of Kya depict a necklace that is very similar to Katara's in ATLA. However, the finalized depiction is just listed as a "necklace". It's one of the few actual changes to the character. That seems to indicate that they didn't want Kya to be married or didn't think it was necessary to discuss during the show's three sequel books.

      We also have to remember that another character wore a bridal necklace and wasn't married. I'm speaking about Katara. This necklace could simply be Kya's grandmother's necklace. I'm not talking about the other Kya but perhaps the new female character in ​North and South.

      There's also the option that she simply made it herself to say that she was "taken", or that she wasn't interested in marriage, and didn't want to be bothered by possible suitors.

        Loading editor
    • that is a  very smart idea i think i've read a comic where a girl wears a ring to protect herself from sleazy men and predators.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote: well, katara wore a necklace before she married... maybe it's the same one, passed down from mother to daughter.

      Like any heirloom, it was probably just a sentimental item.

        Loading editor
    • It's not Katara's necklace and it's not A:TLA Kya's either. I think it just means she's some sort of aroace.

        Loading editor
    • Kaiko Mikkusu wrote: It's not Katara's necklace and it's not A:TLA Kya's either. I think it just means she's some sort of aroace.

      What is an aroace?

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote:

      Kaiko Mikkusu wrote: It's not Katara's necklace and it's not A:TLA Kya's either. I think it just means she's some sort of aroace.

      What is an aroace?

      It might have something to do with the Aro/Ace spectrum, which are people either aromatic (aro) or asexual (ace). Could be wrong but I'll let the user correct me.

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote:

      Aggression25 wrote:

      Kaiko Mikkusu wrote: It's not Katara's necklace and it's not A:TLA Kya's either. I think it just means she's some sort of aroace.

      What is an aroace?

      It might have something to do with the Aro/Ace spectrum, which are people either aromatic (aro) or asexual (ace). Could be wrong but I'll let the user correct me.

      Sounds like phony baloney to me.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote:

      Kubernes wrote:


      Aggression25 wrote:

      Kaiko Mikkusu wrote: It's not Katara's necklace and it's not A:TLA Kya's either. I think it just means she's some sort of aroace.

      What is an aroace?
      It might have something to do with the Aro/Ace spectrum, which are people either aromatic (aro) or asexual (ace). Could be wrong but I'll let the user correct me.
      Sounds like phony baloney to me.

      How, exactly?  Is the existence of people who genuinely don't experience sexual attraction or have an interest in romance really all that far-fetched?

        Loading editor
    • Can't be attracted to a person simply because of a trinket or something.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote:
      Can't be attracted to a person simply because of a trinket or something.

      True enough.  But I'm not entirely sure what trinkets—or somethings, for that matter—have to do with the topic being discusssed.

        Loading editor
    • It was asking about why Kya was wearing the choker.

        Loading editor
    • I think we still don't know why, but a quick update due to some things said by bryke in a panel, all references to a hypothetical husband/fiance in this thread should actually be to a hypothetical wife/fiancee. :) :) :)

        Loading editor
    • You're a bit late to the party; we've known that she was queer for over two years now.  As in, since a few months after the finale.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, well aware, but I was seeking the answer headlining this thread to see if they've said anything since, and I thought I'd update or with some info.

        Loading editor
    • Nothing direct, but Irene Koh has confirmed that there will be other queer characters in the comics and that Kya will at least make an appearance.  If there is a wife in the picture, maybe we'll meet her.  (Or at least hear about her.)

        Loading editor
    • Theoncomingwolf wrote: I think we still don't know why, but a quick update due to some things said by bryke in a panel, all references to a hypothetical husband/fiance in this thread should actually be to a hypothetical wife/fiancee. :) :) :)

      What?

        Loading editor
    • We know for a fact that Kya is appearing in the graphic novel.  And there have at very least been hints that her being queer will be officially addressed in the narrative (and if her hypothetical wife is both more than hypothetical and still in the picture, her introduction might be one of several possibilities).

        Loading editor
    • Good grief, this is why i'm not watching LoK.

        Loading editor
    • I have a headcanon that Kya, afraid of commitment, ditched her partner shortly after she got the neclace and wears it ouf guilt.

        Loading editor
    • IS IT a betrothal necklace, though? I'm thinking it's very possible that it's not. 

      I mean, I look at Kya's necklace compared to Yue's or Katara's, and it doesn't match.

      It's similar, but IMO it's different enough that it just might be a simple fashion statement rather than a true betrothal necklace. I guess we won't know for sure until the comics say something on the subject...IF they do, that is.

        Loading editor
    • I still like to think of it as just a collar.

        Loading editor
    • Or perhaps, just perhaps, it's just a freaking necklace. I'm pretty sure the Southern Water Tribe doesn't do the betrothal necklace thing.

        Loading editor
    • TAGCreator wrote:
      Or perhaps, just perhaps, it's just a freaking necklace. I'm pretty sure the Southern Water Tribe doesn't do the betrothal necklace thing.

      Very true, i hate all the gay stuff Nick added after the show was done. A bunch of chickens if you ask me to do that. 

        Loading editor
    • Incognito Pony wrote:
      TAGCreator wrote:
      Or perhaps, just perhaps, it's just a freaking necklace. I'm pretty sure the Southern Water Tribe doesn't do the betrothal necklace thing.
      Very true, i hate all the gay stuff Nick added after the show was done. A bunch of chickens if you ask me to do that.

      I never said that. In fact, I support it! I have three LGBT characters in one show I'm making, and five in another. I was just pointing out how people just forgot the marriage customs of the Southern Water Tribe aren't the same as the Northern Water Tribe.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message