FANDOM


  • Prior to RC, it was implied that people could not live together as one and the nations should be seperate. Does this mean that people from different nations could not live in another for example, an Earth Kingdom family living in the FN

      Loading editor
    • Technically no, as we know the Foggy Swamp Tribe was able to hole up in the Earth Kingdom with no problem. It does seem like there was a strong pressure to keep everyone in their respective corners, however.

        Loading editor
    • yet another reason a story should be written about the avatars after wan.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      yet another reason a story should be written about the avatars after wan.

      TBH, the idea that people couldnt travel to other nations and live ther is a bit silly for example, by Aang(pre-the promise) and Roku's logic, If I am from the FN and I travel to the EK and by so happen to fall in love and marry a EK girl, we couldn't be together because I can not live there a nd vice versa

        Loading editor
    • I would imagine immediately post-Wan there was a lotof prejudice and animostiy between different groups from different lion turtles. This probably hindered any early on communication. After that the groups likely became so disphrant that falling in love and marrying just became impractical, and when it could happen the alien factor made it dangerous or otherwise unlikely. 

      Think RL, where humans very rarely saw people from outside of their nation or tribe except through war. By the time travel became fast enough to facilitate multinaitonal households, many other cultural obstactles (of varying success) were made to keep us from "mixing".

        Loading editor
    • Before the 100 year war Aang talks about traveling to the EK to see Bumi and the FN to see Kuzon*. I think it was good for all nations to see what other cultures. The only thing is harmony. Every nation needs to live in harmony. Im guessing fights and wars broke out between nations causing the Avatar to split them. 

        Loading editor
    • Im sure the ideology of each avatar changed since wan. Wan was all for living together as one people he said "Diffrent groups of people must learn to live together." Yanchen had stoped many wars ans saw the destruction and chaos they caused so she probaly saw living as one being imposible same with Kyoshi. Roku said " That the four nations were meant to be four" He wanted separation of diffrent people at all costs. Ironically Wan being the oldest avatar had the most open mind about intergartion, and aang despite having his people wipedout was all for living as one.

        Loading editor
    • I think that particular progression comes down to human nature. Humans have a very tribal nature, something that was doubtlessly exasperated by the limited environments of the Lion Turtles. In such environments, it is very easy to get "us vs. them" mentality towards different people, which fosters conflict 9 times out of 10. Wan, not having this background information, endeavored to bring the various peoples of the world together, only to be met with violence and war. Subsequent Avatars probably tried to do the same with similar results before succumbing to the belief that it would simply be easier to keep the various nations in their corner to keep people from beating the bejeezus out of each other.

      Of course, what is easy is not always right. By keeping the various nations in their corners, the tribal mentality was maintained, and thus conflicts kept popping up as the millennia passed, which the Avatar kept subduing by getting the nations to go back to their starting points through guile or force. It was sort of a vicious cycle.

      Then you have the Hundred Year War. For the first time, there wasn't an Avatar to relatively immediately step in and settle things. Fighting went on for a century, and I'm guessing that kind of conflict had an effect on people. Plus, it finally got international dialogue rolling (especially after the war). The pointlessness of war and the prosperity of working together finally began to show through, allowing Aang, an Avatar naturally prone to pushing harmony, to more easily push the idea that the nations should come together rather than remain fragmented.

        Loading editor
    • I think in harbor city there were some water Tribespeople. Maybe they were afraid of the Quantity of fire nation citizens. Or Maybe because they came to the earth kingdom on hostile terms they felt like they were being ocupied still. Or maybe they were afraid of the Fire nation takeing over.

        Loading editor
    • well, not everyone had flying bison, or ships... i'm guessing it was pretty expensive to travel, so few people chose to.

        Loading editor
    • ShortswitsoxZ wrote: I think in harbor city there were some water Tribespeople. Maybe they were afraid of the Quantity of fire nation citizens. OrMaybe because they came to the earth kingdom on hostile terms they felt like they were being ocupied still. Or maybe they were afraid of the Fire nation takeing over.

      Where is this 'habor city' you speak of?

        Loading editor
    • It was in  "the storm" In the E.K.

        Loading editor
    • Which leads me to wonder how children like Mako and Bolin who are of mixed race are viewed outside of Republic City. Would mixed race children be viewed as outcast or of "low" birth.

        Loading editor
    • Winterfirstsnow* wrote:
      well, not everyone had flying bison, or ships... i'm guessing it was pretty expensive to travel, so few people chose to.

      This. Air Nomads had sky bisons and their life style was more adaptable then the rest with freedom and such, they travelled the world from an early age, I mean Aang had friends from all over the world. Waterbenders are navigators but I think they mostly travelled from south pole to north pole and vice versa (waterbenders in the swamp are hidden, they don't even had a council seat in UR). Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation lacked these things. Earth Kingdom is immense, no doubt that most of the citizens didn't even see the other parts of the kingdom.

        Loading editor
    • Fire nation had flying dragons to get around...

        Loading editor
    • Well, the high class anyway. I doubt domesticated dragons were common, otherwise their subsequent slaughter would have made no sense.

        Loading editor
    • Pretty sure that only the Fire Nation Royal Family and very high nobility had dragons.

        Loading editor
    • even in the upper class it was rare. roku only had a dragon b/c he found his egg and hatched him, and then raised him from when he was young. the only other examples of someone having a dragon are sozin, who's dragon we don't know about, and zuko, who's dragon probably had to be raised by humans, considering that it's one of the last dragons around.

        Loading editor
    • I believe that each bender prefer to live where his element is the strongest:

      • The poles are advantageous to a waterbender because it is all ice and water. An Earthbender like Bolin has to bring his ceramic discs. The cold weakens or even suppress firebending.
      • High mountains are advantageous to airbenders but the thin air can weaken combustion for firebending. There is also less rocks for earthbenders and less water for waterbenders.
      • Volcanic areas like the Fire Nation are advantageous to firebenders.
      • Regular lands are advantageous to earthbenders.

      Over time, the benders become elites of the nation of their own nation. Non-benders do not have such preference so they are "allowed" to come and go as they please.

        Loading editor
    • bryke specifically stated in an interview that they didn't want benders becoming some sort of elite. I think you're right that the four nations were settled where their benders were strongest, however, the non-benders of each nation stayed there because that's where their family is/was.

      also, it was shown that bolin could earthbend w/o his disks. there's regular ground under the snow. and i'm not sure that combustion was shown to be affected by the higher altitudes.

        Loading editor
    • Benders are not necessarily leaders, but they do influence the culture and politics of the nation they reside. Each bender tend to reside where his element is the strongest and avoid areas where it is the weakest. The bending may also be influenced by the surrounding chi, e.g., the ley lines in the mountains may  provide stronger chi to airbenders than other benders. Republic City could be one place where all benders are equally powered. Icon_think.gif Yes, non-benders would stay due to family ties.

        Loading editor
    • Winterfirstsnow* wrote:
      well, not everyone had flying bison, or ships... i'm guessing it was pretty expensive to travel, so few people chose to.

      Probably since it was okay for ruko to be in Ba sing se.

        Loading editor
    • Well the Earth monarch seems to have been a non-bender always. While the Fire Nation and Air Nomads had very powerful benders as leaders. The Water Tribes didn't necessarily have benders in such high positions and the United Republic for most of its history had representatives from all nations, yet the last representatives all were benders but now they elected a non-bender as Head of State. Before modern transportation most humans died in the same settlements they may have been born in and if it wasn't for the need that led to mass migration we all would still be mostly in Africa.

      I'm guessing there is also such thing as the "United Republic Dream" leading to migrants from all nations to the URN (specially to Republic City) since otherwise the whole country would only be Earth-Kingdom-Folk and Fire-Nationals descents of the people that were part of the Fire Nation colonies before independence and sovereignty was given to them.

        Loading editor
    • I would like to see how a sun warrior can transition to a modern place like republic city. fanon idea the sun warrior dairies.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      I would like to see how a sun warrior can transition to a modern place like republic city. fanon idea the sun warrior dairies.

      Okay.

        Loading editor
    • I think it would work rather well.

        Loading editor
    • I would imagine in a time when one nation was bent on world conquest (Fire), another was their prime target (Earth), another was almost completely isolated and/or marginalized (Water), and another was extinct (Air), and this was a situation that existed for at least 100 years, there wouldn't be a lot of people screaming for racial harmony. One would think that at least the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes would coexist due to their shared alliance against the Fire Nation, but I would imagine that this was more for strategic purposes rather than a genuine desire to blend their societies.

        Loading editor
    • The north water tribe was isolated.

        Loading editor
    • they weren't isolated during the beginning of the war but they were isolated after the fire nation attempted to attack them.

        Loading editor
    • When?

        Loading editor
    • in 15 AG they went under attack by the fire nation and won remember that Arnook said that the uniforms that they captured were 85 years old/ I bet after that they built the wall.

        Loading editor
    • Empressofmelnibone wrote:
      Which leads me to wonder how children like Mako and Bolin who are of mixed race are viewed outside of Republic City. Would mixed race children be viewed as outcast or of "low" birth.

      By this day and age, it seems like that shouldn't matter now; it seems like that was the direction they were going in the Promise. Plus, we've seen people of differing nations getting together without any negative feedback

        Loading editor
    • It seems anyone (not during 100 Year War) could have lived where they want. Travel, culture/family and bending seem to be the factors to limit them. There are Earth kingdom citizens that haven't been to its capitol.

      "it was implied that people could not live together as one and the nations should be seperate"

      I think you might have that out of context..

        Loading editor
    • I guess it depends if you are an average person or a major threat.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      in 15 AG they went under attack by the fire nation and won remember that Arnook said that the uniforms that they captured were 85 years old/ I bet after that they built the wall.

      Or they stole them.

        Loading editor
    • People were allowed to travel and visit, as Aang had a friendin the fire nation and earth nation, and had experience with penguin-seals.

        Loading editor
    • I am going with people could live in other nations under most circumstances, exept maybe the F.N. because they were more organized, so maybe you had to fill out a form or somthing. The reason why people wanted to remove the fire colonials was they came here on hostile terms, fear, hatred, discrimination, they were afraid they would destroy there culture, and the fact that they had a high social standing in most colonies so the Earth kingdom officials and nobles would lose power.

        Loading editor
    • Baraz and Ahnah

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      Baraz and Ahnah

      Probably Ilegally though.

        Loading editor
    • yeah they were probably earth kingdom citizens

        Loading editor
    • ShortswitsoxZ
      ShortswitsoxZ removed this reply because:
      wrong
      00:51, December 19, 2014
      This reply has been removed
    • Oh wait I thought we were talking about those people from the northern water tribe in the serch, Sorry, 

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      Baraz and Ahnah

      One was probably the Duaghter or granduaghter of Water tribe or U.R. citizen. The other was probably a colonial decendent.

        Loading editor
    • but they still had legal citizenship of the earth kingdom.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      but they still had legal citizenship of the earth kingdom.

      Yes.

        Loading editor
    • that's what I'm saying.

        Loading editor
    • Well, for a breif moment they were not while Kuvira was ruling.

        Loading editor
    • because she went all Hitler with her ethnic clensing putting them in reeducation camps but I think she also built concentration camps as well as brainwashing centers but I feel as most of these were in the desert. The avatar version of a Gulag.

        Loading editor
    • No that would be the avatar version of a turkish prison. This is the avatar version avatar version of the Gulag.  

      Fort Bosco

      and the boiling Rock would be Alcatraz.

        Loading editor
    • It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).

      That's exactl what was hapenning when there were lion turtles. When the cities came in contact, they raged war until their was peace, and they decided to divide into organised nations for each element.

        Loading editor
    • It must have taken them some time, but in 10K years, that's a fair bit of leeway. I'll bet a dime to a dollar that there was even a different Airbender culture before the Nomads.

        Loading editor
    • MysticNerd wrote:
      Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).
      That's exactl what was hapenning when there were lion turtles. When the cities came in contact, they raged war until their was peace, and they decided to divide into organised nations for each element.

      I think thier own culture and racial features devolped on the lion turtle.

        Loading editor
    • ShortswitsoxZ wrote:
      MysticNerd wrote:
      Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).
      That's exactl what was hapenning when there were lion turtles. When the cities came in contact, they raged war until their was peace, and they decided to divide into organised nations for each element.
      I think thier own culture and racial features devolped on the lion turtle.

      yes, they did.

        Loading editor
    • MysticNerd wrote:
      ShortswitsoxZ wrote:
      MysticNerd wrote:
      Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).
      That's exactl what was hapenning when there were lion turtles. When the cities came in contact, they raged war until their was peace, and they decided to divide into organised nations for each element.
      I think thier own culture and racial features devolped on the lion turtle.
      yes, they did.

      How do you know for shure.

        Loading editor
    • ShortswitsoxZ wrote:
      MysticNerd wrote:
      ShortswitsoxZ wrote:
      MysticNerd wrote:
      Avatar Vyakara wrote: It's always possible that the nations themselves are the result of an ethnic unification effort. Ten thousand years previously, there must have been dozens of separate Bending tribes, each developing its own culture. Over the time between Harmonic Convergences, they most likely had various forms of population around the globe, with intermingling of different Bending types and races. But, one way or another, they split. I dunno, perhaps somebody set up a cast system in one of the earlier civilizations (which could be really cool as a story idea), and as a result of this, there came a revolution and a need to split the races apart to preserve balance. Nobody (until Korra, really) seems to think what they think without a ruddy good reason to think so, and maybe the Four Nations idea worked because it split up those with similar temperaments and cultural affiliations in a way that allowed them to interact, but relatively harmlessly (then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked...).
      That's exactl what was hapenning when there were lion turtles. When the cities came in contact, they raged war until their was peace, and they decided to divide into organised nations for each element.
      I think thier own culture and racial features devolped on the lion turtle.
      yes, they did.
      How do you know for shure.

      Becuase they lived on lion turtles. Also, ofcourse they didn't completely develop on lion turtles, because thats no how culture orks. They continued to develope but the air nomads were buddhist on the lion turtles and the fire nation was japanese.

        Loading editor
    • ...or at least they had hints of it. Still, I'd say that 10,000 years is a lot of time for a culture not to change at all. Somehow, I'd say they lost some of those elements upon moving out into the Wilds, reverting back to an earlier state.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      ...or at least they had hints of it. Still, I'd say that 10,000 years is a lot of time for a culture not to change at all. Somehow, I'd say they lost some of those elements upon moving out into the Wilds, reverting back to an earlier state.

      Ofcourse they changed. I even said it in the previous comment. There are also definite differences. I'm not saying there aren't. I even embraced this in the previous comment.

        Loading editor
    • But of course. Sorry, I do get it, I was a bit rushed at the time.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      But of course. Sorry, I do get it, I was a bit rushed at the time.

      You sound like I shamed you. No reason to feel that sorry. It's okay.

        Loading editor
    • Very kind, Mystic.

        Loading editor
    • thanks. "Mystic" I like that.

        Loading editor
    • I guess culture developed threw out all time humanity existed, I mean why not.

        Loading editor
    • as far as we know only two and a half genocides have been attempted and put through. the air nomad genocide. the southern water tribe raids removing all the waterbenders. Ozai's attempt to burn the earth kingdom down.

        Loading editor
    • Still, 10,000 years is a long time not to kill off any races. We can barely manage about 300.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      as far as we know only two and a half genocides have been attempted and put through.

      the air nomad genocide. the southern water tribe raids removing all the waterbenders. Ozai's attempt to burn the earth kingdom down.

      The attempt to purge the Earth empire of all none Earth kingdome nationalities.

        Loading editor
    • Not sure that really involved killing, though. From what it looked like, it was just rounding 'em up.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      Not sure that really involved killing, though. From what it looked like, it was just rounding 'em up.

      By the discription of the reducation camps, I would assume the desease would and starvation would kill them. I think it was reference to the Holocaust. They would round up other ethnicities and polotical enemies. Putting them on a train to a camp. 

        Loading editor
    • Probably. Still, kids do watch it. My guess is Kuvira took a leaf out of the Fire Nation's book, like the White Lotus did with their own prisons.

        Loading editor
    • I know kids watched it. That is probably why they never went to the camp.

        Loading editor
    • I can see the camps more like Stalin's gulag's being in the desert and they are forced to work although I also can see decenters being brainwashed or gassed.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      I can see the camps more like Stalin's gulag's being in the desert and they are forced to work although I also can see decenters being brainwashed or gassed.

      Stalin has killed more people then hittler so it is not better. I picture the camps as pure suffering and starvation.

        Loading editor
    • The more important question is WHY? Seriously, why even make the camps at all? That didn't make much sense, like why not dissenters period, why go out of the way to show her discriminating against other nationalities for no good reason? That baffles me still.

      All the nations appeared to prefer keeping to themselves, though there are several examples of people clearly not caring or even mentioning any of the characters being from other nations. In A:TLA rarely did anyone bother remarking on the main characters, who were in most cases blatantly running around in the their native clothing, being in the places they were. Then you had those who easily blended in to neighboring nations without much trouble, like Hama, Zuko, Iroh, or the rest of the group in the fire nation. The only real problem came about when groups tried to stake a claim in a another nation instead of quietly assimilating.

      How and when the swampbenders migrated to their current location, does anyone actually know they are there, remains a mystery.

        Loading editor
    • It was probably more along the lines of the internment camps the United States ran during World War II. Not to say bad shit didn't happen (bad shit happened in the aformentioned internment camps too), but I don't think outright genocide was the goal. 

      I still don't understand why they were targeting people of Water Tribe nationality. I can understand hating people from the Fire Nation, but that one struck me as almost nonsensical - they were the Earth Kingdom's trusted allies during the Hundred Year War, and I don't think relations deteriorated that much in the following century. I mean, the Water Tribes were too busy cleaning up and rebuilding due to their own civil war to intervene in the Earth Nation after Book 3, so I don't see how that could cause a problem, either. 

      Yeah, I have no idea how those swampbenders appeared. Lol, like magic, or something.  

        Loading editor
    • CommanderZeta wrote:
      It was probably more along the lines of the internment camps the United States ran during World War II. Not to say bad shit didn't happen (bad shit happened in the aformentioned internment camps too), but I don't think outright genocide was the goal. 

      I still don't understand why they were targeting people of Water Tribe nationality. I can understand hating people from the Fire Nation, but that one struck me as almost nonsensical - they were the Earth Kingdom's trusted allies during the Hundred Year War, and I don't think relations deteriorated that much in the following century. I mean, the Water Tribes were too busy cleaning up and rebuilding due to their own civil war to intervene in the Earth Nation after Book 3, so I don't see how that could cause a problem, either. 

      Yeah, I have no idea how those swampbenders appeared. Lol, like magic, or something.  


      That's my whole point, while Kuvira wanted what was best for the EK, in no way was it presented that she would think that would include killing people of different national decent. If she was so against non EK nationals why would she work so closely with Varrick, even if she thought that would move her goals along. If she was proud enough to intern these other people you would think she would be too proud to work with them.

      It was presented as a way to show her to be obviously evil, though really for story purposes it wasn't neccesary. The people in the camp could have been dissenters and everything would have been fine, but by making them specifically from TWT and FN you are left with more questions than answers. There were several missteps in the writing there.

      There is no reason why they couldn't have just been born there except there is no precedent within the show for that. It's more likely that there was a group or even a few families that left found somewhere they wanted to settle and did so, because...I don't know.

        Loading editor
    • But she has to do things that are completey irrelevant to her goal and that will mark her as a near-psychotic racist dictator. How else are we supposed to...feel sympathy for her in the last five minutes when she completely reverses personality?

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      But she has to do things that are completey irrelevant to her goal and that will mark her as a near-psychotic racist dictator. How else are we supposed to...feel sympathy for her in the last five minutes when she completely reverses personality?

      I mean, you can pull that kind of thing off - with a character like Darth Vader, for example - but with Kuvira I found it to be rather... lacking. 

        Loading editor
    • Tell me about it.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      Tell me about it.

      Lol, you make a good ally - anglosphere unite!

        Loading editor
    • Eh, if you can't beat 'em...more than once with your patron state doing most of the work for you...

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      Eh, if you can't beat 'em...more than once with your patron state doing most of the work for you...

      Eh, don't worry about it. You guys kicked enough ass during both World Wars to make up for it. Add in the Boer Wars, the Korean War, France's mess in Vietnam (that became our mess in Vietnam), and anything else that Canada has participated in that I've forgotten, while you're at it.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      But she has to do things that are completey irrelevant to her goal and that will mark her as a near-psychotic racist dictator. How else are we supposed to...feel sympathy for her in the last five minutes when she completely reverses personality?


      THAT right there? Was one of the huge reasons Book 4 also fell completely on its face for me, it was ok for her to sacrifice Bataar Jr. for the sake of her goals but when it came time for her to do the same or at least not surrender all of a sudden? Nope too hard apparently. Kuvira could still respect Korra and not try to kill her AND remain dedicated to her goals. But no I won't go into why that was utterly ridiculous, but I wanna.

        Loading editor
    • Lol go ahead, no one's stopping you. 

        Loading editor
    • CommanderZeta wrote:
      Lol go ahead, no one's stopping you. 


      I could write a essay on why Book 4 is the most ironically named season ever, but I rather wait until a more appropriate time.

        Loading editor
    • Actually, that would be a good idea. Maybe you could even submit it to the Ba Sing Se Times. Honestly, I reckon there'd be a fair amount of support for it.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      Actually, that would be a good idea. Maybe you could even submit it to the Ba Sing Se Times. Honestly, I reckon there'd be a fair amount of support for it.

      Lol, the what? 

        Loading editor
    • The Ba Sing Se Times. You know, the site's newsletter?

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      The Ba Sing Se Times. You know, the site's newsletter?

      No, I didn't.

      I do now though, lol. 

        Loading editor
    • Oops. Still, as I said, I know at least somebody would be interested. Me, for one.

        Loading editor
    • I could do that as long as it was clear that the point of the essay is to point out major flaws in what was to be the finale season. Not a rant on only personal reasons the Book 4 fell short since that isn't something I would do on a public space anyway.

        Loading editor
    • I'd read it too, I suppose. 

        Loading editor
    • ...heh, heh. About that, Bruticus...

      Honestly, do go ahead with it.

        Loading editor
    • Well her reducation camps were not just for other nationalies, it was also for political prisoners. They also enslaved men for labor as they mowed down political bodies all over the continent. This is verry close to Hittler.

        Loading editor
    • ShortswitsoxZ wrote: Well her reducation camps were not just for other nationalies, it was also for political prisoners. They also enslaved men for labor as they mowed down political bodies all over the continent. This is verry close to Hittler.

      so is Kuvira. Ethnic clensing, her cannon was first a rail gun, winning a shattered nation. all Hitler all Kuvira.

        Loading editor
    • In Earth Empire was no ethnic cleansing. Even in the Fire Nation of Ozai army were people of different ethnic groups.

      Kuvira has a railway gun and on this she is Hitler. Interesting logic. If you follow this logic, then Kuvira is Islamic fundamentalists. She has a green banner.

      And why do people go to other countries if in their country life is not a disaster? Even after the events of The Last Airbender, meaning in a crossing was only relative to the Republic. In all countries, the decline and destruction and only the Republic is growing and thriving. Which is not surprising with such advertising and attracting finance from around the world.

        Loading editor
    • The other countries were trying to rebuild, but I'll admit that most of the work seemed to be done in the URN. Which might explain the Council system; it offered not only a forum for the ethnic groups in Republic City, but also for the other nations to discuss reconstruction efforts in their own nations. In effect, it would have served both as government and UN council until the other nations were back on track.

        Loading editor
    • Well the Avatar Gang had to disuise themselves because if they were caught being dressed as another nation they would be caugh beause Katara couldn't wear here neckalces for obvious reasons

        Loading editor
    • Bonkinhead wrote:
      Well the Avatar Gang had to disuise themselves because if they were caught being dressed as another nation they would be caugh beause Katara couldn't wear here neckalces for obvious reasons

      Sorry for typos I was rushing to get to class

        Loading editor
    • Bonkinhead wrote:
      Well the Avatar Gang had to disuise themselves because if they were caught being dressed as another nation they would be caugh beause Katara couldn't wear here neckalces for obvious reasons

      That only applied in the fire nation and fire nation controlled terroritory. They did this so they would not draw autention to themselfs or be stopped by immigration services, or what ever the fire nation has for immigration services..

        Loading editor
    • um yeah I don't think the Firenation is big on immigration ^_^

        Loading editor
    • Winterfirstsnow* wrote:
      um yeah I don't think the Firenation is big on immigration ^_^

      At least during the 100 year war. When Roku got married I could see people from many different nations attend the wedding

        Loading editor
    • Not to mention that people barely blinked an eye at the Gaang when they said they were from the colonies.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Vyakara wrote:
      Not to mention that people barely blinked an eye at the Gaang when they said they were from the colonies.

      A more relevant thought - the Fire Nation had no colonies in either of the Water Tribes, so it's unlikely that the average Fire Nation citizen - let alone colonial - would see a Water Tribe person. No one reacts visibly to the fact that two WT kids are walking around the Fire Nation; ignore their clothing, just focus on the color of their skin. It's not really common outside of the WTs, and no one seems to think "hm... this is suspicious..."

      I don't know. Maybe I'm interpreting this incorrectly, lol. 

        Loading editor
    • No, no, I think that's a good point, Grimm. The people in that town didn't look as if they'd really been in contact with the Water Tribes. On the other hand, there are a lot of different races in the Earth Kingdom; why not in the Fire Nation as well? Looking at the map, they didn't travel to more than half of the bigger islands, focusing more on the smaller parts of the archipelago. Maybe there are some other Water Tribe descendants around there? Or maybe some on Ember Island? Actor-Toph looked pretty dark-skinned. Maybe there are a few remnants of ancestral Southern Water Tribe lumberjacks, racing across the sea and raiding the coasts to get that most precious and important of resources: wood...

        Loading editor
    • I'm almost positive that the dark skinned Earth Kingdom people have some small kinship with the Southern Water Tribe. If memory serves, it's more common in the south anyway.

        Loading editor
    • only because of the foggy swamp tribe with residents like Ahnah form S4E7

        Loading editor
    • ^ who actually were not dark skinned. Unfortunately I think it is yet another plot hole... there's no way really to justify it 

        Loading editor
    • Once again, I present: Actor Toph! Come on over here, big guy, take a bow, then stand up to reveal your thick, tanned skin!

        Loading editor
    • he was tan, but he had black hair and we dont know what his eye color was.... The bright blue eyes and medium brown hair aren't very firenation looking... skin color aside, they still should have been recognized as fake firenation people

        Loading editor
    • Once again, I present: Actor Toph! Come on over here, big guy, take a bow, then stand up to reveal your thick, tanned skin!

      Not to be difficult, but I think he just had a tan.

      Winterfirstsnow* wrote: ^ who actually were not dark skinned. Unfortunately I think it is yet another plot hole... there's no way really to justify it 

      Not everyone in the Water Tribe is dark skinned. Pakku, for example. It seems to be a lot more common among the Southern Tribe, but even then, it's not absolute.

        Loading editor
    • ...so where did he go to get it? Even Ember Island natives don't have that much of a tan for the most part. Do they all spend their time in the sun under parasols like Mai? Argh, maybe it's just body paint, for all I know.

      Okay, Neo, that's a point. Ummi's another example, and she's from the Southern Tribe.

        Loading editor
    • I thought about body paint, but I figured his skin tone just looked weird against the backdrop.

      I don't know why the people on Ember Island don't tan. Genetics? Sunscreen? A deliberate attempt to maintain pale skin because of beauty standards? I'm not psychic.

        Loading editor
    • Well during the war I think enemy nations who went to their enemy territory would be put in jail. Look at WW2. America brought back their citizens to American once Germany started attacking the different countries. Zuko would have died if they found out he was fire nation or Aang and the gang (:3) would die if they were caught by fore nation regardless of whether they were a prince or avatar. But after the war I think it was okay to travel to different nations since no one would care what nation yoh are from. I remem er when we saw Rokus wedding people from many differen nations attended it and it was all taking place in the Fire Nation. So war may have something to do with the immigration

        Loading editor
    • War always results in suspicion of those related to the "enemy," but it's oversimplified to assume that suspicion always manifests in the same way.

      The Fire Nation did not want to purge people of other nations, they wanted to rule them, hence why Water Tribe ethnic groups were allowed in the Fire Nation if they were "from the colonies."

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      War always results in suspicion of those related to the "enemy," but it's oversimplified to assume that suspicion always manifests in the same way.

      The Fire Nation did not want to purge people of other nations, they wanted to rule them, hence why Water Tribe ethnic groups were allowed in the Fire Nation if they were "from the colonies."

      Well during the painted lady episode they said they said they were from the colonies and then by the end of the episode they were mad that they were water tribe and weren't fire nation citizens part of the colonies too? I think so. So many the colonies were consisted more of Fire Narion coloniesI cant remember though but i don't thunk they would let other groups/colonial citizens comes to the homeland but I dunno

        Loading editor
    • ^ maybe they assumed they were mixed but firenation citizens/firebenders. besides, the Firenation didn't rule over any areas with waterbenders....

        Loading editor
    • Winterfirstsnow* wrote:
      ^ maybe they assumed they were mixed but firenation citizens/firebenders. besides, the Firenation didn't rule over any areas with waterbenders....

      Some say the south pole is ruled but there are the southern raiders that attack them to lower their population slowly though. 

        Loading editor
    • mm, the SWT was almost destroyed, but there are no colonies there (at least theres no hint of one, I suspect encouraging Firenation people to move to a winter wonderland would prove difficult), there's no constant or consistant firenation presence in the south. I guess they could kidnap a watertribe girl during a raid, take her to a colony and have children by her there???

        Loading editor
    • Winterfirstsnow* wrote:
      mm, the SWT was almost destroyed, but there are no colonies there (at least theres no hint of one, I suspect encouraging Firenation people to move to a winter wonderland would prove difficult), there's no constant or consistant firenation presence in the south. I guess they could kidnap a watertribe girl during a raid, take her to a colony and have children by her there???

      lol At the last sentence. But I'm sure they would just imprison them because there is really is no difference between the nations besides eye color so experimenting wouldn't be high on their list but yeah there probably arent any colonies in the tribes because fire nation dont do well in cold weather

        Loading editor
    • Agreed. Probably why they didn't try a polar route to Ba Sing Se.

        Loading editor
    • forget that they could have taken the western ocean that led up to chameleon bay a natural harbor. instead of going east to the western EK continent

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message