FANDOM


  • What if Aang (like, young Aang) had to deal with the Equalist threat? do you think he would have succeeded in defeating Amon if Team Avatar hadn't yet run into Hama?

      Loading editor
    • So long as he had the rest of Team Avatar behind him, I think he'd do OK. As a whole, the group tends to plan things out and doesn't rush in to things that often, which I think is what got Korra into trouble a lot of times, and they work as a unit in combat.

      As an individual, I'm not so sure. While Aang is clever, he's also very evasive and doesn't like direct conflict. I get the feeling he'd try to appease the Equalists until it was too late.

        Loading editor
    • I think the equalist threat rose because of republic city. But if they were to run into Amon before Hama I don’t think they would have won. Aang different learn fire bending and Katara hasn’t learn blood bending which saved them when fighting Hama. Korra did get her bending taken away for a while but Aang’s energy bending brought it back. Aang would not know how to use energy bending during this encounter causing them to lose their powers forever. Amon is smart enough to pick each one of team avatar out and take them individually, making it easier to fight Aang. Also Yakone (Amons dad) was able to take down the original team Avatar for a short period, when they were older and more powerful. Amon was a prodigy at age 14 probably the most powerful blood bender of all time.



      So I don’t think the original team avatar would have been able to stop equalist and defeat Amon

        Loading editor
    • if we are talking about Aang right after sozin's comet (even without ever running into hama), then i believe he could do it. he had the avatar state and now energybending. he would try to reason with Amon and the equalists first, but when they began taking away powers, he would not hesitate to bring him down. like he said when he took out yakone, " i don't usually get involved in these kinds of things", but since it was bloodbending, he took action. Aang can step up when needed, so i would think he would fight amon (and break out of his grip with the A-State) and then energy bend him. 

        Loading editor
    • 12345drizzy wrote:
      if we are talking about Aang right after sozin's comet (even without ever running into hama), then i believe he could do it. he had the avatar state and now energybending. he would try to reason with Amon and the equalists first, but when they began taking away powers, he would not hesitate to bring him down. like he said when he took out yakone, " i don't usually get involved in these kinds of things", but since it was bloodbending, he took action. Aang can step up when needed, so i would think he would fight amon (and break out of his grip with the A-State) and then energy bend him. 

      I agree that Aang would try to reason with the equalists before engaging them. Instead of being elbowed into joining a task force, like Korra was, Aang would take a stand and offer to negotiate with Amon. If Amon refused and went at Aang with guns a blazin', then he would be sending a message to his supporters that he didn't have their best interests in mind and would quickly be debased and villified. If amon showed up, then he might have been forced into a peaceful resolution (but we all know that probably wouldn't have happenned). Either way, it seems like Aang would have handled the problem better than Korra did. Either way it would have proved that problems like that can be resolved peacefully and that Avatar society wasn't as stratified as Amon had made it out to be. But with Korra at the helm, she ended up debasing Amon, but she never proved the equalists wrong. Maybe Aang should have frozen himself in an iceberg for a little longer.

        Loading editor
    • Aang WAS elbowed into joining an aggressive task force, by General Fong. At no point did he try to reason with the Fire Nation, & don't tell me it's because he knew that wasn't realistic. When he woke up, he said that he never would have predicted that the Fire Nation would have tried to conquer the world or join against the Avatar.

      And so what if he did try to reason with the Equalists? What would have happened then? Get jumped & humiliated, like Korra was? Prove his innocence with his mastery of rhetoric, as he did so well when he stood trial for Kyoshi's "crime"?

      I swear, Nostalgia Glasses completely blind people not only to Aang's faults, but to what actually happened.

        Loading editor
    • @ Neo Bahamut. I am going to say that he knew it wasn't realistic, because it wasn't. The reason he didn't negotiate with the Fire Nation is because it was being ruled by a power hungry dictator and his crazy daughter. Half the populace worshipped them as gods and the other half was goaded into following the Fire Lord's bidding. Would you have tried to negotiate with the Nazis under Adolf Hitler? A large majority of Germans during that time period didn't agree with what Hitler was doing, but couldn't speak out because the Nazi minority had guns pointed at their heads. Even for a well seasoned diplomat. trying to reason with a nation under those circumstances would have been next to impossible. The only option the allies really had was to remove the despot and help rebuild Germany, which eventually became allied with America. Aang and his friends approached the Fire Nation in a similar manner; can you really expect them to do something that FDR and Churchill couldn't? 

       Handling the equalists would have been an equally chalenging, but a less herculean task; somewhat comparable to the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Figures like MLK and JFK made great strides in swaying public opinion and advancing civil liberties (despite their tragic deaths). Aang might have had more success here, especially considering that the whole character of the Avatar is based of the real life Dalai Lama and Ghandi, both figures that had some influence on MLK and JFK.

         As for Aang being in Korra's position. This whole debate is pitting Amon v. Aang after Aang had endured his transformative journey in stopping the Fire Nation. Yes he has flaws, and yes he's made mistakes, I'm not such a diehard fan that I can't see that. But give him some credit. Even in his worst moments, he still showed a little more maturity than angsty, hot-headed Korra. From all the experiences he gained on his journey (experiences that Korra was deprived of), he could have done something better than what Korra did. And even if Amon jumped him, that would be shooting himself in the foot as it would show that Amon wouldn't take the opportunity for a peaceful means of gaining rights for non-benders, that he would put them through war and suffering to further his own ends. As for joining general Fong, he did it for reasons that were out of his control (If I didn't hit the nail in hard enough in the last paragraph), and he did walk away from it like Korra did.

      Just giving my rationale. My opinion was based on reason, not just nostalgia.  

        Loading editor
    • "As for Aang being in Korra's position. This whole debate is pitting Amon v. Aang after Aang had endured his transformative journey in stopping the Fire Nation."

      Okay, I do see now that you were quoting a post that said that. I won't say that this "invalidates" my complaints, because it is a blatantly unfair comparison, instead I will say that they hold true if you actually make a valid comparison, such as Season 1 Korra to Season 1 Aang.

      "But give him some credit. Even in his worst moments, he still showed a little more maturity than angsty, hot-headed Korra."

      This is one of the most hilariously hypocritical sets of sentences that I have ever born witness to.

      "And even if Amon jumped him, that would be shooting himself in the foot as it would show that Amon wouldn't take the opportunity for a peaceful means of gaining rights for non-benders, that he would put them through war and suffering to further his own ends."

      Nobody in the Equalists trusts the Avatar or the government. They would be expecting Aang to betray him. By striking first, Amon would prove that the Benders were no threat to him, just as jumping Korra didn't prove to the Equalists that he was too weak to fight her head-on. Just look at how ready they are to commit crimes for him. Do you seriously believe that Amon ever showed up at a Council meeting in full regalia & went, "Hey, guys, I have some grievances to file"? They didn't need him to try to make peace, because they were already jonesin' for a fight.

      "As for joining general Fong, he did it for reasons that were out of his control (If I didn't hit the nail in hard enough in the last paragraph), and he did walk away from it like Korra did."

      So it's the same situation. Like I said.

        Loading editor
    • " I won't say that this "invalidates" my complaints, because it is a blatantly unfair comparison."

      Well, the whole premise of this argument makes an unfair comparison with Korra. Korra is still on he journey to becoming a fully realized Avatar when Aang has already undergone his transformative journey.

      "This is one of the most hilariously hypocritical sets of sentences that I have ever born witness to."

      Okay, so it may have been a bit of a stretch to say that. But you may recall what Korra did in season 2, when she went behind the President of Republic City's back to try and garner military support and combat the occupation of the southern water tribe. Aang has done some questionable things, and Korra had the right to be indignant, but that just seems way out of line for someone who's supposed to try and keep peace between all four nations and at least try find diplomatic solutions to problems before resorting to using force. She does mature over the course of the show, but in the frame of time that Aang stands in this discussion, already having endured a harrowing quest, he's a little better equiped to handle the situation at hand.

         "Nobody in the Equalists trusts the Avatar or the government. They would be expecting Aang to betray him. By striking first, Amon would prove that the Benders were no threat to him, just as jumping Korra didn't prove to the Equalists that he was too weak to fight her head-on. Just look at how ready they are to commit crimes for him. Do you seriously believe that Amon ever showed up at a Council meeting in full regalia & went, "Hey, guys, I have some grievances to file"? They didn't need him to try to make peace, because they were already jonesin' for a fight."

      I only said that Aang would have made his best efforts to try and find a peaceful resolution before resorting to violence. In fact, I said in #5 " If amon showed up, then he might have been forced into a peaceful resolution (but we all know that probably wouldn't have happenned)". You're probably right, but the gesture of finding peace might have made at least some of the equalists question their cause and weigh the benefits of violence vs. peace. The civil rights movements of the 1960's didn't progress without violence, and some sides never relented, but others did. Amon probably would attack Aang anyway, posessing additional motives for starting the equalist revolution (In fact the basis for this forum thread was discussing how team Avatar would defeat Amon, I just thought about discussing some of the circumstances leading up to the melee.)

      Fair enough?  

        Loading editor
    • I think it would be interesting to see who would take the other's bending away first xD

        Loading editor
    • "Well, the whole premise of this argument makes an unfair comparison with Korra."

      The OP didn't say when to compare, it just said to compare.

      "Aang has done some questionable things, and Korra had the right to be indignant, but that just seems way out of line for someone who's supposed to try and keep peace between all four nations and at least try find diplomatic solutions to problems before resorting to using force."

      Most of the Avatars interpreted the job description as requiring them to kill anyone who threatened that peace. And unlike Aang, Korra actually knows first hand what Unalaq is capable of, so she has a pretty good reason to say that he can't be reasoned with.

      "The civil rights movements of the 1960's didn't progress without violence, and some sides never relented, but others did."

      Well, yes, & if Aang had more time, then maybe he could have diffused the situation. But Amon was planning a full-out assault in, what, 3-6 months? True, in this time, Aang learned waterbending & repelled a Fire Nation invasion, but he did the latter not through diplomacy, but because he turned into a giant monster.

      I will admit that Korra had to rely on things "just working out."

      "Fair enough?"

      I guess. I'd say that Aang would defeat Amon with the Avatar State & the allies that he'd gathered throughout his journey, especially the non-benders, but then again, Amon would likely see that Aang had an entirely different set of strengths & weaknesses, & plan accordingly.

        Loading editor
    • WilliamsonKnox wrote:
      12345drizzy wrote:
      if we are talking about Aang right after sozin's comet (even without ever running into hama), then i believe he could do it. he had the avatar state and now energybending. he would try to reason with Amon and the equalists first, but when they began taking away powers, he would not hesitate to bring him down. like he said when he took out yakone, " i don't usually get involved in these kinds of things", but since it was bloodbending, he took action. Aang can step up when needed, so i would think he would fight amon (and break out of his grip with the A-State) and then energy bend him. 
      I agree that Aang would try to reason with the equalists before engaging them. Instead of being elbowed into joining a task force, like Korra was, Aang would take a stand and offer to negotiate with Amon. If Amon refused and went at Aang with guns a blazin', then he would be sending a message to his supporters that he didn't have their best interests in mind and would quickly be debased and villified. If amon showed up, then he might have been forced into a peaceful resolution (but we all know that probably wouldn't have happenned). Either way, it seems like Aang would have handled the problem better than Korra did. Either way it would have proved that problems like that can be resolved peacefully and that Avatar society wasn't as stratified as Amon had made it out to be. But with Korra at the helm, she ended up debasing Amon, but she never proved the equalists wrong. Maybe Aang should have frozen himself in an iceberg for a little longer.

      Are you stating that Aang would work with Korra on the last line? It's not possible. Aang and Korra are the same people, making the avatar spirit can't be in two places at once. If you mean if Aang battle Amon with his friends or something, then I would not have made this reply. Just clarify a little bit!

        Loading editor
    • Interesting thought. I think Aang would be a bit more open to negotion but as for how he would handle the situation,no clue. I have a feeling that Noatak would focus on destroying Aang more than he did with Korra though because ultimately, Aang created Amon. 

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Alpha wrote:
      Interesting thought. I think Aang would be a bit more open to negotion but as for how he would handle the situation,no clue. I have a feeling that Noatak would focus on destroying Aang more than he did with Korra though because ultimately, Aang created Amon. 

      How did Aang create Amon? Amon's father was Yakone, and Yakone wsa Aang's enemy. I'm not sure if you're saying if Aang drove Yakone to tell Amon to make the equalists or something, but clarify please??

        Loading editor
    • Well, Aang beat Yakone and removed his bending, which drove Yakone to mold his sons the way he did and start Noatak on the path to being Amon. 

        Loading editor
    • Ok :D

        Loading editor
    • Amon would've swayed Suki over to his side and Sokka would've had to deal with her.

        Loading editor
    • I doubt Suki would betray Sokka.

        Loading editor
    • I honestly see Sokka as being swayed more easily.

        Loading editor
    • Sokka's smart enough to know what he's gone, but Suki would be easier to sway because of her unknown backstory.

        Loading editor
    • I find that more likely, though he has said he prefers not having bending.

        Loading editor
    • I find if Suki's parents were killed during the war, and Amon explaining to her that Bending is what causes war and devastation. Its the innate ability to bend is what gave the Fire Nation the right to invade and conquer for their own gain.

        Loading editor
    • And knowing Sokka, He would've preferred having his friends, even if benders, because that's more important than any injustice bending has brought.

        Loading editor
    • Huge hole in that theory: Not only has Suki never demonstrated any anti-bender prejudice, & not only does she follow the teachings of Avatar Kyoshi, but she actually explains in the recent free comic that Avatar Kyoshi founded the settlement of Kyoshi by teaching victimized women how to defend themselves. Amon's Anti-Avatar platform would be a huge hurdle to convincing her to join him.

        Loading editor
    • But you know how Amon works.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, & it contradicts Suki's beliefs, as I just explained.

        Loading editor
    • You do realize Aang is more powerful than Korra, right? There's a YouTube video about it and everyone agrees that Aang is more powerful than Korra so if Korra can beat Amon so can Aang. 

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0k86bJVAWg

        Loading editor
    • Aang WAS elbowed into joining an aggressive task force, by General Fong.

      When did he join an aggressive taskforce?

      At no point did he try to reason with the Fire Nation

      Isn't that the first thing he does when he meets the Fire Lord?

      And toPowersOfAll123, Korra didn't beat Amon in a fight, and i believe no bender could do it(aside from AS, of course).

        Loading editor
    • Well, he was guilt-tripped into mastered the Avatar State before any of the elements to lead a direct strik against Ozai before he was ready. That's similar to Korra's problem.

        Loading editor
    • PowersOfAll123 wrote: You do realize Aang is more powerful than Korra, right? There's a YouTube video about it and everyone agrees that Aang is more powerful than Korra so if Korra can beat Amon so can Aang. 

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0k86bJVAWg

      I don't agree that Aang is more powerful than Korra, & the conclusion of this video rests on a set of increasingly arbitrary assumptions. That Korra can't remove bending despite taking energybending further than Aang ever did, that Aang could subdue her long enough to use the technique, that she would be unable to fight it because she feared losing her powers in Book 1.... People also tend to act like Korra is this big, slow moving target, but she's quite evasive herself.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe I'm biased because I saw LoK before I had seen ATLA in its entirety, but I don't agree that Aang is necessarily more powerful than Korra either. They are different in their fighting styles, with Aang being more evasive and Korra more aggressive, but I would actually say that (young) Aang and Korra are about equally skilled. 

      As for how well I think Aang would do against Amon...depends. Aang's greatest advantage is that he is an airbending master, and that airbending, due to its extreme rarity, is the one style that I think Amon would be ill-prepared to counter. On the other hand, Amon is an exponentially more skilled bloodbender than Hama, and quite possibly even more skilled than Yakone was. Aang before the encounter with Hama lacked mastery of the Avatar State(due to Azula's attack on him in Ba Sing Se, which locked his chakras), and the Avatar State is the only thing(other than the victim being a more powerful bloodbender than the attacker) than that's been shown effective in countering the effects of bloodbending, leaving him just as vulnerable to Amon's bloodbending as Korra was.

      So I think it could go either way. Aang's airbending gives him an edge, but he's still vulnerable to Amon's bloodbending, especially given that pre- the encounter with Hama they would not know what to expect, leaving him completely vulnerable to Amon's bloodbending.

        Loading editor
    • PowersOfAll123 wrote:
      You do realize Aang is more powerful than Korra, right? There's a YouTube video about it and everyone agrees that Aang is more powerful than Korra so if Korra can beat Amon so can Aang. 

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0k86bJVAWg

      I personally agree with you, but many people do not, since it's all speculation and opinion, so I don't think it's safe to say everyone agrees with you.

        Loading editor
    • As for me, I think Aang would win, but only after Sozin's Comet, where he mastered the Avatar State. However, if it was before the Gaang met Hama, I would say Aang would lose, unless all of the Gaang was fighting him, they might have a chance.

      When people fought Amon, they always fought him head on, and that was their downfall, because Amon just dodged all their techniques. But Aang's natural style is to dodge and evade, so he could throw Amon off guard. Plus, he has the four elements on his side, and finally he would have the Avatar State, which could block Amon's bloodbending.

      However, like I said before, in a one on one fight with Amon, before Aang met Hama, I think he would lose, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to accomplish what Korra did, namely, exposing him to the public.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, I think the stipulations of the thread are important to note here: While it says, "Aang vs. Amon," the post itself specifies that it's asking how Team Avatar I would deal with the Equalist threat as a whole. And, as it says, this is situated before Aang met Hama.

      I think that's a very important point, it's hardly fair to compare post-Book 3 Aang to Book 1 Korra. Obviously, if Team Avatar II had to fight Amon NOW, they would be much better prepared overall. Bolin now knows lavabending, Korra can control the Avatar State & Energybend, they have new allies, etc.

        Loading editor
    • We need to know how long before meeting Hama. Before Book 2 finale Aang could use the avatar as a defensive instinct and after the Guru he could control it if he saw Katara or the others in danger. I doubt he could reason with them because people with victim mentality never listen to others, and the equalists as a whole doesn't realy matter because revealing Amon's identity is what was needed to stop them, so as long as they could plan a fight that would he use his bending in front of others they would be good, and i believe they can do it. The only problem is, how would they know his identity? Would Tarrlok tell him the same way he told Korra, meaning he would have to deal with another bloodbender first?

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:

      PowersOfAll123 wrote: You do realize Aang is more powerful than Korra, right? There's a YouTube video about it and everyone agrees that Aang is more powerful than Korra so if Korra can beat Amon so can Aang. 

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0k86bJVAWg

      I don't agree that Aang is more powerful than Korra, & the conclusion of this video rests on a set of increasingly arbitrary assumptions. That Korra can't remove bending despite taking energybending further than Aang ever did, that Aang could subdue her long enough to use the technique, that she would be unable to fight it because she feared losing her powers in Book 1.... People also tend to act like Korra is this big, slow moving target, but she's quite evasive herself.

      We have no clue how far aang took energy bending, when korra astral projected that was due to effects of harmonic convergence amping her spiritual energy, She could bend spirit energy by book 4 but we still don't if aang couldn't do that

        Loading editor
    • You are technically correct, but given he never even learned metalbending, I think it's safe to assume we've seen the extent of his powers unless something new comes along to refute that.

        Loading editor
    • Korra didn't learn seismic sense or lightning redirection like aang did, so knowing a specific subset shouldn't determine how advanced one bends the elements / energy

        Loading editor
    • That's not the point, the implication is that Aang's training stopped at the end of Last Airbender. We haven't seen him learn any new techniques since. And given that we know he led an incredibly busy life, it's unlikely he was in a position to go to the Spirit World & practice energybending, if it ever even occurred to him.

      There's just no reason to suspect that he could do any of this.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      That's not the point, the implication is that Aang's training stopped at the end of Last Airbender. We haven't seen him learn any new techniques since. And given that we know he led an incredibly busy life, it's unlikely he was in a position to go to the Spirit World & practice energybending, if it ever even occurred to him.

      There's just no reason to suspect that he could do any of this.

      The thing is that you should suspect that he learned new things. If he didn't learn new things, he wouldn't have grown any better since SC. Toph, Katara, and Zuko said so themselves, in the beginning of SC, that he hadn't yet mastered all of the elements, so it's kinda implied that he would have learned new things since SC to the end of his life.

      I don't know this though, but I suspect he would have delved into energybending more too. Given that he's a curious and adventurous individual, I can assume, but this is just speculation, that he did learn more about energybending, or at least tried.

        Loading editor
    • I believe he would at least master the elements without all the rush.

        Loading editor
    • Lil Tinymouse wrote:

      Neo Bahamut wrote:
      That's not the point, the implication is that Aang's training stopped at the end of Last Airbender. We haven't seen him learn any new techniques since. And given that we know he led an incredibly busy life, it's unlikely he was in a position to go to the Spirit World & practice energybending, if it ever even occurred to him.

      There's just no reason to suspect that he could do any of this.

      The thing is that you should suspect that he learned new things. If he didn't learn new things, he wouldn't have grown any better since SC. Toph, Katara, and Zuko said so themselves, in the beginning of SC, that he hadn't yet mastered all of the elements, so it's kinda implied that he would have learned new things since SC to the end of his life.

      I don't know this though, but I suspect he would have delved into energybending more too. Given that he's a curious and adventurous individual, I can assume, but this is just speculation, that he did learn more about energybending, or at least tried.

      Guess what? This is the exact same argument that people made about Aang & metalbending, & it was wrong. The plausible explanation for this is that he was simply too busy to learn more techniques.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Lil Tinymouse wrote:


      Neo Bahamut wrote:
      That's not the point, the implication is that Aang's training stopped at the end of Last Airbender. We haven't seen him learn any new techniques since. And given that we know he led an incredibly busy life, it's unlikely he was in a position to go to the Spirit World & practice energybending, if it ever even occurred to him.

      There's just no reason to suspect that he could do any of this.

      The thing is that you should suspect that he learned new things. If he didn't learn new things, he wouldn't have grown any better since SC. Toph, Katara, and Zuko said so themselves, in the beginning of SC, that he hadn't yet mastered all of the elements, so it's kinda implied that he would have learned new things since SC to the end of his life.

      I don't know this though, but I suspect he would have delved into energybending more too. Given that he's a curious and adventurous individual, I can assume, but this is just speculation, that he did learn more about energybending, or at least tried.

      Guess what? This is the exact same argument that people made about Aang & metalbending, & it was wrong. The plausible explanation for this is that he was simply too busy to learn more techniques.

      Just because this argument was used for Aang and metalbending, doesn't mean that it will still be wrong with Aang and energybending. For one, earthbending was hard enough for Aang to learn, so it would probably be even harder for him to learn metalbending. There's nothing blocking him from learning more about energybending, in fact, he's a very spiritual person so it would make it even easier for him to learn energybending. Again, I'm not saying he will learn more about energybending, it's just a stronger possibility than metalbending.

      Edit: Also, nothing is to say that Aang didn't try to learn metalbending, but failed, in the same way nothing is to say Aang won't at least try to learn energybending.

        Loading editor
    • As you say, it's speculation, so it shouldn't really factor into these kinds of discussions. Unless, in the next Aang vs. Korra thread that comes up, I get to trot out a theoretical "Future Korra" with lava-blood-flight-lightning powers, without complaint.

        Loading editor
    • I actually am planning on having Korra learn the lightning subskills in my fanon, but that is exactly that - fanon.

      For the purpose of this discussion, the only thing I am taking into account are canonically established feats demonstrated in the series within the specific stipulations set out in the opening post, which is Amon vs. Aang circa before Team Avatar met Hama. Meaning no energybending for Aang, since he did not learn this until some time afterwards. Moreover, Aang pre- the encounter with Hama would have no knowledge of bloodbending either. Nor would he have the Avatar State to rely on, as this is after Azula attacked him in Ba Sing Se, meaning his chakras are blocked and he cannot go into the Avatar State.

      This gives Amon a huge advantage, because his bloodbending is not just how he is able to strip people of their bending, but also an integral part of how he fights. Conversely however, Aang is an airbending master, which gives him a significant advantage over Amon because it is highly unlikely that Amon would be as well-versed in countering airbending as he is in countering the other elements, making Aang an unpredictable opponent for him. That, and Aang's an unpredictable little bugger regardless :P

      Bottom line, as I said above: IMO, could go either way.

        Loading editor
    • I'm kind of tempted to write something about a flying Korra now, because that is awesome.

        Loading editor
    • I concede, this fight is about Aang vs Amon before he met Hama, in which case, I don't think he would win. However, I still believe Aang would delve more into energybending, which adds nothing to this discussion though, so...

        Loading editor
    • Plus aang is a distance nimble moving fighter the complete oppisite of korras brute force and close combat style. If aang could stay out of reach of his blood bending grip we know he can use his airbending from a far or from the air and still be effective, Id say 60-40 aang

      about korras flight i dont think she can because she has asami as an earthly tether

        Loading editor
    • No no no. Maybe Aang has an edge in evasion particularly at that point because Korra didn't know airbending yet, but Korra has cred for mobility. Look at the very first fight she's shown in, during her firebending test, she's pulling out some ridiculous agility feats and dancing around her opponents (who are Order of the White Lotus firebenders). Not even to touch on her bending augmented mobility (sans airbending at this point).

      Stay out of Amon's bloodbending grip range? Amon has a substantial range, even from when he was a child (able to control a pack of wolves that were sprinting away for several seconds from him with a decent lead distance and then levitating them back to himself and forcing them to bow before him). As an adult we also see him gripping people from across warehouse rooms and down long hallways with ease and in addition to his bending blocking and subtle bending to redirect attacks of his opponents without them even realizing it.

      Consider Aang himself, as a fully realized Avatar, got twisted up by Amon's dad, Yakone...along with an entire assembly hall full of people, when it was either known or highly suspected (hence the accusation in court and after deliberation, determining that they believed he was) that he was a bloodbender capable of bloodbending during the day and without a full moon. I'd also add that adult Toph (she's considerably more powerful in the LoK flashback than she was during say, ATLA book 2 finale) was gripped and totally helpless and she was probably the most powerful bender, physically strongest, and most determined (minus Avatar State) on the team, hence, most likely to be able to resist the grip, at the time we're taking Team Avatar from to face Amon.

      Could Katara break the bloodbending grip? Probably not. Korra (LoK book 1) is a more powerful waterbender than Katara (ATLA book 2) was, Korra had mastered waterbending, presumably for around 8 years at that point. Despite this, without bloodbending training and a full moon, she couldn't break Amon's grip until she pulls airbending out of nowhere and surprises him with some airblasts. And Amon is a better bloodbender than Hama and well within his physical prime.

      So, if the Avatar State is hypothetically out of the equation (which I'm not saying it would be) Amon would demolish Aang (and Korra (and all their friends)) if we also assume plot shielding will not be a factor (because he would have owned Korra and Mako yet again without plot shielding (and before it comes up again, yes, Aang had his fair share of plot shielding himself)).

      No plot shielding and no Avatar State, Aang and his friends from book two get wrecked.

      What would probably happen though is Aang would enter a defensive Avatar State and at that point he wipes the floor with Amon solo. Why I think he would enter the defensive state is because he would be worried about his friends (ie Katara) or maybe he'd be afraid Amon would kill him. I suspect that Korra didn't enter the defensive Avatar State because Amon was terrorizing her, but made it fairly clear he wasn't going to kill her...yet. Aang doesn't know this, unless we're playing it out as though he told Aang like he did Korra the same thing.

      Flight. That was incredibly ham fisted writing for why Zaheer got flight. That said, maybe for him, P'Li was an earthly tether, but Asami might not be so for Korra even though they're in a relationship. It's entirely possible to have a relationship without possessiveness in which those involved even help to enhance the others' spirituality and/or sense of freedom (very much unlike how Aang was toward Katara, at least, while they were young).

      As for Aang's continued study, I'd assume that he did. He probably did get better at energybending, he's clearly more comfortable with it on Yakone than he was on Ozai to boot. But, the thing is, without any feats to demonstrate this, it's nothing more than an assumption that he improved/became more powerful and to what degree.

        Loading editor
    • Weltall8000 wrote:
      So, if the Avatar State is hypothetically out of the equation (which I'm not saying it would be)

      Depending on at what point we're looking at Team Avatar, it very well could be. Hama turned up early in Book 3, after the fall of Ba Sing Se Book 3 episode 8, or episode 48 overall.

      So, f we assume it is early-Book-3 Team Avatar(circa episodes 41-47), the Avatar State is out of the equation from where I'm standing, because Azula blasting Aang in the back with Lightning locked his chakras and deprived him of his ability to enter the Avatar State - an ability he did not regain until he got slammed into a rock during the fight with Ozai. In this situation, it could go either way, but as soon as Amon starts to go all-out with his bloodbending, Aang is boned.

      IF, however, it is Team Avatar before the fall of Ba Sing Se, then the Avatar State is a wild card. Aang might enter it consciously, or he might not - in which case it would probably trigger automatically the way it did a number of times throughout Book 1 and 2, quite likely in response to Amon bloodbending him - at which point Amon's gonna get wrecked. 

        Loading editor
    • Either way, I accounted for it. If Avatar State, Aang wins. If no Avatar State, Amon wins.

      OP didn't specify whether it was pre or post Azula lightning, only that we're before encountering Hama. I stated that I was considering book two incarnations for sake of argument, at that point, Avatar State is on the table. If we're considering post lightning bolt, well, obviously that removes the Avatar State from the equation, and since I stipulated no plot shielding (so, no chakra unlocking rock spikes to the back mid fight), my position in such circumstances is that Aang loses.

      Prior to the book 3 finale, Aang couldn't consciously choose to enter it, so any Avatar State would be the;

      1) Spirit possession kind. Which should be a non issue here (no known angry spirits related to this situation. 

      2) Past Avatar possession type. Also should not be applicable, as it didn't happen for Korra and unlike Korra, kid Aang has no previous Avatar incarnations with history with the current opponent (Korra had adult Aang as a past life that dealt with Yakone). 

      3) Or defensive. This definitely could be the case for Aang, but wasn't with Korra, possibly due to explained reasons of Amon telling her he wasn't going to kill her...yet.

      But, sure, that's pretty much the scenario I envisioned.

        Loading editor
    • And you're absolutely right. Originally I didn't account for that myself, as I considered the scenario only from the point of view of Aang circa Ep41-47(early Book 3). Wasn't until you pointed it out that I even considered pre-Book 3 Aang at all. So thanks for that ;)

        Loading editor
    • Amon would have owned Korra? He did own her and only didn't kill them because he didn't want to. Twice.

        Loading editor
    • Note that I said:

      "...Amon would demolish Aang (and Korra (and all their friends)) if we also assume plot shielding will not be a factor (because he would have owned Korra and Mako yet again without plot shielding..."

      and I already brought up Korra being told by Amon that he didn't feel like killing her...yet, referencing when he had her captured under the Aang statue. 

      No semantical "correction" necessary.

        Loading editor
    • In that case i agree with pretty much everything you said.

        Loading editor
    • Amon would totally lose to Aang,even from childhood he knew that the avatar was the most powerfull bender of all times,aang defeated his father yakone and took away his bending,when aang and amon meet,amon would totally try to bloodbend him but aang will get into avatar state and destroy him. so dont talk so much ;)

        Loading editor
    • My arm is not long enough for the jerk off motion that is in my soul.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message