Fandom

Avatar Wiki

Sokka's True Love---Suki or Yue

  • In The Warriors of Kyoshi, Sokka was given a kiss from Suki.  In book 2, when traveling to Ba Sing Se, he was really happy to see her, and was excited when he heard she was coming to Ba Sing Se, (although it was Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai).  In book 3, he demanded to know where Azula had taken Suki, wasting their solar eclipse time, and then rescued her from the Boiling Rock prison.

    However, most of their love showed after book 1, since we didn't see or hear of Suki until The Serpent's Pass in book 2.  And in book 1, Sokka really seemed to love Princess Yue, since he was was very sad that she was already engaged, loved spending time with her, including protecting her during the siege of the northern water tribe, was sad when she said they couldn't spend time together even as friends, and was so depressed that she "died" and became the moon spirit.  His love for Yue was also shown in The Serpent's Pass, when Suki remarked that the full moon was beautiful, and Sokka became depressed.

    Sokka really loved Yue, and also got a kiss from her just like Suki, in her spirit form before disappearing in book 1. Also, Suki wasn't around for quite a while, letting Sokka have romantic feelings for another girl, Yue.

    If Princess Yue hadn't "died", been engaged, etc, and her father would have let Sokka marry her, who do you think Sokka would have chosen--Yue or Suki?

    Who do you think Sokka truly loved the most?

      Loading editor
    • Id have to say Suki as Sokka used the Solar Eclipse time, an very rare event to pursue where Suki was being kept rather than an way to stop the 100 year war. If he cared for Yue's life more he would of stopped her from sacraficing herself to become an Moon Spirit. I do kind of feel he loved Yue in an spiritual way after her sacrafice as she allowed his Water Tribe to continue using the Moon's power, but loved Suki physically/socially.

        Loading editor
    • Well, it would have been interesting to see Yue and Suki compete for Sokka's heart... Still, I get that feeling that Sokka and Suki were always meant for each other, while Sokka and Yue weren't.... Think about it!

        Loading editor
    • I feel he did love both. He loved Yue first (though he met Suki first) but i don't think he would've chosen her over Suki. Yue was his first love but first doesnt always mean only. So he did and always will love Yue but he he loves Suki now and he would choose Suki. If that makes sense.

        Loading editor
    • He loves Yue spiritually and Suki in an physical way

        Loading editor
    • I'm pretty sure Sokka would choose Suki since he knows her more than Yue. I personally would choose Suki if I was Sokka

        Loading editor
    • Yuei is dead and he preaty much barley knew her, so he moved on.

        Loading editor
    • In any case, Sokka had more in common with Suki (particularly their mutual interest in hand-to-hand combat), so I'm fairly certain that he would have ultimately chosen her, and Yue would understand...

        Loading editor
    • If Yue didn't die at the end of the first season, he would've chosen her because at that time he knew her more then Suki and by the time Suki came back into the picture he and Yue would've had a very close relationship.

        Loading editor
    • BUT, in the end, Sokka would have realized that he has more in common with Suki, and would have ultimatelly followed his heart... I can picture their possible break-up being similar to Mako and Korra's second one... 

        Loading editor
    • Suki and Sokka are in love so no matter the circumstance he would've ended up with Suki. They were meant to be with each other

        Loading editor
    • I don't know I think because we don't know what happened to Suki yet and whether her and Sokka were married or had kids etc. its hard to say.

      I think what we can say is that for the short amount of time that they were together that Yue was probably Sokka's first love. She wasn't mentioned all that often but when she was Sokka always looked sad. And the fact that he was balling through the Ember Island show says alot for how much she meant to him :') I love that there's a part of Republic City named Yue Bay you can't tell me that Sokka wasn't involved in that :P 

        Loading editor
    • They must have lived happaley ever after together.

        Loading editor
    • Yue was so bland as a character and, her sacrifice aside, was a very wimpy character who wouldn't even fight for Sokka after Katara showed it was possible for roles and traditions to be changed. He's better off with Suki. 

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Alpha wrote:
      Yue was so bland as a character and, her sacrifice aside, was a very wimpy character who wouldn't even fight for Sokka after Katara showed it was possible for roles and traditions to be changed. He's better off with Suki. 

      Roles and traditions have nothing to do with it what so ever. If you had said circumstances sure that would be fine.

      Yue was quite complex actually. She showed that although she wanted to be with Sokka, she was willing to sacrifice her happiness for the sake of keeping her father happy; and providing the people of the northern water tribe a bright future. That may have been wrong but it represents the real world for, not just young people, everyone on the planet that does things for other people's happiness over their own. That's not weak or wimpy in the slightest, it shows commitment, honor and strength in her choice, no matter what she wanted, and taking into consideration her final act she was quite courageous.

      I like Suki but seeing as Sokka won't even kiss her under a full moon let alone even told her the full story of Yue says alot. Its abit sad really :\

      Yue is definately a minor character but she is one of the more overlooked characters of the series that people just push aside without proper insight into her. 

        Loading editor
    • Cutting the Gordian Knot here.

      TOPH! I mean Come on! Just look at Sooyin and her Children! There is definitely some Water Tribe In there!

      Suyin
      Huan

      Sokka with Skrillex Hairstyle??

        Loading editor
    • RaidenRadio wrote:
      Cutting the Gordian Knot here.

      TOPH! I mean Come on! Just look at Sooyin and her Children! There is definitely some Water Tribe In there!

      Suyin
      Huan

      Sokka with Skrillex Hairstyle??

      Skrillex Sokka!!! I'm dying :'D

        Loading editor
    • With Yue was love at first sight. The wild stranger fascinated by the princess and vice-versa.

      The two have never really known each other, we do not know if the love would have lasted, but it was fixed in eternity by the loss of Yue.

      With Suki, they are more two friends who discovered that they like each other as more than friends. They have common interests, fought together, trust each other, and Suki actually likes even the weirdest aspects of Sokka's personality.

      To me they are best paired.

      But, for some reason, I don't see them as a stable couple.

      They have too many interests beyond themself. Suki as the leader of the Kyoshi Warriors, and Sokka as a Water Tribe - Repubblic City leader. I do not see either of them to adapt to follow the other to live a quiet family life (something that Yue could have done).

      They will always get along well togheter, but not for long periods.

        Loading editor
    • KaylaT wrote:
      RaidenRadio wrote:
      Cutting the Gordian Knot here.

      TOPH! I mean Come on! Just look at Sooyin and her Children! There is definitely some Water Tribe In there!

      Suyin
      Huan

      Sokka with Skrillex Hairstyle??

      Skrillex Sokka!!! I'm dying :'D

      There is some southern water tribe, but it is probably from suyins dad who is not sokka. Some suspect sokka's child is suyins husband, which could explain Skrillix sokka and giant dorra the explora.

        Loading editor
    • Thinklogic wrote: Id have to say Suki as Sokka used the Solar Eclipse time, an very rare event to pursue where Suki was being kept rather than an way to stop the 100 year war. If he cared for Yue's life more he would of stopped her from sacraficing herself to become an Moon Spirit.

      I totally agree with that. I think Yue's death made her relationship with Sokka the best it could be. If Yue wouldn't have died she would've been together with Sokka for maybe a couple of years, but eventually they would've broken up and Sokka would've been together with Suki, because they simply have more in common. But since Yue died the event of her and Sokka breaking up somewhere in the future won't happen and Sokka thinks, that he and Yue would've been together forever, if she wouldn't have died. I think that by the time of the Invasion, when Sokka tried to get Azula to tell him where she was keeping Suki, Sokka has already moved on from Yue as much as he'll ever be able to. But it's also shown that Sokka will never be able to move on from Yue completely; like when he wasn't able to kiss Suki beneath the full moon in "The Serpent Pass". However he was able to kiss Suki the next day during daytime without "Yue watching him." I think the main reasons for Sokka not being able to completely move on from Yue, are first that Yue was his first real love and second he felt guilty for not being able to protect her, like shown in "The Swamp" where Sokka saw a vision of Yue and the vision said "You didn't protect me." to Sokka.

        Loading editor
    • Mistystar31 wrote:
      In The Warriors of Kyoshi, Sokka was given a kiss from Suki.  In book 2, when traveling to Ba Sing Se, he was really happy to see her, and was excited when he heard she was coming to Ba Sing Se, (although it was Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai).  In book 3, he demanded to know where Azula had taken Suki, wasting their solar eclipse time, and then rescued her from the Boiling Rock prison.

      However, most of their love showed after book 1, since we didn't see or hear of Suki until The Serpent's Pass in book 2.  And in book 1, Sokka really seemed to love Princess Yue, since he was was very sad that she was already engaged, loved spending time with her, including protecting her during the siege of the northern water tribe, was sad when she said they couldn't spend time together even as friends, and was so depressed that she "died" and became the moon spirit.  His love for Yue was also shown in The Serpent's Pass, when Suki remarked that the full moon was beautiful, and Sokka became depressed.

      Sokka really loved Yue, and also got a kiss from her just like Suki, in her spirit form before disappearing in book 1. Also, Suki wasn't around for quite a while, letting Sokka have romantic feelings for another girl, Yue.

      If Princess Yue hadn't "died", been engaged, etc, and her father would have let Sokka marry her, who do you think Sokka would have chosen--Yue or Suki?

      Who do you think Sokka truly loved the most?

      i think that he would chose yue

        Loading editor
    • I think he loved them both the same. However, if Yue had not sacrifaced herself, then Sokka probably would have ended up with her IMO.

        Loading editor
    • He loves Yue. He loves Suki. What's wrong with him being with both of them?

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote: He loves Yue. He loves Suki. What's wrong with him being with both of them?

      Sounds like a volcanic love triangle.

        Loading editor
    • Not if both women were understanding. It's been known to happen before. A guy loves two ladies with equal affection, and they both care about him, and they find a way to make the relationship work.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote: He loves Yue. He loves Suki. What's wrong with him being with both of them?

      One of them is a vast, celestial body off in space, stuck in perpetual orbit around the earth.

      ...

      And the other one is Yue, hey-Ooooo!

        Loading editor
    • You didn't make any sense. You just used Yue and not Suki.

        Loading editor
    • Still doesn't make any sense.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote:
      Still doesn't make any sense.

      In the words of Wan Shi Tong: you're not very bright, are you?

        Loading editor
    • Oh, that's cold there. You used two reasons that related only to Yue. There was no indication that you were mentioning Suki at all. Look at your response and you'll understand.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote: One of them is a vast, celestial body off in space, stuck in perpetual orbit around the earth.

      ...

      And the other one is Yue, hey-Ooooo!

      To McJediProbie, Aggression25, and Neo Bahamut: In terms of the argument between Aggression25 and Neo Bahamut, Aggression25 is being quite smart, since Neo Bahamut is not making any sense. Neo did not mention Suki at all; Yue is the "vast, celestial body off in space" since she is now the moon spirit, so "the other one" is actually Suki, not Yue again!!! Also, that "Bait and Switch Comparison" page has nothing to do with who Sokka would choose, so there's another reason why Neo is not making sense; it was pointless for this discussion to have that link.

      Anyway, just drop that argument. This discussion board is about a conversation of which girl Sokka would choose as his woman, if Yue was still alive in the human world and she could have married Sokka instead, not about a fight over 1 person's comments.

        Loading editor
    • Bait & Switch Comparisons are a type of humor, the whole point & the way a joke works to begin with is that it sets you up to expect 1 thing, & then the punch line is something entirely different.

      This is what the TV Tropes page explains, & expecting it to mention Sokka is again completely missing the point. Rarely is the point of linking to a TV Tropes page to address a specific example ON that page, the point was for you to understand the trope itself.

      So no, you're not "being smart," what you're doing is equivalent to arguing against a knock-knock joke by going, "Why are you saying, 'knock-knock'? That's completely random, it doesn't make any sense." On the face of it, what you're saying is true, but it's a joke, you cannot "prove it wrong," & trying indicates that there's something you don't grasp about social situations.

      There's also the fact that comparing Suki to the moon could be construed as a double entendre for a fat joke, & yes I know she is thin, the point of bait & switch comedy is that it's insulting, not necessarily that it's true.

        Loading editor
    • Mistystar31 wrote:

      To McJediProbie, Aggression25, and Neo Bahamut: In terms of the argument between Aggression25 and Neo Bahamut, Aggression25 is being quite smart, since Neo Bahamut is not making any sense. Neo did not mention Suki at all; Yue is the "vast, celestial body off in space" since she is now the moon spirit, so "the other one" is actually Suki, not Yue again!!! Also, that "Bait and Switch Comparison" page has nothing to do with who Sokka would choose, so there's another reason why Neo is not making sense; it was pointless for this discussion to have that link.

      Anyway, just drop that argument. This discussion board is about a conversation of which girl Sokka would choose as his woman, if Yue was still alive in the human world and she could have married Sokka instead, not about a fight over 1 person's comments.

      Looks like someone else isn't that bright either...certainly not as bright as vast celestial body off in space.  

      Seriously, was I the only one who actually understood that Neo's comment was a joke? Not a particularly hilarious, ROFL-type joke, but at least deserving of an amused snort--the type of joke Sokka would appreciate. 

        Loading editor
    • Whichever way it's preferred, any one person can have two loves of equal affection.

        Loading editor
    • McJediProbie wrote:
      Mistystar31 wrote:

      To McJediProbie, Aggression25, and Neo Bahamut: In terms of the argument between Aggression25 and Neo Bahamut, Aggression25 is being quite smart, since Neo Bahamut is not making any sense. Neo did not mention Suki at all; Yue is the "vast, celestial body off in space" since she is now the moon spirit, so "the other one" is actually Suki, not Yue again!!! Also, that "Bait and Switch Comparison" page has nothing to do with who Sokka would choose, so there's another reason why Neo is not making sense; it was pointless for this discussion to have that link.

      Anyway, just drop that argument. This discussion board is about a conversation of which girl Sokka would choose as his woman, if Yue was still alive in the human world and she could have married Sokka instead, not about a fight over 1 person's comments.

      Looks like someone else isn't that bright either...certainly not as bright as vast celestial body off in space.  

      Seriously, was I the only one who actually understood that Neo's comment was a joke? Not a particularly hilarious, ROFL-type joke, but at least deserving of an amused snort--the type of joke Sokka would appreciate. 

      I saw it as a joke, but I'm just struggling to completely understand it ;|

        Loading editor
    • No shame in trying to understand something that doesn't seem to make much sense to oneself.

        Loading editor
    • That's a really hard question. I think it was a mini crush for someone new,(maybe like Katara and Jet? I didn't really understand what was going on between them) that got bigger and stronger, but I don't think they would fit together like he and Suki.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote:
      No shame in trying to understand something that doesn't seem to make much sense to oneself.

      Thank you :-). If that was directed at me, at least xD.

        Loading editor
    • Pokenerd2267 wrote:

      Aggression25 wrote:
      No shame in trying to understand something that doesn't seem to make much sense to oneself.

      Thank you :-). If that was directed at me, at least xD.

      Oh, it was directed to you, but it was also for others that try to comprehend what doesn't seem comprehensible. 🤘👍✌️

        Loading editor
    • really need to start reading the books!!!

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote: He loves Yue. He loves Suki. What's wrong with him being with both of them?

      Avatar isn't the kind of show where that kind of thing happens; sooner or later, he would have been expected to choose one of them, especially given Yue's position in life.

        Loading editor
    • Suki

        Loading editor
    • Zuko

        Loading editor
    • NervousShipper wrote: Zuko

      What are you talking about? Zuko's got nothing to do with this.

        Loading editor
    • He has as much chance with Sokka as he has with Katara.

        Loading editor
    • I think that Sokka still loves Yue, and hasn't quite gotten over her yet. For example, he won't kiss Suki underneath the light of the moon, and also gets a little depressed whenever the moon is mentioned. But I also think that, because of the circumstances, he and Suki are a pretty good match for each other.

        Loading editor
    • I feel bad for Suki, her boyfriend can't get over someone he knew for a day for her.

        Loading editor
    • NervousShipper wrote: I feel bad for Suki, her boyfriend can't get over someone he knew for a day for her.

      I don't think Sokka and Yue only knew each other for a day. I think they actually stayed there for a couple weeks at least.

        Loading editor
    • Personally, I think if Yue hadn't of died, Sokka probably would have stayed with her. At the point of him leaving Kiyoshi island, there was no 100% garentee that they (Sokka and Suki) would ever actually meet up again, and I think at that time, they only did think of eachother as friends; friends can have a lot in common too. Yes, she kissed his cheek, but I think at the time it didn't really mean much of anything.

      Now, I can't say whether or not Sokka and Yue's relationship would have lasted for all eternity; it's hard to say. Maybe they did eventually decide to go their seperate ways. Or maybe it all worked out and they stayed together. Because of Yue's death, it's difficult to say how they would have ended up. Not to mention, if Yue had still been alive, the feelings would continue to grow, which makes me feel like it would have been a lot harder for him to move on, and move on directly to Suki at that. Maybe at that point of time another female would have come into the picture instead. The whole idea of if-Yue-didnt-die makes the whole scenario a little more complex, because there's so many new paths the relationship (including Suki) could go.

      Those are just my thoughts on the matter I suppose.

        Loading editor
      • hadn't have
        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.