FANDOM


  • The forums seem to be full of hatred towards the character Mako

    Id like to compile reasons why hes disliked so much. My only reason for disliking him personally is he is rather serious and dull yet still gets more love than his fun caring younger brother

    What are yours? Or do you oppose this and think hes one of the most popular?

      Loading editor
    • I don't hate him, actually, but I do think that he does have shaping up to do. Unfortunately, however, I would say that he is a victim of his circumstances more than anything else. Most people don't like him, because there's always teenage drama and pathetic attempts at romance when he's around, followed by extrmee jealousy and Korra and Asami both holding catty feelings toward him. This is not his fault, however. The girls in both situations tend to come onto him first. However, I think that his fault here is that he should step away from the drama completley and friendzone the both of them until he is ready to get on stable grounds with them both. Unfortunately, Mako's major roles occur when there's teenage drama with the whole love triangle of him, Asami, and Korra. It seems that he can never get a major role with the whole Team Avatar without some drama unleashing within a day or two. I think that it's time to show Mako's ability as a good friend and brother, rather than as a flirty boy who comes off as a douche due to acting on girls being attracted to him. I do not hate Mako, but I feel that more parts of his personality could be explored than his romance with girls. It's time to explore Mako's past and how it shaped him as a person and go in depth with his and Bolin's relationship. So, in total, I don't hate Mako, but I do feel that more complexity could be added to his character.

        Loading editor
    • TarrlokUltimateWaterbender wrote:
      I don't hate him, actually, but I do think that he does have shaping up to do. Unfortunately, however, I would say that he is a victim of his circumstances more than anything else. Most people don't like him, because there's always teenage drama and pathetic attempts at romance when he's around, followed by extrmee jealousy and Korra and Asami both holding catty feelings toward him. This is not his fault, however. The girls in both situations tend to come onto him first. However, I think that his fault here is that he should step away from the drama completley and friendzone the both of them until he is ready to get on stable grounds with them both. Unfortunately, Mako's major roles occur when there's teenage drama with the whole love triangle of him, Asami, and Korra. It seems that he can never get a major role with the whole Team Avatar without some drama unleashing within a day or two. I think that it's time to show Mako's ability as a good friend and brother, rather than as a flirty boy who comes off as a douche due to acting on girls being attracted to him. I do not hate Mako, but I feel that more parts of his personality could be explored than his romance with girls. It's time to explore Mako's past and how it shaped him as a person and go in depth with his and Bolin's relationship. So, in total, I don't hate Mako, but I do feel that more complexity could be added to his character.

      I agree with everything you said Tarrlok.

      I hope that the third season brings in the firebender who killed their parents; perhaps since the Agni Kai's were involved with Season 2 maybe having the triads be in season 3.

      Having Mako and Bolin's parents murderer be involved with that gang and having both Mako and Bolin gain character development.

        Loading editor
    • At first I had good hopes for Mako. He seemed like a very serious, confident, hard-to-impress kinda guy. Finally, a firebender who got things together emotionally, I thought. And then... well, you all know how fast he changed into something completely different. O_o

        Loading editor
    • Mako started out good but after the ending scene in "A leaf in the Wind" I saw where the plot was going and it spiraled from there. It kind of bothered me that they really pushed a little too hard to put Mako and Korra together. Then they added Asami and brought an entirely new and maybe unnecessary dynamic to the group with the love triangle. It may have been good to play it for laughs but it just got out of hand by Book Two.

      Character-wise, Mako seemed very indecisive when it came to romance in the first book. By the second after he broke up with Korra his character seemed to get the limelight mid-season and to me he was at his most tolerable, my favorite point was in "The Sting". But when Korra came back and he not only lied to her, and then betrayed Asami's trust again I was kind of done with the character.

        Loading editor
    • You should probally blame that plot point about Korra "forgetting" about the breakup more than about Mako. 

        Loading editor
    • He's what...17, maybe 18? Didn't have parents guiding him into manhood. Grows up in almost absolute poverty, turns to crime to survive and doesn't know how to fend off the temptations of immediate gratification. Turns out making douche decisions. Not surprised. Yeah, everybody knows better but there really is a place of disconnect between knowing what's right and knowing how to do what's right. 

        Loading editor
    • Snarky-O'Snapper wrote:
      He's what...17, maybe 18? Didn't have parents guiding him into manhood. Grows up in almost absolute poverty, turns to crime to survive and doesn't know how to fend off the temptations of immediate gratification. Turns out making douche decisions. Not surprised. Yeah, everybody knows better but there really is a place of disconnect between knowing what's right and knowing how to do what's right. 

      Finally someone speaking sense. Mako is 18 btw.

        Loading editor
    • Aw shucks, thanks!

        Loading editor
    • Your welcome.

        Loading editor
    • I hated him at first, now I want his life to end saving someone else to protect them, heroicly.

        Loading editor
    • I don't hate Mako, but my problem with ihs cahracter is the development that it is receiving.

      Let's all take an honest close look at Mako. Look at his past. Since a young age, his aprents had gotten killed and he had to look after his two years younger brother. There is so much character development that can be used from that. Think about it: they can easily show how it has affected him, the decisions that he has made, how he now views the world around him, etc. Unfortunately, however, the only emotions that they touch when they let Mako take the wheel in driving the story is his redundantly conflicted emotions on Korra and Asami and how his cop duties affect his romantic life. It would be nice if they could clue us in on Mako's and Bolin's thoughts and how their family pasts have affected them. Zuko and Azula, Sokka and Katara, and Noatak and Tarrlok were all exquisitely elaborated and developed in terms of their pasts and backgrounds and how it had come to affect them; I would really like some emotional insight on Mako, rather than this redundant teenage drama. Not too much exposure to the point of annoyance where all that we hear is complaining, but it would be nice for us to see a different side to Mako than the player and strict older brother and a different angle on Bolin than the idiot younger brother who fails at impressing girls to whom he's attracted. They're trying to hard to make them like "normal" modern day teenagers in my opinion, which is a very bad idea.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not exactly sure if they are supposed to be strictly teenager characters. They did put Mako through the whole police side story to show that he's at least competent in that regard. There is the definite lack of experience from both him and his brother. Both brothers even had rather rushed relationships with no previous experience that we know of. 

      It's more like how the relationships and writing went that seemed to be very reminiscent of those teenager moments. Without those 'romances', I think we would have a very different opinion of the two brothers.

        Loading editor
    • since mako is now officially a detective on the RCPD, i think we can officially consider him an "adult".

        Loading editor
    • About time to write him out. But I suppose he's going to take a leave of absence so he eventually becomes Chief of Police after helping Lin during her troubles.

        Loading editor
    • nah, we need team avatar all together. why do you say he'll become chief of police?

        Loading editor
    • (^Dang right we do!)

      But...but...but...Lin. Surely they wouldn't do away with Lin. Bryke wouldn't do that to us, right?

      Please tell me this isn't confirmed.

        Loading editor
    • Snarky-O'Snapper wrote:
      Please tell me this isn't confirmed.

      It isn't.  ; )

        Loading editor
    • (collapses with relief)

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      nah, we need team avatar all together. why do you say he'll become chief of police?

      At this point I'm not certain that the writers will go in any other direction for the character. From rookie to investigator, there's nowhere else for him to go but chief. That or he gets fired and becomes a private eye (which I'd prefer).

        Loading editor
    • In the S3 trailer I dont recall seeing Mako go on this world trip to help out with changes so he will probably lack significance

        Loading editor
    • Depends on the english trailer and what the actual show contains. There were plenty of opportunities for him to bow out in book 2. Instead we get an entire episode for Mako and the RC crew.

        Loading editor
    • Well there is a whole Blog dedicated to explaining why Mako is Desliked called "Lets Rost Mako" which makes excellent points on the topic. However long story short it sums it down to Mako being the Creators Pet so to speak. Lets Roast Mako is worth reading through as it gives constructive critisizm of pretty much all the characters (As opposed to what the name suggests) and is worth the read.

        Loading editor
    • Let's take a quick look at Mako's track record why don't we:

      • Book 1 (not as bad as Book 2):
        • Becomes furious at Korra, threatening to end their friendship because she accused Hiroshi of being an Equalist - turns out Hiroshi was an Equalist.
        • On separate occasions, gives both Korra and Asami false hope about his will to have a meaningful relationship with them.
      • Book 2:
        • Again refuses to support his now girlfriend, Korra, who is convinced that her uncle must be stopped and that the United Republic ought to help the Southern Water Tribe oust the intruding Northern Troops. Instead Mako focuses on his own investigation of Varrick - turns out Unalaq threatens to bring about 10,000 years of darkness, while Varrick is just a greedy businessman
        • Proves himself right about Varrick, thereby successfully locking up the man who would have secured the support of the United Forces for the SWT to combat Unalaq a.k.a. the Dark Avatar
        • Leads Asami on, yet again, only to then lie to Korra and break Asami's heart for the second time.

      You would think that he would have learned to trust the Avatar's instinct from Book 1, or at least learned not to mess around with Asami and Korra at the same time. Oh well, "live and learn"...or, I guess for Mako it's just "live".

      However, for some reason, every time there's a fight scene with Mako, I forget my contempt toward him, because he at least knows how to throw down when he needs to.

        Loading editor
    • Vendall wrote:
      Well there is a whole Blog dedicated to explaining why Mako is Desliked called "Lets Rost Mako" which makes excellent points on the topic. However long story short it sums it down to Mako being the Creators Pet so to speak. Lets Roast Mako is worth reading through as it gives constructive critisizm of pretty much all the characters (As opposed to what the name suggests) and is worth the read.

      I wouldn't consider that blog worth anyone's time...the amount of actually valid criticisms or points about any of the stuff from the show (because it's not a blog just about Mako despite that being part of the name) are extremely few and far between. Everything I've seen about that blog is pretty much just finding excuses to hate the show and bashing everything about it and Bryke and all of the other writers as well. All that blog has ever had to say is some form of attack leveled at the show and never a positive thing to say about it.

        Loading editor
    • Hi

        Loading editor
    • They should know that better than Korra and Asami become girlfriends and starting a new relationship after the moron of the Mako simultaneously cheated and is not the first time I see such cases, I saw in adventure time when princess flame breaks up with Finn or regular show when Margaret breaks up with Mordecai and even reunited with CJ and the possibility of being boyfriends, so let me explain how it was that in the two previous books the two girls broke with but is now the great opportunity this time in book 3 Korra and Asami fall in love and that really going to happen.

        Loading editor
    • By Nickelodeans nature, humour tends to win over in most cases and stay away from what may anger fans, such as an lesbian relationship

      My best guess, since all relationships turned to crap, Korra and Bolin would be back together since their first date went well, while all other relationship matters fell for the worst

      In fact when you think about it, if Korra wasnt interested in Mako in S1, she'd never kiss Mako in the first place, keeping Bolin and Korra together plus Mako wouldnt have cheated on Asami by kissing Korra, so their relationship would still be intact

        Loading editor
    • Yes but I understand that strong relationships are the worst, since the end of book 1 finished Makorra hate the couple but thanks to watch on TV when Princess Flame ends with Finn as Margaret ends with Mordecai and that gave me strengths and overcome to see book 2 and I was glad when Korra ends his relationship with Mako as it did the right thing, but still must start korrasami in book 3 and if possible to happen because I saw the episode of good luck charlie when two women appear with a child.

        Loading editor
    • Adventure Time and LoK are two completely different shows and two completely different networks. One looks innocent at first glance but has more mature setting and characters. The other looks mature but plays it safe and doesn't go as deep.

      Adding a single moment with just Korra and Asami would be a big step above books 1 and 2 combined. You need more than that for a deeper friendship.

        Loading editor
    • The fact that Mako's entire character arc revolved around love triangle drama (when the way they introduced him indicated otherwise) was always one of my main critiques against Mako's character. They could have gone a number of ways with his character with aspects and plot points already established before the love triangle took hold (orphaned with his brother on the streets, being a former gang member, being forced to be a caretaker at a young age, maybe resenting the fact that his parents were killed by a firebender and he's also a firebender but had no choice but to embrace it to keep him and his brother alive on the streets, etc) but instead they tack on this unnecessary love triangle arc and entangle the vast majority of Mako's character around his relationships with Korra and Asami.....

      For me it's one of the main reasons why Book 1 (and to a lesser extent Book 2) is so hard to watch even in light of knowing about how the show ends. It's a point I go back and forth on....while I do appreciate that after Book 2 his character didn't center around the love triangle from hell, it still becomes readily apparent that the show wasted far too much of its time on the love triangle and without it Mako doesn't really have anything else to work with (even though he could have had and by all accounts should have had....).


      Now that the show's over I can honestly say that I don't really "hate" Mako so much as just being completely disappointed with the direction they insisted on taking his character. Doesn't really help that I personally hate love triangles with an unrivaled passion so...they're just irritating, distracting and usually pointless, and are notorious for shoving drama in a work where it isn't really necessary. The pairing the writers want to happen is usually already obvious long before the reveal so for me it begs the question: Why waste time on the teen drama surrounding the obvious pairing when that time could have been better spent selling the audience on the intended paring on its own?

        Loading editor
    • "Hate" is an overly strong word.  He never received the sort of vitriol that was aimed at Asami and even Korra by the fandom.

      The reason that I disliked him in the first half of the series was because—as explained by HolyDragon2808 above—he was little more than a drama spring.  The narrative pretty much pointed at him and said "you should sympathize with this guy and root for Korra to get with him!" but didn't really try to show us why.  He didn't really become much of a character until Book 3, when he stopped being a potential love interest; even then, he remained fairly inchoate.  Just kind of there for other characters to play off of.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:
      "Hate" is an overly strong word.  He never received the sort of vitriol that was aimed at Asami and even Korra by the fandom.

      The reason that I disliked him in the first half of the series was because—as explained by HolyDragon2808 above—he was little more than a drama spring.  The narrative pretty much pointed at him and said "you should sympathize with this guy and root for Korra to get with him!" but didn't really try to show us whyHe didn't really become much of a character until Book 3, when he stopped being a potential love interest; even then, he remained fairly inchoate.  Just kind of there for other characters to play off of.

      That bold part is something I hope we see less of from him (assuming we get more TLoK comic books beyond Turf Wars). If they work in the Fire Nation and Mako ends up paired with the princess, I hope they can help each other grow rather than him just being a sounding board for her character. It could be a chance to give more depth to Mako as well as letting the audience learn more about the princess as a character in her own right too.

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message