Fandom

Avatar Wiki

Other sub-bending; lava, plant, etc

  • Though we have seen the lava in a past-life Avatar (Roku) I would like to see at least Korra develop it, though we may not see that again until the next fire Avatar. The plant bending, of course, we have seen in the TLA in the swamp and the puppetmaster episodes. I would highly enjoy seeing more outlets of the four primary bendings. Yet, I believe we'll see something more along the lines of spriit/benders/non-benders aspects happening. 

      Loading editor
    • To add, I would like to see some more on firebenders having developed the ability to have varying colors of fire.

        Loading editor
    • to add, I think it would be really cool to have some type of waterbending assassin who bent acid.

        Loading editor
    • Still hoping for soundbending to be revealed for airbending. We know at least one of the remaining Air Nomads, Jinora, is at least roughly familiar with the science of sound, at least how it pertains to radios, and music seems to calm angry spirits, which could be useful if the immigrant spirits pouring through the polar portals get worked up over the industrial revolution. Plus an offensive Black Canary esque scream or clandestine sound redirection could come in handy here or there.

        Loading editor
    • soungbending was used in book one air chapter ten turning the tides when meelo started fartbending a mix of sound and sceantbending. not to mention that earthbenders could also develop plantbending being made of water and earth. not to mention that humans and spirits could always marry and create some kind of crossbreed.

        Loading editor
    • an airbender can't "scentbend". the fartbending is about as close as you'll get to that, but that had nothing to do with soundbending. meelo was just focusing his fart into the equalists' faces, he wasn't creating a fart that wasn't already there. an example of soundbending can be seen in "tales of BSS" when aang amplifies his bison whistle so it could be heard across the city. another example is in "the firebending masters" when aang amplifies his call for help.

      pro-tip: type your reply in source mode for spell-check. (click the [ ] button at the bottom of the reply box; the left-most one)

        Loading editor
    • I don't think spirits will be able to marry and cross bread. getting married is possible but a human and a spirit cannot be connected because the spirit would kill the human. Humans might be able to learn new techniques from spirits but would not be able to merge bodies completely. The only way the avatar and anti-avatar were able to have spirits is with the harmonic convergence which wont be around for another 10,000 years.

        Loading editor
    • what I meant was a human and spirit got married and had a baby and human and spirit are both dominant traits so with codoninance you get the result of blending which is where I get the idea of the crossbreed and I knew that aang had soundbended in tales of BSS and in the firebending masters. And as for the crossbreed thing I never said anything about merging all I said was they marry have sex and have a baby.

        Loading editor
    • Okay so back to the original topic (which has somehow turned into a topic of crossbreeding) . . .

      Yeh, I totally think it would be cool if we saw some more variations that were used in ATLA used in LOK and some more new and original variations born in LOK. Though you cant deny that lots of old variations have been reused in LOK: healing, bloodbending, metalbending, seismic sense and lightning generation. Their have also been a few new variations created: spirit manipulation (which uses waterbending) it was created by Unalaq) and fartbending (which uses airbending) it was created by Meelo). We have also been lucky enough to see energybending again (which isn't a varation, but I thought that I'd mention it anyway).

      While that has been said, it would be nice to see more of the variations that we haven't seen much of yet use in LOK. I would love to see some more sandbending, cloudbending, lavabending, sweatbending (because it's useful), mudbending, plant manipulation and many other littleused and mentioned variations used in the up coming LOK books/seasons.

        Loading editor
    • sweatbending is just waterbending with your sweat it is no sub skilland cloud bending needs an airbender and a waterbender so tenzin or one of his kids has to do it with Korra.

        Loading editor
    • I have wondered how the first Airbenders were allowed to float on clouds (in the Raava era). We see them riding them. Maybe they manipulate the air around a cloud making it move. Airbenders wont be able to transform clouds into water, that would require a Waterbender. I would love to see sound bending, if it is possible.

        Loading editor
    • I think the cloud riding thing was more of a stylistic kind of thing, as all airbending during Beginnings has a very cloudy look to it. Chances are they were using a technique similar to the air scooter, as actual clouds can't support any weight.

        Loading editor
    • Here's a possible special technique for air benders, I thought that since people breath air and there's air in people's lungs maybe air benders could bend the air with in people causing suffocation or their lungs to explode by increasing the air pressure in there lungs. It's pretty gruesome but I like this theroy but it probably will never happen due to the fact that air benders are pacifistic and non violent

        Loading editor
    • I was thinking the same thing. They may have the most potential out of any bender but live in moderation. I always thought they would be able to levitate people or manipulate the air around people. Maybe have some type of "Force" that they can use. I do think air has the most potential out any element, maybe that's why only monks posses this power.

        Loading editor
    • I am quite certain that suffocation is already an airbending technique though it would be forbidden

        Loading editor
    • I've always liked the idea of airbenders manipulating the moisture in the air do they could make it rain. Not like water bending, but the could make it rain to say, get water to drink or for a water bender to bend in a desert or something

        Loading editor
    • one idea I have been playing with around with, could an earthbender effect bone? in himself and others... strengthing his own bone, even mending them to when they break.  

        Loading editor
    • Considering bone is neither earth nor earth like, rather living tissue, I doubt it. Its a similar principle to why they can't bend wood.

        Loading editor
    • What would be cool was if fire benders could overheat you without showing it was them and kill people when it was looking like a fever killed them. Also, when aang blows his whistle loudly, it's not sound bending. He's just blowing a lot of air using his airbending enhanced breath.

        Loading editor
    • A fire bending technique I thought of is to heat fire to such a high temperature to create some type of laser or heat ray kind of like vaatus hyper beams but not purple also since fire is energy the theory is somewhat more plausible than A giant flatworm kite spirit shooting fricken laser beams out of his head!

        Loading editor
    • bonebending could be possible because the bones have minerals which are earth and may be bendable but only the deranged would practice that art. I'm pretty sure each element has it's own deadly sub-skill to even out bloodbending like shadowbending that would be an amazing sub-skill for bot air and earth (shadows are on earth and are cast from the air) suffocation for air. But what deadly sub-skill for firebending? besides combustion isn't too dangerous if you're careful.

        Loading editor
    • Likely rising an opponents body temperature to the point they catch fire

        Loading editor
    • Fire bending could also have a form of smoke or ash. even though smoke has air and some burning material, it could be used to blind an opponent or suffocate

        Loading editor
    • God, people airbenders cannot manipulate air they didn't make. Also, waterbenders can move clouds and they don't necessarily need help from airbenders, maybe if they are weak. Shadowbending, for airbenders, really? Bones can't be bent by earthbenders guys. I will put a list for all the sub-elements:

      Earth: metal, mud, seismic sense, and lava(although some people don't think so)

      Fire: lightning, redirection(some people don't cosider it but i do), and lava

      Water: plant, blood, ice, steam, healing, mud, and that thing Unalaq does.

      Air: air

        Loading editor
    • Although, as a big airbending fan, I've come up with a few ideas with air sub-elements

      Sound bending: ventriloquism but more extensive and the ability to deafen

      Light bending: if sound bending can happen, then light bending can happen at an even smaller scale (this one tricky, it might be part of fire instead. It's all in the way you look at it)

      Void creation: sucking all the air from a place causing everything around it to be sucked to that place, not destroyed just moved

      Also, this isn't sub bending because it's still air but sucking air out of people's lungs to knock them out

        Loading editor
    • I think lava is an avatar level skill so it's hard to tell whether it's fire or earth. Likely a mix just for the avatar

        Loading editor
    • Did you know: if you tried the whole sucking air out of people lung's technique people can just move their head in another direction or even close their mouths, put their hands over their mouth. I'm sorry but this skill would not be lethal.

        Loading editor
    • You do realize that the force of air required to strip oxygen from a persons lungs would be enough to keep their mouth open while performering the technique and also air can be sucked out through the nose. By putting hands over your mouth still let's air escape but the point is no oxagen is entering your lungs and all the air is being pushed out like a vacuum which is indeed deadly

        Loading editor
    • I think suffocation would be to graphic for the show... could always have it in a fanon if you're desperate

        Loading editor
    • I could see an Airbender controling an airless zone by ripping all the breathable air out... this would knock a person out.  and to the lava thing I think it is both earth and fire... remember the whole mud bending toph and katara did, same but different

        Loading editor
    • ^ if the airbender did that he would also knock himslef out. Also @Thebridge14 rember in the omashu episode when azula cuts the air when aang throws an air lash, exactly, someone could just put their hand over the air vent and breathe afterwards. I am going to admit this skill would be deadly, but tooooooooo slow and too blockable.

        Loading editor
    • Layton224 wrote: I could see an Airbender controling an airless zone by ripping all the breathable air out... this would knock a person out.  and to the lava thing I think it is both earth and fire... remember the whole mud bending toph and katara did, same but different

      The lava bending is an Avatar only skill. As for mud bending, I don't know. Like you said, probably a combo move like cloud bending.

        Loading editor
    • @Yerbyrico: just suck all the air out in like a 5 foot radius, then they can't breathe.

        Loading editor
    • @SlowReader Cloudbending can be done by waterbenders without help of airbenders if they have passed and amateur level. @DudeRandom, the bender can just run into your air bubble plus airbenders can't just take oxygen particles off the air, so it wouldn't work.

        Loading editor
    • No, just move ALL the air and create a vacuum

        Loading editor
    • Now we're mixing science with a bending... this is a new layer of complicated...

        Loading editor
    • Science is highly irrelevant in the Avatar world. and you cant just eliminate air. Oxygen always has to be present on a planet. But IFan air bender could take all the actual air out of a 5 foot radius then the person would die. Its like someone traveling into space they would explode because the internal pressure is higher than the external pressure. IF the air bender took the air out of a person then he would colapse because their body is roughly 60% air(oxygen) and nothing is to support their body. 

        Loading editor
    • I always knew that science was irrelevant in the world of avatar but COME ON!

        Loading editor
    • But if you returned the air immediately after, they are just hurt.

        Loading editor
    • @Yerbyrico yeah I forgot about that episode, I haven't seen that fight between azula and aang in omashu in years

        Loading editor
    • @Thebridge14 don't worry i had also forgotten but then remembered. Also someone deleted the photo so i'm uploading it again, here it is:

        Loading editor
    • Still deleted

        Loading editor
    • I saw it but now it's gone

        Loading editor
    • @Yerbyrico thanks for trying to upload just found the clip on YouTube

        Loading editor
    • Something else I just wondered was what raavas powers actually are we know that vaatu can shoot hyper beams control spirit vines and that his human host can use these abilities as well. So now that raava is at full size maybye she has some abilities that can be used through korras body

        Loading editor
    • Possibly, but bigger doesn't mean better...

        Loading editor
    • raava and vaatu have basically identical powers with the exception of ho raava carries all four elements.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      bonebending could be possible because the bones have minerals which are earth and may be bendable but only the deranged would practice that art. I'm pretty sure each element has it's own deadly sub-skill to even out bloodbending like shadowbending that would be an amazing sub-skill for bot air and earth (shadows are on earth and are cast from the air) suffocation for air. But what deadly sub-skill for firebending? besides combustion isn't too dangerous if you're careful.

      Combustion isn't too dangerous if you're careful? You're a casualty so long as your in the user's field of vision! Why do you think Team Aang had such a hard time fighting him at the Western Air Temple? To be honest, if Sokka didn't have his boomerang (the only weapon really capable of hitting Combustion Man from an angle), Team Aang would have been killed! 

      Even a bloodbender would lose in a fight with a combustion bender if they aren't fast enough to redirect the user's line of sight!

        Loading editor
    • Layton224 wrote:
      I could see an Airbender controling an airless zone by ripping all the breathable air out... this would knock a person out.  and to the lava thing I think it is both earth and fire... remember the whole mud bending toph and katara did, same but different

      Creating an airless zone around a person's body would do a lot more than just knock a person out!

        Loading editor
    • well Wuji not yinyang some people aside form combustion woman may be able to tame combustion to make it more safe and a little less dangerous but I still think of bonebending as an earthbender's capability, and an air less zone is probably just an upper-defense move when you think about it is more like suffocation which seems like the air equivalent to bloodbending or the possible bonebending because they are all deadly.

        Loading editor
    • All these really evil bending techniques... makes one a little scared at what we're capable of magical element controllers...

        Loading editor
    • OK, I'm just going to make a list and like chains of which sub-elements lead to others. OK, so... Water: Healing->Spiritual Healing (Unalaq's thing), Plantbending->Bloodbending->Anti-bending (Removal of bending using bloodbending, just my name for it since it fits, being the name of the revolution in which it was used.)

      For earth (which has no chains): Seismic Sense, Metalbending, Lavabending,

      Fire has no chains, but: Blue firebending, Combustion, Lightning, Heat Manipulation

      Also, in a way, aren't chi-blockers effectively manipulating the same type of energy as benders? Just a thought...

      Also, I don don't thing cloudbending nor mudbending really qualify, and if they do, snowbending, icebending, and steambending should as well.

        Loading editor
    • Blue firebending -> Lightning -> combustion

      Just my thoughts...

        Loading editor
    • when you think about it if both earth and firebenders can bend lava then earthbenders should be able to plantbend right? I would think so.

        Loading editor
    • firebenders can't lavabend on their own... actually come to think of it, i don't recall any source that tells us that lavabending was a mix of earth and fire. i think the fans just assumed that, just like they assumed that past avatars are in the spirit world, both of which aren't true. maybe whenever an avatar lavabent, he was only using earthbending.

      as far as plantbending goes, waterbenders don't really "plantbend" per se, they are able to do it by proxy, the same way as bloodbending: there's water in plants. earthbenders couldn't either: there's no form of earth in plants.

        Loading editor
    • Mineral rocks? 

        Loading editor
    • I think it said the lavabending mix things in Avatar Extras...

        Loading editor
    • it used to be an avatar only thing but now we seem to have someone who isn't the avatar and can do it

        Loading editor
    • that's kinda what i was saying before: what if it wasn't just an avatar thing? like the reason that we've only seen the avatar do it before was b/c the avatar state was needed to produce so much earthbending power, not that both earth and fire powers had to be used? and now we have this ghazan dude who is such a powerful earthbender that he can lavabend w/o anything like the avatar state?

        Loading editor
    • Well, we do have Zuko placing these four benders above the normal crop so I guess it is possible? 

        Loading editor
    • Evolution of tech, evolution of bending.

        Loading editor
    • Its like someone traveling into space they would explode because the internal pressure is higher than the external pressure

      That is actually a myth.

      i think the fans just assumed that, just like they assumed that past avatars are in the spirit world, both of which aren't true

      Oh, it was true, they just retconned it. Come on, if "past Avatars don't live in the Spirit World," how can Kuruk be hunting Koh?

        Loading editor
    • Neo bat has a great point you cannot hunt a spirit when you are dead unless you are in the spirit world.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe there wasn't any hunting when he died? There seemed to be ways to meet spirits or enter the spirit world with the need for the portals.

        Loading editor
    • well now with the portals it would make meeting spirits more common.

        Loading editor
    • More minor spirits sure. The major spirits never seemed to have difficulty crossing.

        Loading editor
    • well of course not the more powerful the spirit the more easily they can cross in the spirit world.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      i think the fans just assumed that, just like they assumed that past avatars are in the spirit world, both of which aren't true

      Oh, it was true, they just retconned it. Come on, if "past Avatars don't live in the Spirit World," how can Kuruk be hunting Koh?

      No, it wasn't: the only source for that was the escape from the spirit world game, and nothing in the game indicated that the past avatars lived there. they all appeared and/or disappeared into nothingness before/after aang was talking to them. kuruk didn't say he was off to hunt koh, he just said that he wouldn't give up, which is something to be expected of an animated memory.

      also, it wasn't retconned; MDD just confirmed via blog comments that the past avatars don't live there.

        Loading editor
    • The fallacy in your thinking is "because Mike said that, there was never any counter evidence." No, every time we saw the Avatars, they were acting independently of Aang. Mike just retconned it.

        Loading editor
    • sure there was some "counter-evidence" but that could all be explained in another way. plus, there was way more evidence for my theory than against it, and what MDD said just put a nail in it... most of it anyway.

        Loading editor
    • "Some"? There were only a minority of times that the current Avatar sought out the aid of the past Avatars. The vast majority of the time, the previous incarnations were acting of their own accord. Which would mean they led a life other than Aang's. Your "explanation" for this was basically "it's coincidence." The whole theory hinged not on evidence, but the assumption that Avatar reincarnation=Buddhist reincarnation.

      So I can see why you so enjoy the fact that Mike came out & said that.

      The only problem is that what he says now doesn't match the way the story actually turned out. That's a clear sign of retconning. I don't know if they only recently made up their minds on this or if they just never bothered to explain this to their other writers, but either way, retcons occurred.

      But, hey, it's not like there's any precedent for that, right? They wouldn't do anything looney like saying in Last Airbender that "The Avatar State is the combination of your past lives" only to change it to something else in Legend of Korra. Or that humans originally learned Bending from dragons, badgermoles, sky bison, & the moon, but then it turns out that it was actually lion turtles all the way down. Oh, & it's not like we have a copy of their draft that says that the dragon teaching Wan was basically a last minute addition, so no, it was not always planned that Wan would learn how to bend properly from a dragon. Yes, clearly, when they say something, they always meant it that way, & they will continue to do so for all time. They do not retcon.

        Loading editor
    • dude, chill haha. I'm not saying they never retcon, i'm just saying this one wasn't a retcon. if we look at several pieces of dialogue, some of which can be seen on my favorite quotes section of my userpage, it was well established that the past avatars aren't their own spirits... as i said, MDD simply put a nail in it. on the surface, when they were connected with, i do admit it would seem like they were acting independently - i myself was highly confused by the situation when i first started watching the show - but taking that dialogue into consideration, what's actually going on becomes clearer.

      But i'm not going to rehash it all here... that's not what this thread was made for. if you wanna keep talking about it though, just shoot me a message. :)

        Loading editor
    • I don't really need to debate dialogue, people can see for themselves that the Past Avatars had a thing for just showing up uninvited, & they didn't have to come out of Aang's or Korra's body/spirit, either.

      What is this thread even about, anyway? I've read the OP a few times & I'm still unclear on the premise.

        Loading editor
    • Hmmm, I wonder if powerful water/bloodbenders can fly by bending/levitating their own blood...

      Though, during the process it would most likely leave them in pain, fatigued and vulnerable. Plus with all that there would be no concentration to maintain said flight, thus also susceptible to attack. Not really a useful technique in battle, or even with plain tasks I suppose. Let alone anyone skillful enough to attempt it.

        Loading editor
    • I guess something like the old Iceman from Marvel? Get enough water and form a bridge high in the air?

      I wouldn't mind seeing bloodbending used to regenerate or something akin to what was used in Deadman Wonderland.

        Loading editor
    • i just can't believe that astral projection is the airbending subskill... i get that airbenders are spiritual and all, but what's AP have to do with manipulating wind??

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      i just can't believe that astral projection is the airbending subskill... i get that airbenders are spiritual and all, but what's AP have to do with manipulating wind??

      Whats healing got to do with waterbending?  whats spiritual cleansing (what ever it is called, what korra does to evil spirits) got to do with the manipulation/control of water?

      what about firebending? firebending is the manipulation and control of fire and yet they can some how use positive and negitive energy to create lightning...

      why can't astral projection be through airbending? i think it is great , though i do understand that in a way it is a bit of a stretch ... though i couldn't be happier with airbending getting a a sub skill finally :) 

        Loading editor
    • Yerbyrico wrote:
      God, people airbenders cannot manipulate air they didn't make. Also, waterbenders can move clouds and they don't necessarily need help from airbenders, maybe if they are weak. Shadowbending, for airbenders, really? Bones can't be bent by earthbenders guys. I will put a list for all the sub-elements:

      Earth: metal, mud, seismic sense, and lava(although some people don't think so)

      Fire: lightning, redirection(some people don't cosider it but i do), and lava

      Water: plant, blood, ice, steam, healing, mud, and that thing Unalaq does.

      Air: air

      if an airbender breaths out they can use the air they make ... why are you saying they can't ... i.e. aang sneezed and went meters in the air ... a sneeze is something that he produced/made ..

      also airbenders can astral project, bend blood technically as blood contains oxygen and oxygen contains air, steam is also a gas which can be manipulated by airbending also in real life blind people can use Human echolocation, which is an ability of humans to detect objects in their environment by sensing echoes from those objects, this is done through making sounds and as we have seen by aang, he can amplify the sound of a whislte, oh aswell as ikki who screamed out for her dad, they could use amplify the sound of their voice to use human echolocation  so just to recap :

      astral projection

      blood bending

      stem as well as cloudbending

      Human Echolocation 

        Loading editor
    • oxygen does not contain air. Air contains oxygen

      and echolocation isn't tremendously effective you know...

        Loading editor
    • echolocation can be effective, very similar to the earthbending equivilent 

        Loading editor
    • Fire; Colorful fire, lightining, combustion, healing.

      Water; Healing, blood, plant, spirit. (OP, IMO)

      Earth; Metal, seismic sense.

      Air; Astral projection, maybe soundbending?

        Loading editor
    • oh please... don't mention astral projection again... there's already a massive debate going on about astral projection. it's ridiculous. At that, if you must, debate away here to!

      as for echolocation, I'm partially blind and so have a bit better echolocation. It's still useless 9 times out of 10. at that, I have no training with it so maybe I just need to improve... How does one train himself to use echolocation?

        Loading editor
    • Astral projection does fit Air-bending in the sense the guide to Airbender philosophy as stated by basically every air nomad we have seen on both shows, is to detach themselves from the earth and live a care free life, so astral projection which is literally an out of body experience would be a metaphor for the extant of an airbenders spirituality. Not really a scientific reason though well lets face it air is just air so a tangible sub skill would difficult for the creators to come up with. So u have to give them props for at least being creative.

        Loading editor
    • Didn't Jinora say it just requires training and some spirituality? Or was that not considered proper projection?

        Loading editor
    • Slow Reader wrote:
      oxygen does not contain air. Air contains oxygen

      and echolocation isn't tremendously effective you know...

      Echolocation can be used similar to sesimic sense i.e. to sense their surrounding, detect if someone lies, detect/find where air also hides... and whether or not it would be tremendously effective is besides the point, my thought is that it is a possible sub skill (which most likely wont get develpoed but though still an interesting possibility)

        Loading editor
    • Slow Reader wrote:

      as for echolocation, I'm partially blind and so have a bit better echolocation. It's still useless 9 times out of 10. at that, I have no training with it so maybe I just need to improve... How does one train himself to use echolocation?

      Firstly i'm sorry to hear that your partially blind. As for your question, im not entirely sure how one would train for this. I suppose you could possible ask a doctor of sorts to possible research and further investigate how to better improve on the skill :)

        Loading editor
    • Speaking of bending sub-skills. The new earthbending guy in the show the criminal bothers me. Does it not bother anyone else that he is able to ignite his earth. Even if it was some kind of molten earth he should not be able to ignite it. I thought lava bending was a skill only avatars possessed because it is a mixture between fire and earth.

        Loading editor
    • I guess it isn't now with this new bender. On the prison ship, the earthbender was spinning those rocks to form his weapon. I'm guessing he was primarily using friction and pressure to create some magma, but not all of it.

      Magma might actually be a better term than lava because it is a mixture of both molten material and others.

        Loading editor
    • I too don't know how i feel about this earth lava subskill ... i suposse i'll have to coninue to watch and see if i like it at all

        Loading editor
    • There's a thread on here titled, "why can't earth benders manipulate lava?" It was created a long time ago, but it talks about various reasons they should be able to: mainly because it's just liquid earth. Which makes sense: water benders can control their element in all It's naturally occurring forms, why can't earth benders? Now, as we see in book 3, they can.

        Loading editor
    • But what's next? Gaseous Earth? Solid air? Is solid air even a thing? I know you can't have "solid fire." Unless we can say that firebenders can control heat in more mediums than just gas, in which case, screw it, they can be lavabenders, too! And waterbenders! Everyone gets ALL THE BENDING! Handin' out Bending like Oprah hands out new cars!

      Seriously, though, I don't think that's the only reason Gahzan can manipulate lava.

        Loading editor
    • Tinathestar wrote:

      Slow Reader wrote:

      as for echolocation, I'm partially blind and so have a bit better echolocation. It's still useless 9 times out of 10. at that, I have no training with it so maybe I just need to improve... How does one train himself to use echolocation?

      Firstly i'm sorry to hear that your partially blind. As for your question, im not entirely sure how one would train for this. I suppose you could possible ask a doctor of sorts to possible research and further investigate how to better improve on the skill :)

      It's ok, I've got glasses so every things fine aside from a bit of zoom (which you get used to after a life) and minor bullying (which lets you tolerate more) :)

      To Wikipedia!

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      But what's next? Gaseous Earth? Solid air? Is solid air even a thing? I know you can't have "solid fire." Unless we can say that firebenders can control heat in more mediums than just gas, in which case, screw it, they can be lavabenders, too! And waterbenders! Everyone gets ALL THE BENDING! Handin' out Bending like Oprah hands out new cars!

      Seriously, though, I don't think that's the only reason Gahzan can manipulate lava.

      No, with the other elements, their other "states of matter" don't exist naturally, unlike lava and regular earth, and all phases of water. fire is a chemical reaction, and airbending is bending the atmosphere.

      well, how else would he do it? i think him being able to phase change earth makes total sense - like i said, liquid earth exists naturally.

        Loading editor
    • "Exists naturally" would constitute a "secondary reason." However, there's still a basic problem with this logic. If we're saying that earthbenders can induce phase changes because they have basically the same ability that waterbenders do, why can't just any earthbender induce a phase change?

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      "Exists naturally" would constitute a "secondary reason." However, there's still a basic problem with this logic. If we're saying that earthbenders can induce phase changes because they have basically the same ability that waterbenders do, why can't just any earthbender induce a phase change?

      Maybe they can and just don't know it, or they can't be bothered ahah


      but here is a question remember when toph and Katara had that mud fight ... well lets just say that katara solidfied (i dont think thats a word ahah) the mud would it have been turned into a rock or dirty ice ... in all honest i don't see a problem with the idea of an earthbender changing the earths form.

        Loading editor
    • By definition, it would be dirty ice, since Katara is freezing the water inside of it. Basically, you're just sticking mud in a freezer.

      If Toph were to do it, she probably would have squeezed the water out of it, creating solid rock.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      By definition, it would be dirty ice, since Katara is freezing the water inside of it. Basically, you're just sticking mud in a freezer.

      If Toph were to do it, she probably would have squeezed the water out of it, creating solid rock.

      mm interesting, so if katara did freeze the mud to dirty ice, do you think that toph could control the frozen mud though? 

      and yeah i agree with the whole if toph did it it would turn to rock

        Loading editor
    • As long as the dirt was still inside of it.

        Loading editor
    • what I want to see is weather manipulation by airbenders and/with waterbenders (but not only waterbenders they already won the subskill lottery)

        Loading editor
    • that's basically cloud bending which requires both a waterbender and a air bender

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:
      "Exists naturally" would constitute a "secondary reason." However, there's still a basic problem with this logic. If we're saying that earthbenders can induce phase changes because they have basically the same ability that waterbenders do, why can't just any earthbender induce a phase change?

      just like metal or sand bending, i bet they can: it's all under the capabilities of earthbending, but they just haven't tried it yet. as with metal bending: it was possible, but nobody knew it because they didn't have the skills or the situation necessary to cause them to figure it out.

        Loading editor
    • That's why it looks like, for now.

      Was Ming Hua (if I got that right) held inside a volcano prison? If so, why did the earthbender just use that shuriken rather than use the lava from that floor? It does seem like there is some missing context to that 'lavabending' and the trailer shots.

        Loading editor
    • i think the lava was probably too far down for him to reach, and plus he might have injured MH in the process. it must have just been easier for him to melt some rocks from the ground and fling them at the guards.

        Loading editor
    • When the avatar before yang Chen bent lava he was technically bending magma due to it being inside a volcano, so maybe in order to bend magma you have to use earth and fire due to it being much hotter than lava. Innotherwords magma bending is an avatars only move while lava is open to earth benders

        Loading editor
    • Slow Reader wrote:
      that's basically cloud bending which requires both a waterbender and a air bender

      Well in fact, back in the era of rava, whilst airbenders manipulated air, they also seemed to have manipulated clouds (without any waterbenders), to the point of creating them, condensing them so they are somewhat solid to stand on and basically cloud surf.

        Loading editor
    • Justvisiting wrote:
      Hmmm, I wonder if powerful water/bloodbenders can fly by bending/levitating their own blood...

      Though, during the process it would most likely leave them in pain, fatigued and vulnerable. Plus with all that there would be no concentration to maintain said flight, thus also susceptible to attack. Not really a useful technique in battle, or even with plain tasks I suppose. Let alone anyone skillful enough to attempt it.

      I'm so glad you brought this up cause i figure that if waterbender can control lets say ice for instance... why can't an waterbender create ice over their shoes and then levitate the ice and therefore themselves ... same goes with earthbenders, the can put earth under, around or over their feet and levitate themselves up

        Loading editor
    • Tinathestar wrote:
      Slow Reader wrote:
      that's basically cloud bending which requires both a waterbender and a air bender
      Well in fact, back in the era of rava, whilst airbenders manipulated air, they also seemed to have manipulated clouds (without any waterbenders), to the point of creating them, condensing them so they are somewhat solid to stand on and basically cloud surf.

      they weren't actually cloudbending, that was just the result of the animation style, just like they animate the airbending in all other episodes. you can't really see the air like that, but due to the animated nature of the show, showing the bending like that is necessary.

        Loading editor
    • Thebridge14 wrote:
      When the avatar before yang Chen bent lava he was technically bending magma due to it being inside a volcano, so maybe in order to bend magma you have to use earth and fire due to it being much hotter than lava. Innotherwords magma bending is an avatars only move while lava is open to earth benders

      it can't be a combination of earth and fire: only the avatar can bend more than one element; ghazan is an earthbender.

      come to think of it, and i've said this before, i don't think there was any real reason for us to think lava was earth+fire... i think we just came up with that ourselves. O.O

        Loading editor
    • @ Intelegence4 The reason I associate lava with fire bending is because remember in book 2 of last Airbender when roku was explaining the avatar state it showed four past avatars each bending a high level form of their native element. The fire avatar was bending lava so that's why I thought it had something to do with fire. I know Ghazan is an earth bender only, it would be interesting if the harmonic convergence gave him fire bending as well which I know would go against cannon to some degree, but remember the most important line for multi bender advocates like my self is "Hmmm, perhaps but to do so raava must harness the power for you until you master it" says the wise and all knowing lion turtle.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      Tinathestar wrote:
      Slow Reader wrote:
      that's basically cloud bending which requires both a waterbender and a air bender
      Well in fact, back in the era of rava, whilst airbenders manipulated air, they also seemed to have manipulated clouds (without any waterbenders), to the point of creating them, condensing them so they are somewhat solid to stand on and basically cloud surf.
      they weren't actually cloudbending, that was just the result of the animation style, just like they animate the airbending in all other episodes. you can't really see the air like that, but due to the animated nature of the show, showing the bending like that is necessary.

      whilst i understand that the way in which it was portrayed was due to animation style ... though it doesn't mean that they weren't clouds and that they weren't cloudbending when they were surfing ...  if you were to remove the animated style with the current animated style of airbending it just would give off the impression that an airbend can fly as they would be able to air surf, though we have not seen this (exception being the avatar because they are the avatar) 

        Loading editor
    • they weren't actually cloudbending, that was just the result of the animation style, just like they animate the airbending in all other episodes. you can't really see the air like that, but due to the animated nature of the show, showing the bending like that is necessary.
      whilst i understand that the way in which it was portrayed was due to animation style ... though it doesn't mean that they weren't clouds and that they weren't cloudbending when they were surfing ...  if you were to remove the animated style with the current animated style of airbending it just would give off the impression that an airbend can fly as they would be able to air surf, though we have not seen this (exception being the avatar because they are the avatar) 

      it does mean they weren't cloudbending. clouds are made of water, and there weren't any clouds present before they "jumped" onto them, meaning that waterbending would have had to be used in order to condense them, and there clearly wasn't any waterbending around.

      as for your second paragraph (i think it's your second paragraph, your writing is a little difficult to understand) that's exactly what they were doing, but clearly, some moves have been forgotten over the ages.


      also, go google some ancient woodblock illustrations: if there's any form of wind drawn, it will be depicted pretty much the same as the airbending in beginnings.

        Loading editor
    • I think it's may just better at the current time to differentiate between the Avatar bending and the lavabending with Ghazan. At least until we know more.

      As for the escape scene in the volcano, it's most likely an issue of having the liberators overshadow the escape. Each escape seems to be built around showing off the new bender and their bending reveal. Releasing P'li was close to breaking that with Ming Hua doing so much awsome waterbending. P'li did knock aside a dragon though, so I have to hand it to her.

        Loading editor
    • Tinathestar wrote:

      Intelligence4 wrote:
      Tinathestar wrote:
      Slow Reader wrote:
      that's basically cloud bending which requires both a waterbender and a air bender
      Well in fact, back in the era of rava, whilst airbenders manipulated air, they also seemed to have manipulated clouds (without any waterbenders), to the point of creating them, condensing them so they are somewhat solid to stand on and basically cloud surf.
      they weren't actually cloudbending, that was just the result of the animation style, just like they animate the airbending in all other episodes. you can't really see the air like that, but due to the animated nature of the show, showing the bending like that is necessary.

      whilst i understand that the way in which it was portrayed was due to animation style ... though it doesn't mean that they weren't clouds and that they weren't cloudbending when they were surfing ...  if you were to remove the animated style with the current animated style of airbending it just would give off the impression that an airbend can fly as they would be able to air surf, though we have not seen this (exception being the avatar because they are the avatar) 

      Hmmm... maybe the creators could figure a way to give air the ability to manipulate clouds, have that as their sub ability and the argument may be ended..?

        Loading editor
    • I believe waterbenders and airbenders could separately bend clouds. Aang needed Katara because there was a volcano that was going to erupt and destroy the village unless they create a gigantic skull made of clouds. Clouds are both air and water, just like how mud is both water and earth, both parties can bend clouds <.<

      I think only earthbenders could bend lava. The avatar before Yangchen was also an earthbender , so I don't really see a problem and it really doesn't make any sense. Lava is melted earth, it just very hot. If waterbenders can bend ice then earthbenders can bend lava with no help. >.>

        Loading editor
    • @klainatta

      actually, clouds are made of just water. the reason an airbender can manipulate them is the same reason they can manipulate smoke: they move the cloud/smoke by moving the air particles that are in and around it. so, yes, they're manipulating it, but only by proxy.

      pretty much. that's the only thing that would make sense.

        Loading editor
    • klainatta the avatar before Yangchen was a FIREBENDER and if it has water than I am quite sure a waterbender could bend it same with earth, fire and air which is why I speculate the possibility of bonebending because of minerals in somebody's bones it would be quite like bloodbending only it would be far more deadly and dangerous.

        Loading editor
    • I agree with all of you but the writers made it seem to me that lava was a fire type move which i know it's not

      Ex kyoshi use avatar state to move giant rocks (earth) Kuruk creates a giant wave (water) Yangchen creates wind storm (air) Unnamed fire avatar bends lava ? Well if their showing each element than fires is next of coarse he could be using both but the others were clearly using their native element

        Loading editor
    • To be fair, he could have been using Firebending to erupt the volcanoes, rather than to control the lava.

        Loading editor
    • Thebridge14 wrote:
      I agree with all of you but the writers made it seem to me that lava was a fire type move which i know it's not

      Ex kyoshi use avatar state to move giant rocks (earth) Kuruk creates a giant wave (water) Yangchen creates wind storm (air) Unnamed fire avatar bends lava ? Well if their showing each element than fires is next of coarse he could be using both but the others were clearly using their native element


      Yeah. That's the problem. But I can gladly ignore that. This can be explained by what I said, he was also an earthbender or that there was no order of elements. The problem is solved. No need to argue over something unimportant. It seems like they officaly think that lavabending is a high level earthbending. I'm cool with that and I don't even mention that it makes more sense.


      note: what do we call Unalaq's spirit soothing thingie? Spiritbending? Spirit healing? (But he can also corrupt souls... how is that even possible o.o?)

        Loading editor
    • Yeah it's pretty minor but for unalaqs water move I think it's called spirit pacification if turning it light or spirit corruption if turning it dark. A question I have is water the only element that can pacify spirits, like could fire due the same thing because when wan and raava fused temporarily he used all four to calm eye eye down

        Loading editor
    • We've seen fire used for divination in book 2 so the writers could greatly expand the spiritual side of firebending.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      It does mean they weren't cloudbending. clouds are made of water, and there weren't any clouds present before they "jumped" onto them, meaning that waterbending would have had to be used in order to condense them, and there clearly wasn't any waterbending aroud.

      We don't know that airbenders cannot create clouds ... we have witnessed Aang breath out cold air creating a somewhat foggy mist, now who is to say that he couldn't in his own right create a cloud with airbending. Not to mention watervapour is contained within the air ... so it is possible that an airbender could condense the air (and the watervapour) therefore creating a cloud

      Also the drawing style of wind is different, 1 you see clouds and the other you see more like wind i.e. when Wan traps Vuatu in an Air barrier/bubble, he uses airbending, airbending that does not take the form of the cloud like drawing and then wan uses a rocks, fire, water and then a cloud to surround the air barrier. which highlights that all the airbending used during the beginings part 1 and 2 weren't all drawn to look like clouds, which furuther hightlights they airbenders can possible very well be able to create clouds

      And this is a stretch here, though we could argue that when Aang does this airbending move against ozi that it evidently created a somewhat cloud/fog

        Loading editor
    • As for the lava bending ... mmm i dunno if we can say earthbenders can lava bend ... i think the earthbender merely heats up the rocks to the point it contains lava though is still only manipulating the earth (which the lava was created from and/or could still contain earth)

        Loading editor
    • Thebridge14 wrote: Yeah it's pretty minor but for unalaqs water move I think it's called spirit pacification if turning it light or spirit corruption if turning it dark. A question I have is water the only element that can pacify spirits, like could fire due the same thing because when wan and raava fused temporarily he used all four to calm eye eye down

      Lately I've been thinking that technique should have gone to Firebending instead of Waterbending. That way, waterbending would be able to heal physically & Firebending to heal spiritually, since Firebending deals with energy, but isn't a good idea to use on physical ailments because--y'know--fire.

      But Wan didn't use Bending ON Aye-Aye, he just shocked everyone, which allowed Aye Aye to forget his rage & slip from Vaatu's control.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah but water benders are much more spiritual than firebenders

        Loading editor
    • I'm not too sure about that. We have seen a number of spiritual firebenders, not to mention more quasi-religious citizens like the shaman or the priests. I think we've even seen more of them than all the spiritual waterbenders that I can think of.

        Loading editor
    • We've only seen 3 spiritual water tribe people

      Yue, her father,unalaq and maybe Katara

      For fire benders we have seen Wan prior to becoming the avatar Iroh,the sun warriors,The shaman, Jeongjeong because he was able to contact Roku and the painted lady was fire nation even though not a bender.

      There have been a lot more spiritual fire nation members than water tribe

        Loading editor
    • @Neo Bahamut Wan didn't bend at Aye Aye but the combination of the four elements encasing wan brought the light out of him and calmed him down. The bending had some spiritually to it.

        Loading editor
    • Neo Bahamut wrote:

      Thebridge14 wrote: Yeah it's pretty minor but for unalaqs water move I think it's called spirit pacification if turning it light or spirit corruption if turning it dark. A question I have is water the only element that can pacify spirits, like could fire due the same thing because when wan and raava fused temporarily he used all four to calm eye eye down

      Lately I've been thinking that technique should have gone to Firebending instead of Waterbending. That way, waterbending would be able to heal physically & Firebending to heal spiritually, since Firebending deals with energy, but isn't a good idea to use on physical ailments because--y'know--fire.

      But Wan didn't use Bending ON Aye-Aye, he just shocked everyone, which allowed Aye Aye to forget his rage & slip from Vaatu's control.

      Actually you're right. According to the script the shaman was doing reiki, ie spiritual healing.

        Loading editor
    • Thebridge14 wrote: @Neo Bahamut Wan didn't bend at Aye Aye but the combination of the four elements encasing wan brought the light out of him and calmed him down. The bending had some spiritually to it.

      You can believe this if you want, but I'm not going to humor you & claim it makes sense. There's no evidence for it, it flies in the face of how Bending has always needed to be used ON a target, & there is a much more plausible explanation in a common plot device.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not trying to convince u, I just like the idea that bending is spiritual in nature. When the four elements are combined it has a special effect on spirits, like being able to trap Vaata in a tree with out a bender holding him their. After Wan bent vaatu in the tree of time the elements turned into light energy creating a spiritual prison. It's an awesome episode that deserves an in depth analysis .

        Loading editor
    • There is a connection between the number of benders in a culture. Even with the different cultures too. There are a few other elements of spirituality with bending, like Jinora's special skill. 

        Loading editor
    • Number of benders?

        Loading editor
    • air nomads had the smallest population, but they were all benders. the EK has the largest population, and a much lower percentage of them are benders.

        Loading editor
    • ahh...

        Loading editor
    • think about it in the legend of korra the bender population has risen dramatically and now a majority of people are benders and non-benders are a minority.

        Loading editor
    • this has to do with the fact of harmonic convergence and the overall fact the world has many more humans living in it after 70 years probably nearly 2 billion of more.

        Loading editor
    • We don't really know the percentage of benders to non-benders, nor how many became benders with the HC. It always seemed to me that non-benders generally were more of the population than non-benders from the episodes. The first Inn Team Avatar goes (with the wanted posters) to in the current episode just showed a bunch of regular guys with regular weapons. Benders don't typically use weapons from what we see.

        Loading editor
    • do you guys think plantbending is a subskill of waterbending?

        Loading editor
    • Yeah. It's different enough. I think it has a lot of interesting potential.

        Loading editor
    • Here's what I want to know: Can Plantbenders control the plants' actual functions? For instance, can you cause a plant that produces poison to start making poison on cue? Because that's the only way I really see it being useful.

        Loading editor
    • Vines, thorns, medicinal uses, and so on. All depends on the plant. The Avatar world itself could have types of plants we haven't even seen yet that would fit into a number of situations.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think so they only control the water in the plants not the plants themselves, like blood bending you can't control a persons nervous system just there circulatory system because of water in the blood.

        Loading editor
    • When I say, "Use," I mean something that ordinary waterbending cannot do. Water can be made to act as a tendril. Poison can be put in ordinary water. Probably medicine, too.

        Loading editor
    • i was asking the question b/c as it stands right now, plantbending is NOT considered a subskill, and is disallowed from being put on the bending arts page (and other pages that would mention it as a subskill). i wanted to start a war room forum on the topic, but i wanted to know if people would actually vote for the proposal if i wrote one.

      but to answer neo's question, no, waterbender can't control a plants functions. like bridge14 said, they just control the water in the plant. it's literally the same as bloodbending, except in plants instead of animals. (which is another reason i believe it should be added as a subskill)

        Loading editor
    • Can't that we know of, you mean. Since you can control any muscle with Bloodbending, there are a number of bodily functions that you can control with it, but others that you probably can't. Additionally, we eventually saw that Bloodbending could be used on Chi paths to permanently seal Bending.

      Unfortunately, I know very little about plants, so I can't propose anything further. If there are some botanists on the Wiki, maybe I'll make a blog about Plantbending. I should really know more about it, if I'm going to have a character that uses it.

      Anyway, back to your point, I thought it WAS listed as a subskill, last I knew. I might vote for that, but first I would like to know what exactly the Wiki thinks makes something a subskill.

        Loading editor
    • a subskill is just some form of using your bending in a different or creative way, and it's usually more of an advanced move. like bloodbending: regular waterbending, but inside a person.

        Loading editor
    • I think the Wiki's reasoning is that it has to be something that not just any Xbender could do.

      Hence why sandbending isn't a subskill. Any Earthbender can pick it up with a little bit of practice.

      In that regard, I can see why plantbending is unlisted. Huu acted like it wasn't really anything major, & Hama implied that removing water from plants & condensation were more difficult, & I wouldn't say those are subskills either.

        Loading editor
    • well Huu just said he was bending the water in the plants. Hama was controlling people and locking them away.

        Loading editor
    • Will Korra ever learn Plantbending, she did learn Metalbending already.

        Loading editor
    • Unless plantbending gets a major upgrade, I don't see why she'd want to. It's fancy, but offers no apparent benefit over ordinary waterbending.

        Loading editor
    • Yerbyrico wrote: God, people airbenders cannot manipulate air they didn't make. Also, waterbenders can move clouds and they don't necessarily need help from airbenders, maybe if they are weak. Shadowbending, for airbenders, really? Bones can't be bent by earthbenders guys. I will put a list for all the sub-elements:

      Earth: metal, mud, seismic sense, and lava(although some people don't think so)

      Fire: lightning, redirection(some people don't cosider it but i do), and lava

      Water: plant, blood, ice, steam, healing, mud, and that thing Unalaq does.

      Air: air

      I totally agree but u forgot combustion

        Loading editor
    • Thebridge14 wrote: @ Intelegence4 The reason I associate lava with fire bending is because remember in book 2 of last Airbender when roku was explaining the avatar state it showed four past avatars each bending a high level form of their native element. The fire avatar was bending lava so that's why I thought it had something to do with fire. I know Ghazan is an earth bender only, it would be interesting if the harmonic convergence gave him fire bending as well which I know would go against cannon to some degree, but remember the most important line for multi bender advocates like my self is "Hmmm, perhaps but to do so raava must harness the power for you until you master it" says the wise and all knowing lion turtle.

      Ghazan was arrested 13 years prior to the start of the series so he was lavabending for a while

        Loading editor
    • I don't think that only waterbenders (Unalaq) can do the spirit calming. Seeing a fire bender sensing Korra's spirit in Book 2, I would personally guess that any bender can calm spirits, it's just that they don't usually come into contact with them [not living near spirit portals and spirits being absent for the lat 10,000 years]

      Relating to the suggestion that Ghazan could be a fire bender too - he's not. But spirits can merge with humans. Humans have their human spirit. Bending is part of the human spirit (that's conjecture but Raava holds bending so I'm guessing that human spirit holds it too). Vaatunalaaq could pull a spirit out of Korra...so all that peaced together, could someone pull another person's spirit out of them (using the spirit manipulation that Vaatunalaaq demonstrated/that Unalaaq demonstrated humself by corrupting spirits) and combine it with thier own to gain an additional element (for a short time)? We saw in the latest book that everyone got on pretty well without Korra ultimately, the only way to make Korra important and needed by the world and forcing her into restoration would be an enemy who can also bend multiple elements...

        Loading editor
    • Assassin for the argonauts wrote: I don't think that only waterbenders (Unalaq) can do the spirit calming. Seeing a fire bender sensing Korra's spirit in Book 2, I would personally guess that any bender can calm spirits, it's just that they don't usually come into contact with them [not living near spirit portals and spirits being absent for the lat 10,000 years]

      Relating to the suggestion that Ghazan could be a fire bender too - he's not. But spirits can merge with humans. Humans have their human spirit. Bending is part of the human spirit (that's conjecture but Raava holds bending so I'm guessing that human spirit holds it too). Vaatunalaaq could pull a spirit out of Korra...so all that peaced together, could someone pull another person's spirit out of them (using the spirit manipulation that Vaatunalaaq demonstrated/that Unalaaq demonstrated humself by corrupting spirits) and combine it with thier own to gain an additional element (for a short time)? We saw in the latest book that everyone got on pretty well without Korra ultimately, the only way to make Korra important and needed by the world and forcing her into restoration would be an enemy who can also bend multiple elements...

      Yeah but they would have to find more lionturtles to get the other elements also what ever stopped aang from giving airbending with energy bending was it just to dangerous to do unless need be, or only lion turtles can grant bending

        Loading editor
    • The HC event certainly gave away some bending ability, so it opens up the possibility of even other ways to gain bending.

        Loading editor
    • well Harmonic convergence isn't the only extremely spiritual event in their world there are probably other events in their world but that doesn't necessarily mean that they give out bending.

        Loading editor
    • I just realized. Can waterbenders bend mud? its technically earth and water mixed? and can they control the moisture in the air? so theyre airbenders?

        Loading editor
    • Avatartarsauce wrote:
      I just realized. Can waterbenders bend mud? its technically earth and water mixed? and can they control the moisture in the air? so theyre airbenders?

      They can bend mud, yes, as well as earthbenders, as in one episode (The Runaway, I think it was) Katara and Toph got into a bending mud fight with each other.

      No, they cannot control other elements. :P

        Loading editor
    • Avatartarsauce wrote:
      I just realized. Can waterbenders bend mud? its technically earth and water mixed? and can they control the moisture in the air? so theyre airbenders?

      No bender can control more than one element, with the sole exception of the Avatar. period.

      Controlling moisture in the air - which we have in fact seen done on a small scale on precisely one occasion - is not controlling the air itself. It is extracting the water that is in the air and using it to waterbend - and therefore still waterbending, not airbending. 

      Just like "plantbending" is not a true separate bending element/type, but a waterbending technique that only works with flexible plants that have a substantial quantity of water in them, by bending that water. Technically speaking, it's the same basic underlying principle as bloodbending.

      Mud is mixed earth and water, and therefore can be bent by waterbenders because there's water in it. And by earthbenders because there's earth in it. 

        Loading editor
    • makes me wonder how bending can advance with new technology, I've thought of firebenders who can generate lasers and Airbenders who can use spiritual projection to invbade a human body.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      makes me wonder how bending can advance with new technology, I've thought of firebenders who can generate lasers and Airbenders who can use spiritual projection to invbade a human body.

      Not sure about lazzzzers but I can see more plasma bending being developed. Something similar to what Mako was doing to his cell in Book 3 but more based on lightning than fire. It could also be a potential boon in steel working or welding.

        Loading editor
    • A couple of facts:

      Lavabending is earthbending as Bolin is capable of using it.

      Smoke can be bent using firebending, as demonstrated by Sozin.

      Clouds are made up of water.

      Some conclusions of my own:

      Clouds could be bent using water bending, but could also be manipulated by airbending.

      Shadowbending, which I mention only because someone else did, is not, will not, and cannot be a thing. Why? Because shadows are simply a lack of light. They are not air, water, earth, fire, energy, or anything else substantial in any way.

      Lasers are composed of light, so, if energy bending is capable of bending any type of energy, they could be bent, however we do not know the limits of energy bending. Given that lightning, another form of energy, is under the area of firebending, it is possible that lasers would fall under the same category.

      Plasma is superheated matter, meaning that in theory any discipline could use it depending on what the plasma was originally made of, or none could due to it no longer belonging to any of the elements. Regardless, firebenders would be the only ones capable of generating that much heat without machinery, making it less than practical for most

      Bending moisture in the air is possible, however it would not bend the air itself, only the moisture.

        Loading editor
    • You missed a fact - lightning and hot enough fire are plasmas, so firebenders are already bending it.

        Loading editor
    • going to put it out there. Azula could bend blue fire, what if she beat Zuko kept advancing in power and developed white fire?

        Loading editor
    • Ldeth wrote:
      Though we have seen the lava in a past-life Avatar (Roku) I would like to see at least Korra develop it, though we may not see that again until the next fire Avatar. The plant bending, of course, we have seen in the TLA in the swamp and the puppetmaster episodes. I would highly enjoy seeing more outlets of the four primary bendings. Yet, I believe we'll see something more along the lines of spriit/benders/non-benders aspects happening. 

      Lavabending is Earthbending not firebending sub

        Loading editor
    • Yerbyrico wrote:
      God, people airbenders cannot manipulate air they didn't make. Also, waterbenders can move clouds and they don't necessarily need help from airbenders, maybe if they are weak. Shadowbending, for airbenders, really? Bones can't be bent by earthbenders guys. I will put a list for all the sub-elements:

      Earth: metal, mud, seismic sense, and lava(although some people don't think so)

      Fire: lightning, redirection(some people don't cosider it but i do), and lava

      Water: plant, blood, ice, steam, healing, mud, and that thing Unalaq does.

      Air: air

      Fire dosen't have lava oml And your getting a attuiude Hun Im lmfao that thing Unalaq did was spiritbending a sub for water also Consider*

        Loading editor
    • Avatar thoyrn wrote:
      going to put it out there. Azula could bend blue fire, what if she beat Zuko kept advancing in power and developed white fire?

      That depends on whether or not other colored fires are more powerful or not. I would love to see someone doing white, black, or other shades.

        Loading editor
    • I think blue fire is simply stronger than normal fire, and is likely just heated in a special way. White flame could be possible, maybe some sort of super heated flame, or the actual manifestation of plasma bending concept. Black fire would have to have a spiritual part, as no way could fire burn in that colour. One way to have it is a special fire that consumes energy to replensh the user's internal chi and hear; so instead of being bright, hot and noisey it is dark, cold and all so quiet; making it a perfect tool for nocturnal combat.

        Loading editor
    • white fire is known to be the hottest and most intense form of fire which would indeed be more powerful

        Loading editor
    • Thoughts on Firebending potential sub-techniques:

      Plasmabending: How I'ld do it is have plasma being hard to make with direct bending (as in you need the Summer Solstice or Sozin's Comet), and specialist training is needed to control the Plasma. It can however melt almost anything and can easily expand the amount of plasma by heating and deionising material into more of the 4th state. This leads to a weapon that skill firebenders can use against others of their kind, if they're willing to carry the plasma producing kit. The style of Plasma bending is to gather it in a sphere about a metre infront of them and whip it out as needed or focus it to pierce walls and armour.


      Lightning Strike: A form of Lightningbending in which small circles are made with the users wrists to build up and hold an electrical charge, which is released in a tap or poke to stun a target as if they were hit by an Electrified glove. Used by Fire Nation Police Officers in the Post-100 years war period.


      The Black and White Flames: Actually two techniques in one. The White Flame is the ultimate expression of Fire Bending; Pure heat, power and energy unleashed in an incredibly bright and hot flame that most fire benders can not even hope to resist. The Black Flame is the ultimate understanding of Fire Bending: If fire is energy, can one simply absorb the world's energy? The Black Flame is cold, dark and quiet, taking in energy to charge up the user's internal reservoir and weaken their enemies by chilling them to the bone. However, the White Flame takes to much energy to use without knocking them out, and the Black Flame can take in too much energy, causing internal burns and even spontaneous combustion for the user. The ONLY safe way is to use both at the same time, taking in and releasing energy in a display of Yin-Yang mastery of Firebending: Both understanding and embodying it at the same time. Sozin destroy the memory of this art to make Firebending match his ideology, which is ironic since his ancestors invented the technique to reperfect firebending after the Sun Warrior fell.

        Loading editor
    • Suppose Korra knew how to Combustionbend? Would she have to have a third eye tattooed on her head?

        Loading editor
    • It would depend on cultural reasons why those tattoos are given out. If it's a warning, she'ld probalby be legal obliged to get them. If it's like the airbender tattoos and is a rite of passage it would be less likely.

        Loading editor
    • Is it a cultural reason why both combustion benders had their tattoos? Given P'li's background, it's more likely she was forced to have them. The tattoos themselves just seem to be both a cool way to distinquish them and perhaps to focus the blasts.

        Loading editor
    • We simply don't know, but it's a possibility.


      More importantly, we know that Sozin could manipulate heat, so could a firebender learn that technique and remove heat from a person to freeze them to death.

        Loading editor
    • or overload them with heat causing them to burn to death.

        Loading editor
    • 76.91.225.28
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.