FANDOM


  • Am I only one who think Rohan might be an earthbender? Pema's a non-bender with green eyes so she's most likely a descendant of people from the Earth Kingdom. It's possible she has earthbenders in her family and could pass that on to Rohan. It's total speculation and maybe even a stretch, since I don't know Pema's background, but I think it would be interesting to have 5 airbenders (Aang, Tenzin, and kids), 2 waterbenders (Katara and Kya), and 1 earthbender (Rohan?) in one family. I'd like to know how anyone else thinks about Rohan's bending potential. Airbender, waterbender, non-bender or (maybe very unlikely) earthbender?

      Loading editor
    • i think he's either going to be a non-bender (not likely) or an airbender (probably). probs not earthbending because his father is an airbender and earth and air are opposites. also, airbending needs as much airbenders as possible to make a comeback, so i don't think the creators would have rohan be anything else. and remember he's a newborn now, so i don't think we're gonna see what kind of bender he is until at least book 3 or 4. also bending has a spiritual aspect to it, so based on who's raising him i don't think he'll be a non-bender. also there seems to be something with airbenders having all airbending children. and remember katara saying "i sense another airbender" or something like that. sorry for the way i typed all that...

        Loading editor
    • I whas thinking that also! It would be awesome if Rohan whas an earthbender!

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      i think he's either going to be a non-bender (not likely) or an airbender (probably). probs not earthbending...

      I think Katara said another bender in general. I didn't think about earth and air's opposite nature. Since mixed marriages are kinda new, that was never even a question before. I don't know if it would have too much of an impact though. If Aang married Toph that would've made both earth and airbending children possible. Aang and Katara had a waterbending daughter and a non-bending son so Air Nomads don't have all airbending children unless they have them with another Air Nomad. The spiritual aspect and being raised around benders probably factors in too, but Katara was the only bender in her entire tribe and Master Piandao and Commander Bumi were born to two benders, but couldn't bend (although firebending had been corrupted so that might open up a whole new discussion) I guess I'm saying bending is unpredictable and with two known elements in his family and and a non-bending mother with unknown heritage, Rohan could have the possibility of being a bender from any element (Pema could have Fire Nation heritage too...who knows) or none like his Uncle Bumi.

      This is more long-winded than I intended. I actually expect Rohan to grow up and airbend, but I always liked the possibility that he could be an earthbender since he and his mom have green eyes and it's really random and a nice surprise. Plus, Earth is my favorite element as you can see from my username. Thanks for your opinion!

        Loading editor
    • JL5000 wrote:
      I whas thinking that also! It would be awesome if Rohan whas an earthbender!

      Wow! I didn't expect anyone to share that opinion. I admit it's a little unlikely, but not impossible. Thanks!

        Loading editor
    • Though i would like rohan to be an airbender it would be cool if if he was an earthbender

        Loading editor
    • If he was the airbender, he would teach the next future earthbending avatar after korra pass away

        Loading editor
    • @EarthKingdom

      Hmmm you can't really judge whether someone is going to be an earth, water, fire or earth bender or nonbender just based solely on the color of the eyes, only because Tenzin's 3 older children are all airbenders but they have different colored eyes. Jinora, for example, has different colored eyes than that of Meelo and Ikki.... so who knows what Rohan will turn out to be.....

        Loading editor
    • I've said it before and I'll say it again we cannot make any certain predictions on his bending abilities because it is possible he could be anything.  Pema has the green eyes of an earthbender, but because Jinora's eyes are like a Firebender, and we know Tenzin is not descended from the Fire Nation, it is possible Pema's parents could have been a firebender and and earthbender. Tenzin's parents were an airbender and waterbender and the possiblity for a non bender is always prevalent.  It is possible he could be anything. 

      But when you take into account the human element of Bryan and Mike, should the give Rohan bending abilites it would be safe to assume Rohan will be an airbender. You know, repopulation and all. 

        Loading editor
    • Agree with 108.

        Loading editor
    • 108.213.24.55 wrote:
      @EarthKingdom

      Hmmm you can't really judge whether someone is going to be an earth, water, fire or earth bender or nonbender just based solely on the color of the eyes.....

      That's true. I'm only using it because it's the only trait I have to go on. In the old series, Azula's eyes were what gave her away as an imposter to Katara. Even though people different nations can marry each other, the children still mostly look like their element. Tenzin for example looks like an Air Nomad, but his siblings look Water Tribe

        Loading editor
    • AvatarCorin34 wrote:
      I've said it before and I'll say it again we cannot make any certain predictions on his bending abilities because it is possible he could be anything... 

      This was just a theory I came up with right after he was born. It may be somewhat obvious, but I'm partial to the Earth Kingdom and earthbending. I also expect Rohan to be an airbender for the whole repopulation thing, but it's too tempting not to hope he earthbends if for nothing more than to see the reaction of the other character. It's so random that it almost works! (in my head at least)

      Fantasy aside, I agree with everything you said

        Loading editor
    • You know, he could be a waterbender. He has the most powerful waterbender in the Avatar world as a gran-gran, so he likely has the genes for the talent. It would actually be pretty interesting to see how Tenzin would try to teach a waterbending son the ways of a different nation.

        Loading editor
    • The Air Nomad Critic wrote:
      You know, he could be a waterbender...

      That crossed my mind too. He would probably be a very creative waterbender. Air is freedom and water is change so they would be really complementary. You could learn a lot of new techniques with that combination like Uncle studying waterbenders o redirect lightning. The possibilitites are endless. Thanks for making me think about that some more

        Loading editor
    • It is the focus of my as-yet-relatively-undeveloped OCs after all, benders who are raised in an environment contrary or similar to their element. Water, rather appropriately, would likely share some of the same spiritual tenents of airbending, given their similar philosophies on fighting, redirection and using one's strength against him.

        Loading editor
    • Sounds really interesting. I like the idea of mixing up the benders and elements. There's a lot to be learned there

        Loading editor
    • Considering that Iroh made an entire subskill of firebending out of observing waterbenders, I wouldn't doubt it. One can only imagine the cross-pollination that is occuring in the melting pot that is Republic City. Indeed, the possibilities are endless.

        Loading editor
    • there is supposed to be an airbending subskill revealed in book 2.....maybe from rohan somehow? but when the book starts, he'll only be 6 months old, so perhaps the show will go on hiatus for a while and when it returns he'll be older (like meelo's current age or something)

      personally i believe the subskill was taught to tenzin by aang, and will be retaught to the avatar by tenzin. which means we've probs already seen it, so i think it will be soundbending, or at least the canonization of it. if not, maybe creating a vaccuum or something - how creative can you get with air? the only other possibility i can think of is airbending's version of seismic sense, but that would mean waterbenders would be able to do the same thing. there's  not enough air in the body to do anything like bloodbending, and i think healing is kinda out of reach, although jinora (air) does have a close relationship with Kya (really into healing) so perhaps jinora invents it somehow.

      as for rohan's bending ability, i feel confident that he will be an airbender. as i've said on another thread, think of avatar from a literary perspective, not an in-universe perspective.

        Loading editor
    • Considering the dominance that the airbending allele seems to have, I wouldn't doubt it. Poor Pema, all she wanted was one non-airbending child...

        Loading editor
    • She's not going to get any sleep for the rest of the series

        Loading editor
    • I don't know why but I have a feeling Rohan is going to be a nonbennder. It could happen. 

      Remember the rule that Airbenders have only airbending kids doesnt apply if there is a mixed family.Either Airbender - another bender or Airbender - non-bender. 

      Sure many take Katara's words from the first episode to be prophetic that Pema willl have another strong bender. But she could be wrong. And it's not unsual for Bryke to troll us. 

      My strongest bet is that Pema is also from a mixed family because of Jinora's eyes. Katara had blue eyes Aang somehwere between grey/bluish. Tenzin somehwere in between ( if i'm not mistaken) so where does Jinora get her brownish eyes if not from a relative ? 

      Katara and Aang had a non-bender , Bumi so anything is possible.

        Loading editor
    • @EarthKingdom

      Pretty much. If airbenders are the loudest snorers, imagine how loud an airbender baby can wail!

      @MasterAirbender02

      I have that feeling as well. Rohan doesn't seem like the name of a flighty airbender. Its a strong name, a name for one who is more connected with the world rather than trying to escape its problems. Its a warriors name, bold and true.

      Of course, that could be because I immediately think of the mighty Rohirrim from the Lord of the Rings when I hear the little tyke's name.

        Loading editor
    • Indeed. Kinda like Sokka or Hakoda.   Great warriors nonetheless but non-benders. I think that will be the case with Rohan. 

      If they make him an earthbender , which I doubt , then they have to explain Pema's origins. 

        Loading editor
    • Good point with the names. He could follow in his family's line of strong non-benders

        Loading editor
    • Indeed. 

      Also , I know the creators want to keep it a secret , but if I were them when Rohan was born I would have made him blow some wind in Pema's face just for laughs. Though I admit the situation was to tense for that. But it could have been fun:D

        Loading editor
    • If they did that it would be nice to make it look like he was airbending so she stresses out and later find out it he was just breathing and he's a non-bender and then she can be as calm as Tenzin (tries to be) is. Some would call it trolling; I'd call it getting punk'd in the episodes where they laugh at the end and no one cries

        Loading editor
    • That would be awesome indeed. :D I can't wait for Book 2 to come out. Also tomorrow The Search part 1 is coming out who else is excited :D?

        Loading editor
    • Wow March came fast! I can't wait to read The Search

        Loading editor
    • He could just as easily be a firebender. We don't know Pema's background, so it's concievable. I had this idea once that Pema had one firebender parent and one earthbender parent (just like Mako and Bolin - maybe she's their long-lost big sister!). She now has four children with Tenzin, who is the child of an airbender and a waterbender. Those four kids are the descendants of all four nations. Though I'm not sure how to explain the fact that at least three out of four of those kids bend only one element. I guess that's the Spirit World's way of deciding that the world needs more airbenders.

        Loading editor
    • That's definitely possible. I made this thread since because of the mystery of Pema, Rohan could technically bend anything. It would be really cool to have a descendant of Aang firebend after Fire Lord Sozin wiped out his people. A nice kind of irony (this is a total fragment, but I couldn't think of anymore to add)

        Loading editor
    • You guys are idiots. Rohan is going to be an airbender! Not because he has a linked past or some other crap, but because Katara said so! In "Welcome to Republic City" a pregnant Pema shows up and Katara sees a strong airbender in the baby. Pema freaked out, saying that she wanted a normal person.

        Loading editor
    • Wow, way to keep a civil tongue there, anon.

      Honestly, I think that was just Katara being a grandma and telling Pema what she though she wanted to hear, layered beneath some "ancient wisdom" or grandma's intuition.

      Besides, how would that even work? Did she bend some of the amniotic fluid in Pema's uterus to check the baby's reaction?

        Loading editor
    • I remember her saying another bender, but politeness is always appreciated when expressing an opinion

        Loading editor
    • Again, I think that was just some old-timey intuition (read: hopeful guessing). There was no way for her to actually know if the baby was a bender or not. No such power has been revealed to exist within the spheres of the Avatar world.

        Loading editor
    • Definitely. I was replying to anon by the way

        Loading editor
    • Ah, my bad.

        Loading editor
    • No problem. I should've quoted him/her

        Loading editor
    • Maybe he'll be a mistbender. Air and water combined! 

      And no, I'm not serious.

        Loading editor
    • Probably nonbending. His mom really wanted a nonbender like herself, and I think that there's a limit to how many benders can be born to the same person. Also, maybe the spirit world makes bargains? She helped Korra out, she gets nonbender kid. On the flip side, she could have secretly been an Equalist, providing Amon with information on Korra's plans.

      -The Four Nations are meant to be just that: Four!

        Loading editor
    • I'm kinda hoping he turns out to be a waterbender. It would be interesting to see how a non-airbender bender's abilities develop in a different cultural environment.

        Loading editor
    • He should an airbender, so the 4 kids kids, can lead the 4 temples.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, and Meelo can dedicate a whole wing of one of the temples to the noble art of fartbending.

        Loading editor
    • The Air Nomad Critic wrote:
      I'm kinda hoping he turns out to be a waterbender. It would be interesting to see how a non-airbender bender's abilities develop in a different cultural environment.

      I'd like that. That'll mean Katara could move to the Air Temple and teach him waterbending if A) Korra or someone else (probably less awesome than Katara) doesn't do it and B) She lives long enough for his bending (or non-bending) to manifest itself

      For the four kids leading the four temples, I don't know if that will happen. I see them living in the world like "regular people" for some reason. Not to say that the Air Nomads shouldn't make a comeback, but in my mind it's in the future with their descendants. I don't know they're all 5-10 so I can't really predict their paths in life

        Loading editor
    • What about a fire bender?

        Loading editor
    • ^I've had Rohan as everything or nothing. I haven't ruled out firebender because Pema's not in any nation. After the war, the Fire Nation wasn't the enemy anymore (except for that hiccup in The Promise), so it was possible for people from the Fire Nation to be accepted by other nations and even get married to people from those nations. Or, Pema could be a descendant of colonials from somewhere like Yu Dao, who'd been living together since before the war. I'm sure she has Earth Kingdom ancestry because no one else has been seen with green eyes, but she could have Fire Nation too. I said somewhere that it'd be cool to have a firebender descend from Aang since the Fire Nation destroyed his people

        Loading editor
    • This is kinda off topic, but imagine how hard it must of been for Bumi. He was the only non bender in a family full of master benders.

        Loading editor
    • Groxhugger wrote: Probably nonbending. His mom really wanted a nonbender like herself, and I think that there's a limit to how many benders can be born to the same person.

      Katara said he was a bender. Period.

        Loading editor
    • @Thedestinedone I don't know if it would be much harder for him than it was for Sokka. He only had one bender in his family, but a bunch of bending friends. He felt useless until he found a master swordsman. Bumi might have it better actually. Someone commented that he has a great non-bending uncle and grandfather (maybe even an aunt if Sokka married Suki). They managed to find ways to be useful without bending. Since he's a commander in the military, it looks like he followed in their footsteps

        Loading editor
    • @ Earth Kingdom

      Come to think of it, yea, we really don't know which nation Pema is descended from. Her alleles are a bit of a wild card.

      @ Thedestinedone

      Considering he's so far up the pecking order in the United Forces, something tells me he more than makes up for his lack of bending. For some reason I always picture him dual wielding electrified macanas and wading into battle.

        Loading editor
    • For me, I would think he would either be a non-bender (THE SHOW WOULD BE SO BORING) , an airbender (It would be funny if he released a stream of air when he burped or knocked Korra or his siblings down with airbending) or a waterbender (oh god).

        Loading editor
    • Katara already said that she sensed another airbender in their future, plus, according to another thread, people say that it's impossible for an air nomad to not be an airbender (although I'm not sure how much I agree with that), and considering there's a family with three kids that are all benders, it's obvious that Tenzin has the dominant allele.

        Loading editor
    • katara's quip doesn't hold much merit - there's no way to see the future in this canon. she was just musing, much like what expectant mothers and their friends and family do IRL.

      other than that, rohan's not gonna be doing any bending of any kind for a while - as seen in the animatics, he's still in pema's arms. but as he gets older, he'll probs be an airbender. bryke wouldn't do anything else, considering the air nomads need repopulating.

      also, all air nomads were airbenders, and none were ever (that we've seen so far) non-benders

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote: katara's quip doesn't hold much merit - there's no way to see the future in this canon. she was just musing, much like what expectant mothers and their friends and family do IRL.

      Umm.. I beg to differ. She seemed pretty knowledgable in the show, considering she birthed an airbender herself. Also, if Rohan's an air nomad, that makes him automatically an airbender soo... but is he an air nomad?

        Loading editor
    • Considering neonatal care in the Avatar world doesn't seem to have progressed much, I'm guessing Katara was just being a grandma and telling Pema what she thought the young mother wanted to hear. After all, making more airbenders is extremely important.

        Loading editor
    • The Air Nomad Critic wrote:
      Considering neonatal care in the Avatar world doesn't seem to have progressed much, I'm guessing Katara was just being a grandma and telling Pema what she thought the young mother wanted to hear. After all, making more airbenders is extremely important.

      I wonder how Tenzin's kids are going to marry another airbender...

      Lol, probably not (they will most likely marry another kind of bender), anyway, I seriously doubt we're going to be see much of Rohan in the future. I hope he is a bender though.

        Loading editor
    • I'd imagine they'd probably marry (or be pressured to marry) one of the non-bending Air Acolytes. Less chance of producing a non-desirable bender and all that.

        Loading editor
    • ^I see them marrying anyone if left to their own devices. Jinora, the hopeless romantic, will probably fall for someone Tenzin hates. Meelo might marry an Air Acolyte. I see him using Aang's marble trick to try to impress one. Ikki just needs someone who can keep up with her when she talks. I wouldn't be surprised if they just went off and started families with people from around the world

      Going off-topic on my own thread now:

      We don't see much of the Acolytes, but is it safe to assume you're born into that? Can someone just become an Air Acolyte or are they descended from the fangirls from The Promise?

        Loading editor
    • I always assumed one could simply join, as more people joining would further ensure the Air Nomad culture would not fade so easily or would be as easily wiped out.

        Loading editor
    • That makes sense

        Loading editor
    • One has to wonder, though, if there is any prosletysing on the part of the Air Acolytes, especially since their numbers are so few. One wonders if there are Air Preachers trying to get people to embrace the non-violent, environmentally friendly, and humble culture of the Air Nomads in an increasingly materialistic and industrialized world.

        Loading editor
    • They might have to at some point. The Acolytes don't seem to be having children at all, let alone amongst themselves so they'll need converts. I haven't seen any children on Air temple Island so far besides Tenzin's kids. I think they'd be more likely to find willing converts outside of the city or maybe in small villsges with less development. Maybe they could recruit some non-extremist Equalists. They are a group made up of non-benders based on a society that seemed to endorse equality

        Loading editor
    • Thats a good point...

      Why aren't they having children? I mean, the Air Nomads had monks and nuns, but they were freely allowed to procreate.

        Loading editor
    • They seem to be living like traditionally chaste monks and nuns. Tenzin and Pema seem to be the only two who've even been on a date. I have a feeling if Tenzin stayed with Lin, Pema would've been alone for life. It doesn't seem to me like Air Acolytes are expected to get married or that any of them want to. Those are just my assumptions based off of the few seconds of background screen time they got

        Loading editor
    • That's a little odd considering the fact they should marry and have children just for the sake of reviving the Air Nomad culture even though they will no longer be an all bending nation like they used to. Sadly the only ones who can carry that gene are Tenzin's kids so maybe that's why the Air Acolytes can live like monks and nuns because they don't have to procreate seeing as they are not benders. Just assumptions here.

        Loading editor
    • Such a shame, to never know the warmth of a lover's caress...

      Especially since the low population is dreadfully low, low enough so that the Air Acolytes are in just as much danger of being wiped out as their bending predecessors.

        Loading editor
    • i don't think the population is that low tanc. there were a lot of acolytes seen in lok. also, if more can join anytime, i don't think it's a problem.

        Loading editor
    • Well Katara predicted that he would be a strong airbender, so airbender is the most likely in my opinion

        Loading editor
    • He's probably gonna be a water bender. Seeing as he comes from a family of air and water benders.

        Loading editor
    • He's going to be a water bender. when Katara was feeling Pena's tummy she felt Rohan water bender in there

        Loading editor
    • Pema Stop doting on me. I'm not helpless, I'm just pregnant.
      Both Tenzin and Pema lay their hands on her protruding belly. The camera moves back to show how Pema descends the last few steps off the bison's tail. Katara walks up to her, and gives her a hug.
      Katara The baby's strong. [Cut to Pema's stomach, as Katara keeps her hand on it. Camera pans above to show a smiling Pema.] I see another airbender in your future.
      Suddenly, Pema's face becomes slightly unhappy. Cut to a side shot as she starts talking to Katara.

      From  Transcript:Welcome to Republic City  The assumption is Katara was talking about the current baby that Pema was carrying.  What if Pema and Tenzin have another child after Rohan?  Maybe Rohan was a non-bender, or other bender.  Won't know for maybe 3 to 4 years if Rohan is a bender of any kind?  Korra was 4 years old. Meelo was less than 5.  probably Book 5 if it existed.

        Loading editor
    • Actually, four was when they discovered Korra was the Avatar, not necessarily that she was a waterbender. Anyway, I agree with the rest of your post, there's no guarantee that Rohan's any kind of bender.

        Loading editor
    • Oh, yeah. you are right.  After that episode, I wondered if Korra as a baby used to waterbend while nursing.  That would be -- interesting for Senna.  Little milk bubbles floating by.  Korra clapping her hands.  haha And I didn't know until this season 2  that Senna was a waterbender, too.  Guess I missed something in season 1.  Oh well.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan does definitely have water tribe blood in him since is grandma is a Waterbender.So it's possible he could be a Waterbender. But we don't know what Pema is. She could be Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation. So it's POSSIBLE he could have Earth Kingdom blood or Fire Nation blood in him. So it's possible(but like 1% likely) that he could bend Fire or Earth.

        Loading editor
    • 4 airbenders, 4  Air temples to be populated 

      half of them to be populated by female aibenders as decendants of Jinora and Ikki (western and eastern air temples)

      the other half to be populated by male airbenders as decendents of Meelo AND! Rohan (northern and Southern air temples)

      the ballance would only make sense If Rohan were an Airbender.

      On the other hand, there is the possability that Rohan is not the last child of Tenzin and pema considering that She is still fit to bear another child.

        Loading editor
    • Totaldramavictorious wrote:
      Rohan does definitely have water tribe blood in him since is grandma is a Waterbender.So it's possible he could be a Waterbender. But we don't know what Pema is. She could be Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation. So it's POSSIBLE he could have Earth Kingdom blood or Fire Nation blood in him. So it's possible(but like 1% likely) that he could bend Fire or Earth.

      Pema is a non bender.In the last episode of Book1 she said that she wanted him to be like her a non bender

        Loading editor
    • True, but non-benders might still be able to carry the bending gene. The genetics are still unclear at this point, but there is a possibility Pema might have a stray firebending or earthbending allele tucked away.

        Loading editor
    • I almost forgot this thread existed

      To pretty much echo TANC, Katara and Toph's parents were non-benders, but each had a child that became a powerful bender

        Loading editor
    • Um, [this] heavily implies he is, saying he has potential as an airbender, not to be one. It's on slide 5.

        Loading editor
    • In my previous post, I offered almost positive proof...and I would be very joyful to get a response.

        Loading editor
    • I have an feeling Tenizen will get so overhyped with the Air nation restoration that if Rohan is a not an Airbender, he will disown him

        Loading editor
    • @Goldendragon611

      That's interesting. I don't think we'll know for sure yet since he's only about 1. I'd believe it if it happened on the show or Bryke said it rather than just being on Nick.com though.

      @Thinklogic

      That would be uncharacteristically evil of him, haha! Even Ozai waited 13 years to banish a son that he found disappointing

        Loading editor
    • If Rohan is a bender at all than he'll be an airbender. Case closed.

        Loading editor
    • Earth Kingdom wrote:
      Am I only one who think Rohan might be an earthbender? Pema's a non-bender with green eyes so she's most likely a descendant of people from the Earth Kingdom. It's possible she has earthbenders in her family and could pass that on to Rohan. It's total speculation and maybe even a stretch, since I don't know Pema's background, but I think it would be interesting to have 5 airbenders (Aang, Tenzin, and kids), 2 waterbenders (Katara and Kya), and 1 earthbender (Rohan?) in one family. I'd like to know how anyone else thinks about Rohan's bending potential. Airbender, waterbender, non-bender or (maybe very unlikely) earthbender?

      We can't even be sure by the eyes.  Remember:  there are some waterbenders who don't have tanned skin or blue eyes and there are some firebenders and earthbenders who lack the amber eyes and green eyes respectively.

        Loading editor
    • Afrobender wrote:
      If Rohan is a bender at all than he'll be an airbender. Case closed.

      As far as we know, he could be a waterbender. His aunt is a waterbender and if Bumi inherited non-bending from his uncle it's possible.

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      If Rohan is a bender at all than he'll be an airbender. Case closed.
      As far as we know, he could be a waterbender. His aunt is a waterbender and if Bumi inherited non-bending from his uncle it's possible.

      You dont need non-bending ascestors to give birth to non-benders

      Remember Sokka's master. Both parents were Firebenders but still a non-bender. He got disowned for that

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      If Rohan is a bender at all than he'll be an airbender. Case closed.
      As far as we know, he could be a waterbender. His aunt is a waterbender and if Bumi inherited non-bending from his uncle it's possible.

      He won't be a waterbender because neither of his parents are waterbenders.

        Loading editor
    • Katara's parents were both non-bender, yet she was a water bender. 

      I thought benders would always have benders as sons, I didn't know they could be born non-benders. I thought it was due to an uncle or a grandfather when that was the case(like Bumi). 

        Loading editor
    • I'm thinking he'll be a non-bender like Pema or an airbender. Though, with his genetics, waterbending or earthbending is possible, too

        Loading editor
    • All of Pema's kids (except Rohan) are airbenders.  There's a very strong possibility that Rohan will develop airbending

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      I'm thinking he'll be a non-bender like Pema or an airbender. Though, with his genetics, waterbending or earthbending is possible, too

      Wait, earthbender? Am I missing something?

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      I'm thinking he'll be a non-bender like Pema or an airbender. Though, with his genetics, waterbending or earthbending is possible, too
      Wait, earthbender? Am I missing something?

      I remember someone said since Pema has EK background, she could have earthbending genes

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, she said she joined the Air Nomads so she must have come from one of the other three kingdoms. She certainly doesn't look like the typical Fire Nation or Water Tribe character. That just leaves us with the EK.

        Loading editor
    • Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.

        Loading editor
    • Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.

      Says who?

        Loading editor
    • Rohan will be a Firebender. Call it 'genetic mutation'. 

        Loading editor
    • ROhan is an airbender. Case closed.

      Katara is not just ordinary grandma.

      She is the best healer in the world.

      To be a healer, a waterbender must learn hundreds of acupuncture points in human body and also energy/chi in someone's body. She has healed a lot of people as long as she live - bender and nonbender. Of course she can determine and recognize one's chi by just touching their body even if he/she is still conceived by their mother. From one's chi, she can determine if she/he is a bender or nonbenber.

        Loading editor
    • Didu.punya wrote:
      ROhan is an airbender. Case closed.

      The case will NOT be closed until it is revealed. So your speculation is as good as anyone's. 

        Loading editor
    • WampaLumpa wrote:
      Didu.punya wrote:
      ROhan is an airbender. Case closed.
      The case will NOT be closed until it is revealed. So your speculation is as good as anyone's. 

      What to reveal??

      What speculation??

      I think you should re-watch korra season 1 book 1

      Back at you,,,,so you think katara was just talking non-sense when she touched pema's belly???

        Loading editor
    • Didu.punya wrote:
      WampaLumpa wrote:
      Didu.punya wrote:
      ROhan is an airbender. Case closed.
      The case will NOT be closed until it is revealed. So your speculation is as good as anyone's. 
      What to reveal??

      What speculation??

      I think you should re-watch korra season 1 book 1

      Back at you,,,,so you think katara was just talking non-sense when she touched pema's belly???

      Pema said that she wanted a non-bender and Katara didn't say anything, which means it is possible that it is a non-bender. And all she did was touch her, she didn't go trough any healing process to be a 100% sure it's an airbender, if that process even exists.

      All she said was "I predict another airbender", anyone could have said that since 3/3 children they had up until then were airbenders.

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      Didu.punya wrote:
      WampaLumpa wrote:
      Didu.punya wrote:
      ROhan is an airbender. Case closed.
      The case will NOT be closed until it is revealed. So your speculation is as good as anyone's. 
      What to reveal??

      What speculation??

      I think you should re-watch korra season 1 book 1

      Back at you,,,,so you think katara was just talking non-sense when she touched pema's belly???

      Pema said that she wanted a non-bender and Katara didn't say anything, which means it is possible that it is a non-bender. And all she did was touch her, she didn't go trough any healing process to be a 100% sure it's an airbender, if that process even exists.

      All she said was "I predict another airbender", anyone could have said that since 3/3 children they had up until then were airbenders.

      Nooo,,,she didn't say "predict"....katara said that she "see another airbender in the future",,,,well, that's stateent is so full of certainty.

      Pema said that "all she ever wanted"....that statement is her wish as a nonbender mother with 3 airbender children whose always gets wind-blast in the face every 5 seconds.

      Once again, katara is the best healer in the world. And as the previous avatar's wife, i'm sure her spiritual side become stronger. By touching pema's belly and getting know what's the child will become is not a hard case for her i think.

        Loading editor
    • To "see another airbender in the future" is to predict. I don't care if she's the best healer in history of Avatar, with just touching Pema's belly(unless stated otherwise) she can't know with certainty that's going to be an airbender.

      When Pema said she wanted a non-bender, if Katara was sure it would be an air bender she would have said something like: "Well, sorry but it's an airbender." but she didn't, implying he might be a non-bender.

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?

      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      To "see another airbender in the future" is to predict. I don't care if she's the best healer in history of Avatar, with just touching Pema's belly(unless stated otherwise) she can't know with certainty that's going to be an airbender.

      When Pema said she wanted a non-bender, if Katara was sure it would be an air bender she would have said something like: "Well, sorry but it's an airbender." but she didn't, implying he might be a non-bender.

      This is what exactly katara said..."the baby is strong, i see another airbender in the future"...

      That is enough to answer this thread. Case Closed.

        Loading editor
    • Didu.punya wrote:
      Urano23 wrote:
      To "see another airbender in the future" is to predict. I don't care if she's the best healer in history of Avatar, with just touching Pema's belly(unless stated otherwise) she can't know with certainty that's going to be an airbender.

      When Pema said she wanted a non-bender, if Katara was sure it would be an air bender she would have said something like: "Well, sorry but it's an airbender." but she didn't, implying he might be a non-bender.

      This is what exactly katara said..."the baby is strong, i see another airbender in the future"...

      That is enough to answer this thread. Case Closed.

      "My word is law, you are wrong and I'm right. There's no right to discuss".

      Ok.

        Loading editor
    • Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.

      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

        Loading editor
    • Urano23 wrote:
      Didu.punya wrote:
      Urano23 wrote:
      To "see another airbender in the future" is to predict. I don't care if she's the best healer in history of Avatar, with just touching Pema's belly(unless stated otherwise) she can't know with certainty that's going to be an airbender.

      When Pema said she wanted a non-bender, if Katara was sure it would be an air bender she would have said something like: "Well, sorry but it's an airbender." but she didn't, implying he might be a non-bender.

      This is what exactly katara said..."the baby is strong, i see another airbender in the future"...

      That is enough to answer this thread. Case Closed.

      "My word is law, you are wrong and I'm right. There's no right to discuss".

      Ok.

      Whatever kid....

        Loading editor
    • Has anyone thought that Pema might have a fifth child?

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote:
      Has anyone thought that Pema might have a fifth child?

      Once she sees Suyin could handle it, maybe. Tenzin is aware of Suyin owning 5 children but wealth may come into play here. The Beifong family is rich but Tenzin eh not so much

        Loading editor
    • They don't seem to be doing badly with a huge influx of new benders so I can't imagine another child being a problem.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan was the potential for air bending and water bending. Mike and bryan confimed that bending was genetic

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders


      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

        Loading editor
    • Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

      Yes, and Rohan has ancestry from the Water tribes and the EK (possibly), so he has the potential to be an earthbender (possibly) or watebender

        Loading editor
    • So, what, about four options: nonbender, airbender, earthbender, or waterbender?

        Loading editor
    • QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

      Yes, and Rohan has ancestry from the Water tribes and the EK (possibly), so he has the potential to be an earthbender (possibly) or watebender

      Rohan's father is an airbender, though. If he is a bender, than he will be an airbender.

        Loading editor
    • Afrobender wrote:

      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

      Yes, and Rohan has ancestry from the Water tribes and the EK (possibly), so he has the potential to be an earthbender (possibly) or watebender

      Rohan's father is an airbender, though. If he is a bender, than he will be an airbender.

      No. Bending is genetic. It was confirmed by the creators. Rohan is of Earth Kingdom, Air Nomad and water tribe descent. He has the potential for Water bending, earth bending and Air bending. Though air bending is the most likely

        Loading editor
    • actually, they confirmed that bending is not genetic. they didn't want it to be something that was passed down in families that would rule over people who didn't have bending.

      they said that you have sort of a genetic potential to develop bending, but if you don't develop it and work on it, then you don't become a bender. and you've got up until like puberty to do so.

      it's like drawing, or riding a bike or really any other learned skill.

        Loading editor
    • The said it was mostly genetic. They stated it in the Q&A they did on the Wiki last month.

        Loading editor
    • i just sifted throught that thread... they didn't comment on bending inheritance.

        Loading editor
    • Intelligence4 wrote:
      i just sifted throught that thread... they didn't comment on bending inheritance.

      True, someone asked them and their answer was a joke, so I guess they're leaving it ambiguous

        Loading editor
    • If non bending is the recessive allele then Rohan can't be an earth or water bender. Because pema must be homozygous in the recessive non bending allele so she can't pass on the other bending genes. This is only if bending is genetic though

        Loading editor
    • AvatarReiko wrote:

      Afrobender wrote:

      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

      Yes, and Rohan has ancestry from the Water tribes and the EK (possibly), so he has the potential to be an earthbender (possibly) or watebender
      Rohan's father is an airbender, though. If he is a bender, than he will be an airbender.

      No. Bending is genetic. It was confirmed by the creators. Rohan is of Earth Kingdom, Air Nomad and water tribe descent. He has the potential for Water bending, earth bending and Air bending. Though air bending is the most likely


      If bending is genetic, than that backs me up even more. His father is an airbender so he will inherit airbending.

        Loading editor
    • Avatarluffy2204 wrote:
      If non bending is the recessive allele then Rohan can't be an earth or water bender. Because pema must be homozygous in the recessive non bending allele so she can't pass on the other bending genes. This is only if bending is genetic though

      Exactly!

        Loading editor
    • Did we forget that HC effect? Wouldn't that add the possibility of non-genetic factors?

        Loading editor
    • AvatarReiko wrote:

      Afrobender wrote:

      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      QueenCeline wrote:
      Afrobender wrote:
      Pema is a non bender, but she has either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry or both. It doesn't matter, though, because since Tenzin is an airbender, any children they have will either be non benders or airbenders.
      Says who?
      Logic. I mean my reasoning hasn't been disproven yet.
      But by that logic, Katara shouldn't have been a waterbdner, nor Toph an earthbender since theri parents were non-benders

      How does my logic show that?

      Katara's a waterbender because she's from the Water Tribe. Toph is an earthbender because she's from the Earth Kingdom.

      Yes, and Rohan has ancestry from the Water tribes and the EK (possibly), so he has the potential to be an earthbender (possibly) or watebender

      Rohan's father is an airbender, though. If he is a bender, than he will be an airbender.

      No. Bending is genetic. It was confirmed by the creators. Rohan is of Earth Kingdom, Air Nomad and water tribe descent. He has the potential for Water bending, earth bending and Air bending. Though air bending is the most likely

      If bending is genetic, then how do nonbenders produce benders?

        Loading editor
    • Rohan is a water bender, that is how he bent the juice onto himself in the finale

        Loading editor
    • I wanted one line from that kid! Couldn't they have taken a few from Meelo?

        Loading editor
    • If bending is genetic, then how do nonbenders produce benders?

      Also how does the two identic twins from the EK are bender and non-bender if it's genetic? But if it's not genetic how come a firebenders couple can't produce an eathbender?

      This is just too hard.

        Loading editor
    • Plot related reasons overriding possible realistic ones?

        Loading editor
    • Pssst.

      I remember a while back someone mentioned Ikki resembles/acts like Ty Lee.

      Food for thought.

        Loading editor
    • There's a theory that Tenzin's wife is Ty Lee's daughter.

        Loading editor
    • Jessica Diamond wrote: Rohan is a water bender, that is how he bent the juice onto himself in the finale

      Who says he bent it? He could have just SPILLED it, you know!

        Loading editor
    • In the end, it doesn't matter. HC gave all people with airbending potential airbending, such as Bumi, the son of Aang. It'd be almost impossible for Rohan to not have gained airbending, since he is every bit as much as "airbender blooded" s Bumi.

        Loading editor
    • SaitamaBro wrote:
      There's a theory that Tenzin's wife is Ty Lee's daughter.

      If I recall correctly, the fanon in question is that Pema is the late-in-life daughter of Ty Lee and Teo.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan Isn't a bender, as far as I can tell. He's wearing the uniform of an air acolyte. Not a wingsuit or the Airbender training garb. I'm pretty sure Pema got her wish and he's a non-bender.

        Loading editor
    • Soozin27 wrote: Pssst.

      I remember a while back someone mentioned Ikki resembles/acts like Ty Lee.

      Food for thought.

      I think that's just coincidence. People were saying it about Jinora, mostly, but if you look at her she's been designed to look like a female Aang with a different eye shape and a pointy chin. She looks like Ty Lee because Ty Lee already looks like a female Aang. Just put her hair on him and you'll see what I'm, talking about. (In my headcanon Ty Lee is descended from the Air Nomads, and thus gained her appearance, agilty and personality.)

        Loading editor
    • Falconfly wrote:
      It'd be almost impossible for Rohan to not have gained airbending, since he is every bit as much as "airbender blooded" s Bumi.

      Except that Katara, his grandmother is a water bender. Neither Katara parents or her grandparents were benders, yet she got water bending. It can skip generations. 

      Bumi is only half Air Nomad. Rohan is only qauter.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:
      SaitamaBro wrote:
      There's a theory that Tenzin's wife is Ty Lee's daughter.
      If I recall correctly, the fanon in question is that Pema is the late-in-life daughter of Ty Lee and Teo.


      If that's true, then that would make Pema half Fire Nation and half Earth Kingdom. And with Tenzin being half Air Nomad and half Water Tribe, that means their kids are descended from all four nations. That's rather poetic.

        Loading editor
    • Avatar Steve wrote:
      Deist Zealot wrote:
      SaitamaBro wrote:
      There's a theory that Tenzin's wife is Ty Lee's daughter.
      If I recall correctly, the fanon in question is that Pema is the late-in-life daughter of Ty Lee and Teo.

      If that's true, then that would make Pema half Fire Nation and half Earth Kingdom. And with Tenzin being half Air Nomad and half Water Tribe, that means their kids are descended from all four nations. That's rather poetic.

      Reminds me of the time I asked. "What is probability of having four children all with different bending abilities"

      Katara has shown you can inherit bending from grandparents and you can have 4 grandparents. Two from mom, two from dad

        Loading editor
    • Has anyone seen the height comparison photo for the airbenders? It was made in preparation for Book 4 and contains every member of the new airbenders including Tenzin, Korra and the three kids. Rohan isn't there, and if he bent air I'm sure he would be.

        Loading editor
    • Maybe because Rohan is a little to young to be let to participate in training. I guess. My math isn't good but he should be around four? 

        Loading editor
    • also, I think Rohan is a plot hole. The writers simply didn't have time to devlop him after making him such a big deal in book 1 so they just tossed him aside and just had him make cameos here and there.

        Loading editor
    • MasterAirbender02 wrote:
      also, I think Rohan is a plot hole. The writers simply didn't have time to devlop him after making him such a big deal in book 1 so they just tossed him aside and just had him make cameos here and there.

      That's not what a plot hole is, he is simply a wasted character. Though honestly I don't know what they could do with a baby.

        Loading editor
    • There's a number of wasted characters in book 4 so Rohan shouldn't feel too alone.

        Loading editor
    • MasterAirbender02 wrote:
      Maybe because Rohan is a little to young to be let to participate in training. I guess. My math isn't good 

      Mine neither. xD

      Sorry, I know, so off-topic.. 

      I kind of remember to have read somehwere that it was confirmed by Bryke that Rohan is or will be an airbender. And I don't think Harmonic Convergence could've influenced the physical bending possibilities. And I don't know if HC "works" for babies who were supposed to be non-benders..

        Loading editor
    • my mitake sorry - I mean wasted character not plot hole. I thought of Rohan as a plot hole in the snese that he was used as a plot device in book 1 to advance the story but since then he was tossed aside. my mistake really.

        Loading editor
    • Well Mike and Bryan said that HC gave random people airbending so apparently it can influence physical bending.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, but only non-benders not any person. And we don't know if Rohan's an airbender or a non-bender. Maybe HC has made his airbending skills a bit more powerful - if he's got any - but othern than that, I'd say it didn't have any impact on him at all.

        Loading editor
    • I still have my money on him being an airbender though, for Pema's sake, I wish he was a non-bender. 

      Agreed, my mistake, only non-benders not any random person.  I don't think the HC has made anyone's bending more powerful. If that were the case they would have focused on it and told us through one of the characters - most likely Tenzin.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan is an airbender Im sure. Look at his page its orange theme means ir means hes an airbender. And look at the transcript on book 3 ep 1. Tenzin said about changing an airbender diaper everytime. Its rohan for sure!!

        Loading editor
    • He probably is because airbending is dominant especially when the other parent is a non-bender.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarMJC wrote: Rohan is an airbender Im sure. Look at his page its orange theme means ir means hes an airbender.

      The orange theme means he is a member of the Air Nation. Pema and the Acolytes have it too and they don't bend anything.

        Loading editor
    • One can argue Pema bends Tenzin haha

        Loading editor
    • AvatarMJC wrote:
      Rohan is an airbender Im sure. Look at his page its orange theme means ir means hes an airbender. And look at the transcript on book 3 ep 1. Tenzin said about changing an airbender diaper everytime. Its rohan for sure!!

      That doesn't necessarily mean it's Rohan.  It could also be Jinora, Ikki or Meelo.

        Loading editor
    • AvatarMJC wrote:
      Rohan is an airbender Im sure. Look at his page its orange theme means ir means hes an airbender. And look at the transcript on book 3 ep 1. Tenzin said about changing an airbender diaper everytime. Its rohan for sure!!

      He was saying that his meeting with Daw was the first time he met an airbender whose diaper he didn't have to change. In other words, he was saying this was the first airbender he'd met that wasn't his own child. It doesn't mean he meant Rohan

        Loading editor
    • Rohan is an airbender for sure.  All of Tenzin's other kids are.  Poor Pema hasn't had a chance to pass her non-bending genes!

        Loading editor
    • Boomubbles wrote:

      Jessica Diamond wrote: Rohan is a water bender, that is how he bent the juice onto himself in the finale

      Who says he bent it? He could have just SPILLED it, you know!

      It was meant as sort of a joke, obviously he COULD have spilled it, but bending it at that age is funnier, and apprapo that in the finale, he reveals he is a bender, but takes after his paternal grandmother's side.

      Meelo is proof that if he was an airbender, it would have been far more obvious by then, but since liquids would be in shorter supply around him, water bending might go unnoticed until he is completely on his own and not being constantly cared for.

      Pema wanted a non-airbender, Rohan being a water bender would be a great way for her to both get what she wanted and not, making for a better story.


      The only thing that would be better then Rohan being a Water-Bender, is if, as many people think Pema is the daughter of Ty Lee and Teo, that Rohan, being the combination of all for nations combined, is a Non-Avatar multi-elemental bender (which I think there are already more of, as implied by the White Lotus members who came to Korra's house having seen many potential avatars, implying others showed natural prowess in two or more elements, but none so much as Korra, and none showing the connection to past avatars)... I'd actually love it if they did another season where the 'Potentials' come out of the woodwork, maybe even meet Pema's younger brother, a slightly older then Korra Earth-Fire Bender, who mastered Lightning, Metal, and Lava Bending, as well as Chi Blocking, at a very young... and ends up being Korra's tutor in how to face multi-benders some who can match or even surpass her skills since they had less elements to focus on and were less protected and more imprisoned for their threat to the mythos of only the Avatar being able to use more then one element... maybe even show a low powered quad-element (all 4 core elements) bender who despises the Avatar and seeks out Vaatu to become the 2nd Dark Avatar (and beginning of a lineage as Wan started the Avatar Lineage).

        Loading editor
    • Jessica Diamond wrote:

      Boomubbles wrote:

      Jessica Diamond wrote: Rohan is a water bender, that is how he bent the juice onto himself in the finale

      Who says he bent it? He could have just SPILLED it, you know!

      It was meant as sort of a joke, obviously he COULD have spilled it, but bending it at that age is funnier, and apprapo that in the finale, he reveals he is a bender, but takes after his paternal grandmother's side.

      Meelo is proof that if he was an airbender, it would have been far more obvious by then, but since liquids would be in shorter supply around him, water bending might go unnoticed until he is completely on his own and not being constantly cared for.

      Pema wanted a non-airbender, Rohan being a water bender would be a great way for her to both get what she wanted and not, making for a better story.


      The only thing that would be better then Rohan being a Water-Bender, is if, as many people think Pema is the daughter of Ty Lee and Teo, that Rohan, being the combination of all for nations combined, is a Non-Avatar multi-elemental bender (which I think there are already more of, as implied by the White Lotus members who came to Korra's house having seen many potential avatars, implying others showed natural prowess in two or more elements, but none so much as Korra, and none showing the connection to past avatars)... I'd actually love it if they did another season where the 'Potentials' come out of the woodwork, maybe even meet Pema's younger brother, a slightly older then Korra Earth-Fire Bender, who mastered Lightning, Metal, and Lava Bending, as well as Chi Blocking, at a very young... and ends up being Korra's tutor in how to face multi-benders some who can match or even surpass her skills since they had less elements to focus on and were less protected and more imprisoned for their threat to the mythos of only the Avatar being able to use more then one element... maybe even show a low powered quad-element (all 4 core elements) bender who despises the Avatar and seeks out Vaatu to become the 2nd Dark Avatar (and beginning of a lineage as Wan started the Avatar Lineage).

      Unless there is some powerful darkness in the world that allows Vaatu to break free from Raava (and Korra), he won't be able to create a Dark Avatar for at least 10,000 years.

        Loading editor
    • You know what was dissapointing?

      That Tenzin's brother Bumi wasn't an earthbender like Aang's friend.  I was hoping he would be in the second season, but he was a nonbender and later an airbender in the third season.  Also I hope that's Rohan's an airbender too.

        Loading editor
    • Yamisora wrote:
      You know what was dissapointing?

      That Tenzin's brother Bumi wasn't an earthbender like Aang's friend.  I was hoping he would be in the second season, but he was a nonbender and later an airbender in the third season.  Also I hope that's Rohan's an airbender too.

      Why would Bumi have been an earthbender? Assuming bending potential is heriditary like most people think it is, he'd only have waterbending or airbending genes

        Loading editor
    • Bumi II being an earthbender would, to me, make no sense. Because Aang is an airbender/air nomad, and Katara is from the Southern Water Tribe. Thus it his very, very unlikely that the necessary genes or combination thereof would even be present, with no earthbenders anywhere up his family tree. There were three possibilities: He could be an airbender like his father, a waterbender like his mother, or a nonbender. He was a nonbender - until Harmonic Convergence randomly gave him airbending.

      I kinda hoped Rohan would be a non-bender like Pema, though his being a bender is more likely. But I do think that if he is a bender, odds are he will be either an airbender or a waterbender. Though as we know nothing whatsoever about Pema's heritage, there is a very small chance that, if she is from either Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation ancestry (or both), Rohan might end up another kind - but I think that is very unlikely.

        Loading editor
    • I think it would be kinda cool if they make Rohan an earthbender because then it would be interesting how he grows up in a basically all airbender family, while he has the opposite bending art, earthbending.

        Loading editor
    • It would be interesting, yeah. Being an Earthbender would mean he would have to find a bending teacher who was not his father or either his aunt or uncle, all of which are either airbenders or, in Kya's case, a waterbender. I still don't think it'd be very plausible. 

      If handled the right way, it would make for a good story though.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan is a bit too young for a side story about him with an alternative way of bending. Maybe if he was Meelo's age?

        Loading editor
    • - Before HC, no person with green eyes could bend any element other than earth. In fact, it works this way for all nations and their eye colors. To be logical and consistent with the story art, Rohan's being an earthbender is more likely than his being an airbender.

      - If he is later shown to be an airbender, then I would logically assume he became such after HC--in order to be consistent with the story art, of course.

        Loading editor
    • Not entirely true. The eye color doesn't necessarily match with the bending power one possesses since any kind of persons from all of the nations could start a relationship with each other after the Hundred Year War was over.

      For example: Tenzin and Pema got four kids who - let's assume - are all airbenders and although she has brown eyes, Jinora happens to be an airbender.

      Anything is possible; it's like in reality.

        Loading editor
    • Korra2000 wrote:
      Not entirely true. The eye color doesn't necessarily match with the bending power one possesses since any kind of persons from all of the nations could start a relationship with each other after the Hundred Year War was over.

      For example: Tenzin and Pema got four kids who - let's assume - are all airbenders and although she has brown eyes, Jinora happens to be an airbender.

      Anything is possible; it's like in reality.

      It's actually, entirely true. Your statement also is true, except the assumption about Rohan. But if you can find a character, before HC, with green eyes that could bend any element other than earth, then be my guest. Any example like this will do; for instance, having amber eyes and bending an element other than fire.

        Loading editor
    • Well, what about Ghazan? He has dark brown eyes and is an earth bender. And Baatar (and Opal before HC)? Both of them have green eyes, but are actually non-benders. And I'm sure that there can be e.g. someone with green eyes who's a firebender.

        Loading editor
    • The Big Bad Hippo might be one (hard to see in the images we have), The Dark One, one of the earthbending academy teenagers, Fong's look like they can be hazel, Ganbat's eyes are a bit hard to see, but they might not be green, Ghazan as mentioned, Kori Morishita (again, maybe, can go either way from the available images), pro-bender Ming, Penga, Skoochy, officer Song. These are just the earthbenders. You know, it's not that hard to look for them yourself. Eye color and bending element have always been a rule of thumb situation, correct in general, but not iron-clad.

        Loading editor
    • Correctly read what I posted and do not misinterpret. 

      "Before HC, no person with green eyes could bend any element other than earth--"

      This is different from a statement I haven't said, like the following:

      "Only people with green eyes can bend earth."

      I know the latter is false, which is why I'm not saying that. In other words, I'm saying the element to bend is not dependent on a specific eye color, but the eye color IS dependent on a specific element to bend. Thus, if you have green eyes AND you are a bender, then you are an earthbender. Until HC, this condition is iron-clad and has never been broken.

        Loading editor
    • But if eye color is dependent on bending element, it would be like saying "if you're blue eyed and a bender, you're a waterbender", which is false per Shaozu, which is pre HC. You're right that pre-HC, all green-eyed benders were earthbenders, but that's a very different thing from all green-eyed benders being earthbenders because they were green-eyed and benders, which I'm not sure if that's what you're saying. Correlation does not equal causation.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan is most likely either an airbender or a Waterbender.

        Loading editor
    • Omnibender wrote:
      But if eye color is dependent on bending element, it would be like saying "if you're blue eyed and a bender, you're a waterbender", which is false per Shaozu, which is pre HC. You're right that pre-HC, all green-eyed benders were earthbenders, but that's a very different thing from all green-eyed benders being earthbenders because they were green-eyed and benders, which I'm not sure if that's what you're saying. Correlation does not equal causation.

      - Shaozu's wiki page partially is false. His eyes are not blue, but a very light shade of grey. In The Spirit of Competition, Korra and Shaozu have a stare down in a restaurant. During which, both of their faces are very close to each other's and there is an obvious, huge contrast in eye color--as Korra's noticeably are blue, and Shaozu's noticeably are not. After this instance, if it can be definitively said that Shaozu's eye's are blue, then the sayer should see an optometrist.

      - Now you're shamming. I know the two are correlated and I haven't said one causes the other.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not saying you are, that's why I said "I'm not sure if that's what you're saying".

        Loading editor
    • Ok, that being said, Rohan's eye color is an indicator that if he is a bender, he likely is an earthbender. This is unless, before HC, he was a non-bender and then gained airbending after HC. Personally, I don't mind either way.

        Loading editor
    • Rohan's only 3 years old. Most benders don't start showing their abilities until they're at least 4.

        Loading editor
    • Even if Pema had ancestors from the Earth Kingdom (Who were also earth benders), the chances of her passing that kind of ability to Rohan are very slim (Not impossible), but i do agree that Rohan being an earth bender would add some variety to the family.

        Loading editor
    • Earth Kingdom wrote:
      @Thedestinedone I don't know if it would be much harder for him than it was for Sokka. He only had one bender in his family, but a bunch of bending friends. He felt useless until he found a master swordsman. Bumi might have it better actually. Someone commented that he has a great non-bending uncle and grandfather (maybe even an aunt if Sokka married Suki). They managed to find ways to be useful without bending. Since he's a commander in the military, it looks like he followed in their footsteps

      I think it is a factor. Since he actually mentions that no being a Bender, and not being a true member of the Earth Nation bothers him. A few times even.  But he is also pyschic as hell. He can communicate with animals and almost everyone but Tenzin adores him.

      It must have been quite annoying to go with Bumi on a Picnic, and he befriends the ants and squirrels trying to steal your lunch. Runs away and gets kidnapped by a giant bird who adopts him as his son.  And Ikki Jinora and Meelo seem to have the same gene and constantly make friends with animals instead of working.  Tenzin is like my dad who hates pets but his wife loves them, so he has to constantly deal with irrational animals ruining his peaceful life. People shoving friendly lemurs and poodle monkeys and dragons in his face... But I seriously digress.

        Loading editor
    • Whoops, I mistook Tahno for Shaozu in an earlier post. It's actually Tahno and Korra who have a stare down. But soon after Naga scares Tahno, all the Wolfbats are in frame and it's clear that all of their eyes (for whatever strange reason) are a light shade of grey.

        Loading editor
    • It would be interesting if Rohan was a firebender. He's probably better off as an airbender anyway.

        Loading editor
    • If he is a bender, he won't be anything other than an earthbender.

        Loading editor
    • KariBeifong wrote:
      Even if Pema had ancestors from the Earth Kingdom (Who were also earth benders), the chances of her passing that kind of ability to Rohan are very slim (Not impossible), but i do agree that Rohan being an earth bender would add some variety to the family.

      It would certainly force Tenzin to think about his new Air Nation and what consitutes nationality. For example, it always seemed that the Air Acolytes were never really considered the Air Nation in LoK. This would also extend to other possibilies like a new Airbender wanted to go to RC and bring his/her family who were non-benders or bent other elements.

        Loading editor
    • Kubernes wrote:
      KariBeifong wrote:
      Even if Pema had ancestors from the Earth Kingdom (Who were also earth benders), the chances of her passing that kind of ability to Rohan are very slim (Not impossible), but i do agree that Rohan being an earth bender would add some variety to the family.
      It would certainly force Tenzin to think about his new Air Nation and what consitutes nationality. For example, it always seemed that the Air Acolytes were never really considered the Air Nation in LoK. This would also extend to other possibilies like a new Airbender wanted to go to RC and bring his/her family who were non-benders or bent other elements.

      Since it's completely up to Tenzin, I don't think he will let any more people in who aren't airbenders since that's what makes up the lifestyle anyway. He'll probably be more rigid about it later on.

        Loading editor
    • i myself believe that since he holds his family close to him he would be more than willing to make exceptions in some cases

        Loading editor
    • I don't understand why some think Rohan is likely to be an Earthbender when he could just be a non-bender.

        Loading editor
    • Hasn't it already been reasoned that there are chances for both, but the most logical inference for any possible bending ability he might have is earthbending? Think so, several times...

        Loading editor
    • A pity they didn't continue.

        Loading editor
    • Aggression25 wrote: I don't understand why some think Rohan is likely to be an Earthbender when he could just be a non-bender.

      I was wondering this as well, so I scrolled back through the thread to see.

      Because he has green eyes.

      That's what the whole "he must be an earthbender" thing hinges on.

      To this thread's credit, a lot of people pointed out the problems in this line of reasoning.

        Loading editor
    • Eo bablybut wrote:
      Kubernes wrote:
      KariBeifong wrote:
      Even if Pema had ancestors from the Earth Kingdom (Who were also earth benders), the chances of her passing that kind of ability to Rohan are very slim (Not impossible), but i do agree that Rohan being an earth bender would add some variety to the family.
      It would certainly force Tenzin to think about his new Air Nation and what consitutes nationality. For example, it always seemed that the Air Acolytes were never really considered the Air Nation in LoK. This would also extend to other possibilies like a new Airbender wanted to go to RC and bring his/her family who were non-benders or bent other elements.
      Since it's completely up to Tenzin, I don't think he will let any more people in who aren't airbenders since that's what makes up the lifestyle anyway. He'll probably be more rigid about it later on.

      Tenzin's rigidity did become more relaxed between books 3 and 4 so he might let a certain few? The scenario could simply be on a case by case situation. I'd be perfectly fine if a situation forced the issue.

        Loading editor
    • I doubt that Tenzin would abandon Rohan if he wasn't an Airbender, it doesn't seem right for his character. More likely accidently not give him the same care and attention as his other children. Although being the baby of the family might even things out for Rohan.

      But Ultimately I think it is a non-problem, as he is most likely an Airbender. Since bending is confirmed as being genetic, and since his dad is an active airbender while his mother MIGHT  have bending genes in her, the probability is that he'll be an airbender. And if he is born a non-bender, then he the Harmonic Convergence likely made him a bender.

      That's just the stuff not involving  Katara's statement when Pema was pregnant with Rohan. Now when Buma became an airbender, Kya sensed a change in his 'Aura', a likely manifestation of some form of diagnosis technique involved with waterbending healing. Katara is a master healer, so she could easily detect the chi signature of an airbender in her pregnant daughter-in-law; especially if one considers that fact she has most likely detected airbenders in Pema's womb 3 time before. She is telling the future or trying to reassure her relative by marriage, but instead give a diagnosis of what she had sensed.

        Loading editor
    • Gonna stop you at that last part: It's unclear to what extent "aura sensing" is even a thing. Ty Lee mentions it, but nobody else in her group really cares. The other time we hear about it is when Kya makes that comment about Bumi...but she only said it AFTER he told her he felt he changed. We know there are similar abilities, for instance it's possible to detect a person's chi flow through Healing & thus determine their general health. However, that's much different from determining someone's bending abilities.

        Loading editor
    • Um, I think I misrepresent that part of the statement. In order to properly heal there must be some part of the healing technique to sense the flow of chi to see what is wrong and check that everything is correct when dealing with internal injuries. This diagnostic part of Healing is what I'm refering to Katara and Kya using; 'aura' isn't an actually aura in the common sense, but a subconscience use of water vapour to detect chi in nearby relatives under partular situations.

        Loading editor
    • back to topic, i would believe that because Tenzin is from republic city he has seen the positive effects of racial diversity and would be willing to allow people who bent other elements to join the new air nation. I actually find it odd to have never seen any air acolytes who bend other elements, i always thought anybody couyld join, I highly doubt it is all non-benders

        Loading editor
    • I edited to point out that being able to detect irregularities in chi flow through healing isn't really the same as being able to tell what an unborn fetus's bending talents are simply by being near it.

      As for the Air Acolytes, I guess I figured most benders wouldn't want to join the Air Nation, because they tend to already have their own cultural identity.

        Loading editor
    • Even then there is no way that every Air Acolyte who had kids (they definately had to have reproduced because if recruiting members was like recruiting new airbenders they would need a sizable population to do so reproduction is a must) only had children who were non-benders as air acolytes joined from all over the world and not just the earth kingdom and would be more than capable of having children who are benders of other elements.

        Loading editor
    • I'd say it's plausible. Given that most people are nonbenders, & assuming that people with ties to a bending culture are significantly less likely to join the Acolytes, why not?

      Of course, it's just as plausible that there are benders there, we've just never seen them do their thing.

        Loading editor
    • Lol...must...Rohan's either an earthbender or a nonbender, period.

        Loading editor
    • Slaphappyjoy wrote:
      Lol...must...Rohan's either an earthbender or a nonbender, period.

      Probably more likely to be whatever the writer wants him to be. Within reason.

        Loading editor
    • I wouldn't rule anything out. Just because one's spirit can-not hold more than one element(with our Raava and maybe Vaatu) does not mean their genes can't hold the potential for more than one.

      Air is still definitely the most likely possibility,(especially after Katara's diagnosis, thank you Jaxus)  but say if Pema is part Fire Nation and part Earth Kingdom, Rohan does have genes from all four nations.
      

      Now, hoow interested he would be in the Air Nomad lifestyle if he is a water, fire, earth or non-bender is another question

        Loading editor
    • Slaphappyjoy wrote: Lol...must...Rohan's either an earthbender or a nonbender, period.

      All of Tenzin's other children are airbenders. There is therefore no possible way that Rohan is NOT an airbender.

        Loading editor
    • All of Tenzin's other children are airbenders. There is therefore no possible way that Rohan is NOT an airbender.

      I don't really like to play devil's advocate, but doesn't my argument, amongst others, sort of disprove this?

        Loading editor
    • Lol this thread. Rohan has green eyes. They won't deviate from this scheme. Earthbender/non-bender--it's the only way. Just accept it.

        Loading editor
    • Jinora has Reddish Brown eyes and she's an airbender. Eye colour is less important in what is likely a two generation multi-cultural family. Rohan was most likely an airbender or a non-bender before the Harmonic Convergence, and almost definitely an airbender after. We don't know the exact genetics of bending, but I feel that ending Bending childen of a bender and a non-bender would inherit the element of the bending parent and not one from the non-bending parent.

        Loading editor
    • Since so many are asking for this ridiculous retcon, it might as well be so. There's no good reason to deviate from the eye color scheme. This is simple, easy to pick up on, it makes for consistent storytelling, etc. Being contrarian to it just seems kind of, I don't know, stupid?

        Loading editor
    • Well, I agree with you about one thing. Being contrarian about eye colors seems really, really stupid.

        Loading editor
    • Lol uh oh...looks like the trigger's been pulled.

        Loading editor
    • Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

        Loading editor
    • I don't know if I'm posting something that has already been said, but eye color doesn't seem to have as much to do bending heritage in Korra's time as it did in Aang's. Ghazan and Ming-Hua, for example, don't have eye colors that were typically associated with earthbending and waterbending, respectively, in Aang's time.

        Loading editor
    • Its stated in the Lost Scrolls:Air that due to there high spirituality, all air nomads/air bender's children are air benders (Hense why Sozin genocided every single air nomad, except Aang, as each and every one of them was an airbender, and thus possibly the Avatar or able to give birth to the avatar)


      The probbable exeption to that rule is mixed race couples like Aang and Katara where the child could also be a waterbender/nonbender due to one partner not being a airbender/nomad/acolyte

        Loading editor
    • An anonymous contributor
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message