- This article is about Team Avatar in The Legend of Korra. For the original Team Avatar from Avatar: The Last Airbender, see Team Avatar.
After Avatar Korra arrived in Republic City and joined the Fire Ferrets, she became good friends with Mako and Bolin. Following Bolin's kidnapping by the Equalists, Korra and Mako infiltrated Amon's revelation rally and rescued him before Amon had the chance to remove his earthbending. Mako became romantically involved with Asami after she accidentally hit him with her moped.
When Amon attacked and significantly damaged the Pro-bending Arena, Mako and Bolin moved to Asami's house to live with her and her father. During a visit to the Sato estate, Korra overheard Hiroshi talking on the phone in a suspicious manner, making her very concerned. After warning Chief Beifong and Tenzin, the three of them, along with the Metalbending Police Force, successfully located a secret Equalist factory beneath the Sato mansion. After being ambushed by Hiroshi and the other Equalists in the factory, a brief battle ensued. Following the investigating team's defeat by Hiroshi's mecha tanks, Mako and Bolin took it upon themselves to rescue Korra, Tenzin, and Lin. With Asami's help, the group was able to escape Hiroshi's forces and flee from the estate on a police airship. Korra then told Mako that he, Bolin, and Asami were welcome to live on Air Temple Island with her. Respective to their opposition to the Equalists, a major reason behind their formation was to revolt against Tarrlok's methods of law enforcement, which was perceived as counterproductive and oppressive.
Patrolling Republic City Edit
Team Avatar immediately took its responsibility to Republic City very seriously, as their first task was to patrol the city's streets. After Naga's refusal to carry all four members, Asami suggested that they use her sleek black Satomobile as a means of transportation. During their patrol, they heard about convicted Equalists breaking out of police headquarters, and rushed to capture them. After their motorcycles and the truck were stopped and the chi blockers were captured, Tarrlok arrived on scene, furious that Korra was there and had done the job of his task force, giving a final warning to her not to get in his way.
The next day, the team headed to the Dragon Flats borough after hearing about an Equalist rally in the area. Upon their arrival, however, they realized that the rally was simply a protest conducted by a large group of non-bending citizens, resulting from Tarrlok's decision to sever their electrical power. Korra attempted to get Tarrlok and the metalbending officers to stand down, but the waterbender ignored her and called for the arrest of the entire crowd. Korra quickly stopped the metalbenders as they began to comply and, in response, Tarrlok arrested Asami, Mako, and Bolin, separating Team Avatar.
The two brothers and Asami, who were freed by Lin Beifong, eventually learned of the traitorous councilman's agenda and decided that their only hope of finding Korra was to track down and neutralize Tarrlok. They later reunited with Korra in the aftermath of her escape from Tarrlok's imprisonment.
Defending Republic City Edit
During the Battle for Republic City, Team Avatar took it upon themselves to assist in the fight against the Equalists. The group headed toward the police headquarters just as Tenzin, Saikhan, and some metalbending officers were being abducted by Equalists in mecha tanks. Once the group arrived, they launched their empty Satomobile at one of the tanks, successfully destroying it. The group then freed Tenzin, and together they continued fighting, eventually being able to destroy all of the mecha tanks. Immediately after, however, the group realized that a number of Equalist airships were heading toward Air Temple Island, and so they quickly got on Oogi and flew back to Tenzin's home.
Upon their arrival, Tenzin discovered that Lin Beifong, along with Tenzin's children, had successfully defeated the invaders. Meanwhile, Pema was giving birth to her second son, Rohan. Team Avatar filtered into one of the temple's rooms to see the baby, but was interrupted by the realization that more airships were heading toward the island. Tenzin and his family escaped on Oogi, while Team Avatar used Naga to swim underwater back toward the city to hide among Republic City's hobo population until the United Forces arrived. Realizing that the city had fallen, Korra and her team moved to the city's underground network of tunnels, where Gommu was staying along with the bender and non-bender citizens. They then decided that Korra and Mako go undercover as Equalists to gather new information. They were both present during Hiroshi Sato's speech near the City Hall, and then informed Bolin and Asami about it. When the United Forces came, the team watched from the secret tunnel near the sea. However, the Equalists attacked the fleet with a biplane raid; Korra saved General Iroh from the sinking fleet. The team then decided to split up: Mako and Korra planned to ambush Amon at Air Temple Island while Asami, Bolin, and General Iroh dealt with Hiroshi Sato's secret airbase.
Ending the Revolution Edit
On Air Temple Island, Korra and Mako found Tarrlok in a makeshift jail cell up in the attic, where he informed them about Amon's true identity: Noatak, his older brother. Tarrlok told them about his childhood with Noatak, Yakone, and bloodbending training. They decided to go to the Pro-bending Arena to expose Amon as a bender during his victory rally. After failing to convince the crowd, Mako and Korra discovered that Tenzin and his family had been captured by Amon. Korra and Mako managed to free them and prevent Amon from taking away their airbending abilities. Meanwhile, Bolin and Asami began destroying the Equalists' airfield, defeating Hiroshi in the process, while Iroh took care of the biplanes that managed to take off. Amon found Korra and Mako, and removed Korra's bending. However, the Lieutenant had witnessed him bloodbending the Avatar. He attacked his former leader, but was easily incapacitated. Mako managed to strike Amon, but was later taken out as well. He almost lost his bending, but was saved by the timely awakening of Korra's airbending. Korra launched Amon out the window into Yue Bay, where he waterbent to save himself from drowning, inadvertently exposing himself as a bender and a fraud in front of all of his supporters, thus ending the revolution.
Six months after the revolution's end, Korra embarks on a quest to master the spiritual aspects of being the Avatar. Asami assumed leadership of Future Industries, which now struggles to regain the public's trust due to its involvement in the revolution. Mako now works as a policeman. Bolin now leads two new teammates as captain of the Fire Ferrets, now that pro-bending is reinstated as a sport.
Animal members Edit
Temporary members Edit
- Being a member means having been on the team for at least two consecutive episodes.
† indicates deceased
United Republic of Nations Edit
Air Nomads Edit
Water Tribe Edit
Former allies Edit
† indicates deceased
United Republic of Nations Edit
Water Tribe Edit
- Amon †
Former enemies Edit
- The name of the team is the same as the original Team Avatar, which Sokka named. However, everyone in the group seemed to like the name, as opposed to the original team's reaction to Sokka's suggestion.
- The fan-base nickname for the new Team Avatar is the "Krew" or the "Komrades" - a portmanteau of "crew" or "comrades" respectively, and the first letter of Korra's name. These names have not been used in canon, however.
- The team's methods of patrolling Republic City and dealing with criminals draw parallels from superhero groups most common in comic books, like the Avengers and the Justice League.
- All the members have been arrested at one point: Korra, when she first arrived in Republic City for destruction of public and private property; Asami was arrested as a non-bender being out past curfew; and Mako and Bolin were arrested when they objected to Tarrlok's order to arrest Asami Sato.
- Korra's Team Avatar bears similarities to Aang's Team Avatar:
- Both teams contain at least one non-bender (Sokka/Suki and Asami).
- Both have one waterbender, earthbender and firebender (Katara/Toph/Zuko and Korra/Bolin/Mako).
- Both have at least one member who comes from a wealthy family (Toph/Zuko and Asami).
- Both have a member defying their parent(s) (Zuko/Toph and Asami).
- Both include sibling pairs (Sokka/Katara and Mako/Bolin).
- Both have only one member with a last name (Toph and Asami).
- Both have a large animal that can be ridden and a small animal for comic relief (Appa/Momo and Naga/Pabu).
- Both have a member who is attached to a piece of neckwear that belonged to one of their deceased parents (Katara's mother's necklace and Mako's father's scarf).
- Both have an equal boy-girl ratio.
- Both have a member who is the love interest of the Avatar (Katara and Mako).
- Both have members whose mothers were killed by a firebender, as Katara and Sokka lost their mother to Yon Rha, Asami lost hers to an Agni Kai Triad member, and Mako and Bolin lost both of their parents to a firebending mugger.
- Korra is the only human member of Team Avatar to still have her family, as Asami lost her mother, and Mako and Bolin lost their parents, all to firebenders. Asami later also became estranged from her father due to his Equalist ties.