| It does not deserve to exist in this world, in my world.
This page is a candidate for speedy deletion. The given reason is: Merging with Body markings in the World of Avatar
Tattoos are somewhat common in the World of Avatar, the most notable of them being those of the master airbenders. This type of body modification is usually for ritual or identification purposes, rather than being strictly decorative.
People with tattoos Edit
Airbending masters Edit
Upon reaching master status, airbenders are tattooed with five light blue arrows: one extending from the base of the spine to the forehead, one for each arm pointing to the hands, and similarly for the legs and feet. The design is an emulation of the flying bison's natural markings, as they were the first airbenders. Unlike most master airbenders who gain their status later in life, Avatar Aang received his tattoos when he was only twelve after his invention of the air scooter, making him the youngest known airbending master.
As seen with Aang, if the Avatar's body has received a severe injury on a tattooed area, leaving a scar deeper than the tattoo, then that particular spot will not glow in the state.
It is unclear whether or not any other tattoos an Avatar bears would glow while they are in the Avatar State, given that no Avatar has been known to possess any other sort of tattoo. However, it seems likely that Air Nomad tattoos glow in the state because they run along the body's chi paths.
Yuyan Archers Edit
The Yuyan Archers bear dark red tattoos that cover their eyes and narrow over the bridge of their nose. The placement of their tattoos symbolizes the importance of sight in their deadly skill. Similar to those of master airbenders, the tattoos of the Yuyan Archers identify them as part of an elite group as they are very obvious markers.
- As a reference to the prevalence of tattoos among prison populations, when Aang was imprisoned in Chin Village, one prisoner had a large green serpent tattoo and stated that because Aang also had tattoos, he would "fit in real well". Other prisoners also had tattoos on their bodies.
- One of the prisoners brought to the Boiling Rock with Hakoda had an elaborate black tattoo.
- The Boulder had a tattoo of a badgermole on his back, a self-proclamation of his earthbending prowess.
- The third eye tattooed on Combustion Man's forehead was a channel for his chi, as it was directly over his Light Chakra, allowing his energy to focus there and produce powerful explosions.
- June, the bounty hunter, had a coiled serpent tattooed on both shoulders.
- Some of the pirates had tattoos.
- The Yu Dao chapter of the Official Avatar Aang Fan Club had tattoos just like master airbenders possess.
- Smellerbee, a Freedom Fighter, had two red tattoos on each side of her face.