|Skip to table of contents|
This is the talk page for the article "Dai Li".
Not that it's really that important to me, but shouldn't the template be Fire Nation organization, since even though it was founded as Earth Kingdom, it is now Fire Nation since the last time we've seen them. Or, since they were banished, Neutral would be good. --SuperFlash101 22:21, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
They were an Earth Kingdom organization for the majority of their history. Even while they served the Fire Nation, they wore an Earth Kingdom insignia on their cloths. Plus, they're all Earthbenders. I think those are all good enough reasons to keep their infobox an Earth Kingdom one. Puragus Talk 22:28, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
At what point did we find out that Kyoshi founded the Dai Li? Maybe I missed it, but I don't seem to remember it from the series. Benz145ux 04:37, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- It wasn't in the show, it was in the Escape from the Spirit World comic that was released and was named as "canon". Joey - Talk Contribs 04:42, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks I see it now. I love the fact that there is so much back-story! Benz145ux 05:10, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
The Dai Li are listed as a character, in fact they are a faction and not a character- just house keeping, also listed is Dai Li group leader, which needs more research - must be a name somewhere, but I think he only had a little dialog in a scene with Azula. Trivia point is a fact that there as a real person called Dia Li (戴笠) head of secret service in China who assisted the US.. Is that worth following up? It may have been relevant regarding the script writers knowledge. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Piandao (talk • contribs). This note was added on 04:11, January 23, 2012 (UTC).
- About the character category - good point and well noticed, I'll remove it now. The 888th Avatar (Talk) 11:44, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
Excuse me, I think the quote is wrong because the quote says who they are and you already have a whole article for that. IF it were me i would have chosen when Azula said: Their earthbender but they have a killer instinct that's so firebender. But it's all up to you =D talk Order Of The White Lotus
Should the Dai Li’s savagery be noted. They don’t bend earth in normal ways, its deadly and fast. Even Azula notes how their killer instinct is like that of a firebender.--Nanohano 00:33, January 13, 2010 (UTC)
- Now that you mentioned it, they do seem to have a unique fighting style. When they bend the earth, they mostly project pillars straight from the ground to attack, instead of the standard lift rock and launch. If I'm not mistaken, they only do the lift and launch technique once (in The Day of Black Sun Part 2: The Eclipse) and the rest of their attacks come from their Rock Gloves/Shoes and the pillars. Their style does seem more brutal. Ddd44 08:19, February 15, 2010 (UTC)
Dai Li is no longer active"
I still maintain that the Dai Li is no longer active.  According to the edit that reverted "active means they still exist, which they do". I disagree with this for several reasons.
- The definition of "active", is not existence. (Other then the last definition and that is really stretching it)
- Webster: involved in the activities of a group or organization : participating in an action or activity.
- Oxford English Dictionary: engaging or ready to engage in physically energetic pursuits
- Macmillan Dictionary: taking positive action in order to make something happen, instead of just hoping that it will happen; operating or working in a particular area or at a particular time 
- I believe that active means, doing your primary activity. The Dai Li's purpose was to protect the Earth Kingdom Government. The Earth Kingdom government is no longer in existence, therefore, the Dai Li is no longer active.
- We do not have evidence that the Dai Li survived. As seen in episode "The Ultimatum", Earth kingdom soldiers were no longer doing their jobs, but instead were joining the crowd looting the place. There is no evidence to believe that Dai Li members was not participating in this.
- Given that the status of the EK government remains unknown, I don't think we can assume that the Dai Li are still active, that is, executing their duties as bodyguards/secret police etc. So, I would support noting them as unknown in lieu of official confirmation either way. HAMMEROFTHOR 17:48, August 24, 2014 (UTC)