Smoke and Shadow is a trilogy of comic books set in the Avatar universe, following on from the events of The Rift. Like its predecessors, Smoke and Shadow is written by award-winning comic author Gene Yang, illustrated by Gurihiru, and published by Dark Horse Comics. The first book was released on October 6, 2015, the second followed on December 29, and the third and last was released on April 12, 2016. The release dates of the first and second comics were changed, as the first book was originally destined to be released on September 23, 2015, and the second on December 16. The hardcover edition will be released on October 4, 2016.
The Smoke and Shadow trilogy includes:
In the Fire Nation, Iroh still awaits the return of Fire Lord Zuko, who is bringing home Ursa and her family for the first time since her banishment. However, the capital city faces a new uproar caused by the New Ozai Society, who aim to dethrone Zuko in favor of his father, forcing Zuko to protect his family against the legacy of Ozai. Beside the political turmoil, the Fire Lord also needs to face his ex-girlfriend, Mai.
- The title of the comic series is a direct reference to the Kemurikage, whose name is formed by the contraction of the Japanese words "kemuri" ( ), meaning "smoke", and "kage" ( ), meaning "shadow".
- This is the first graphic novel series of the franchise to have neither a two-worded title nor contain the word "the".
- ↑ Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 1 release date. Amazon. Retrieved on August 16, 2015.
- ↑ Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 2 release date. Amazon. Retrieved on August 16, 2015.
- ↑ Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 3 release date. Amazon. Retrieved on August 16, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sunu, Steve (December 1, 2014). Exclusive: Yang Guides Avatar: The Last Airbender through Smoke and Shadow. Comic Book Resources. Retrieved on December 1, 2014.
- ↑ Avatar: The Last Airbender–Smoke and Shadow Library Edition. Penguin Random House. Retrieved on March 10, 2016.