The Royal Procession, also known as the Imperial Firebenders, was a unit of elite firebenders who served as personal and ceremonial guards for the Fire Nation Royal Family, and also worked in close association with the Fire Lord's military maneuvers.
Five years later, while Azula was attempting to capture her brother and uncle, she was accompanied by at least thirty of these soldiers on her ship. Iroh and Zuko were able to defeat these soldiers easily after discovering that the former two were about to be taken prisoner. When advised by Lo and Li, Azula decided to leave the Royal Procession in favor of a smaller, elite team, and set off to enlist Mai and Ty Lee.
During the Day of Black Sun, they were seen in Fire Lord Ozai's secret bunker, serving as protection during the eclipse in the event that an enemy managed to breach the underground facility. As they were deprived of their bending, they were carrying polearms.
Before her coronation as Fire Lord, Azula slipped into a case of severe paranoia and ended up banishing nearly all her staff, including the Imperial Firebenders present at the palace, as mentioned by Lo and Li. Imperial Firebenders were seen as part of the crew of the airship fleet, burning a large section of Wulong Forest and defending the ships from intruders.
The members of the Royal Procession wore helmets that had a three-point theme. There were three red spikes on the top of the helmet, three eye holes, and shard-shaped mouth holes. Captains were distinguished by the fact that their helmets had the same general design, but a lack of face masks. When Ozai declared himself the Phoenix King, the uniforms of the members of the Royal Procession were a black inverted version of the original, i.e. whatever was black was red and vice-versa.
- The bell shaped helmets of the Royal Procession with its extremely small eye holes and mouth holes bear some resemblance to the Italo-Corinthian helmet, a version of the famous Corinthian helmet.
- ↑ Ehasz, Elizabeth Welch (writer) & MacMullan, Lauren (director). (May 12, 2006). "Zuko Alone". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 2. Episode 7. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Ehasz, Aaron, Ehasz, Elizabeth Welch, Hedrick, Tim, O'Bryan, John (writers) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (March 17, 2006). "The Avatar State". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 2. Episode 1. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & Dos Santos, Joaquim (director). (November 30, 2007). "The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 11. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Spaulding, Ethan (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 18. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 20. Nickelodeon.