- This article is about the town located in the Earth Kingdom. For other similar uses, see Oasis (disambiguation).
Misty Palms Oasis
|Location on map|
Before the Hundred Year War, the Misty Palms Oasis was an icy, refreshing spring. However, as time passed, the spring gradually melted away and the oasis was converted into a rest stop.
Before making plans to find information about the Fire Nation, Team Avatar decided to take "mini-vacations". For hers, Katara chose to visit the Misty Palms Oasis, as it sounded refreshing. Aang stated that he had been to its "pristine natural ice spring" once before, commenting that it was "one of nature's wonders". However, much to their disappointment, the oasis had deteriorated into a state far less stimulating than it once was, with the ice spring having almost entirely melted away. Here, the group encountered Professor Zei before heading off into the desert in search of Wan Shi Tong's Library.
Several days later, Zuko and Iroh met up with Fung inside the cantina and had a run-in with bounty hunter Xin Fu and earthbending instructor Master Yu. They were able to avoid capture by initiating a bar fight.
After Avatar Korra opened the spirit portals after Harmonic Convergence in 171 AG, spirits had taken refuge in the village, where they lurked around and interacted with the townspeople. A few weeks after Harmonic Convergence, Aiwei, after having escaped Zaofu, rented a room at the Misty Palms Inn. After tracking the truth seer to the oasis, Team Avatar entered the village, though soon left again after noticing that Earth Queen Hou-Ting had their wanted posters put up. In order to continue their search for Aiwei, Mako and Bolin donned disguises and returned. However, it was not long before they were discovered by Macao and Lily, two fierce-looking individuals who had recognized Bolin. Under the impression that they were bounty hunters, the two brothers ran for cover. As they intended to leave, Bolin spotted Aiwei returning to his inn room. After getting Asami and Korra, the foursome tried to get a room across from Aiwei's, though were initially denied, as the innkeeper had bad prior experiences with youths. At that moment, Lily and Macao found them again. Team Avatar instantly readied for battle, though the duo turned out to be fans of The Adventures of Nuktuk: Hero of the South and were after an autograph of Bolin. Due to his reputation as a mover star, the innkeeper changed her mind and agreed to rent the team a room. That night, a fight broke out between Mako and Bolin and Ghazan and Ming-Hua, destroying part of the inn's inner court.
The next day, Lin Beifong, Tonraq, and Zuko awaited the return of Korra to the town at the local cantina, after the Chief of Police had tracked down Team Avatar's jeep to the outskirts of the oasis. Upon Korra and Asami's return, Lin informed the duo that Mako and Bolin had been captured by the Red Lotus, while Tonraq told them of the Earth Queen's death and the fall of Ba Sing Se.
A day later, Bolin and Mako, having fled Ba Sing Se with their family, followed the path of Korra and Asami's makeshift sand-sailer to the Misty Palms Oasis. There, Team Avatar reunited, and Mako and Bolin made their friends, Tonraq, Lin, and Zuko aware of Zaheer's threat against the new Air Nation.
The cantina's trademark is its selection of frozen beverages, served by its skilled bartender who dices fruit with dual katanas. The ice is carved from a subterranean iceberg just outside the pub at the center of the oasis, which for the most part is still preserved beneath the hot desert sand. According to Avatar Aang, the iceberg was once one of the world's natural wonders, but after one hundred years, the iceberg became part of the surrounding cantina and was cut down due to the high demand for the frozen drinks.
Seventy years later, the settlement had expanded tremendously around the oasis. The old cantina grew into a city, with the similar ice carved sticks at the center of the oasis. Numerous inns and taverns were built inside the city for people exploring the desert.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 O'Bryan, John (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (July 14, 2006). "The Library". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 2. Episode 10. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 DiMartino, Michael Dante (writer) & Graham, Ian (director). (August 1, 2014). "The Stakeout". The Legend of Korra. Season 2. Episode 9. Nick.com.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com (link). No longer updated.
- ↑ Hedrick, Tim (writer) & MacMullan, Lauren (director). (July 14, 2006). "The Desert". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 2. Episode 11. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ Hedrick, Tim (writer) & Zwyer, Melchior (director). (August 8, 2014). "Long Live the Queen". The Legend of Korra. Season 2. Episode 10. Nick.com.
- ↑ Hamilton, Joshua (writer) & Heck, Colin (director). (August 15, 2014). "The Ultimatum". The Legend of Korra. Season 2. Episode 11. Nick.com.