- This article is a geographical overview of the Avatar World. For the map, see Map of the World of Avatar.
|Geography of the World of Avatar|
Southern Air Temple
- Main article: Southern Air Temple
The Southern Air Temple - sometimes called the Jongmu Temple, as seen in the Lost Scrolls books - is one of the four temples, located near the South Pole, and houses male airbenders exclusively. It is notable as the childhood home of Avatar Aang.
Northern Air Temple
- Main article: Northern Air Temple
The Northern Air Temple is another temple hosting only male airbenders. It is located in the upper reaches of the northern Earth Kingdom, built upon a snowy mountain. It was also a victim of the Air Nomad Genocide, along with the Eastern, Western, and Southern Air Temples. By 100 ASC, it is notable for the population of Earth Kingdom refugees, led by the mechanist, that have settled and colonized it.
Eastern Air Temple
- Main article: Eastern Air Temple
The Eastern Air Temple was one of the two temples exclusively housing female airbenders, the other being the Western Air Temple. Like the other temples, its population was completely wiped out during the Air Nomad Genocide. Guru Pathik lived here for an extended period of time, where he trained Aang in controlling the Avatar State.
Western Air Temple
- Main article: Western Air Temple
The Western Air Temple was the counterpart to the Eastern Air Temple, housing exclusively female airbenders. It is located in the mountains north of the Fire Nation, resembling an upside-down pagoda. It was also victim to the Air Nomad Genocide, which destroyed most of the population. The temple is notable in that, unlike the other three temples, it is situated underneath the edge of a cliff, as opposed to a mountaintop. The spires seem as though they were built upside-down, and because of that, the temple is hidden to the passerby.
Northern Water Tribe
- Main article: Northern Water Tribe
The Northern Water Tribe is a division of the Water Tribe located within the North Pole. Its largest city is referred to by the same name. Built inside high walls of ice, and in inhospitable tundra terrain, the city prospers in its isolation. No attack by the Fire Nation on the city during the Hundred Year War ever succeeded, including the massive Siege of the North. After the fall of Ba Sing Se, the Northern Water Tribe was the only major city to not fall under Fire Nation control.
Southern Water Tribe
- Main article: Southern Water Tribe
The Southern Water Tribe is the southern division of the Water Tribe. Its people are scattered in tiny villages and settlements located across the South Pole. Unlike its northern sister tribe, the people of the Southern Water Tribe were teetering on the edge of extinction due to Fire Nation raids.
Foggy Swamp Tribe
- Main article: Foggy Swamp Tribe
Also known simply as the Swamp, this vast, mysterious wetland covers a very large area of the southwest Earth Kingdom and is home to the Foggy Swamp Tribe, who are descended from emigrants from the Southern Water Tribe. The swamp has an extensive array of flora and fauna. The swamp is a series of roots connected by one central tree.
Ba Sing Se
- Main article: Ba Sing Se
Ba Sing Se is the titanic capital of the Earth Kingdom, encompassing nearly the entire northeast corner of the kingdom. It was the last great Earth Kingdom stronghold after the fall of Omashu. The city is by far the largest city in any of the four nations. Ba Sing Se means "impenetrable city", the city is so named for its two world-famous walls, the gates of which have no hinges or other hardware and are opened by use of earthbending.
- Main article: Serpent's Pass
The Serpent's Pass is a narrow strip of land between two large lakes, that links the southern and northern halves of the Earth Kingdom. It is one of the very few direct paths to the capital, Ba Sing Se. It is named after the serpent which guards the point where the East and West Lakes meet. At this point the Serpent's Pass for a short distance disappears under the lakes. All of this makes the pass feared in the Earth Kingdom. Most refugees refuse to use the pass and instead cross the lake by boat.
- Main article: Harbor town
The harbor town is a small coastal village located in the western Earth Kingdom. This harbor is located on the western coast of the Earth Kingdom and is free from Fire Nation control.
- Main article: Makapu Village
Makapu Village is a small farming town located in the northwestern Earth Kingdom on the slopes of the active volcano, Mt. Makapu. Volcanic eruptions have caused the soil around the volcano to become rich in minerals, making it perfect for farming. It is notable for being the place of residence of the fortuneteller Aunt Wu. The village is also home to the rare panda lily flower, which grows on the crater of the volcano. It is a symbol of undying love and unity.
- Main article: Taku
Taku is an abandoned city in the western Earth Kingdom. It was an important center of commerce. The city was destroyed by the Fire Nation in its first wave of attacks.
- Main article: Chin Village
Chin Village is a small town located on the cliffs of the Earth Kingdom's southwestern coast. It is named for Chin the Great, a warlord and conqueror who nearly conquered the Earth Kingdom. It plays host to the unique "Avatar Day" festival, a celebration that used to be a celebration in hate of the Avatar but is now held in honor of the Avatar.
- Main article: Gaoling
Gaoling is a large town located within a mountain range in the southern Earth Kingdom. It is home to both the wealthy Beifong family and the Earth Rumble tournaments. An old, well-established city, Gaoling has a spectrum of people residing in it, ranging from the very rich to the very poor. The town remained untouched by the Hundred Year War, due to it not being in a particularly strategic location. This is evidenced by the attitude of many of its residents.
- Main article: Kyoshi Island
Kyoshi Island is a small island off the southern coast of the Earth Kingdom, dotted with many small villages. It is famous as the birthplace of Avatar Kyoshi, and as the home of the elite Kyoshi Warriors. The island was created when Chin the Conqueror threatened to invade and conquer the former peninsula. Avatar Kyoshi separated Kyoshi Peninsula from the Earth Kingdom mainland to keep her people safe from future threats.
- Main article: Omashu
Omashu is the second largest city in the Earth Kingdom and the capital of one of its provinces. Only Ba Sing Se, the titanic capital of the Earth Kingdom, is larger. It was one of the last great strongholds of the Earth Kingdom before its fall in the months before the end of the Hundred Year War and a supplier of men and weaponry. Previously ruled by King Bumi, Omashu was taken over by the Fire Nation and renamed New Ozai. During the Day of Black Sun, King Bumi single-handedly liberated Omashu and all the powerless firebenders abandoned the city.
- Main article: Plains village
The plains village is located in the arid grasslands of the southern Earth Kingdom, to the west of the Si Wong Desert. It is not the most ideal place to live in and is home to several suspicious characters, including Gow, who, along with his gang of thugs, pass off as Earth Kingdom soldiers in order to force the citizens to yield to their will. They often forcefully enlist unwilling citizens into the Earth Kingdom Army and steal from those they consider weak. The town is often forced to live in fear of this band. The citizens of the village seem to harbor a severe hatred for the Fire Nation, and several of its citizens left to fight in the Hundred Year War.
Cave of Two Lovers
- Main article: Cave of Two Lovers
Located near the city of Omashu in the Earth Kingdom, the Cave of Two Lovers is a secret tunnel that passes through a section of the Kolau Mountain Range. The tunnel is actually a giant underground labyrinth full of dangerous animals including wolfbats and badgermoles.
- Main article: Farming village
- Main article: Gaipan
Gaipan is a small village located in the central Earth Kingdom. After being overtaken by the Fire Nation, it was evacuated shortly before being destroyed by a catastrophic flood.
- Main article: Mining village
The mining village is a medium-sized village located in the Earth Kingdom. It is located on the Northwestern coast of the Earth Kingdom, and its inhabitants make a living by mining coal in several nearby mines.
- Main article: River village
The river village is located in the Western Earth Kingdom, and situated between the forks of a large river. It serves as a regional trading hub and ideal location for merchants to sell their wares.
Seedy merchants pier
- Main article: Seedy merchants pier
The seedy merchants pier is a small harbor and town in the Earth Kingdom. It is a tiny trading port with a seedy element. Here one can buy almost anything - from jewelry to pottery to musical instruments and trivial items. The seedy merchant's pier welcomes all nations so long as they have an inclination for a bargain.
- Main article: Senlin Village
- Main article: Great Divide
The Great Divide is the largest canyon in the world. It is located in the rocky regions of the central Earth Kingdom.
Full Moon Bay
- Main article: Full Moon Bay
Full Moon Bay is a secluded cove in the Eastern Lake, located just south of Ba Sing Se. It is the location of a hidden ferry station that refugees from all over the southern portion of the Earth Kingdom come to on their way to Ba Sing Se.
Si Wong Desert
- Main article: Si Wong Desert
The Si Wong Desert is the largest desert in the world. It is known as the driest and hottest place in the world, and is almost impossible to successfully navigate. It is sparsely inhabited by Sandbender Tribes.
Fire Nation proper
- Main article: Boiling Rock
The Boiling Rock is a massive Fire Nation prison. Its name is derived from the fact that the prison is on an island in the middle of a boiling lake on a volcanic island. The Boiling Rock is where the most dangerous prisoners in the Fire Nation are held, domestic and foreign alike.
- Main article: Ember Island
Ember Island is a small resort located in the outer islands of the Fire Nation. It is home to many luxurious resorts and vacation homes for the wealthy and powerful. The beaches are among the most popular in the country, and host many popular kuai ball games.
Fire Nation Capital
- Main article: Fire Nation Capital
The Fire Nation Capital is the seat of the government for the Fire Nation. It is home to the Fire Lord, the royal family, and nobles of the Fire Nation. The capital is located on the Capital Island, a larger island in the western region of the Fire Nation.
Fire Fountain City
- Main article: Fire Fountain City
Fire Fountain City is a large, industrial city located in the Fire Nation. It is named for the large, fire-breathing statue of Fire Lord Ozai in its center. It is located on one of the many islands in the eastern half of the Fire Nation.
- Main article: Jang Hui
Jang Hui is a small, poor village located in the outer islands of the Fire Nation. Located on the Jang Hui River, this unique Fire Nation village is made up of floating houseboats connected together.
- Main article: Shu Jing
Shu Jing is a town located in the Fire Nation. Situated on a cliff above a river and waterfalls, and surrounded by beautiful mountains, this is one of the many small, peaceful villages that are tucked away throughout the Fire Nation islands.
Sun Warriors' ancient city
- Main article: Sun Warriors' ancient city
This location is a sprawling, ancient city that was thought to be an uninhabited ruin. Aang and Zuko discover that the Sun Warrior civilization still exists here. Much of this stone metropolis is now covered in vines and sits unused. This is because the tribe is much smaller than it used to be.
- Main article: Republic City
Republic City is a large metropolis located in the lower areas of a mountainous region, with large bodies of water in the immediate vicinity. It was founded by Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang after the end of the Hundred Year War.
Mo Ce Sea
- Main article: Mo Ce Sea
The Mo Ce Sea is a small open body of water between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation. It extends from the Hu Xin provinces of the Earth Kingdom to the Crescent Island, and from the Fire Nation islands to the western coast of the Earth Kingdom.
- Main article: Whaletail Island
Whaletail Island is a large island situated off of the southwestern coast of the Earth Kingdom and among the Southern Air Nomad archipelago. The island gets its name from its distinctive shape, which on maps bears an uncanny resemblance to a whale's tail.
The Southern Water Tribe inhabits the South Pole, the Northern Water Tribe inhabits the North Pole and there is also a small population of waterbenders located in the swamps of the Earth Kingdom. In the tribes of the poles there are short mountain ridges on the inside and on the coast of the islands.
Because of its immense size, the geography of the Earth Kingdom varies tremendously by region. Much of its center is taken up by arid grasslands, and the Si Wong Desert, which dominates the southeast. Its northwest coast is covered with dense pine forests - further south, these are replaced by semitropical deciduous forests. The area near Omashu is fairly mountainous, with small pine thickets and large steppes.
The continent is located on the planet's equator in the western hemisphere, and is composed of several islands, and therefore is an archipelago of tropical volcanic islands, many still active. The geography of the Fire Nation is characterized by several bays and fjords. The topography of the Fire Nation is modeled after photographs taken by the one of the creators on his trip to Iceland, a volcanic island.
In the World of Avatar there are an important number of landforms in different parts of the four nations.
There are many volcanoes in the World of Avatar, some known volcanoes are in:
- Boiling Rock - This Fire Nation prison is on an island in the middle of a boiling lake on a volcanic island.
- Crescent Island - Volcanic island. Located in the Fire Nation.
- Fire Nation Capital - Some parts of the city are in a crater of a dormant volcano.
- Makapu Village - Erupted when Team Avatar was there. Located in the Earth Kingdom.
- Roku's island - Its eruption caused Avatar Roku's death. Located in the Fire Nation.
Rivers, lakes and lagoons
Some known rivers and lagoons are or are in:
- East and West Lakes - Two large bodies of water located in the central Earth Kingdom to the southwest of Ba Sing Se.
- Jang Hui River - Located in outer Fire Nation.
- Lake Laogai - It is a small body of water located within the Outer Wall of Ba Sing Se.
- Nan Shan River - Large river in the southern Earth Kingdom.
- River in an Earth Kingdom forest - River used for browsing of the Fire Nation Navy.
- River village - Located in western Earth Kingdom.
- Shu Jing - Located in outer Fire Nation. It has waterfalls.
- Waterfall lagoon - System of springs and waterfalls in the western Earth Kingdom
- Waterfall pond - Located on the northern outskirts of the Si Wong Desert. It is a water pond that has a large cliff on one side where a waterfall dumps into the pond.
Some known forests are:
- Earth Kingdom forest - Located in northwestern Earth Kingdom. Forest where Jeong Jeong lives.
- Jet's forest - Located in western Earth Kingdom. It is near the valley where the village of Gaipan lies. The Treetop hideout is in this forest.
- Senlin Village Forest - Burned down by the Fire Nation as a result of a battle.
- Wulong Forest - It is a forest that lies on the coast of the western regions of the Earth Kingdom. It is notable for the hundreds of rock columns that tower over the landscape.
Most islands in the World of Avatar are small. Known islands are:
- Aang Memorial Island - An island within Yue Bay near Republic City containing a statue of Avatar Aang.
- Air Temple Island - An island located near Republic City in Yue Bay. The island boasts a dining hall, an airbending training area, a meditation pavilion, and quarters for White Lotus sentries.
- Crescent Island - It is an uninhabited island in the outer Fire Nation that once housed a temple for the Fire Sages and a shrine to Avatar Roku.
- Duck Island - It is an island mentioned in the "Avatar Extras" of "The King of Omashu".
- Ember Island - It is a small resort located in the outer islands of the Fire Nation. It is home to many luxurious resorts and vacation homes for the wealthy and powerful.
- Hing Wa Island - It is an island located in outer Fire Nation.
- Kirachu Island - It is an island located in outer Fire Nation.
- Kyoshi Island - It is a small island off the southern coast of the Earth Kingdom, dotted with many small villages. It is famous as the birthplace of Avatar Kyoshi. The island is the home of the elite Kyoshi Warriors.
- Red Sand Island - An island located somewhere within the United Republic territory.
- Roku's island - It is a small Fire Nation island which bore and was home to the previous Avatar Roku.
- Whaletail Island - It is a large island situated off of the southwestern coast of the Earth Kingdom and among the Southern Air Nomad archipelago.
- Chameleon Bay - It is a small body of water located in the northeastern Earth Kingdom. It is on the mouth of a river that leads to the outskirts of Ba Sing Se.
- Full Moon Bay - It is a secluded cove in the Eastern Lake, located just south of Ba Sing Se.
- Yue Bay - It is a broad inlet located in the northwestern Earth Kingdom. It connects Republic City to the Mo Ce Sea.
- Air Nomad Mountain Ranges - The Air Nomads were situated on remote mountains in large temples, compared to other nations. There were four temples in all, two that were male, and two that were female.
- Kolau Mountain Range - Range in southwestern Earth Kingdom, where Omashu is located.
- Patola Mountain Range - High ridge where the Southern Air Temple is located.
- Southern Earth Kingdom Mountain Range - Gaoling is located within this mountain range.
- Western Earth Kingdom Mountain Range - In this coastal mountain range lies the hidden General Fong's fortress.
- Archipelagos - The Southern Air Nomad archipelago and Fire Nation archipelago are sets of several islands. The whole Fire Nation is an archipelago of volcanic islands.
- Black Cliffs - Located on an uninhabited island in the Fire Nation.
- Geysers - Located in a Western Earth Kingdom forest.
- Glaciers - Located at the poles: Northern and Southern Water Tribes.
- Great Divide - It is the largest canyon in the world. It is located in the rocky regions of the central Earth Kingdom.
- Hiroku Canyon - A canyon located somewhere in the Earth Kingdom. It was mentioned in the comic, "Divided We Fall".
- Si Wong Desert - This desert is the largest in the world. It is known as the driest and hottest place in the world. Located in the Earth Kingdom.
Each nation of the four nations is influenced by their own distinct, dominant season, and each one is characterized by different climates.
The Air Nomad's dominant season is autumn. Airbenders are strongest in this season. More Air Nomad children were born during autumn than any other season, all retaining bending abilities. The climate of all the air temples is similar, with a Mediterranean temperate climate. Rains have not been seen in any temple, but it was snowing in the vicinity of the Northern Air Temple.
The Water Tribe's dominant season is winter. To an effect, more waterbenders are born during winter than any other season and their powers are at their strongest during the season due to the longer nights. In actuality, both polar Tribes experience winter-like weather consistently, with snow falling year-round. The climate of the Northern and Southern Water Tribe is characterized for very low temperatures, typically under 0 °C (32 °F). They have a polar climate, scarce rainfall and snow and the relative humidity in the air is low.
The Earth Kingdom's dominant season is spring, the time when several living things on Earth are reborn. To that effect, more earthbenders are born during the spring that any other season and their powers are at their strongest during the springtime. The average temperature of the Earth Kingdom varies greatly due to its vast size. Some areas are warm and wet, such as Foggy Swamp. Many areas are very arid, such as the Si Wong Desert, the hottest and driest place in the world, and the Great Divide. Omashu and Ba Sing Se are more temperate, and polar conditions exist in some parts, such as Kyoshi Island and the Northern Mountains.
The Fire Nation's dominant season is summer. The power of firebenders is slightly enhanced due to the increase in temperature. Most firebending children are born during the summer. The climate in the Fire Nation is varied, although the most parts of the nation has a tropical and an arid subtropical climate. The Fire Nation has high and average temperatures. There has been some rainfall seen in the Fire Nation in the episode "The Southern Raiders". Because of a warm and humid climate, the Fire Nation is home to a variety of native flora and fauna, though most of the main islands have been stripped of their forests and now consist of grassy plains.
After the Air Nomad Genocide, conducted by the Fire Nation, that resulted in the complete extinction of the Air Nomads, and the fauna that lived in the air temples with them, the population of the Air Nomads was small compared to the other nations, even to the Water Tribes. The sole known survivor of the massacre was Aang, the Avatar. Only the youngest of Aang's two sons, Tenzin, was an airbender.
The population of the Water Tribes is relatively small, and is the third most populous nation. Because of the Hundred Year War, the Southern Water Tribe was driven to the brink of extinction through a series of raids, hence the Northern Water Tribe is the most populous Water Tribe.
The Earth Kingdom is the most populous nation in the World of Avatar, Ba Sing Se, its capital, is one of the most populous cities. Due to the fact that the Earth Kingdom has the largest expanse of territory, it is an ethnically diverse country, with wide variance in customs between different provinces and tribes. The Earth Kingdom has not suffered a heavy loss of life or any sort of extinction in civilization or earthbenders.
The Fire Nation is the second largest nation in the world in terms of population and area. The nation has suffered some loss of life because of the Hundred Year War, but not so many as the other nations, who have been victims of more numerous attacks and genocides. The population of the Fire Nation is mostly concentrated in urban centers, though smaller settlements, villages and towns dot the landscape as well.
- The Fire Nation is situated on a small island but it has highly advanced technology, similar to Japan. Its culture is similar to the imperialist Japanese. The Earth Kingdom is very big, agrarian, and diverse, just like China. Air Nomad clothes and customs are similar to Tibetans and Central Asians, and residents of the Water Tribes are like the Inuits and Kipchak tribes. The sandbenders are similar to Uyghurs and Outer Mongolians.
- The world map is similar to our world map, but without the Americas. On the other hand, the Fire Nation is situated in the place where Mesoamerica, which is known for its Mayan and Aztec cultures, used to be. This most likely pertains to the Sun Warriors Ancient City Zuko and Aang discovered.
- An interesting fact is that although there are four air temples there are only three Air Nomad regions shown on the map, the Northern Air Temple lies on the northern tip of the Earth Kingdom mainland.