This Forum has been archivedVisit the new Forums
|Forums: War Room → Character Infobox Color Reform|
|This discussion is closed. The result of this discussion was:|
No changes were made to character infobox colour practices.
|Please do not edit this discussion.|
Ok, this discussion has been going on for a while, and with the recent color changes to everyone's profile, I've decided to bring it up again.
I personally feel that it is wrong to have only non-benders depicted with the UR color.
For example: The Satos. We know that they come from Fire Nation background, yet they get the UR colors because they are non-benders.
Or, Sokka, in fact. Should he be switched away from the blue color he has now because he moved to the UR? If any other non-bender were to move to the UR, we would most likely just change their to the UR one, since, we are going by current nationality.
Ways this Could Go
Well, here's my suggestion. We could
1) Stick with the current system, despite its faults.
2) Choose color by nationality, not bending.
3) Choose color priority by bending, ancestry, then current location, rather than bending then current location.
4) We could do something similar to HoT's suggestion here, but instead of multicultural families, it would be bending and nationality.
The way I see this as working out would be that the main color would be nationality, with a border color for bending. So, for example, take Mako. His info box and quote colors would be gold, like the other UR citizens, but would have a red background. For someone like Ozai who lived in the Fire Nation and will continue to be a firebender, he would have the normal color background, with a darker red borderline.
I, personally, am fine with any way we continue to go, (personally preferring #3, but I only added in #4 to come up with all possible ways to handle this) except for the first one. Simply because I don't like the idea that non-benders are the only ones who have UR colors, while all others get whatever color is their bending.
Things are fine the way they are. There is no reason to make things super confusing... The only thing I would suggest is changing the airbender/air nomad infobox color to gray, since the orange is already used for episode articles. Also, the gray is more air-like. DarkKnightRises (wall • contribs) 01:52, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
Sokka shouldn't have URN colors he is the S. Water Tribe representative, for example look at US representatives they are still citizens from whatever state they are from, but most live/have a house in Washington DC. Also the Satos could be either, are you counted a citizen based on your ancestry or where you have citizenship. But they could also be red for reasons mentioned above. Wildfire 01:56, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
- If all angles were looked at, then why are Asami and Hiroshi marked with gold? Quite frankly, it seems like a sort of prejudice, that benders get colors and non-benders don't. Also: The reason that the episodes are Orange is because the season is air. The only orange boxes are from LOK season 1. And, we couldn't change it to grey anyways because spirits already have grey colors.Truly Ferret 02:37, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
- I understand that the current scheme is imperfect, but it is the most practical way to go about these choices without resorting to unprofessional design choices. Infoboxes with two or more contrasting colours look terrible. Seriously. The justification for the current system is as follows: we would go by nationality and not bending first, but that would result in practically all characters in Korra except Korra herself being in the same colour. That's why we then go by bending – for the purposes of differentiation. However, if they are not benders, it is too difficult to decide how recently they or their ancestors moved to Republic City. There is no line to draw. So we blanket them all in the URN scheme. The 888th Avatar (talk) 03:09, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
I understand. It just seemed, a bit, awkward I guess? I don't know. But, I suppose it'll have to work for now. You can end this thread, BTW. Just move it to the bottom. Truly Ferret 03:25, June 15, 2012 (UTC)