Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|By Maritova||Part of thecontinuity.|
|Weapon of choice||
Earthen gun staff
, , ,
|Chronological and political information|
Group Earthbender, Botanist
The Gaang Jr.
Yue is a shy, retiring girl, the younger of Sokka and Suki's two children. Although she displayed a talent for Earthbending early on, she struggled with learning the forms. Her parents, while very proud that their daughter is a bender, have absolutely no idea how she should be trained; Aang, Toph, and a disastrous gambit with badger-moles all failed to raise her skills beyond the level of mediocre. Yue wanted to be like her brother , and make her parents proud. But destiny said otherwise, and granted her with clumsiness, shyness and a talent which never received proper training, despite Toph's best attempts.
Yue has traveled to the Fire Nation and both poles with her parents, but she is just as happy to stay home. She ran away from home with Hayoda out of a desire to prove that she can do exciting and adventurous things, just like her big brother and their parents.
Quiet and rather timid, Yue often feels inadequate. She is embarrassed by her clumsiness, the fact that she needs glasses to see clearly, and especially that she is terrible at Earthbending. Although she knows that her parents and her brother love her very much, she feels like they must be disappointed that she would rather tend her garden and collect rare plants than practice bending with her "Aunt" Toph. Most of the time, Yue is more shy and diffident rather than mopey or down on herself, but she often does consider herself inferior, and sometimes even a freak, even if she doesn't share these feelings with others. Eventually, she does become more proficient at Earthbending (learning a style different from Toph's from a retired Dai Li agent), which increases her self-esteem quite a bit.
Sokka and Suki always struggled with understanding Yue, since she is so different from the way they were at her age. When she was younger, they had a falling out regarding how to raise her. Sokka was very overprotective of her (he knew she was not meant to be a fighter), while Suki insisted in training her like they had done so with Hayoda.
Yue loves learning about nature, and exploring the forests of Kyoshi Island. She has a strong rapport with animals of all kinds, and is always finding new pets to bring home. For their part, animals seem to return her affection, sometimes even responding to her as though they can understand what she is saying. Without her, it is unlikely that the group would have been able to coax the pangolin-otter Po into pulling their boat.
While Yue's warmth and friendliness shows itself in her love for animals, her studious nature has also given her the colder and more focused approach of a scientist. Botany was her first love, and as Sokka reached through to her through encouragement of her quiet hobbies, she learned to share his more "scientific" approach to things. Before the kids' adventure began andwas thrust into the role, Yue acted as Hayoda's "plan guy," helping her brother plan and carry out his crazy schemes back on Kyoshi Island.
Even now, she is very methodical, hand-drawn charts and sketches scattered about the plants on the ship. Her adventures with her friends have helped her think of herself as a bender (though a poor one), and geology and chemistry have leaped into the forefront of her attentions. While not an inventor like her father, she is willing to break things down, study the minerals in the soil, and seek to understand the way the world works and how to make it do interesting things.
Yue's gift of Earthbendending is a rarity of sorts (a child of two non-benders). As a result, her chi isn't very potent at this stage of her life. Despite her strongest efforts, her influence over Earth is mediocre at best.
- Badgermole style: Toph's original teachings. To Toph's bewilderment, Yue simply can't properly execute her Earthbending stance either due to clumsiness or some other mitigating factor. Yue's use of this style is hit-or-miss, usually resulting in "misfires" and rarely striking her intended target.
- Botanical Use: Through self-experimentation, Yue found she can use her influence over her element to aid her in botanical pursuits. Rather than using hard-labor gardening tools, she uses subtle hand motions to cultivate, uproot, and plant many forms of flora.
- Rock Gloves (and other indirect attacks): Yue forms Dai Li style rock gloves around her hands. This establishes a more direct connection with her element and allows her to use the earth in inventive fashion. Examples of this range from using her element like a springboard to setting booby-traps to slow pursuers.
- Direct-combat styles: Yue tries her darndest to avoid direct confrontation, these stances are used when she is cornered or isolated from the rest of the gang
- "Earth-kata" style: Yue's longest-ranged attack. When cornered, Yue traces a circle in the earth around her and kneels down in the center. She pounds her rock-encased fists on several points along the circle, small pillars shoot up around her with the intention of striking or blocking attackers.
- Earthen gun style:During situations in which Yue must remain on-the-move, she forms a small gun with her Earthbending. While she is not well-suited for protracted battles, she is capable of warding off attackers in close quarters with her gun until one of her friends can assist her. Yue is also capable of sending a short-range wave of Earth at foes with a strike of her staff upon the ground.
Yue greatly admires her big brother Hayoda, and wishes she could be as amazing as he is. Hayoda can usually tell when something is on his sister's mind -- even if he has trouble understanding just what it is -- and knows how much a hug and an interesting stone or book found on an adventure can make her forget her troubles.
can always cheer Yue up when she is feeling down.
Yue and Tseng also have started to share a special bond. Whenever the Sea Wolves dock at a new port, Hayoda and Yi Lin usually run off immediately in search of adventure or proof, so Yue and Tseng have gotten used to being the "forgotten siblings" and often find something interesting together. Being more level-headed than the others, and having both been Hayoda's "plan guys" in the past, Tseng and Yue are able to enjoy one another's sensibility and desire to understand the world.
Yue and Irah are very friendly with each other. Ever since the two paid a visit to Irah's great-uncle Iroh, the quiet botanist has had a small section of her ship garden dedicated to tea plants, and Irah is all too happy to offer suggestions and try out the finished product.
- Yue won an Earth Rumble after Hayoda entered her into it (without her consent). Though many questioned whether or not she'd received illegal assistance from Toph, she was nevertheless awarded the championship belt.
- Yue is often accompanied by her pet ocelot-raven cub, Jiyi.
For the collective works of the author, go here.