|By AdamantiumBladez||Part of thecontinuity.|
|"Void is the element of balance."|
| || Juji's fine. He comes back to life in the end when the doomsday device shifts the polarity of the Earth. Oops. Spoiler. Sorry.
Warning! This page contains spoilers for.
Void is the element of balance, which focuses less on using emotional strength in order to bend, but instead utilises a clear mind that is purely focused on the task ahead without overthinking. The original technique of voidbending died with the original voidbenderss, however a string of unrelated voidbenders have sprung up over the centuries, with most creating a personal style that best focuses on the local styles an improvised moves
Voidbending is unique in that its style is only perfected and utilised solely by the wielders in modern times, that takes source from the local bending techniques of the wielders respective cultures and bending groups. i.e. Ithar's style is built from a variety of moves, but is mostly derived from firebending as his father was a firebender.
During the era of Raava, people received the element of void from the void lion turtle that was the guardian of their city, who would grant them the power with energybending. They could presumably request it whenever they ventured into the Spirit Wilds and were to return it when they came back. However, unlike the other elements, Wan never found the Lion Turtle before the end of Harmonic Convergence and so was never bestowed its gift when he became the Avatar upon fusing with Raava.
In the years following, voidbending was learned from the people that had once populated the voidbenders' land. They learnt how to master the void to sustain their lifespans, but that proved their destruction, when all the numbers continued to grow and continue living, eventually withered when there was not enough void to sustain themselves, causing the original voidbenders to die out from their own hubris.
In the millennias that followed, a series of voidbenders sprung up after the void lion turtle granted them the ability whether it would be for revenge, or not. The first neo-voidbender was Dasheng, the first recorded nonbender among the Air Nomads. Accused of lacking spirituality being his hindrance from being born with airbending, Dasheng was later given the power of voidbending, the first in a thousand years. He declared war on the Air Nomads and started war against them, however, he was confronted by Avatar Yontem, which only escalated the conflict when Dasheng defeated and killed the Avatar. His act ignited a new idea that the Avatar had mortality, and soon a war broke between the Avatar and Dasheng, with Dasheng continuously hunting down and killing each Avatar, until he came to Avatar Tenzin, who gave himself to Dasheng, who reconsidered his revenge, but nevertheless carried it out. Eventually Dasheng beaten and killed by Avatar Alignak.
There were at least five known successive voidbenders, including the infamous Han Huang, who led a campaign of world domination until his final defeat at the hands of Avatar Tzenno. His conquest left a lasting devastating blow on the history of the Four Nations, which resulted in the concealing any further knowledge of voidbending, and as well as mass international censoring of any particular form of information related to voidbenders and voidbending in general in the hopes of excluding he information to prevent another catastrophe on that scale.
The last known voidbender to gain the ability via a Lion turtle was a Fire Nation colonial of mixed Fire Nation/Earth Kingdom heritage called , who subsequently also gave the ability for the first time to the Avatar, when Avatar Aang attempted to restore his ability to bend using energybending, but the process backfired as Aang instead took his bending, which granted him the ability for the first time in an Avatar's history, though later the mistake was corrected and Ithar was granted his ability again.
Voidbenders draw their power from the void, a literal placement of particles existing in the air, only visible when bent or through the specialized technique of Smoke Sight. Void is produced and covered from living beings such as plants, animals, and more importantly humans. Void is also known as the outer energy, being responsible for sustaining human life, and growing old is the result of the void eventually vanishing with age. Places, such as the Timeless Zone, are famous for their excessive amounts of void energies that even non-voidbenders are sustained from aging while inside the world.
The Spirit World, while it contains void, is full of spirits and does not produce void as spirits have no biological mortality. However Spirits instead produce solely positive or negative forms of void which are distinguished by their differently charged colouring; positive void, or ether, is cyan, while negative void, or nether, is magenta or fuchsia. Voidbenders can manipulate both forms of void, but only very skilled voidbenders are able to solely positive or negative void. Combined positive and negative void is coloured as gold, which explains the mistaken connection to light.
Voidbending remains one of the most elusive forms of bending currently known; since the original style of voidbending is presumably lost, it remains heavily speculated by the neo-voidbenders to work with what they feel works best for their styles.
Neo-voidbenders tend to favour techniques and styles that fit their teaching styles or their own respective cultures; Dasheng's voidbending styles is based on airbending, showing more signs of circular motions and attacks using vacuum or blow-back forces that are so finely visible that it resembles light. Han Haung's voidbending is based on traditional earthbending, focusing on heavier strikes and stances, and the cuts are solid and they hit like a rock when they land against an enemy. Ithar's bending is more based on firebending, with attacks imploding and dissipating into smoke.
Ithar's bending relies purely on a combination of move sets that are borrowed and inspired by the forms of the other four elements, allowing him to switch his style at any point should he necessarily need to; while he is known to favour more defensive stances of voidbending, as well as slow and fluid motions in bending, he can just as easily switch onto the offensive if needed, and his bending becomes more like traditional forms of strikes and quick movements.
According to Ithar, void is the element of balance.
Burst Kick: Like the burst punch, the kick provides a small burst of void that implodes outwards like smoke.
Burst Punch: Similar to a firebending attacks, a void burst is a small ball of void that implodes outwards like smoke for a small quick attack that uses little energy to produce and can be used multiple times in a row.
Light Projection: Void can be used photokinetically to project light by either providing a charge to preexisting void in an atmosphere, or by grabbing hold of the void using the hand and
Smoke Sight: Using a simple brush motion across the users eyes, voidbenders can view the invisible charges of void. This technique is useful in using it to detect living creatures where sight is unreliable like in the dark or if they are hiding from plain sight. It also allows voidbenders to see usable sources of void in the surrounding environments.
Void Chop: A cutting downwards slicing motion that can evolve into a wave for a longer ranged attack.
Void Circle: Used as both a way of building up an attack by attracting void with the circular motion, and to also build up a ring that can then be used in defense, or let loose for a spiral attack.
Void Cross: A pronominally defensive attack, but also offensive when used in a similar fashion to a chop, the crossing motions provide an attack that can cut through an attack and counter it as well.
Void Swipe: Different from a chop, a swipe is a much larger spaced attack that crosses the body vertically and is also used as a form of blocking an incoming attack directly in front of the bender.
Voidbending master level
Celestial Sphere: Concentrating and powering up an attack in between the palms produces a sphere that can be fired with enough power to hit like a rock and then explode on impact like an combustion based attack.
Kinetic Force: Using void's natural ability to cling upon the limbs when purposely being bent, near direct contact can be made while still bending it to produce a force that is delivered by the motion towards another object, and the sudden stop becomes the release trigger for all that built up void.
Luminous Barrier: A protective move that completely blocks an attack in a concentrated area of the body produced by the attack. Skilled voidbenders can use this move as a way to
Photo Stream: An array of void projections that functions as a force inducing beam of concentrated void that continuously flows into the direction it is direct towards for as long as it is being generated.
Void Tremor: Slamming downwards towards the ground sends out a wave that spreads in all directions, knocking at the ankles. Stronger powered up attacks can be used to create larger waves that hit up to chest height.
Avatar level voidbending
It is currently unknown what Avatar-level power voidbending is capable of as no Avatar has been able to use voidbending until Aang received it. But even as of now, it is unknown what is capable.
Dimensional Travel: Cutting the void between open air allows voidbenders to step through and appear in differencing destinations that are often chosen by the user. High concentration on the place that they wish to go is required, and lack of clear thought will result in a random location spewing up with little direction to where it will open into.
Spacial Apparatus: Similar to the use of Temporal Reverse, Spacial Apparatus refers to a large variety of techniques that are used when the aid is needed most or at the command of the voidbender using it; using void in this manner normally uses up a lot of energy depending on how large a scale it is used.
Temporal Reverse: Using void, the trails that are left behind provide a way to reverse the movements of living objects that produce void and force them to move backwards from the direction they were currently moving away from.
Woodbending: Influencing the submissive nature of most plants and trees, voidbenders can use the void that is produced by them to influence purposing growth and movements that it wouldn't natural move in and can command it to its full uses.
As void requires preexisting quantities, places that are largely populated or vegetated are the biggest providers of external void sources rather than relying solely on the benders own void. The greater quantity allows for longer battles to persist. The Timeless Zones infinite flow of void holds the most potential in terms of what can be physically accomplished by any voidbender as long as they have the focus and imagination to perform such feats.
Opposite bending art
As the fifth element, void has no natural opposing bending art. In the Spirit World, however, spirits produce void as two separate energies known as ether and nether that are fully positively and negatively charged respectively.
Comparing with the four other bending art, it also opposes the other elements in how the bending art is performed; It uses solid stances, opposing to airbending's more looser forms of stances and keeping their footsteps light. A production of void burst erupts unlike water that continues to travel after being released. Voidbending movements are more looser than that of earthbending, with it precise and solid. And while firebending is fueled by emotional drive, voidbending lacks the need to rely on emotions and using emotions can cause problems.
As the element of balance, void is no powerful than any of the other four elements, but its advantages comes from the size of selective benders; a single voidbender is stronger than a whole group of voidbenders as the limitations of available void makes it more difficult for multiple benders to tap into their full potential in the presence of other voidbenders.
Though weapons are not generally required by benders to be put to use, a number of different weapons are usable with voidbending:
Weapons embroided with pieces of Ni's mirror are common forms of weaponry used by the later generations of voidbenders, the most notable being Ithar's flute dagger that uses three pieces of mirror in specific shades in order to produce unique forms of sounds that can harm spirits and also provide specific functions.
Forested Areas - Trees and all types of natural flora are useful sources of void, and can help a voidbender bend greater amounts than they usually are used to. Trees also provide a useful tool for the sub-skill woodbending, being able to manipulate the growth of the branches and use them to a voidbenders advantage.
Heavily Populated Areas - In a similar way to the use of void in heavily forested areas, people also generate void and so void can also be drawn from them. It is morally unjustified to attempt a similar technique to woodbending on people or to forcibly take their own void from them, but using the excess is justifiable.
Timeless Zone - The Timeless Zone is an infinite source of void, and also allows any inhabitants to cease the natural order of aging for as long as they remain within the dimension of the Timeless Zone. The Timeless Zone also provides easy travelling point between years at a time as all of time flows through the zone.
Upper Atmosphere - also known as Near Space, the area that lies between the ground and the depths of space. The planet's natural resource of void that keeps the world alive below from the depths of space. The void originated from the first life on earth and all the excess void is drawn into the upper atmosphere, so the excess is the greatest source in the physical world.
Deserted Environments - Areas that have no forms of life or vegetation produce no amount of void that a voidbender can use except for the benders own, which results in voidbenders being very weakened from exhausting their supplies. Even the ability to travel long distances using void is not usable with a users own void alone.
Emotional Charge - While not weakening void's effects or power, fuelling voidbending with emotional response can create imbalance and lead to uncontrollable consequences relating to how it is used.
Lack of Singular Thought - Void is an element that requires absolute attention to the task of bending it, any form of distraction to a non-master can have dire consequences, including void backlash. If a backlash void is met with a void of equal power, the collision of the opposing forces is enough to catapult the users and the surrounding area into different places.
Spirit World - Because spirits don't produce void, except in two opposing forces, it takes a master voidbender to be able to use it for any form of bending, but it is still weaker than bending normal void.
The symbol for void and voidbending is a circle with a set of six curves inside that curve outwards counter clockwise. It also shows how the void is linked to time (the void is symbolized by the empty border while time is symbolized by the counter clockwise curves). The symbol is featured in connection with the spirituality of the Timeless Zone, and on the pendant owned by Ithar.
Spirituality and voidbending
Since the Air Nomad, Dasheng became the first renegade voidbender, a deep spiritual connection as been seen as a true connection to the power of voidbending. As the element of balance, voidbenders consider themselves almost like the Avatar; using their void in ways as to maintain the balance of power in the world, however their interpretations to the words are always met with different approaches.
Dasheng was known as by his name meaning "equal of heaven", the name he took as he sprung a legend around him living almost as an immortal. Being outcasted by the Air Nomads for his supposed lack of spirituality, he set to prove himself by being better than his peers in spite of lacking airbending. And when it came to the day that he gained voidbending, he searched the world and eventually came to the conclusion that the Air Nomads upset the balance by being passive whilst the other nation would always show aggression and set out to influence a change in their culture by deliberately attacking them.
Han Huang however took it to the next level by instigating the War of the Black Phoenix, that set about conquering the world to maintain a single world order. Han had seen his country ripped apart by several rebellions, and decided that balance meant to hold the world in one order without resistance. He gave himself the name of the original voidbenders, the phoenix, and then conquered the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribes, before instigating a final war to conquer the Fire Nation.
Ithar's philosophy differs greatly to how all the other voidbenders viewed balance. The main object is that the Avatar wasn't around so that may have been a major influence in how Ithar's view of balance is perceived. Balance to him is just letting things go on, but to only intervene when the scales need to be balanced.
Voidbending is based closely on Wujiquan (Ultimate Void Boxing).
One of the rarest of traditional Shaolin Boxing systems, Wujiquan is also one of the purest of traditional Chinese soft-internal boxing systems (Neijia): being taught to very few in its entirety and only after years of rigorous training and testing for aptitude; it never became widely known, which meant that unlike the better known, Taijiquan, there was no opportunity for the system to undergo the experimentation and mixing with other systems and arts which during recent centuries led to the variety of styles which characterize Taijiquan.
- † indicates deceased during the series.
- S indicates known ability to use spacial apparatus.
- T indicates known ability to use temporal reverse.
- W indicates known ability to use woodbending.
- Void is named after the Japanese fifth classical element,
, which also translates as "Sky" or "Heaven".
- Kū represents spirit, thought, and creative energy. It represents the ability to think and to communicate, as well as creativity. It can also be associated with power, spontaneity, and inventiveness. These are reflected in the sub skills, Spacial Apparatus, allowing the manipulation of surroundings, and Temporal Reverse, that allows for the re-reaction to an event to act before it happens again.
- In martial arts, particularly in fictional tales where the fighting discipline is blended with magic or the occult, one often invokes the power of the Void to connect to the quintessential creative energy of the world.
- A warrior properly attuned to the Void can sense their surroundings and act without thinking, and without using their physical senses.
- Characteristics are also based on the fifth element of the Indian classical elements, Akasha, which has different meanings depending on the cultures that use it.
- In Hinduism, Akasha is the basis and essence of all things in the material world; the first material element created from the astral world. This is reflected in how void originated from all living things, and that voidbending was created by fusing the positive energy (Ether) with the negative energy (Nether).
- Jainism uses Akasha as two different forms; Loakasa (the part occupied by the material world) and Aloakasa (the space beyond it which is absolutely void and empty).
- In Buddhism, Akasha is divided into limited space (ākāsa-dhātu) and endless space (ajatākasā). Ajatākasā is semi represented in the Timeless Zone that is filled with infinite space and flowing resources of void.
- Carvakism exclude the fifth element, Akasha, because its existence cannot be perceived. This is similar to how voidbending became suddenly forgotten and its existence even questioned as real facts.
- Theosophy has popularized the word Akasha as an adjective, through the use of the term "Akashic records" or "Akashic library", referring to an ethereal compendium of all knowledge and history. Ithar displays these traits by being fully aware of a lot of history regarding the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender despite not appearing.
- Indian Pagans believe that the combination of the four elements make up that which is Akasha, and that Akasha exists in every living creature in existence; without Akasha, there is no spirit, no soul, no magic. Practitioners learn to maintain mental and physical health through meditation, exercise, ritual and diet. They are expected to have a profound commitment to their life path. Ithar's bending in particular is based on the combined skill sets of the other four forms of bending into a form that works for him.
- The appearance of void being bended is based on the description of the fifth Greek classical element, Aether, which is described a gold as light.
- Many 20th Century scholars theorized that Aether was in fact related to light, and the motions it carries with it in celestial bodies.
- The positive side of Spirit World void, Ether, is named after it, while Nether is a shortening of "negative ether".
- The ability, Smoke Sight, was inspired by the legend of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King who could see the true forms of demons through visions of gold sparks surrounding their true forms.
- The use of the term smoke was based on the weakness to the Monkey King's ability to see the forms as a hindrance.
- Dasheng is heavily based on the Monkey King, even taking his title "Great Sage, Equal of Heaven" ( ) as his name.
- The use of the Phoenix being the original voidbenders originated from the legend of Phoenixes being reborn in a blast of golden flame to become young again when they reach old age.
- This was also the inspiration for the revitalization used by voidbenders and the effects of the Timeless Zone.
- The symbol for voidbending is based on the combining of the symbols Ensō (the infinite circle), representing the vast emptiness of quintessence (space/heaven), and the Hex Symbol for the Void, representing the natural flow of the continuum (time).
- Just like the four elements are based on states of matter, void is based around Photonic matter, where light and energy form together to create some form of mass or force.
- Void is also like a higher state of plasma, often dubbed 'beam', representing light with no literal force or mass, that have instability and disperse after joining in similar style to void.
There are a variety of real-world influences on voidbending, including:
For the collective works of the author, go here.