|By The Bos||Genre||Rating||Reviews||Updates|
|More from The Bos||Action, Background||PG||None||Done|
| You should have seen yourself! It was amazing!
This fanon series is completed, meaning all expected chapters have been released.
The Generals is a background story centering around the leader of the Council of Five, General How written by . Set in the 'Wanted' universe, the story includes details from the spin-off series as well, including and . The story seeks to elaborate on his origins in becoming the famed 'Raging Badgermole' as well as his relationship with General Beipan.
Production History Edit
Following the publication of the three-part 'The Charade' chapter for, contacted The Bos about doing a possible one-shot How's background with Beipan. Liking How as a character and up for a challenge, The Bos accepted. As he began writing How's experiences, however, The Bos realized that there was too much information to be contained in a one-shot. At Dragon's urging, he decided to split the story into two pieces, but he continued writing. With each additional scene, the chapter increased in length.
After finally completing the project, The Bos saw that the single 'chapter', in its entirety, was 32 pages and over 17,000 words. He debated for a while whether or not to post it as a single chapter, as it was intended, or to break it up into several serials. Unable to pick the series' format, he posted a poll in order to allow the community to decide the format. After the vote came up 6-4 for a serial series over a one-shot, The Bos divided the series up into various parts that kept as much continuity as possible.
In the Wanted continuity, General How is a hardened man. Having experienced a great deal of suffering at the hands of the Fire Nation, he is determined not to let that nation, or anyone for that matter, trample over him again. He knows too well to "never give up without a fight;" a philosophy he takes seriously.
With this information, The Bos set out to elaborate on how How became the tough man he was in the later Wanted series by expanding on his relationship with General Beipan. The Bos hopes to make the series into a story of redemption, where all known details about How's life, rise to power, his story at the Siege, and his current situation during the War of the Lotuses.
The Generals is intended to be a unified storyline. The story begins followingand concludes before . The story employs frequent flashbacks to earlier points in How's lifetime, yet, when it leaves the flashback, always returns to the same point. Due to this form, The Bos remained unsure for a while publish it as a one shot or a series of serials. After the community vote, the chapter took on the form of a serial series.
Required Reading Edit
In order to understand the premise of The Generals, readers must understand the following:
- Background knowledge of : The reader must understand the War against the Black Lotus.
- Knowledge of : The reader must have a background in understanding Aang's struggle in bringing balance to the world during the Lotus' War.
- Particular emphasis must be placed upon reading , , and , as they directly prologue the series.
- Certain aspects of : Particular focus must be brought to The Wall chapters, as they overlap with part of the series. , , , and all cover the battle at the Wall of Ba Sing Se.
Resolved Plotlines Edit
- The character of Shu is expanded.
- How How got the nickname 'Raging Badgermole'.
- Origin of the "Abandon Hope" marking on the entrance to the Serpent's Pass.
- Story of How's promotion to head of the Council of Five.
- Story of Beipan's promotion to the Council of Five.
- Origins of Zuko's dagger.
For the collective works of the author, go here.
|The Generals Chapters|
|- - - -|