|By Dudewaldo4||Part of thecontinuity.|
|"Oh, I've been around a while. You pick things up."|
|— Piandao and in "Sokka's Master" and " ," respectively.|
|Order of the White Lotus|
Iroh (Grand Lotus)
The Order of the White Lotus is an ancient secret society that transcends the boundaries of the four nations, seeking philosophy, beauty and truth. They are devoted to the sharing of ancient knowledge across national and political divides.
Formed centuries ago by the wisest scholars from all over the world, the Order began as a club where these ancient masters could challenge one another on the Pai Sho table. They derived their name from the white lotus tile used in Pai Sho, a key element in their strategy. They communicate membership through the game by placing Pai Sho tiles on the board in a specific manner that identifies themselves to other members of the society - a bloomed Lotus bud with the Lotus chip in the center.
Iroh, a lover of Pai Sho, is a Grand Master and the Grand Lotus of the order and has always said, "Pai Sho is more than just a game." Sokka's sword master, Piandao, is an important member of this order, as his parting gift to Sokka is the white lotus tile. Also, the hilt of Sokka's sword has the sign of the White Lotus, another sign that Piandao is a member. On the doors of his house there is also a giant White Lotus sign.
Master Pakku, King Bumi and Jeong Jeong are also revealed to be members in "Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters, although none have shown the symbols of the Order, or even of knowing each other during the episodes of the show, though Bumi comically tells Sokka that 'all old people know each other.' Other members are also visible in the Order's campsite.
It is possible that Sokka has been recruited in the Order of the White Lotus after "Sokka's Master." When Sokka and the others are leaving Piandao's home the butler comes out to give Sokka a white lotus tile, a gift from Piandao. No confirmation of this was ever shown. As the Order consists of mostly great masters of their arts, Piandao's prediction that Sokka would become a sword master in his own right someday thanks to his creativity and ingenuity ("Sokka's Master") might well earn him a place in the Order later in life.
The Order plays a relatively minor role until the final episodes, when its members finally unite to win back Ba Sing Se. Some members, such as Iroh and Jeong Jeong, tapped into the power of Sozin's Comet, to increase their powers, during the liberation. They also helped Toph, Sokka, and Suki arrive at Ozai's Airship Base in time, by lending them an Eel hound.
During the liberation of Ba Sing Se, it is shown that the Order has a uniform, which consists of an indigo-colored outfit with white details, an indigo-colored cape and a Lotus patterned adorn around the shoulders. They also have a flag, showing a white lotus. Iroh the Grand Master/Lotus, also seems to have more to his outfit, with indigo-colored armor, and a robe under all of this, which is based on the white lotus flower.
- The Order of the White Lotus could be a reference to the White Rose, a non-violent resistance group during the Third Reich in Nazi Germany, or more likely the White Lotus Society from China, which began in the late thirteenth century and was instrumental in various rebellions throughout the centuries. Though, it's possible that both are references, as both share similar principles.
- The Order of the White Lotus's initials are OWL. The owl is an animal which often signifies knowledge. Wan Shi Tong, a knowledge spirit, also takes the form of an owl. The Greek Goddess of Wisdom is Athena whose sacred animal and symbol is the owl.
- The Order of the White Lotus's organization mimics that of the Freemasons, another (allegedly) ancient "society of secrets", whose members of many different cultures and views, stretch all over the world.
- In Hinduism, the lotus symbolizes beauty and non-attachment. Beauty is one of the goals of the Order of the White Lotus, and the society is not attached to any government or region.
- It is unknown if the title of "Grand Lotus" can be held by more than one member at a time. However, Iroh is referred to as "a Grand Lotus".
For the collective works of the author, go here.
Past, Present, and Future Characters
|Bumi • Kanna • Pathik • Oma • Shu|
|Iroh • Ursa|
|Aang • Azula • Katara • Pathik • Sokka • Toph • Zuko|
|Fire Nation - Afiko|
|Gyatso • Lu Ten • Pakku • Pasang • Roku • Tashi • Yugoda|
|Chao • Dao • Diju • Hakuri • Hebi • Huowoun • Kotoka • Kuwabara • Lyaka • Makato • Mikaere • Mori • Morioka • Ping • Qiang • Qui Tu • Shaocia • Sying • Tamaki • Usami • Wada|
|Vote on your favorite character!|