|More from ArthCymro||Adventure/Action||PG-13||Here||No update page|
|Avatar: Age of Din|
Thirty years prior to the series, the world underwent a second transition as a result of the action of Avatar Korra. Technology and culture continued to thrive, with new inventions and fashions developing. During the last years of her life, Korra and Asami got married and started a family. Furthermore, with a newly developed Air Nation and a transitioned Earth Kingdom, new bending techniques are developed. However, in the year 182 AG, Korra died of a mysterious illness, resulting in the new Avatar being born in the Earth Kingdom, in the town of Suiro, Din.
In present times, Din has spent over 10 years of his life as a nomad with his saber-tooth moose lion, Roda. Despite mastering earthbending, airbending and firebending, he has yet to fully grasp waterbending. During a shopping trip in Republic City, Din detects a lava flow under the city, which he prevents but reveals himself to the world.
Not wishing to take up the responsibility of being the Avatar, Din tries to return to his nomad life. However, he soon finds that the world is now facing a new crisis. A plague has spread across the world, killing off benders and rapidly bringing their number down to the few hundreds. The benders left are in danger of being kidnapped and forced to participate in dangerous Bending Arenas, managed by Madame. On top of that, a mysterious force known as the Black Lily hides among the shadows as well as a returning dangerous force that predates humanity itself.
Left with no choice, Din begins to accept his position as Avatar and complete his training. He is soon joined by his plantbending cousin, Zhang, Bolin and Opal's airbending daughter, Ruby, arena champion, Akemi and Korra's daughter, Mali. He is also assisted by many of Korra's family and friends, including Bolin, Mako, Asami, and Tenzin, as well as new faces, environmentalist Zetsu, pilot Ship and fireman Mor.
- Din is the current incarnation of the Avatar and the main protagonist of the story. A talented bender, he has mastered many of the bending arts by himself as well as introducing a new one. Whilst his family is from the Earth Kingdom, his father's side family is mixed with Foggy Swamp ancestry, including the famed waterbender, Huu. He is stubborn and adaptive, having spent many years on his own. Unlike Korra, Din despises his role as the Avatar but slowly accepts it over the series, learning that, sometimes, one must accept their responsibility from the good of others. He is usually accompanied by his saber-tooth moose lion, Roda.
- Zhang is a waterbender from the Foggy Swamp and Din's cousin. He works and trains as a doctor in Republic City and later joins Din in his efforts to save the world. Like Din, he has both Earth Kingdom and Foggy Swamp Tribe family, though unlike Din, Zhang's family is more Foggy Swamp. His mother is one of the six chiefs of the Foggy Swamp Tribe. He is a talented waterbender and is capable of the art of plantbending and healing. Zhang is usually accompanied by his pet sky serpent, Meep.
- Ruby is an airbender and one of Bolin and Opal's three children. An epitome of her father, Ruby is very fun and humorous but does come across as immature and naive. A talented dancer and musician, she shares her father's optimistic and happy personality and harbours a secret crush on Din. She trains under the tutelage of Jinora and Rohan and soon discovers a talent for sonicbending.
- Akemi is the stubborn champion of the Bending Arena. Having spent most of her life as a fighter, she has mixed her firebending skills with various fighting styles. She is also the first to develop the art of heatbending, allowing her to affect the temperature of her body and environment. Despite her violent and cold ways, she has a good heart and also shows skill in craftwork such as tailoring. She is also the only person in over two centuries to have naturally blonde hair.
- Mali is the non-bender daughter of Korra and Asami and the biological daughter of Mako. She has dedicated her life to finding her mother's killer and has spent years developing new technology, with her skills rivalling that of her grandfather. Mali possesses a variety of tools and usually fights with her bo staff. Mali is also a skilled fighter, using techniques used in bending to attack and defend as well as being able to negate the effects of chi blocking.
- Mako is the current Chief of Police and former member of Team Avatar. Following Korra's death, Mako buried himself in work, straining his relationship with his daughter Mali. When Din returned, Mako helped him perfect his firebending and along with his brother, Bolin, acted as his surrogate family. During the Ambush of the Black Lily, Mako is stabbed by Sora and later dies of his injuries.
- Bolin is a police captain and a former member of Team Avatar. He juggles his job in the police with his work as an actor in 'movers' and theatre. He trains Din in the art of lavabending as well as helps him overcome many of his past struggles. He lives in Republic City with his wife, Opal, and children, Ruby, San and Jasper.
- San is the eldest of Bolin and Opal's children. A police officer in training, San is a skilled metalbender but is rather out of shape. San was originally envious of Din due to his ability to lavabend, something he was never able to do. Soon, however, he and Din became friends, bonding over their shared love for Bolin's 'movers'. Later, Din teaches San the technique of Spiritual Construction. During the Ambush of the Black Lily, San loses his left arm, later getting a metal prosthetic made by Mali, which he controls with his bending.
- Asami is the CEO of Future Industries and former member of Team Avatar. Following Korra's death, Asami became very hollow and depressive, closing herself off from her family and friends. Luckily, Din manages to return her to the waking world, and she soon assists in his quest to save the world.
- Ship is a pilot and engineer who works for Yangchen Airways and Future Industries and pilots the Silver Bison. A cocky and boisterous man, he is loyal to Asami, helping her develop new technologies such as Heera's geothermal power station, sonars and computers. He also assists the White Lotus with transportation and helps Team Avatar with their quest to save the world.
- Tenzin is the youngest son of Aang and Katara and the former leader of the Air Nation. Due to age, Tenzin left the position of leader to his children and family, spending his retirement with Pema in Air Temple Island. He assists in training Din in the spiritual and political side of being the Avatar as well as acts as an advisor for the White Lotus. He is often visited by his grandchildren, Suki, Gyatso and Katara. Tenzin later dies during the Ambush of the Black Lily, saving his family and airbenders from an explosion.
- Mor is the head Fireman of Republic City and one of the three leaders of the Republic City Emergency Services. A tough and hardworking man, he is regarded as one of the greatest waterbenders left in the world and is able to perform spiritbending. He initially didn't like Din due to his passionate nature and lack of control but later grew to respect him after he and his friends freed those enslaved by the Bending Arenas. During the Ambush of the Black Lily, Mor sacrifices himself to save the world's politicians, killing himself and the Tywod in the process.
- General Tarani is the current general in the United Forces, the niece of General Iroh and the great-grandchild of Lord Zuko. A brilliant firebender and lightning generator, she is a respected military leader. As well as a military leader, Tarani established the Golden Chain, the worlds intelligence agency. She was engaged to Bor Dusta before it was revealed that he was using her. After giving birth to her and Bor's son, Golau, she takes maternity leave.
- Zetsu is the main antagonist of the first book of the series. He initially appeared as a well-loved and friendly ally of the White Lotus and ran many environmental charities and companies. He is later revealed to be the leader of the Black Lily, known as the First Seed, and has been manipulating everyone to achieve his goal of exterminating humanity from the face of the earth and bring about a new balance. He is a talented earthbender, being capable of psychic bending as well as lavabending and metalbending. After the Black Lotus is defeated, he attempts to get revenge but is stopped by Din who removes his bending using energybending.
- Sora is a member of the Black Lily and Din's old brother. He is a cold and cruel man, barely showing an emotion even in the toughest of moments. He is a skilled waterbender and is capable of bloodbending. He wishes to kill his brother out of envy and hatred. During his fight against Din on Mako Isle, Din paralysis him, resulting in him losing his bloodbending abilities. Sora is then arrested and imprisoned.
- Madame is the leader of the Bending Arenas as well as many bending slave labour markets. She is a skilled firebender and lightning generator and is always accompanied by her star gladiator, Tywod. After Team Avatar busts her slave market, she allies herself with the Black Lily and becomes a member of Zetsu's inner circle. She is killed by Din during the Outrage of Avatar Din.
- Sin is Zetsu's right-hand man as well as a former Equalist. A brilliant chemist and doctor, Sin first appears as the head physician at the Katara General Hospital and was trying to find a source and cure for the illness known as Chi Sickness. In truth, he created the illness to drastically cripple the bending population as part of the Black Lily's goals. He is defeated by Mali during the Outrage of Avatar Din and is imprisoned.
- Monk Shulei is a member of the Black Lily and one of Zetsu's inner circle. Despite being mute, Shulei is a skilled airbender and sonicbender. Capable of moving without making a sound, he is often sent on espionage missions. He is defeated by San and Ruby during the Outrage of Avatar Din before being arrested later.
- The Dustas are identical triplet brothers who work as sleepers for the Black Lily. Bo is an earthbender who became a Dai Li agent after they became a crime organisation. Bor is a waterbender who worked as a commander in the United Forces and was the boyfriend of General Tarani. Boa is a firebender who worked for the Republic City Emergency Services as Mor's vice. All three are defeated by Jinora, Ikki, Meelo and Rohan during the Outrage of Avatar Din and are later killed unintentionally by Din.
Book 1: Death
After saving Republic City from a volcanic eruption, Din's role as the Avatar is now known to the public. Despite being frustrated at the sudden attention and unwanted responsibilities, Din finds that the world is in dire need of his help. The Dai Li have betrayed the Earth Kingdom and become a criminal organisation. The spirit wilds are receding and the spirits have lessened. A deadly sickness has crippled that bending population. The benders left are in danger of abduction and enslavement. On top of that, Din learns of the elusive group known as the Black Lily, who hide in the shadows, wish to eradicate human civilisation. With no idea who's friend or foe, Din undergoes training in hopes of bringing tranquillity, hope and order back to the world. Furthermore, unbeknownst to anyone, something approaches from the heavens.
Book 2: Life
Four months after the events of the first book, the world has slowly started to recover from the Black Lily's attacks. Moving past his grief and completing, Din is now a Fully Realised Avatar. But at the peak of a Blood Moon at the Night of Reunion, Din has a terrifying vision. A celestial object, known as The Toji Meteor, is set to collide with Earth. With only a season to find a way to stop it, Din and his friends travel to the Spirit World, to search for the Primordials, ancient spirits long thought gone. Delving deep into his spiritual connections, Din learns that the meteor's threat is more than just to the worlds way of life. An unyielding and old power rests inside it, which overshadows all the enemies Din and his past lives have faced. With this being threatening the very structure of the world's order, Din must fight harder then any Avatar has fought before and must do the impossible to save the world and those he loves.
- Three new specialized bending techniques are introduced. Sonicbending which is a sub-skill of airbending that allows users to bend sound waves. Heatbending which is a sub-skill of firebending that involves users bending and manipulating the heat around and within themselves. Spiritual Construction which is a difficult sub-skill of earthbending that allows a person to project their spirit through the ground to create external bodies made of earth.
- Whilst The Legend of Korra took inspirations from the 1920s, The Age of Din's culture, fashion and technology take inspiration from the 1940s, 1950s and a small amount of the 2010s. It also retains its predecessor's noir and steampunk elements as well as adds elements of wartime, horror and dieselpunk.
- This series has a darker tone compared to the previous two as well as using more adult language and violence. It also focuses on themes like environmentalism, utilitarianism, nondualism, the function of death, responsibility and misanthropy.
- It's shown that bloodbending can be used to control some bodily functions as well be used for medical purposes such as surgery.
- Each of Team Avatars bending members possessed or developed a subskill: Din could lavabend and bloodbend, Zhang could plantbend and heal, Ruby developed the modern ability of sonicbending, Akemi created the art of heatbending.
- This series explores the origin of the Spirit World, Raava and Vaatu as well as introduces the Primordials, ancient spirits that have existed since the dawn of time and life. The story also explores the origin of the banyan-grove tree, the Tree of Time and the spirit wilds.
For the collective works of the author, go here.