While traversing the Great Divide together with the Zhangs and the Gan Jins, Aang discovered both tribes had smuggled food in defiance of the canyon guide's warnings. His outrage at this discovery dissipated, however, when he noticed that the Zhang tribe had brought at least one egg custard tart with them, the glimpse reminding him of how hungry he was. After successfully escaping the canyon, he asked where that custard tart was, stating he was "starving".
The egg tart is a real-life dish that was introduced into China in the 20th century. An adaptation of the Portuguese pastel de nata, in which a round crust is filled with egg custard and baked, it came into mainland China via the colony of Macau.
- The egg custard tart was Aang's favorite food.
- The egg custard tart featured in "The Great Divide" was four weeks old.
- ↑ From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com (link). No longer updated.
- ↑ O'Bryan, John (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (May 20, 2005). "The Great Divide". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 1. Episode 11. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Avatar Extras for "The Great Divide" on Nicktoons Network.