Shortly before the end of the Hundred Year War, Piandao provided Sokka, Suki, and Toph with one of these creatures to transport them to Ozai's airship base in order to stop the Fire Lord's airship fleet. The eel hound quickly crossed the Earth Kingdom and swam toward the base, allowing its riders to board the departing fleet at the last moment.
The eel hound is a large, amphibious creature that exhibits the ability to swim and run quickly. It is at least eight feet tall and roughly twenty-five to thirty feet long with dark green scales, except along its ventral side, from its jaw to its tail. The eel hound is green in color with a lighter shade on its underbelly, and a darker shade of green on top of its body.
The eel hound has a very wild nature, which can make it challenging to train. As such, very few people have attempted to do so, making the animals not commonly used as mounts.
Once it is properly trained, however, the eel hound's nature calms, and they can be used for swift transportation; Piandao credited them as being the fastest known animal over land and water.
The eel hound is a cross between a greyhound and an eel. With its long, powerful legs, deep chest, flexible spine, and slim build of the greyhound combined with an elongated neck and tail similar to an eel, it slightly resembles a gigantic greyhound and can run at similar speeds.
- After the Hundred Year War, a pro-bending team from Ember Island named themselves the Eel Hounds.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ehasz, Aaron (writer) & Volpe, Giancarlo (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 19. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 DiMartino, Michael Dante, Konietzko, Bryan (writers) & Dos Santos, Joaquim (director). (July 19, 2008). "Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno". Avatar: The Last Airbender. Season 3. Episode 20. Nickelodeon.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 From older Avatar: The Last Airbender official site, originally on Nick.com (link). No longer updated, encyclopedia now broken though archived here.
- ↑ The Legend of Korra: Welcome to Republic City. Nickelodeon (May 11, 2012). Retrieved on May 11, 2012.