"It's a big concept in Eastern philosophy. The idea of change, and this notion that nature is always changing and that's the only constant, that sort of principle. So we were attracted to it for that reason, and as Mike described, it's about dealing with the changes that happened in the world after Harmonic Convergence, so it seemed to fit."
Book Three: Change (The Legend of Korra, which ran for a total of thirteen episodes. Set two weeks after the end of Book Two: Spirits, the nomenclature refers to the changes induced by the energy shift of the planet due to Harmonic Convergence and Korra's battle with the Dark Avatar.) is the third and penultimate book of
As of May 8, 2014, the animation for Book Three had been completed by Studio Mir. Production work for Book Three was officially completed on June 3, 2014. The book debuted with the first three episodes airing on June 27, 2014. On July 24, it was announced that following the airing of "The Terror Within", the remaining five episodes of the book would be moved to online releases, including Nickelodeon's website. The book concluded with the release of the last two episodes on August 22, 2014. Although the last five episodes were shown online exclusively for the book's initial run, they aired alongside the rest of Book Three: Change on Nicktoons starting October 6, 2014. It is followed by Book Four: Balance.
|1||27||"A Breath of Fresh Air"||June 27, 2014|
|2||28||"Rebirth"||June 27, 2014|
|3||29||"The Earth Queen"||June 27, 2014|
|4||30||"In Harm's Way"||July 11, 2014|
|5||31||"The Metal Clan"||July 11, 2014|
|6||32||"Old Wounds"||July 18, 2014|
|7||33||"Original Airbenders"||July 18, 2014|
|8||34||"The Terror Within"||July 25, 2014|
|9||35||"The Stakeout"||August 1, 2014 (online)
October 6, 2014 (television)
|10||36||"Long Live the Queen"||August 8, 2014 (online)
October 7, 2014 (television)
|11||37||"The Ultimatum"||August 15, 2014 (online)
October 8, 2014 (television)
|12||38||"Enter the Void"||August 22, 2014 (online)
October 9, 2014 (television)
|13||39||"Venom of the Red Lotus"||August 22, 2014 (online)
October 9, 2014 (television)
Book Three will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on December 2, 2014.
|Volume title||Episodes||Release date|
|Book Three: Change (DVD)||All episodes of Book Three||December 2, 2014|
|Book Three: Change (Blu-ray)||All episodes of Book Three||December 2, 2014|
- Due to Nickelodeon shortening the series' screentime, Book Three episodes were twenty-two minutes long, down from twenty-three minutes as in previous books.
- On June 8, 2014, episodes three through six of Book Three were accidentally leaked on the Mexican Nickelodeon website, MundoNick.
- The leaked episodes prompted the production team to release an official trailer for the third book on June 11, earlier than originally planned.
- On August 7, 2014, the tenth episode of Book Three was leaked as well.
- Book Three: Change ends with the Avatar substantially wounded, much like Book Two: Earth of the original series. It also parallels Book Three: Fire in the fact that both end with a ceremony and the imprisonment of the primary antagonists.