| This page documents an official Avatar Wiki policy.
It is a widely accepted standard that should normally be followed by all editors.
The central goal of the continuity hierarchy is to provide a clear and cohesive storyline throughout all canon articles. With the large expanse of Avatar related materials, contradictions between sources can arise. In order to ensure that the articles on the Avatar Wiki are not contradictory to each other, a hierarchy is set in place to determine which sources take precedence and which facts should be accepted as part of the main continuity.
When opposing facts from different sources are presented, the following hierarchy based on the source of the fact is to be used. Nothing from a lower tier can contradict information from a higher tier. For instance, if information from a tier 4 source directly contradicts something from a tier 2 source, the information from the tier 2 source will be accepted as the main canon continuity. When there is a contradiction between facts taken from sources from the same tier, the fact that contradicts the existing continuity the least will be accepted.
- Tier 1: Information originating from episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.
- Tier 2: Information originating from officially licensed works (e.g. publications, media releases) with direct involvement from the series' creators or creative team.
- e.g. standalone single issue comics, graphic novel trilogies, and library editions of said trilogies; Escape from the Spirit World online game; Avatar: The Last Airbender—Legacy; boxed DVD set bonus features, etc.
- Tier 3: Information originating from non-official or non-licensed works with direct involvement from the series' creators or creative team.
- e.g. EW Weekly, Comic-Con, and miscellaneous fan-site interviews, blogs, and event transcriptions, etc.
- Tier 4: Information originating from officially licensed works without direct involvement from the series' creators and/or creative team.
- e.g. video games, Avatar Extras, Nick.com website, etc.