|Bureaucrats (nominations)||Admins (nominations)||Rollback (requests)||Moderators (requests)||Chat moderators (requests)||Standards Council||Community newsletter|
See a list of users with chat moderator rights here.
About chat moderators
Chat moderators are members of the community who have a few additional abilities to help administrators maintain the chat on the wiki. They are able to kick and ban other users from the chat, under conditions established by our chat policy.
In addition to following all relevant behavioral policies, chat moderators must not:
- Consider comments from different users to have different status. The comments of experienced users should be judged in the same manner as those of new users.
- Use their abilities to censor or otherwise unfairly inhibit reasonable discussion.
- Misapply or selectively apply behavioral policies in their moderating role.
These guidelines are assumed to apply equally to administrators.
If it is believed that privileges are being abused by a chat moderator, the following process should be applied.
- Communication with the moderator must be attempted. Leave a polite message for the contributor instructing them that their conduct may be harming community cohesion. If multiple attempts fail to have an impact, the user should be advised that removal of their rights may be an option.
- If further attempts at communication and rectification of conduct continue to fail, removal of chat moderator rights will be considered by an active administrator. If a decision to remove chat moderator rights is taken, detailed reasoning must be provided on the wall of the affected user in order to satisfy a standard of accountability. One or more of the following must be shown:
- Sustained, deliberate misuse of the privileges given to moderators
- Sustained failure to follow behavioral policies in their entirety
- Sustained failure to follow the conduct guidelines outlined further above
A summary removal of chat moderator rights does not preclude a user from reapplying for those rights later.
Chat moderators should remain active to moderate the chat, having been entrusted with additional user rights by its community.
- An active status is defined as:
- Reasonable activity on the chat, defined as being present at some point during the day on most days of the month.
- Reasonable speed in replying to user talk messages, defined as replying before the poster of the user talk message is forced to make an alternative consultation.
- If the moderator is not active under the definition above for a period of two months, removal of user rights will take place by an active administrator.
Becoming a moderator
- Main article: Requests for chat moderator rights
On Avatar Wiki, users with a strong history of activity and moderation on the chat may be granted chat moderator rights by requesting it at requests for chat moderator rights.