Motor vehicles are a form of transportation available in all four nations. Following the end of the Hundred Year War, the World of Avatar advanced to a stage where the mass production of these modes of transportation became possible.
- Car - Smaller form of automobiles widely used in Republic City.
- Race car - Type of car built for thrill seekers. They come in yellow and red and exhibit a sleek design, along with a high-powered engine which allows for faster speeds but can nonetheless help maneuver it smoothly around a race track. Race cars have four black wheels located at the very front and back of the vehicle.
- Taxi cab - Provides transportation to citizens who cannot afford cars and offers romantic rides in Republic City Park. With a rectangular design and small wheels, taxi cabs resemble better buses, though the passenger compartments are open to the air and the driver's seat is at the vehicle's upper rear. They are generally green and brown in coloration with yellow or red trimmings for the roof.
- Truck - Larger-sized vehicles driven daily in Republic City. They have a storage on their rear for transporting supplies. The storage is accessible via a door on the very back of the truck, and can hold many items due to its large size.
- Motorcycle - Two-wheeled type of automobile that are also commonplace in Republic City. Motorcycles used by the Equalists are capable of releasing a smokescreen behind them.
- Moped - A similar shape to the motorcycles which are sleeker and more feminine. The driver's feet are placed at the front, and not on the sides as they are on a motorcycle.
- Main article: Satomobile
Satomobiles are cars produced by Future Industries. Hiroshi Sato created the brand after convincing a wealthy banker to invest in the production of automobiles for the common citizen, and his daughter, Asami, later took over as head of the company. The Satomobile pioneered the development of the gasoline-powered engine, which eventually took prevalence over steam engines due to its practicality in small-scale use.
Cabbage Cars Edit
- Main article: Cabbage Corp
Eager to cash in on the success of Sato's gasoline engine, several other companies began manufacturing automobiles as well. One of these was Cabbage Corp, which soon began marketing the Cabbage Car, a cheap, compact alternative to the Satomobile.
- Motor vehicles are not a new addition to the World of Avatar; during the Invasion of the Fire Nation, the mechanist unveiled new war technology, including a truck that supplied bending material to the earthbenders. It should be noted, however, that these vehicles were based more on tank technology, using treads to move instead of tires like the new automobiles.
- They are depicted as CGI renders using the same cell shading methods Avatar: The Last Airbender did for airships and many other vehicles including tanks and sometimes ships.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Legend of Korra: Welcome to Republic City. Nickelodeon (April 6, 2012). Retrieved on April 20, 2012.
- ↑ "When Extremes Meet". Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko (writers) & Joaquim Dos Santos, Ki Hyun Ryu (directors). The Legend of Korra. Nickelodeon. June 2, 2012. No. 8, Book One: Air
- ↑ The Legend of Korra Press Site - Character descriptions. Viacom International Inc. (March 2012). Retrieved on March 17, 2012.
- ↑ "The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion". Michael Dante DiMartino (writer) & Giancarlo Volpe (director). Avatar: The Last Airbender. Nickelodeon. November 30, 2007. No. 10, Book Three: Fire