On Avatar Wiki, any user (including an anonymous IP) can create a page. This is an enshrined right on any wiki. There are however several guidelines what type of pages can be created.
The following types of articles must not be created:
- Articles about minute details e.g. "Zuko's Firebending" or "Unnamed House in Ba Sing Se"
- Articles about "shipping" e.g. "Kataang" or "Zutara"
- Articles that are purely speculation e.g. "Azula's Release" or "Aang's Children"
- Articles that are galleries e.g. "Gallery of Ba Sing Se" or "Gallery of Aang"
- Articles that are spam e.g. "Aang rockssss!" or "Ozai is a fool!!!!"
- Articles that are fan fiction e.g. "Avatar: Uprising" or "Avatar: Elemental War"
Creation of these types of articles will result in a warning. Continued creation of such articles (except articles in the first category) will result in blocking. (See further below for blocking policy.)
The following types of articles should be created:
- Articles about characters
- Articles about locations
- Articles about animals
- Articles about major events
Article titles should have the first letter of every word capitalized, except for prepositions e.g. "of", "in". Articles for characters must not use the character's title e.g. "Avatar Aang", "Fire Lord Zuko", "Master Pakku".
NOTE: One must establish the notability of articles about major events. Articles such as "Duel of Zhao and Zuko (Siege of the North)" will be deleted.
Anyone should feel free to add to and improve articles on this wiki. There are however several rules.
Articles should be structured logically. For longer pages, there must be an adequate introduction that establishes the notability of the article and provides a short summary of the topic of the article.
Articles should be as factually accurate as possible. Information from Nick.com is true and cannot be challenged unless otherwise stated in Nick.com and Official Errors. Do not add impossible or improbable speculation e.g. do not add "Airbenders can bend fire because fire is air".
Articles should use formal language. Articles must be neutral in point of view. Opinionated text may be removed at any time without discussion.
Major changes to articles (including changes to profile pictures) must be discussed at the talk page first. Major changes that have not been discussed may be undone at any time.
Edit wars are not allowed. If your edit is undone once or twice, it should be taken to the talk page before a mass amount of pointless edits ensue.
No article can be considered too long. The only times information can be removed from an article is if it is out of place or any other valid objection to the text occurs.
Quotes may be added to any page. However, Quote Boxes must not be added to nation pages or Bending pages. Quote boxes should only be used once in every article, at the top of the page. Quotes for battle pages should be the color of the instigator of the overarching conflict.
Allies may be added to the infoboxes of characters. However, only major allies can be added e.g. do not add the Old Fisherman as Aang's ally.
Translations of Chinese of key terms can be added to articles, but only if the Chinese being translated actually appeared in official material.
Article headings should have the first letter of every word capitalized, except for prepositions e.g. "of", "in". Article headings are standardized.
These headings should appear in this order if they are needed in an article:
- History is always used for the background history of the article's subject. It must be the first heading. On event articles, it is the background that led to the actual event. Never name such sections anything else other than "History".
- Trivia sections are permitted; they must always use this title to make this clear.
- See Also is always used for sections that include links to relevant articles.
The word "the" should never be used to start a heading e.g. "Battle" instead of "The Battle".
For characters, the following headings should be used in order if needed:
- Appearances (and References)
- See Also
For cities, the following headings should be used in order if needed:
- Layout and Description (just "Layout" on Ba Sing Se)
- (Any other headings for notable aspects)
- Notable Figures
- See Also
For battles, the following headings should be used in order if needed:
- Appearances (and References)
For relationships, the following headings should be used in order if needed:
- Love Interests
Articles should have images where needed. For most articles, the profile image (first image on the page) should be 300px, but images after this should be 250px. There should be spaces both above and under the image coding. There are exceptions, but exceptions are only given for certain reasons, and usually after discussion.
Articles for characters should have profile images that show the character's face and give a good representation of their personality. They should also be adequately lit, and the character should preferably be in their native nation's clothing. Do not change the profile pictures of any character that is a main character or a major secondary character yourself. Also, be aware that new images should stay for at several months at the least. If you want a change of profile picture for a character:
- Suggest change on relevant talk page
- Have 2 different people also support your change
- Put up a gallery of image options (at least 4)
- Put up a vote for the new image
Galleries that are put up before the correct procedures will be removed.
Articles should make use of template messages where needed:
- Template:Stub should be used on articles that are very short, or provide limited information.
- Template:UC should be used on articles that are new and are under construction. Do not use this template on older pages.
- Template:Needshelp should be used on articles that are not new and have structural, conventional and/or factual errors.
- Template:Images should be used on articles that require one or more images.
Articles should also have these templates:
- Infobox templates (for characters, events, locations)
There are other templates that should be used at certain times. The full list is available at Avatar Wiki:Templates.